Menu

Evening Attire: what does that mean to you?

Which do you find appropriate for 'evening attire' for a dinner at someones house?  

1. 1. Which do you find appropriate for 'evening attire' for a dinner at someones house?

• DH wear suit w/ tie; I wear cocktail dress
    • DH dress shirt no tie w/ jacket; I wear dress pants & 'evening' top (sleevless silk, sequined etc)
    • DH sweater OR sweater w/ dress shirt; I wear dress pants & semi-dressy shirt
    • Other?

To me it means I've got to go shopping. :lol:

Yes, but what exactly would you be shopping for???? LOL

My closet doesn't exactly scream 'evening attire' at this season in life..... so I'd reallllly like to avoid shelling out $$ for a one-time event

It's a home party so I think you have some style room. Do you have something that you could dress up, add jewelry to black pants and sweater?

Exactly! Because its in someones home (and their house is modest) its not quite as simple.....

I've been thinking of black pants w/ either gold silk top (w/ accessories) or a bordeaux colored pleated sleeveless top w/ velvet wrap/shawl & accessories.

Drinks & dinner being hosted at DH's aunts home (modest, suburban) in celebration of grandmas 80th...invitation says "evening attire requested".

Given the setting, what does that mean to YOU?

Without reading any replies:

dh would wear his nicest black jeans and a button up shirt… i'd wear a skirt of some kind (because i don't currently have any jeans that fit) and a pretty sweater. this time of the year it might have reindeer on it. :D

I don't even know what to say. :confused:

It's a birthday party. At someone's home. It isn't the President's birthday party, or the Queen's. It would not have occurred to me (1) to tell people what to wear, or (2) to specify "evening dress." "Evening dress" is formal, that is, men with white ties (white tie is the most formal, with black tie being next) and ladies with long fancy-schmancy dresses.

So I'm guessing whoever is throwing the party just wants people to dress nicely. So that would be no jeans or tennies for anyone, jacket with tie for men, nice dress or dressy pants for women.

Normally, I would have no problem wearing pants to a function like this, and DH a nice shirt. But if the invitation specifies "evening attire", I would interpret this to mean an actual suit for DH and a dress (cocktail length, not ballroom) for myself.

Little Black Dress sounds about right.

How formal is your aunt?

I would think a nice short dressy/evening dress would be fine for you. (I have a somewhat stringent definition of cocktail dress.)

but then, I've been corrupted by Miss Manners, and can't stand a wing collar shirt on a man in anything but white tie and tails.

I voted "other."

Evening attire would be me in a gown and dh in a tuxedo, whether or not it was in someone's home. If ds11 was with us (which he usually is,) he would be wearing his tuxedo, as well. If your family is less formal, or if you're simply not sure, definitely call and ask for a definition of "evening attire," as the term is somewhat vague. Cocktail attire, black tie, or white tie make sense to me, but "evening attire" isn't a term we would use, so I'm not at all confident about making suggestions about what you should wear.

Better to call and be sure, than to show up underdressed. (Overdressed isn't nearly as bad!)

Generally, I'm thinking cocktail dress, suit, tie. But if it's in Colorado, the second option might still be appropriate. Things are so much more casual -- after 16 of the last 17 years in Denver, Salt Lake and Austin, I find myself wishing for somewhere to go to dress up, but they're all such casual towns, getting too dressed up makes you conspicuous.

I know what the various dress codes mean (black tie, semi-formal etc) in a traditional 'event' context but was stumped as to what the hostess means in THIS context (dinner in suburban home w/ kids invited).

I think we're going to email her just to be sure, but I'm pretty confident she is simply trying to make it special (i.e don't where jeans & sneakers) as she is not a formal person at all- neither is grandma. :)

Exactly! Because its in someones home (and their house is modest) its not quite as simple.....

I've been thinking of black pants w/ either gold silk top (w/ accessories) or a bordeaux colored pleated sleeveless top w/ velvet wrap/shawl & accessories.

These sound lovely! And if you don't have to go shopping, even lovelier! :D

I think he will feel like a small minority if he doesn't. There is no "evening attire" that would be less dressing that a suit and tie for gentleman.

It's always easier for women, if easier means more choices (I guess fewer choices would seem easier for half the women). There are very dressy pant options for women, so when you say, "Pants and an evening top" I think that could pass muster, depending on the whole look.

But I think you would be more comfortable in a cocktail dress, and since the event is honoring an 80 year old, I would err on the side of conservative. I would wear a dress or skirt that is rather dressy.

Generally, I'm thinking cocktail dress, suit, tie. But if it's in Colorado, the second option might still be appropriate. Things are so much more casual -- after 16 of the last 17 years in Denver, Salt Lake and Austin, I find myself wishing for somewhere to go to dress up, but they're all such casual towns, getting too dressed up makes you conspicuous.

don't move to seattle. people wear "grunge" to the ballet. yuck.

So true! I hesitated adding the caveat that we're in CO and well, as you said, its very casual and being dressed up makes one conspicuous...I didn't want to offend fellow CO folks, as I just moved here. :) People look very nice, but don't 'dress up' :)

At this point, I'm leaning towards dress pants w/ silk top simply because its chilly- LOL

So true! I hesitated adding the caveat that we're in CO and well, as you said, its very casual and being dressed up makes one conspicuous...I didn't want to offend fellow CO folks, as I just moved here. :) People look very nice, but don't 'dress up' :)

At this point, I'm leaning towards dress pants w/ silk top simply because its chilly- LOL

In red above, sounds lovely. Dh in a suit, I would imagine. Tend to agree with those who said dear aunt wants to make sure no one shows up wearing pajama bottms, t-shirts and flip flops. Wear fabulous shoes or a gorgeous silk scarf or necklace.

don't move to seattle. people wear "grunge" to the ballet. yuck.
That was the other year. The kids were newborn, 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 when we moved there, so we didn't get out much. When I did and went to the mall, I kept getting attacked by the overpopulation crowd or scolded for putting my dd on a leash -- one of my boys wasn't walking and the other is special needs (clubfoot and other birth defects) and couldn't walk far, a triple stroller was out of the budget, and she was a wanderer.