Menu

How would you feel if someone took your kids out to dinner...

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not appreciate it. Many people can have only one drink and not be affected; by the same token, many cannot. While the driver may know his or her level very, very well, it is difficult for anyone else to know for sure. It is not an appropriate risk to take with a friend/acquaintance's child.

It's presumptuous to assume that the other parent is okay with any level of drinking and driving.

Faith

Did your kids see this? I have told my children not to get in the car with people who have been drinking. This could create a tense situation if my children followed my rules in that setting. :001_smile:

That's a good point, but if I told my kids not to get in the car with somebody who was drinking, I'd more be thinking of peers. When my kids are teens, I will NOT when they driving with a peer who's had even one drink. For one thing, it's illegal, since teens aren't allowed to drink at all. For another, teens are already at a much higher risk while driving and likely have lower alcohol tolerance, so there's a much greater chance of even one drink affecting their driving.

But, I would at the same time want them to be respectful of adults and of cultural differences. If they were at a dinner where the adults had a glass of wine with dinner, I would want them to not have a scene about one of those adults driving them home. I'd certainly be okay with them having a scene if one of the adults had several drinks or was obviously drunk, but even though we don't drink regularly here (we'll have a glass of wine or a beer with dinner once or twice a month, at most), I think they should understand that it is common in many cultures and not something to get upset about.

Because a drink with a meal has nothing to do with "getting boozed up". It has nothing to do with "having to have" a drink. For some people, a drink with a meal is a routine part of the meal experience. Only in this country is it such a huge deal.

:iagree:

If I trusted them with my children I would trust their judgment to have a glass of wine/a beer/a cocktail.

I would be very angry about this. Even if that were the norm for that person, I expect them to behave with higher standards when they have my children in their company.

It seems to me that when you are in charge of other people's kids, you act a little differently.

:001_huh: No to both these sentiments. I'm not a fake person. And your kids aren't any better than my kids, so why should I act differently for them? And that isn't even getting into the notion that your standards are "higher" than mine, which they might not be at all to someone else.

So no, I already have high standards and don't feel much inclination to be fake for other people's kids. (Or other adults for that matter. I really stink at whole social politics navigation.) I don't expect it of others either. It wouldn't even occur to me to discuss this or give some list of expectations and guidelines of what they can or cannot do when in the presence of my kids.

For me, the issue would not necessarily be having one drink with a meal, but driving the children of others. Does that make sense? I used to be a Girl Scout leader and I would never dream of having just one drink, even with a meal. The stakes are just too high in my mind, even if well under the limit. They are high enough with my own children, let alone others. If there was some type of accident that one drink would always be the "what if" for me. I would hope other adult drivers would feel that way.

It wouldn't even occur to me to discuss this or give some list of expectations and guidelines of what they can or cannot do when in the presence of my kids.

No, I wouldn't do that either. I would, however, feel a bit uncomfortable if I found out that someone drank and then drove my kids somewhere. Depending on how well I knew them, I'd think twice before giving them the opportunity to do that again.

That's a good point, but if I told my kids not to get in the car with somebody who was drinking, I'd more be thinking of peers. When my kids are teens, I will NOT when they driving with a peer who's had even one drink. For one thing, it's illegal, since teens aren't allowed to drink at all. For another, teens are already at a much higher risk while driving and likely have lower alcohol tolerance, so there's a much greater chance of even one drink affecting their driving.

I've had this discussion very firmly with my oldest. She knows that it is a non-negotiable issue - when she's out with friends even one drink means do not drive.

I'm curious how many children would even be aware of what the adults are drinking. Some may be obvious but a lot of drinks it can be hard for another adult to know, much less a child. I would not want to rely on my children to police the adults drinking when they are out to dinner. If I didn't trust the adults, I wouldn't have them taking my kids out alone.

If I actually told the adults that I didn't want them drinking at all while driving around my children, I would expect them to either abide by that or tell me they didn't feel able to.

So, those of you that have a problem with it, do you tell the parents when they take your children for social outings that you don't want them to drink? It's clear from the responses here that many think one drink with dinner is ok and wouldn't think anything of it.

What I'm trying to say is that maybe if you feel that strongly, you might want to mention that you never drink in front of your children rather than assuming that other parents are going to rise to unexpected higher standards than those that might be considered a social norm. If I were to know that, I would certainly have no problem with honoring those wishes. I don't need the glass of wine so badly that I would want to put it before a relationship. And I think that most people would feel the same way. If they don't, then you probably shouldn't leave your kids alone with them. ;)

So, those of you that have a problem with it, do you tell the parents when they take your children for social outings that you don't want them to drink? It's clear from the responses here that many think one drink with dinner is ok and wouldn't think anything of it.

What I'm trying to say is that maybe if you feel that strongly, you might want to mention that you never drink in front of your children rather than assuming that other parents are going to rise to unexpected higher standards than those that might be considered a social norm. If I were to know that, I would certainly have no problem with honoring those wishes. I don't need the glass of wine so badly that I would want to put it before a relationship. And I think that most people would feel the same way. If they don't, then you probably shouldn't leave your kids alone with them. ;)

;)

No. That seems over-the-top to me.

I think.. my job is to know anyone I leave my kids alone with well enough to decide if they share our feelings. Until I do, the kids aren't alone with them.

No. That seems over-the-top to me.

I think.. my job is to know anyone I leave my kids alone with well enough to decide if they share our feelings. Until I do, the kids aren't alone with them.

That's fair. But sometimes people can surprise you.

My bolding

I don't drink, but this bolded part isn't what I'm saying at all. What would be accurate is that we tell the girls to never drink and drive (when they're of driving age), and that they should never get into the car with someone who's been drinking.

I'm not willing to tell my kids this (until they are older and can understand the situation and make real judgment calls) because we go out and get beer with pizza. I think that can be confusing because technically they wouldn't be allowed to get into the car with us. ;) I could order a rum and coke and the children wouldn't even know.

The best way is to communicate with the adults they are going to be with if you are opposed to it.

Edited by jannylynn

That's fair. But sometimes people can surprise you.

Absolutely.

Honestly, with the exception of my father and step-mother, no one drives my kids around in a vehicle. Sort of.. unspoken agreement. And my kids stay almost solely with family members.

But, I would at the same time want them to be respectful of adults and of cultural differences. If they were at a dinner where the adults had a glass of wine with dinner, I would want them to not have a scene about one of those adults driving them home. I'd certainly be okay with them having a scene if one of the adults had several drinks or was obviously drunk, but even though we don't drink regularly here (we'll have a glass of wine or a beer with dinner once or twice a month, at most), I think they should understand that it is common in many cultures and not something to get upset about.

how do you ascertain which culture it IS ok to have a parent have a drink with and then have them drive? Different cultures don't always have different appearances.

My bolding

I don't drink, but this bolded part isn't what I'm saying at all. What would be accurate is that we tell the girls to never drink and drive (when they're of driving age), and that they should never get into the car with someone who's been drinking.

Understood and a good rule (and I figured that was part of your reason). However, it might be wise to explain (especially with your 12 year old) the difference between driving drunk and adults having a glass of something with dinner. In once case, the person is schnockered and it is absolutely a terrible, potentially fatal idea. In the other, it is part of the dining and food experience, and one beverage to match a meal isn't going to end them up in the ditch. The difference is demonizing a beverage or describing to a point of understanding the potential affects of said beverage.

Edited by LauraGB
more words

I don't get how not having A glass of wine with a meal is holding oneself to a higher standard. It honestly would not even occur to me that people would have a problem with it. One glass of wine would in no way make me anywhere near tipsy or boozed up. How ridiculous.

Now, I had neighbors who drank more than that and drove. When they asked for the number of our sitter, I warned the sitter's mom not to let them drive her home. But, it would not occur to me that one glass of wine with my meal would be a problem.

I hate alcohol. I hate being around drunk people. But an adult having one beverage with a meal would not be impaired. When my DH still drank (he doesn't....I hate it enough that he quit), we would most certainly go out to lunch with the kids and he would have a beer. I wouldn't make him give me the keys. I wouldn't even consider it. And if I thought he was remotely impaired, I would.

Understood and a good rule (and I figured that was part of your reason). However, it might be wise to explain (especially with your 12 year old) the difference between driving drunk and having a glass of something with dinner. In once case, the person is schnockered and it is absolutely a terrible, potentially fatal idea. In the other, it is part of the dining and food experience, and one beverage to match a meal isn't going to end them up in the ditch. The difference is demonizing a beverage or describing to a point of understanding the potential affects of said beverage.

In theory, I do agree with this. But, I'd like to say that I know someone who cannot handle alcohol at all. period. One glass of wine, and she's loopy. So, if I had a rule that said, "Hey my 12 year old... One glass of wine or whatever is okay" and my 12 year old got into a car with that person, my 12 year old would be in real danger. Kids do not have the gift of discernment and so I like to err on the side of caution. Better to draw the line in the sand and have them alive, then have them think "Oh, one or to glasses, NO problem." Then have it turn out to be a tragedy.

It's a no win situation. Either the parent is offending everyone else for having the rule, or an immature individual is left to attempt to discern whether or not someone is okay to drive.

For what it is worth, my brother can also not handle any amount of alcohol whatsoever. A single glass of wine even with food and weighing 186 lbs. makes him feel lightheaded (same guy tends to have every rare side effect to any drug prescribed). So, he has a "you do not ever, ever, ever get in a car with a driver who has consumed any level of alcohol" rule. Maybe he is being judgmental or offensive. But, all he can do is go off his own experience and better safe than sorry.

Faith

Edited by FaithManor
spelling

Also, I put one drink... but honestly... it could probably just as easily be a shared bottle of wine. The relaxed attitude given here for a single glass is the same reaction I get to a shared bottle.. "no biggie".

For a shared bottle, I'd be angry. That absolutely makes people tipsy, but they often don't think that it does. They would not take my children out to dinner again.

In theory, I do agree with this. But, I'd like to say that I know someone who cannot handle alcohol at all. period. One glass of wine, and she's loopy. So, if I had a rule that said, "Hey my 12 year old... One glass of wine or whatever is okay" and my 12 year old got into a car with that person, my 12 year old would be in real danger. Kids do not have the gift of discernment and so I like to err on the side of caution. Better to draw the line in the sand and have them alive, then have them think "Oh, one or to glasses, NO problem." Then have it turn out to be a tragedy.

It's a no win situation. Either the parent is offending everyone else for having the rule, or an immature individual is left to attempt to discern whether or not someone is okay to drive.

For what it is worth, my brother can also not handle any amount of alcohol whatsoever. A single glass of wine even with food and waying 186 lbs. makes him feel lightheaded (same guy tends to have every rare side effect to any drug prescribed). So, he has a "you do not ever, ever, ever get in a car with a driver who has consumed any level of alcohol" rule. Maybe he is being judgmental or offensive. But, all he can do is go off his own experience and better safe than sorry.

Faith

Okay. But are those the same people who will take someone else's children out to dinner and think nothing of ordering a glass of wine? Probably not. I am making assumptions here, it's true (because I don't know the family who took OP's kids out to dinner), but if I didn't know how I would handle it, I would never consider ordering a drink while I was in charge of another's family (or even my own, for that matter, regardless of who was driving).

Soooo...if I'm the kind of person who would have a glass of wine with dinner and then drive a child home, am I NOT the kind of person who should be trusted with other people's children?

Well, it seems there are a whole bunch of us who apparantly can not be trusted with other peoples children.

I don't get how not having A glass of wine with a meal is holding oneself to a higher standard. It honestly would not even occur to me that people would have a problem with it. One glass of wine would in no way make me anywhere near tipsy or boozed up. How ridiculous.

:iagree: I'm just perplexed at the term "higher standard" in this context.

If you've never been to a restaurant where ordering one drink might equal multiple drinks, you haven't been to many restaurants. There are popular chain restaurants with all manner of drinks that are equivalent to more than one drink.

I have been to these places and would not consider that to be one drink even if it is coming in one big mug. (Houlihan's "iced teas" come to mind). Neither would any other responsible adult. This is not the same as a beer or a glass of wine.

ITA. I would have a single shot drink, a margarita as an example and would be very surprised if it was a strong drink. To be honest, I had 3 margaritas at bookclub last week that didn't even produce a buzz (over the course of a 2 hour dinner).

I haven't read all of the replies, so do forgive me if this has been stated, but we have a "do not get into the car if the driver has had any alcohol" rule. Different people react to alcohol in different amounts, so we feel that this is the best rule for our child. Dd knows that we have a glass of wine occasionally, but she also knows that we do so at home, when we have no intention whatsoever of getting into a vehicle. If a friend violated this rule, dd would no longer be permitted to be in a car with them.

I should also mention that I am speaking as someone who has known loss because of a drunk driver. That changes one's perspective dramatically.

ITA. I would have a single shot drink, a margarita as an example and would be very surprised if it was a strong drink. To be honest, I had 3 margaritas at bookclub last week that didn't even produce a buzz (over the course of a 2 hour dinner).

Where do you live? If you order a margarita where I live, it's generally huge.

Heh. Huge enough that if someone told me, "Hey, I had a margarita while I was out with the kids," I would freak! :tongue_smilie:

and they had a drink (alcoholic) with their meal? They're also the driver.

Is this normal and acceptable?

Interestingly, this very issue came up at our house just last night when EK went to a festival with a friend and the friend's mom, who was the driver. EK told us that the mom had at least one drink with dinner, and then drove EK home.

We have a zero tolerance policy. We do not drink. Period. We do not have alcohol in our home, nor do we drink in public. Ever. I am upset that someone whom I trusted with my child chose to drink in front of her and then drive with my child in the car.

We have instructed our children not to ever ride with a friend who has been drinking, and I am certain that if that had been the case, EK would have refused to ride with that person. The situation was made much more difficult because the drinker was the adult who was in charge. I will have a talk with my daughter to make sure that she knows that if this ever happens again, she should call me or dh to pick her up, and refuse to ride with anyone who has been drinking.

The "do not get in car if the driver has had any alcohol" that day?

Personally, I'm going to have to assume that anyone I trust with my children is going to have to have the common sense to not drive while impaired. There is no way for me to be 100% sure that they haven't shared a bottle of wine with only one other person (because a bottle of wine shared between 4 people is really just a small glass each ;) ), or had a dose of painkillers, or didn't sleep last night, or use her cell phone, or whatever. I'd go crazy otherwise.