Menu

Trader Joe's and Aldi

I love Trader Joe's. They are the only place where I can find frozen shrimp without TSP. We also get Joe's Os - store brand Cheerios, huge box, $1.99 - Joe-Joes - Oreos, but better - and their tongol tuna ($1.49), olive oil, canola, maple syrup... Most things are minimal ingredients/processing, very tasty, and a great price.

Aldi's is very cheap. They mainly stock their own generic brand, so if you don't mind Aldi's brand, they have great deals on basics.

Trader Joe's concentrates more on natural and organics. Their prices are good compared to Whole Foods or the natural section of most major grocery stores. Their frozen food section is unbeatable in taste and quality.

I am not a big Aldi's fan, but I do like their string cheese and their hummus.

I strongly prefer TJs. Once you have a Joe Joe (their version of Oreos), it is all downhill. Don't even get me started on the candycane joe joes that are out at Christmas time.

We don't do many convenience foods but I find their stuff great for when DH is traveling or the alternative would be dinner out somewhere at 4x the price. Frozen pizzas, mandarin chicken, etc.

The produce at my Tjs is hit or miss (they prepackage it). When I was living in a different state and could buy wine in-store, the Charles Shaw "three buck chuck" wine (chardonnay for us) was pretty great for the price. My parents bring us a case when they visit. TJs has some great pantry staples for a great price, and no HFCS or other weird ingredients. Pasta sauces, jarred simmer sauces to add to a quick crockpot dinner, etc.

They are owned by the same company, originally German-based (not sure now if that is the case).

Trader Joe's is about organic, not as processed type food. It's not ALL organic, but most of it is. Most of it is TJ brand. If you are comparing prices to like-minded stores, ie Whole Foods and other "organic, natural" stores, TJ's beats them every time. It's small store but packed with amazing products. Love it!! The staff is always friendly and helpful. I always find something extra to add to my cart, :D.

Aldi's is about cheap food. I wasn't impressed, kind of felt like an old, dirty store, but I hear it varies on location as far as "ambiance". I think you even have to "rent" a shopping cart for a quarter, or something. I've heard that their food is good, and cheap, but personally, the two times I went in, I just kind of walked through, I just didn't fell pulled to shop. I kind of felt like I was at the Dollar General of grocery stores. Nothing against Dollar General personally, but I kinda hate that store....lots of junk at cheap pricing, that will generally break sooner rather than later.

We don't have Aldi's here, but knowing that the idea is to get basics as cheaply as possible, I wouldn't go out of my way for it. What you save probably doesn't even make up for the gas money. But if you're in that area anyway, it might be worth stopping by.

Trader Joe's has so many things that you just can't get anywhere else. And so many interesting things to try. For me it would be worth it to make a special trip, but I'd probably only go every other month and just stock up. Though come to think of it, when the closest one was an hour away I didn't really make a special trip. I would go there whenever I was in that town (2-3 times a year), but I didn't go just to go to TJ's. But I would totally understand someone who would do that.

Most of the grocery stores around here do the shopping cart thing - you get your quarter back when you return the cart...

They do that here, too. And it's always on rainy, windy days that I realize I don't have a quarter and have to run back to the car to get one... :glare:

But the quarter thing really keeps the parking lots clear of renegade carts, which I think is a good thing.

... Once you have a Joe Joe (their version of Oreos), it is all downhill. Don't even get me started on the candycane joe joes that are out at Christmas time.

Just don't go overboard. I used to *love* these - I ate them throughout December, and bought extra boxes to save & eat until their "best by" date in March or so.

Now I am sick to death of them. I won't buy a single box this year. The thought makes me ill. :ack2:

Love Trader Joe's!

I typically buy hummus, some organic veges, Kefir, butter, organic yogurt, dried fruit (apricots and tart cherries), nuts of all kinds, coconut curry sticks (frozen), frozen chicken, salmon, veges, organic blueberries; canned low-fat salmon, TJ's organic ketchup, barbecue sauce, blue corn chips, peach salsa, 100% cranberry juice, and organic dark chocolate bars. Favorite treats include meringue cookies (addictive), the raspberry gel-filled chocolate sticks (these go in Christmas stockings), the peppermint oreo-type cookies, & pumpkin butter.

I strongly prefer TJs. Once you have a Joe Joe (their version of Oreos), it is all downhill. Don't even get me started on the candycane joe joes that are out at Christmas time.

:iagree: We got the Halloween Joe Joes this year, and we ate them all in one day. We never do that, but they were so good. :tongue_smilie:

No Aldi's here, so I can't comment on that.

But I go to Trader Joe's weekly. Their prices are much better on some products than at the grocery store, and they have products that the grocery store doesn't have. Quality is great, and they stand behind everything they sell. If you try a product and don't like it, they will refund your money. I bought some raspberries there recently and the underside of many were moldy. I took it back and not only did they apologize and immediately refund my money, they went and pulled all the other raspberry packages to check them. My grocery store won't do that.

Two dc are in college our of state, and there are no Trader Joe's. They miss it and ask me to send them specific items. This week I sent them each a package of TJ's Pumpkin Bread mix, a can of TJ's Pumpkin Spice coffee, and a bag of TJ's pumpkin granola, along with some other assorted goodies. They are thrilled. Dd plans to buy a lot of her favorite non-perishable TJ's items, like granola, and take it back with her when she returns to school after Christmas break.

I would have a difficult time without a Trader Joe's around.

Aldi's: milk, eggs, butter, cheese, salsa, tortilla chips, tacos, guacmole, hummus, corn flake cereal, bread, Greek yogurt, frozen raspberries, fresh vegs of ALL kinds, fruit, frozen asparagus, frozen broccoli, potatoes, T-paper, tissues, sugar, salt, spices - I LOVE the steak seasoning for chicken! Aldi's has the BEST prices of ANY place around!

TJ's: bok choy, sorbet, brownie mix (the BEST), trail mix, bread, blue corn chips, Indian frozen meals, frozen fish, Jasmine brown rice, French roast coffee, tomato sauce, pasta, olive oil, canola oil, pop tarts (TJ brand), croissants, TJ's Greek yogurt, frozen pizza, coconut milk, ...

Edited by MIch elle

I've been to both Aldis in Raleigh, and I couldn't figure out what the fuss was about. They were small and not particularly clean or attractive. They don't carry a very wide variety of foods. OTOH, Trader Joe's is a sensory feast. The store is full of interesting colors and smells that make it fun even if you don't buy anything. Their products are surprisingly inexpensive.

Right now, our Aldi has cookies that are identical to the girl scout thin mints!! A box is only $1.49. (Much better than the overpriced girl scout cookies). I bought about 15 boxes and store them in my freezer. YUM!!! They also have the girl scout cookie that has caramel and coconut.

My TJs list:

Irish breakfast tea

Coffee

Granola

Cheeses

Pesto chicken

Curry chicken

Seasoned lamb

Pumpkin pancakes (haven't made them yet)

Joe Os

Tea tree conditioner

Lemongrass spring rolls?

Pork potstickers

Veggie shu mai

Teriyaki chicken

Orange chicken

Frozen seafood medley

Pizza dough

Sauces

Korma sauce

Pizza sauce

Pasta

Olive tapenade

Smoked oysters

Crackers

Olive oil

Chai latte

Brown rice

Yogurt

Granola

Fruit leathers

Mango lemonade

That's what I can think of. I'm sure there's more. I LOVE their store. I buy my vitally important Irish breakfast tea there. It cost about 1/4 what I used to spend on Twinings and it's just as good. They built a store ten minutes from my house a few years ago. It changed my life :D

No Aldi here, but we do love our TJ. It's almost eerie that they can provide such good quality at the prices they do (especially for cheese; their excellent cheese is usually about a third the price of similar cheese at the regular grocery).

And as others have said, some of the things they sell are hard to find elsewhere (such as whole-wheat couscous, Grade B maple syrup, and fresh mozzarella sticks). Plus, their mailed circulars crack me up. Goofy, florid descriptions reminiscent of the old J Peterman catalog.

I save money by shopping at Aldi, and I do like a lot of their stuff. You will have to be careful if you have food allergies in your family though - some things I just have to get at a "regular" grocery store (one that carries name brands) because my husband has a lot of allergies. I have to drive about 30 minutes to mine and I try to only go once/month. I take my 10yo with me and we each push a cart - ugh. :tongue_smilie: But last week, I got 2 FULL carts of food for $240, and that included stocking up on a lot of baking supplies for the holidays. I could NOT have done that anywhere else, even WalMart.

If you do decide to try it - bring your own grocery bags and a quarter to put in the cart to unlock it (you get it back when you return your cart). You will have to bag your own groceries. They accept cash and debit but I'm not sure about credit or checks. (If you forget your bags you can buy some there; I think their big plastic ones are a dime each.) Aldi does not have a lot of....ambience. So if asthetics are important to your shopping experience, you will probably hate it. But if you're just looking for a good deal, you might like it. They don't take coupons.

We don't have a TJ's, but I've heard a lot of good things about it.

I strongly prefer TJs. Once you have a Joe Joe (their version of Oreos), it is all downhill. Don't even get me started on the candycane joe joes that are out at Christmas .

I was in our TJ's today and THE CANDY CANE JOE JOES ARE IN!!!! Along with lots of the other Christmas cookies.

We don't have either near here, but I will stop at Aldi's when I am traveling to a "shopping" town. I went this week and the prices versus my local WalMart (or Kroger) were awesome. I bought Honey Crisp apples for half what they want here. Same with frozen fruit (for smoothies). Greek yogurt was $0.89 a container - versus $1.29 here when it's not on sale (or $1 on sale). Broccoli was 99 cents, a 10 pound bag of potatoes $1.99, sandwich meat was $2.69, grapes were cheap, too. I stocked up on produce and a couple of other things and was shocked at how cheap it was. I wish we had one here.

I like TJ and would shop if we had one here, but I'm not so overly impressed that I'd make a trip.

Aldi's is very cheap. They mainly stock their own generic brand, so if you don't mind Aldi's brand, they have great deals on basics.

Trader Joe's concentrates more on natural and organics. Their prices are good compared to Whole Foods or the natural section of most major grocery stores. Their frozen food section is unbeatable in taste and quality.

:iagree:

Our area just got an ALDI. I cannot wait for TJ!! I loved them back in CA. TJ's produce is very good quality. I loved buying the salads and deli dishes for splurges. I stock up my pantry with ALDI as I can get more with my $$ compared to Walmart and the quality is good: soups, pastas, cereals, popcorn, cake mixes (devil's food is MOIST and yummy!), frostings, flour, sugar, oil, spices, condiments, and so much more. So far, the only things from ALDI we did not like were the sliced american cheese, light sour cream, and frozen plain chicken (but the frozen marinated chicken is good).

Use TJs for produce if it is nearby. I loved TJs!!

No Aldi stores here.

Just got back from my bi-weekly Trader Joe's run. We totally love that store! In addition to what everyone else said, they will give you a list of gluten-free, vegan, vegetarian, etc, items either online or at the customer service desk. Our food-allergy laden family can find lots of pick from & not feel one teeny bit deprived.:001_smile:

Some of our faves/staples from TJ's are:

bananas (something like 19 cents a pound)

organic free-range fresh chickens

dairy-free milks (rice, coconut)

cinnamon almonds

Thai lime and chili spiced cashews

gluten-free ginger snaps

chocolate meringues

Pound Plus dark chocolate bars

hummus assortment tray

guacomole making kits

natural ketchup

Arrabiata pasta sauce

brown basmati rice

frozen salmon and tuna steaks

black bean taquitos

sunflower seed butter

goats milk cheese

sweet potato chips

blue tortilla chips

tea tree conditioner

polenta

black beans

refried beans

veggie fried rice (frozen)

Udi's g/f breads at great prices

natural maple syrup

chocolate sorbet

frozen fruits of all types

asiago cheese

Greek yogurt

almond nut meal

candied ginger

sweet and savory trail mix

granola

and wines of all types

& I'm sure that I'm missing about a hundred other favorite things!? Today I came home with a huge stalk of fresh brussel sprouts. Tomorrow we'll roast them with olive oil and garlic...yum.:)

My only complain is that I have to drive over half an hour to get to the nearest TJ's! My kids in CA are soooo lucky; they both live within biking distance.

Their newsletter, the Fearless Flyer, is loads of fun to read.

I shop at Aldi when I get a chance. Their prices are dirt cheap.

Things I particularly like from Aldi:

Cookies (Fudge Stripe are yummy!)

Eggs/Dairy Products

Traditional spaghetti sauce

Frozen corn

Frozen peas

Hummus

Frozen orange juice concentrate

I've tried and hated their version of Goldfish crackers, their version of cheddar Chex Mix, and their Italian dressing (maybe it was the zesty kind? Blech.). I'm also not a big fan of their canned green beans. Although, if I put in enough salt, pepper, chicken broth, and a little vegetable oil, I can salvage them. Sigh. Their produce is hit and miss. I buy a lot of other things there. Much of it is not the best, but it's not bad either, especially when you consider the price.