Menu

Please tell dh what's for dinner.

Scrambled eggs and toast? Bacon, if you have time (or can do it in the microwave).

Just as an aside, why don't you have people showering you with food right now? I didn't have to worry about cooking dinner for at least 2 weeks after my last baby was born - I wish I were near you, I'd bring you a meal!

Because we just moved!

We had a bonfire = hotdogs and chips.

That's man food. I'd like a postpartum veggie or two. ;) Demanding, I know.

He heated up a frozen lasagna one night. There was salad to go with it, but he ran out of time. Another night was squash, potatoes, & chicken fried steak. The squash got burned.

The 1st hospital had amazing food, but somehow, they'd always leave the veggies off by accident. Always. And the 2nd hospital had vending machines. :glare:

I'm feeling a little skirvy coming on. :D

We had:

1) mustard puff chicken (chicken in the broiler for 4 min; mix up mayo, scallions, and brown mustard and slather it over the chicken and stick it back in the broiler for another 4 min or until done);

2) roasted veggies (chunks of potato, onion, and carrot, coated w/ olive oil & salt, and roasted at 450 degrees), and

3) salad.

Very yummy.

And nothing with the word "puff" in it could authentically be considered man-food, I would think, so it should be safe.

Well, he looked in the freezer again, & lo. There were veggies after all. Some kind of frozen-just-add-chicken-teriyaki thing. Not chili.

I don't know how to articulate what's wrong w/ suggesting chili & pizza a few days after birth. It seems to me to be something innate that one should just *know.* You can imagine how productive *that* conversation was. :lol:

And the fact that his solution when I said "vegetable" was tostadas "because you can put peppers on them, & peppers are vegetables..." Well. I have no words.

Hm. How much does your dh cook? Mine couldn't make chili from scratch, so my expectations would be extremely low if I had to rely on him.

Here are some easy suggestions. If your dh has some kitchen skills, then I can ramp it up.

Spaghetti, salad, bread-I put veggies like eggplant and zucchini in my spaghetti

Pasta salad and rotisserie chicken

Steak, baked potatoes, green beans

Well, he looked in the freezer again, & lo. There were veggies after all. Some kind of frozen-just-add-chicken-teriyaki thing. Not chili.

I don't know how to articulate what's wrong w/ suggesting chili & pizza a few days after birth. It seems to me to be something innate that one should just *know.* You can imagine how productive *that* conversation was. :lol:

And the fact that his solution when I said "vegetable" was tostadas "because you can put peppers on them, & peppers are vegetables..." Well. I have no words.

Huh....I insisted my hubby order a pizza about 30 minutes after my daughter was born. Yummiest pizza ever!

How about Letting him make anything he wants as long as he serves a salad with it. Once you prep the veggies you'll gave salad bar fixin's for days.

GOOD take out pizza with salad (or gourmet veggie pizza)

Frozen ravioli, jarred sauce, bread, and salad

Grilled (or frozen breaded) chicken strips with a salad

Deli or canned soup, grilled cheese, and salad

Thick bread, gently heated deli toast beef, instant gravy from a packet, heat n eat mashed potatoes, and a salad

Freezer enchiladas and a salad

Fish sandwiches (from frozen fish fillets) frozen fries, and salad

Taco meat, shells, cheese, and whatever salad veggies can be served with it; or just make taco salad

These are the things my husband could pull off without freaking out. The cold weather alternative is to either make a giant pot of veggie soup to serve with everything, or roast some root veggies, but either of those things are beyond his culinary skill set.

We had chicken pot pie with biscuits on the top. I use the recipe in the "whole foods for the whole family" cookbook, mostly.

You could do it with exploding can biscuits, or with refrigerator pie crust, but I think the pie crust takes longer to bake. Because the filing is hot, you only need to bake it for the 10-15 minutes it takes for the biscuits to brown.

It's something he could manage for tomorrow, because a lot of the prep work can be done piecemeal (the chopping and biscuit dough mixing if you make from homemade).

Well, he looked in the freezer again, & lo. There were veggies after all.

i'm laughing here.

"And the man wandered in the house, searching for the hidden produce. His journey was long, and he tired greatly when suddenly he was illuminated. The frozen cabinet displayed its bounty and LO! there were vegetables. The man brought them to his weary wife and she saw they were stir fry, and she pronounced them GOOD ENOUGH. And she decreed that tonight there would be stir fry veggies but tomorrow there had better be SALAD, or at least a decent NORMANDY BLEND with butter. And the vegetables should be paired with a protein sufficient to heal her post-partum body that was nourishing their offspring. The wife looked upon her husband and reminded him of his thumbs to cut with, and his eyes to read recipes, and the man was humbled. And grumbling."

i'm laughing here.

"And the man wandered in the house, searching for the hidden produce. His journey was long, and he tired greatly when suddenly he was illuminated. The frozen cabinet displayed its bounty and LO! there were vegetables. The man brought them to his weary wife and she saw they were stir fry, and she pronounced them GOOD ENOUGH. And she decreed that tonight there would be stir fry veggies but tomorrow there had better be SALAD, or at least a decent NORMANDY BLEND with butter. And the vegetables should be paired with a protein sufficient to heal her post-partum body that was nourishing their offspring. The wife looked upon her husband and reminded him of his thumbs to cut with, and his eyes to read recipes, and the man was humbled. And grumbling."

:D

i'm laughing here.

:lol::lol::lol: