Menu

WWYD? friend wants me to try something...I really can't so how do I tell her?

I am grain free! 100%... LowCarb'er/Paleo/Primal lifestyle of eating. So NO grains is allowed and I really do not want to eat anything that has grain in it. She told me she is looking into Sprouted spelt and wants me to try her sprouted spelt bread. While she was saying this....I am saying to myself....spelt is a grain and I can't have it/don't wanna/ couldn't eat that....

So how do you handle this? She knows I am grain free by choice (my health is so much better for it....GERD went away, more alter now, lost weight and so on).

What do I need to do in this situation?? btw she assured me that sprouted spelt is not grain as it is before they become grain. HUH?

Holly

I would just be up front and honest.

"I have adopted a grain free diet. My health has significantly improved and I do not feel I can risk cheating on my new lifestyle."

She really should find another friend to try her baking. And she should understand.

Google spelt. It is a grain. Show her the references.

I am grain free! 100%... LowCarb'er/Paleo/Primal lifestyle of eating. So NO grains is allowed and I really do not want to eat anything that has grain in it. She told me she is looking into Sprouted spelt and wants me to try her sprouted spelt bread. While she was saying this....I am saying to myself....spelt is a grain and I can't have it/don't wanna/ couldn't eat that....

So how do you handle this? She knows I am grain free by choice (my health is so much better for it....GERD went away, more alter now, lost weight and so on).

What do I need to do in this situation?? btw she assured me that sprouted spelt is not grain as it is before they become grain. HUH?

Holly

Is she extraordinarily pushy? I would think a simple no thank you would suffice.

Sometimes I find it better to just take the bread and toss it later. It's just that people often don't understand the nuances of certain health issues and choices. It can be very complicated to explain esp. if they start out as a skeptic. Of course, if she expects you to pop it into your mouth right then, you'll have to stick to your guns and say "no".

She honestly might not realize spelt is a grain. :tongue_smilie: Seriously. That could be it.

You wouldn't believe how many times I've been offered food and had to gently remind the other person (ya know, a person like my DAD) that it contains something I can't eat (soy, gluten, oats, etc.).

I just laugh and say, "Thanks Dad, but I can't. Remember? I don't eat anything with [whatever the offending ingredient is] in it."

I will talk to her next time I see her and tell her that even sprouted it still is a grain.

My son is gluten free but follows grain free since I refuse to be a short order cook. :D

I think she probably is assuming that I am gluten intolerant like my son. I do not think I am but I never know since my health issues cleared up going gluten free via grain free.

Will have to stick to my guns. Thanks!!

Holly

Is she extraordinarily pushy? I would think a simple no thank you would suffice.

:iagree:

Why would you have a problem saying no? :confused:

If she is insistent, pick a food you know she hates and tell her you want her to eat some of it. Maybe then she'll get the hint. ;)

We're grain free too. Just tell her that you cannot even take a taste because it would interfere with your diet requirements. Making exceptions on grain-free can easily lead to things getting out of control. If you make it a habit to tolerate exceptions then you'll never be able to say no to her.

She honestly might not realize spelt is a grain. :tongue_smilie: Seriously. That could be it.

You wouldn't believe how many times I've been offered food and had to gently remind the other person (ya know, a person like my DAD) that it contains something I can't eat (soy, gluten, oats, etc.).

I just laugh and say, "Thanks Dad, but I can't. Remember? I don't eat anything with [whatever the offending ingredient is] in it."

When I first had to go gluten-free (about 17 years ago), I would explain to people that I couldn't eat wheat when someone would offer me bread. They would say, "But it's white bread, not wheat." :001_huh: :lol:

There have been times people have made us meals after I've had a baby. I just accept whatever they bring because the rest of the family will eat it. In the case of a close friend, I would take the time to explain why you can't eat it and hopefully she will drop the issue.

She is somewhat pushy. She is also very knowledgeable naturalist and herbalist. I really do value her opinion. She is not understanding the grain-free thing very well. When she told me this I couldn't say anything at the time because another person was with us whom I didn't know. So I kept my mouth shut so I do not embarrass her. I felt that this need to be done in private. I have told her no before but still doesn't get it. An explaination is in order then...Will have to do that next time I see her. (This is my son's girlfriends mother so my son will have to make a decision on whether to stay grain free or not...still have to be gluten free though)

Thanks!

She is somewhat pushy. She is also very knowledgeable naturalist and herbalist. I really do value her opinion. She is not understanding the grain-free thing very well. When she told me this I couldn't say anything at the time because another person was with us whom I didn't know. So I kept my mouth shut so I do not embarrass her. I felt that this need to be done in private. I have told her no before but still doesn't get it. An explaination is in order then...Will have to do that next time I see her. (This is my son's girlfriends mother so my son will have to make a decision on whether to stay grain free or not...still have to be gluten free though)

Thanks!

Unless this person mentally unstable, I'm not even seeing the dilemma here. ?? How on earth would she be embarrassed by the fact that you don't eat grains? <gently> Is it possible that your food preferences are not as important to her as you think they might be? I'm having a hard time seeing her going home and licking her wounds, "WHY OH WHY WON'T SHE TRY MY SPELT BREAD? DIDN'T SHE HEAR ME SAY SPROUTED?! I SHOULD TELL DD TO BREAK UP WITH THAT SNOB'S SON!"

A grain is a grain. Sprouted or not, it is a grain.... Spelt is a grain....

I believe it is still considered an ancient grain, and so it is thought not to contain some of the allergans that are contained in modern wheat species, but it is still a grain....

Read the link I posted earlier in this thread. I doubt that this person is ignorant of the fact that spelt is a grain. She has probably read this link or one like it that says that sprouted grains are digested like a vegetable (since it is sprouted and no longer in pure seed form). I have no idea scientifically if this is correct, but I do know people who have anecdotally told me that their body responds differently to sprouted grains (like Ezekiel 4:9 bread) than to non sprouted ones. Since there are many different reasons to respond badly to grains, it is hard to know if this reasoning would applicable to the OP. And obviously it would be up to the OP to decide if she even wanted to use herself as a guinea pig to see if it would apply. I hate pushiness but I don't think it's fair to paint this person as a total ignoramus either.

Unless this person mentally unstable, I'm not even seeing the dilemma here. ?? How on earth would she be embarrassed by the fact that you don't eat grains? <gently> Is it possible that your food preferences are not as important to her as you think they might be? I'm having a hard time seeing her going home and licking her wounds, "WHY OH WHY WON'T SHE TRY MY SPELT BREAD? DIDN'T SHE HEAR ME SAY SPROUTED?! I SHOULD TELL DD TO BREAK UP WITH THAT SNOB'S SON!"

:iagree:

Your fears seem out of scale to the issue.

When she told me this I couldn't say anything at the time because another person was with us whom I didn't know. So I kept my mouth shut so I do not embarrass her.

Uh, is there some sort of cross-cultural communication difference going on? This sounds like an Asian v Westerner misunderstanding.

I think Jean is on the right track too.

Rosie

Uh, is there some sort of cross-cultural communication difference going on? This sounds like an Asian v Westerner misunderstanding.

I think Jean is on the right track too.

Rosie

The reason I didn't even want to voice that I can't or won't try it in front of this other person is out of respect for my friend. :001_smile: I love her dearly. I am just trying to see if there is a gentle way to go about this when she approaches me next time. Several of you here have given me great advice in how to be gentle in this.

I agree with Jean in her statement "but I don't think it's fair to paint this person as a total ignoramus either". I never intended for this thread to take this type of turn. The friend is a very dear friend of mine. My main issue is about spelt and how to approach the view of it being a grain even though it is sprouted. Also how to talk to her about it.

I got my answer now. I think it is time to stop before this thread gets out of control. ;)

Again thank you for the advice and answers.

Holly

Thanks to all of you!!

Holly

I think I have an analogy that might help. Think of grains/seeds/nuts as plant eggs.

It's very obvious that someone who cannot eat eggs wouldn't eat an egg, but once the chick is hatched it's less obvious if someone can eat it. Chicks are wet when the first hatch because they're coated in egg stuff still. Someone with an egg sensitivity may or may not be able to handle that small amount of egg stuff on a fresh chick, even if they can eat chicken without problems.

You could eat a spelt plant without problems, but a spelt sprout could still be an issue. It's still covered in grain stuff like the chick is coated in egg stuff.

And if that doesn't make sense to anyone else, my defense is that it made perfect sense in my head.

I think I have an analogy that might help. Think of grains/seeds/nuts as plant eggs.

It's very obvious that someone who cannot eat eggs wouldn't eat an egg, but once the chick is hatched it's less obvious if someone can eat it. Chicks are wet when the first hatch because they're coated in egg stuff still. Someone with an egg sensitivity may or may not be able to handle that small amount of egg stuff on a fresh chick, even if they can eat chicken without problems.

You could eat a spelt plant without problems, but a spelt sprout could still be an issue. It's still covered in grain stuff like the chick is coated in egg stuff.

And if that doesn't make sense to anyone else, my defense is that it made perfect sense in my head.

It made sense to me (but that doesn't necessarily mean anything)!:D