Menu

Would you even consider this (minivan)

The good: It's a Honda w/ about 140k, priced under $4k. Dh drove it, & he said it's really smooth--one of the nicest cars he's driven. Very clean on the inside, etc.

The bad: It's got a salvaged title. The guy (friend of owner; it's parked on his business lot) says the van was driven through some chicken wire or something & the body damage was enough to cause the salvaged title.

Obviously, we'll check out the story, Car Fax, etc. But is it worth putting more time into it? For what it is, my first question was why it hadn't sold yet, & after reading about salvaged titles...well, I understand.

Finally, if you would consider it, I have a question about price. It's been listed about $500 below the Kelley Blue Book price for a "good" condition vehicle & that price has been subsequently dropped to about $100 below the "fair" condition price. Dh thinks that's reasonable for the (supposed) condition of the car. He thinks that if not for the title, the car looks like it's in good to excellent condition. Fwiw.

KBB says that w/ a salvaged title, it's automatically considered "poor" condition, so I wonder if the price is *still* too high, considering that it would be difficult to resell.

Dh is trusting. I'm a skeptic. I generally figure the right answer is somewhere between our two gut reactions. :lol:

:bigear:

Edited by Aubrey

Honda's a good vehicle. I think the hesitation here is due to the amount of damage it's sustained.

And for that kind of mileage, depending on the year, I don't really see $4k as that great a price.

It's a 2000. I haven't seen *any* Hondas (other than this one) for under about 6 or 7k. And most of those have 200k miles on them.

Not that I'm saying it IS a good deal, lol, just by *far* the best I've seen.

I'd just research it carefully. I would kick myself for passing up a deal like that if I hadn't thoroughly checked out my fears about condition beforehand. Get a mechanic or two to look it over.

I love this quote from the about.com site:

The price is going to seem right and you’re really going to want to buy it.

These things *never* turn out to be a good deal. Unless it's someone else, not me, buying it. :glare: :lol:

We bought a VW with a salvage title years ago. It was great for a few years and then we started having trouble with it. My husband was hit from behind which seemed to only leave a cosmetic mark on the bumper but then we started having major issues. I am sure that this would not be the issue with all vehicles. Just something to think about.... I'd probably want to get it for a great price in order to take the risk.

I don't think a salvage title is a bad thing. Here, all of the cars we have ever owned since being married have had salvage titles. It depends on your plans for the car. We buy them, after having them checked out to see what it needs, repair them if needed, then drive them until they really and truly die or are wrecked beyond reasonable costs to fix. Also, we only keep liability insurance on them. It has been better for us to own 3 salvage title cars and keep liability on them. One car for me, one for my husband, and one in case to drive if one needs repairs or dies. Because of this system, we pay a lot less in insurance, have a back up vehicle that didn't cost us very much, and we don't have any car payments.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our Ford Winstar literally self destructed at 110K miles. I will never, ever buy another Ford.

Dawn

So would it be better to go w/ something like a Ford? There are plenty of those that people want to get rid of. :lol:

...We buy them, after having them checked out to see what it needs, repair them if needed, then drive them until they really and truly die or are wrecked beyond reasonable costs to fix. Also, we only keep liability insurance on them. It has been better for us to own 3 salvage title cars and keep liability on them. One car for me, one for my husband, and one in case to drive if one needs repairs or dies. Because of this system, we pay a lot less in insurance, have a back up vehicle that didn't cost us very much, and we don't have any car payments...

We do something similar, but not with salvage vehicles - with cars from the auto auction. We automatically add $2,000 to the price to come up with a reasonable price for a vehicle we're interested in. Then if it needs a new transmission or other major work (you can start them up but can't drive them), we're still within our price range. Unless the car is extremely nice, we'll pay less than $1,000...and usually more like $500.

Cash for Clunkers really did a number on the used car market; all the inexpensive cars were traded in for $4,500 and now we're just starting to see some reasonably priced used cars hit the market.

Our Ford Winstar literally self destructed at 110K miles. I will never, ever buy another Ford.

Dawn

Ah, true - I did have a windstar that died on me. Did you know they were SO bad, that they dared not name the new year's models "Windstars"? It's something similar but I can't recall what it was...

But the Ford Explorers and Broncos we've had have kept running until the bodies literally fell apart! lol My old Aerostar van was a gem too!

Tried and true Ford models are truly good vehicles. It's when they go tinkering around with new stuff that they have trouble.

Dawn

On the other hand, we just sold a Windstar that was still going strong at 206k miles. Dh has a Ford Freestar (work vehicle) that is doing fine at 130k miles.

Pencil Pusher,

When you look at the Car Fax, it will tell you what the salvage title is for. You will know if the vehicle had body damage, frame damage, flood damage, etc. That will help you determine if the van is worth the risk.

Vehicles with a salvage title are almost always insurable. If it's the first time it's been registered after being 'salvaged' (doesn't sound like this is your circumstance) your MVD will probably require an inspection.

My dh has owned a few salvaged vehicles. It's a case-by-case thing for us, deciding whether to buy the vehicle. It can be a great deal or your worst nightmare.

Do your research, have the vehicle checked out by two different mechanics and offer a really low price.

Best wishes!

It should be insurable. We bought a 1993 Salvaged Car in 1995. DH still drives it. Complete with a "don't laugh, it's paid for" bumper sticker. The stupid thing gets 30 mpg in town so he won't get rid of it.

I would be more concerned with the amount of miles on the car. As long as you are prepared for it to have old-age issues, then you should be ok.

It really depends on the model, but 140K is not bad mileage for a Honda. They go on forever. Definitely have a mechanic take a look at it, and check with your insurance company - after you check Carfax of course. Start there and find out why it was salvaged and if it's worth buying. If you decide to go for it, I'd work on getting the price down. It's not bad, especially for a Honda, but not good either.

The bad: It's got a salvaged title. The guy (friend of owner; it's parked on his business lot) says the van was driven through some chicken wire or something & the body damage was enough to cause the salvaged title.

Okay, in my experience, an insurer will total a car if the repairs will cost more than the value of the car. I can be a perfectly good car with cosmetic body damge. HOWEVER, If the body damage was that extensive to cause it to be totaled, it should be apparent. If damage is not easily discerned, i'd be VERY suspicious and probably drop my interest now. If it was fixed, I'd want to see the repair records and would go over them with the mechanic.

I can't imagine someone fixing what would be cosmetic damage and turnind it around and selling it and being reputable. I would be VERY skeptical that it's the truth. I know there are unscrupulous salvagers will snag flood damaged cars with salvaged titles (pull up the carpet and start looking for mold), clean them up and resell them to unsuspecting buyers.

Okay, in my experience, an insurer will total a car if the repairs will cost more than the value of the car. I can be a perfectly good car with cosmetic body damge. HOWEVER, If the body damage was that extensive to cause it to be totaled, it should be apparent. If damage is not easily discerned, i'd be VERY suspicious and probably drop my interest now. If it was fixed, I'd want to see the repair records and would go over them with the mechanic.

I can't imagine someone fixing what would be cosmetic damage and turnind it around and selling it and being reputable. I would be VERY skeptical that it's the truth. I know there are unscrupulous salvagers will snag flood damaged cars with salvaged titles (pull up the carpet and start looking for mold), clean them up and resell them to unsuspecting buyers.

I find the story a little too convenient, too. We were going to go back & look at it together today, but...I don't know, I'm feeling a little too close to time at the moment, & other things came up.

I hadn't thought about flood damage, though. That would be AWFUL for dh in particular. And a new baby? Ugh! Thanks for the reminder--we were just thinking framish stuff.

I am a big bargain shopper, so I truly can understand the appeal. BUT, we've been burned big time on used vehicles, especially with dodgy titles or other "issues" and I would never do it again. We bought a used van once from a Pastor and his wife who seemed sweet as could be, and we spent A LOT of money trying to get it to pass inspection and get registered and it was the worst money pit ever. We ended up spending what we had, having to wait until we could afford the rest of the work, and then finally selling it a year later for a quarter of what we had paid, excluding the repairs, without ever having driven it.

The only way I'd buy a salvaged title vehicle ever again is from someone I knew personally, who had detailed records of the repairs done, and who had already had it retitled themselves.

I love my 2000 Honda Odyssey! No mechanical problems--it's never in the shop. I can't speak to the salvage title issues, but since there have been some posts saying this model year has problems I just want to share that that has not been our experience at all. Our previous car was an American model. We love having a Japanese car again--very few oil changes needed, no mechanical issues. It is just always there for us.

We sell used cars and I own a tahoe with a salvaged title. It was stolen/recovered and had to be basically reassembled with some front end damage. If it is repaired properly then it shouldn't be a problem. Have someone check for frame damage and body repirs that were done with filler instead of relacement parts or dent removal. Check with the dmv to make sure you can get it registered particularly if it has an out of state title.