Menu

Christian fiction...?

Are you looking for works with obvious Christian themes, or just by people who are Christians, whose faith may be more or less obvious in their writing?

Father Brown mysteries by G.K. Chesterton, along with any of his other fiction

Anything by Tim Powers (magical realism - very fascinating)

The Power and the Glory

Anything by Flannery O'Connor (very strong sacramental imagery)

Dorothy Sayers' Lord Peter Whimsey mysteries

Charles Williams - Descent Into Hell and other novels (NOT easy reads)

I read "Hood" by Stephen Lawhead and hated it but his other books might be good.

Have you heard of Fiction Finder? It's a website put together by the American Christian Fiction Writers, and you can search by genre and other criteria, in order to find something you'll like. It's here: http://www.fictionfinder.com/book

:iagree:

My favorites that a guy would like include Tim Downs and James Scott Bell. There are a ton of good ones so the fiction finder is your best bet.

The Circle Trilogy by Ted Dekker (Green (a new addition), Black, Red, and White)

Zion Chronicles Series by Bodie Thoene

Zion Covenant Series by Bodie Thoene

If you don't want an entire series, pick up The Twilight of Courage, also by Brock & Bodie Thoene.

Pretty much anything by Ted Dekker or Frank Perreti. My husband and I love their stuff. We also like Randy Alcorn. :)

Seconding Ted Dekker, but suggest you start with Thr3e rather than the circle trilogy (or isn't there now a fourth book?). The color books have a different vibe to them, and it would be a shame to miss out on Dekker's other good stuff if you don't like that stitching.

And agreeing with Lewis' Space Trilogy; I'm on chapter 6 of Perelandra right now. But it is typical Lewis, with all his parenthetic comments and pastoral descriptions, so its more demanding of the reader, IMO. He denies they are Biblical allegory, but there are unmistakable parallels, which I have enjoyed.

CS Lewis's Space Trilogy is always a good read.

The Circle Trilogy by Ted Dekker (Green (a new addition), Black, Red, and White)

Circle Trilogy is really great, but pass on the Green book. The trilogy (Black, Red, and White) is complete without it, and Green is just really dumb and makes the whole rest of the series seem hokey. I wish I could go back and un-read it.

Circle Trilogy is really great, but pass on the Green book. The trilogy (Black, Red, and White) is complete without it, and Green is just really dumb and makes the whole rest of the series seem hokey. I wish I could go back and un-read it.

Ugh. Don't you hate it when that happens? I've been so frequently disappointed in "additions" to trilogies that I've just stopped reading them. The author's true story arc is usually the trilogy, period. Any books after that are usually just for sales.

Thanks for the warning, I was thinking maybe I should pick it up. Now I'll take a closer look at some of the other titles mentioned in this thread.

Ted Dekker is always popular with the guys. Also, you might give Stephen Lawhead a try. He's not specifically a Christian author, but his themes definitely reflect a Christian ethos.

:iagree: with the bolded. I've really enjoyed the Stephen Lawhead novels I have read, and I don't normally seek out Christian Fiction.

Seconding Ted Dekker, but suggest you start with Thr3e rather than the circle trilogy (or isn't there now a fourth book?). The color books have a different vibe to them, and it would be a shame to miss out on Dekker's other good stuff if you don't like that stitching.

:iagree: Thr3e is the first book I ever read by Dekker.

Davis Bunn. Here are some good ones of his that are more guy friendly:

The Lazarus Trap

Lion of Babylon

All Through the Night

Black Madonna

Gold of Kings

The Great Divide

Robert Whitlow's books

This series by Blackstock:

Last Light

Night Light...

Stephen Lawhead's Empyrion books are present day/sci fi:

The Search for Fierra

The Siege of the Dome

Not quite as good, but interesting and fairly inexpensive for the Kindle:

Season of the Harvest by Michael R. Hicks

I just got Green through Paperbackswap, but haven't read it. I love Black, Red and White, but thought the extension to the series with the teen books wasn't nearly as good, and will probably go ahead and pass on Green.

Along with Lewis' Space Trilogy, Screwtape Letters and Till We Have Faces- we like all his stuff

Tolkien- don't leave out The Simarillion

In total agreement about Decker's Green. Skip it. (here's my review)

Lawhead- thumbs up- ds 17 recommends Empyerion series

L'Engle- Wrinkle Series, et al

Bark of the Bog Owl series- Jonathon Rodgers (a loose analogy of King David's life).

Karen Hancock- cautiously recommended- romantic elements, ds 17 said was distracting but if you can get around that, it's good.

George MacDonald

Duncan's War by Douglas Bond (trilogy)

The Last Disciple by Hannegraff

The Last Christian by David Gregory

Bethleham books- they have a great selection of historical fiction!

G.H. Henty- my boys enjoy his stuff, despite the template approach- they've learned a TON of history from his stuff!

Edited by laughing lioness

If you want something a little slower and more literary, I'd highly suggest Marilynne Robinson's Gilead and Home. She a novelist who's a Christian rather than a Christian novelist, and they are beautiful, beautiful novels.

For more "manly" Christian fiction, you might want to try Signmund Brouwer.

Edited by twoforjoy

Have you heard of Fiction Finder? It's a website put together by the American Christian Fiction Writers, and you can search by genre and other criteria, in order to find something you'll like. It's here: http://www.fictionfinder.com/book

Great concept, it doesn't seem to work very well though. It lists only one book under MEN (it's a scifi), and none under Science Fiction...

My favorite Christian fiction book I have read this year was Safely Home by Randy Alcorn. It is based on true events of the persecuted church in China. I thought it was life changing.

I have to agree with so many of the suggestions here: I am loving Stephen Lawhead, although I wouldn't consider his books to be Christian in genre. (Although he is sold on Christian websites and by Christian publishers.) I just finished the King Raven trilogy and I really liked The Skin Map. I liked Ted Dekker's Circle trilogy (Red, White, Black; never read Green) and Blink but I hated Immanuel's Veins. (My review HERE.)

I review books for publishers, and that is a fun way to get a wide variety of new reads for free, if you are interested in Christian books. (I review for Booksneeze, WaterBrook Multnomah, Tyndale, and Bethany House.)

My favorite Christian fiction book I have read this year was Safely Home by Randy Alcorn. It is based on true events of the persecuted church in China. I thought it was life changing.

I have to agree with so many of the suggestions here: I am loving Stephen Lawhead, although I wouldn't consider his books to be Christian in genre. (Although he is sold on Christian websites and by Christian publishers.) I just finished the King Raven trilogy and I really liked The Skin Map. I liked Ted Dekker's Circle trilogy (Red, White, Black; never read Green) and Blink but I hated Immanuel's Veins. (My review HERE.)

I review books for publishers, and that is a fun way to get a wide variety of new reads for free, if you are interested in Christian books. (I review for Booksneeze, WaterBrook Multnomah, Tyndale, and Bethany House.)

I am a Booksneeze reviewer, but wasn't familiar with the other options...I just now got an ebook of Joshua Harris' Dug Down Deep for free to review! Thanks for though.

Great concept, it doesn't seem to work very well though. It lists only one book under MEN (it's a scifi), and none under Science Fiction...

Oh dear. I think it's in beta form; I'm sorry.

To make up for that, let me recommend Lars Walker. I like Stephen Lawhead a lot (esp. Taliesin and Dream Thief and Byzantium), but I like Walker's Year of the Warrior even better.

can you tell me how you got such an awesome (!!!!!!) Job?

can you tell me how you got such an awesome (!!!!!!) Job?

Well, I don't get paid for it - you just go to those links and sign up. They give you free books in response for honest blog reviews. I've gotten some great books. (And some not so great ones, lol.)

Oh, and I forgot one of my favorite male authors....Joel Rosenberg. All his fiction is great, and it's in the Christian political thriller genre.

Also, a book that was recommended to me YEARS before I read it was Same Kind of Different As Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore. I put it off for so long because it was an autobiography, and I just don't like reading biographies that much for pleasure. BOY WAS I SURPRISED when I LOVED this book! It is amazing and reads much like a novel. It's a very good book, and I highly recommend it!

Guest Dee4DIT

I saw your query about good Christian fiction and I think you'd like the new author D.I. Telbat, if you like adventure/suspense. He has free Christian short stories on his site every week but just published his first book, Dark Liaison, on Amazon. You can get a free first chapter on his site to check it out. Hope this helps!

Dee

• 2 weeks later...

Dh reads a lot of historical fiction. If that's your thing too, you might try reading some of the Brock & Bode Theone (pronounced Tay-knee) books. They are dh's favorite authors. The Theones are a husband/wife writing team and are among the best out there. Since they're pretty prolific, you'll find a number of series written by them on Amazon.

Another favorite of dh's is Peretti, and also Joel Rosenberg. Fascinating stuff by both. Oh, and he really enjoyed SWB's book, The Revolt.

Happy reading!

Blessings,

Lucinda