Menu

Do you all remember my pregnant friend who had a stroke 7 months ago?

Another update!!! AWESOME NEWS!!!!! She's with Paul a lot of the time and she got to nurse him. She was sedated because she was getting very agitated coming out of the anesthesia and kept trying to pull her tubes out. Once she realized that the only way she could hold Paul was to remain calm, she did. She is now off the breathing machine and sedation. YEAH!!!!!

Update: Baby Paul is here. Please keep praying. She pushed for a few pushes and his heart rate decreased WAY too much. They put her out with general anesthesia did a c-section. They had a hard time intubating her and she is currently in the ICU at University of Michigan under sedation. I'm not sure why at this point. Paul is having a hard time coming around, but he's here and also in the ICU. Mom and babe haven't met yet.

I'm scared for her.

She's in labor!!! And, she's scared to death. Her stroke was caused by blood clots brought on by the pregnancy. They've had to take her off all the anti-clotting meds incase she needs a c-section. She and her husband are very worried she'll have a stroke or bleed to death during labor. The doctors are very much on top of things, but even they admit they've never had a woman deliver after such a major stroke (she wasn't expected to live - had to re-learn how to talk, walk, eat, etc).

She's at the University of Michigan hospital and has wonderful care.

Anyway, so many of you were praying for her and her family during the stroke and recovery that I thought you'd like an update!

Edited by Jennifer in MI

Glad to hear she is at U of M. My first thought was, make sure she is at a top notch place for both her and the baby.

Any idea on if the baby suffered any problems?

They don't think so. She's had a number of ultrasounds that show no issues. But, quite a lot of the medication she was on for the stroke was contra-indicated for pregnancy. So, they don't know yet.

I have always believed that there is some purpose for this baby. There's a REASON he survived. So, he'll be protected through this delivery. I'm suddenly anxious about HER though. I'm also glad she's at U of M!

Praying for her. Hope they are making her walk and once she can't putting her in these special stocking type things that squeeze and relax the legs alternately. It really helps prevent blood clots. I hope you post about her after the birth because while I am done with having babies, I am interested in procedures for the future for my own daughter who has the same hereditary blood clotting problem as I do.

Praying for her. Hope they are making her walk and once she can't putting her in these special stocking type things that squeeze and relax the legs alternately. It really helps prevent blood clots. I hope you post about her after the birth because while I am done with having babies, I am interested in procedures for the future for my own daughter who has the same hereditary blood clotting problem as I do.

They definitely have her on those stocking things. I'm not sure if she can still walk. She has an epidural.

:grouphug: to you and your daughter. Did you have problems? I have a friend who has something like this and she had to take Lovenex throughout the pregnancy. I'm not sure what they did during labor.

Interesting though - they cannot find a clotting issue with my friend. They ran all sorts of tests after her stroke. They assume it was due to the pregnancy, but they're not sure. This is her fourth child too.

Interesting though - they cannot find a clotting issue with my friend. They ran all sorts of tests after her stroke. They assume it was due to the pregnancy, but they're not sure. This is her fourth child too.

Maybe she's been healed of the underlying problem. :) Continuing to pray for her and her baby. Hoping to hear good news soon. :grouphug:

They definitely have her on those stocking things. I'm not sure if she can still walk. She has an epidural.

:grouphug: to you and your daughter. Did you have problems? I have a friend who has something like this and she had to take Lovenex throughout the pregnancy. I'm not sure what they did during labor.

Praying for your friend and the baby. I also had to have Lovenox through my last pregnancy. Apparently my blood clotting problem (a protein deficiency) typically shows up during pregnancy resulting in miscarriage (I had 2). Please, keep us posted.

She's in labor!!! And, she's scared to death. Her stroke was caused by blood clots brought on by the pregnancy. They've had to take her off all the anti-clotting meds incase she needs a c-section. She and her husband are very worried she'll have a stroke or bleed to death during labor. The doctors are very much on top of things, but even they admit they've never had a woman deliver after such a major stroke (she wasn't expected to live - had to re-learn how to talk, walk, eat, etc).

She's at the University of Michigan hospital and has wonderful care.

Anyway, so many of you were praying for her and her family during the stroke and recovery that I thought you'd like an update!

I wonder why, in this case, they don't just automatically do the c-section. Are there some risks with c-section and strokes that I don't know about?

That's what I wondered, probably due to my age and because someone I knew died in childbirth because of an unkown cardiac problem. I would think there might be even with a C-section, as you can get blood clots after surgery due to not being mobile for a certain number of hours. After my last surgery (not one of my C-sections) they had these annoying things on my lower legs that massaged them to help prevent strokes, but I'm not sure how common those are.

I'm praying, because she is high risk, but great things can happen! Please let us know the outcome on this thread.

I wonder why, in this case, they don't just automatically do the c-section. Are there some risks with c-section and strokes that I don't know about?

That's what I wondered, probably due to my age and because someone I knew died in childbirth because of an unkown cardiac problem. I would think there might be even with a C-section, as you can get blood clots after surgery due to not being mobile for a certain number of hours. After my last surgery (not one of my C-sections) they had these annoying things on my lower legs that massaged them to help prevent strokes, but I'm not sure how common those are.

I'm praying, because she is high risk, but great things can happen! Please let us know the outcome on this thread.

I don't know exactly. There was a LOT of going back and forth on the issue, I know. I do think that with any surgery, there is the risk of clots. Plus it's just harder on a body. They decided to induce so that they could monitor her more easily. She'll have the epidural in just in case they need to do surgery. I know they aren't going to let her push for long. They are planning on forceps to get the baby out ASAP when it gets to that point.

Just got an update - she's only at 1 cm right now. But, that's without pitocin yet! So, her body seems ready for labor.

I don't know exactly. There was a LOT of going back and forth on the issue, I know. I do think that with any surgery, there is the risk of clots. Plus it's just harder on a body. They decided to induce so that they could monitor her more easily. She'll have the epidural in just in case they need to do surgery. I know they aren't going to let her push for long. They are planning on forceps to get the baby out ASAP when it gets to that point.

Just got an update - she's only at 1 cm right now. But, that's without pitocin yet! So, her body seems ready for labor.

Any news?? I just got on to check on this!!!

Update: Baby Paul is here. Please keep praying. She pushed for a few pushes and his heart rate decreased WAY too much. They put her out with general anesthesia did a c-section. They had a hard time intubating her and she is currently in the ICU at University of Michigan under sedation. I'm not sure why at this point. Paul is having a hard time coming around, but he's here and also in the ICU. Mom and babe haven't met yet.

I'm scared for her.

Oh Jennifer....continuing to pray for the Lord to sustain and strengthen both of them!!:grouphug:

Blessings~

:grouphug: Praying for both of them. I wonder if they couldn't put the baby near her as it might do both of them some good - even if just for a few minutes. :grouphug:

They are in different hospitals, both in ICU. Audora is sedated. I don't think she'd even be aware of him right now. I pray that they'll be together soon though. I can only imagine her anxiety if she's awake and the baby isn't with her. This is a long-prayed for baby!

They are in different hospitals, both in ICU. Audora is sedated. I don't think she'd even be aware of him right now. I pray that they'll be together soon though. I can only imagine her anxiety if she's awake and the baby isn't with her. This is a long-prayed for baby!

Oh no - I never imagined they'd be in separate hospitals. Was she moved, or was he? I'm wondering if they're keeping her sedated to reduce the stress on her body from the pain from the birth and surgery and maybe also to reduce the anxiety of her baby's situation. I know it may not seem as though she's aware of what's going on, but so many people have come out of that state and said that they could hear everything going on around them. It's important for people who are with her to know this so they are aware that she may be hearing what they're saying. I would imagine that lots of positive talk about baby Paul would be good. If she could hold him, it might be so good for her, and for him too, but obviously that will have to wait until the baby can be brought to her. Any more news on how he's doing? Praying for all. :grouphug: