Menu

s/o Latin Programs and ages

IATeachingMom

s/o on another thread I was reading (a great one at that), .... for those of you teaching latin- what program(s) are you using and for what ages or what ages is the program geared for academically?

Lively Latin, LfC, Minimus, SSL1/SSL2, Prima Latina, GSWL, Wheelock, Henle, SYRWLL and any and all others.

Edited by IATeachingMom

Never heard of visual latin, I love learning about new curriculum! Thanks. We're doing SSL1 with ds 1st grade. Maybe minimus if SSL2 isn't out yet.... then LL? Thanks for everyone input so far!

We're enjoying PL after SSL 1, but I'm hoping SSL 2 will be out by the time ds 2 is ready for it!

I am currently teaching Prima Latina at our co-op. The children in the class (including my boys) are 3rd - 5th grade.

My oldest did Latina Christiana in 3rd & 4th, half of Henle I in 5th & 6th, then took 3 years to complete Latin I & II via our state's virtual school. I would have liked for her to have taken Latin III as well, since she did really well in the others, but she begged to stop and take Spanish instead. She was reeeeeally tired of Latin after 6+ years.

I used Minimus at about age 7 or 8 and Latin Prep from age 10 (9 with a very mature or enthusiastic child). Minimus is designed for late junior (late elementary) school. Latin Prep is designed for UK Prep school from year 5 (US 4th grade age).

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

I used SSL 1 last year with a 1st grader and am using Prima Latina this year with a 2nd grader.

We also did ssl then prima Latina. If Ssl 2 had been available we probably would have done that instead od of prima Latina. Now I am using lfc a with dd who is working on about a third grade level.

I am using Latin Road with my 5th, 6th, 8th, and 9th grader and they are all LOVING it!

This is what I want to use next year for Joshua and Annette. Glad to hear your children are loving it.

Currently we are using Latin Primer A with a 4th, 5th, 6th and 8th grader. With my two oldest dc I wanted something fun to start with. Next year I will use either Latin Road or Lively Latin.

Also using Song School Latin with my 1st and 3rd graders.

For those of you using Prima Latina and Lively Latin for younger kids, how is it working out?

We're doing SSL right now--kids are 6 and 7--but will be done around Christmas. They both work above grade level, but only by a year or so (in reading, language).

Are PL and LL good choices for younger kids? Or are we stuck waiting for SSL 2? (Trust me, we're dragging out SSL at this point because I don't know what to do after.)

PL was fine for my 6 yr old follow along with last year. I did not have her do the workbook. She was still working on learning basic reading and writing. Using the flashcards for her to sound out helped w/reading actually.

For a 7 yr old who works at or above grade level, I think the workbook would be fine. If your 6 yr old is above grade level, maybe it would work for her.

PL was fine for my 6 yr old follow along with last year. I did not have her do the workbook. She was still working on learning basic reading and writing. Using the flashcards for her to sound out helped w/reading actually.

For a 7 yr old who works at or above grade level, I think the workbook would be fine. If your 6 yr old is above grade level, maybe it would work for her.

Thanks! That really helps.

For those of you using Prima Latina and Lively Latin for younger kids, how is it working out?

We're doing SSL right now--kids are 6 and 7--but will be done around Christmas. They both work above grade level, but only by a year or so (in reading, language).

Are PL and LL good choices for younger kids? Or are we stuck waiting for SSL 2? (Trust me, we're dragging out SSL at this point because I don't know what to do after.)

My 6 yo is using Lively Latin, but he's ahead in Language Arts by 1-2 years, and reads at a 4th-5th grade level. He works through the lessons with my husband, but they're working at about half speed (partially due to my husband's schedule and partially because 6 yo's attention span for Latin is about 20 minutes). I think it's working out well. Since I am not the primary teacher, though, I am going to have to have a Parent-Teacher conference (or would that be a Teacher-Teacher conference??) with my husband soon to see what difficulties he's encountering. From what I've overheard, I think learning the declensions is tricky work for a 6 yo. He gets that the different declensions are used for different parts of the sentence etc, but I think as he moves into the 2nd declension, he is having trouble wrapping his head around the idea that there is more than 1 declension, but they all serve a similar end. Like I said, they're moving slowly. The vocabulary is definitely DS' favorite part, but he's also getting excited about translating sentences, and deciphering what part of a sentence a given word is.

Next month we start: GWSL for 3rd and 6th. This is the first year of Latin for my 3rd-grader. My 6th-grader started Latin with Lively Latin in 4th grade, but when I didn't keep up, he took long breaks. So, while doing GSWL, we're also going to review LL Big Book 1 for the first 16 weeks or so (about 10 pages/day -- unless we decide we can go faster). Then we'll do BB2 together more slowly.

We are going through Latin Primer I slowly, a chapter per 2 weeks. We just started Visual Latin as well and dd could do a lesson a day. She loves Latin, but just turned 8 so I'm not in a hurry. We'll be studying Latin until 8th grade. I feel like both programs are working reallywell together.

I have a 6-year old working on Henle. We're working through the book very slowly (maybe 1-2 exercises per day) but we haven't encountered any problems yet except the font size bothers me to no end and there is no Kindle version. We do Latin orally and although someone has typed out almost all of the exercises in Henle, I prefer to teach Latin while DD is running around in the kitchen while I'm cooking :tongue_smilie:.

We did begin Henle after finishing Getting Started with Latin, and the transition was easy.

Ds had just turned 7 when we started PL and hasn't had any problems. He's a strong reader, and all of the grammar so far is stuff we have already covered in FLL. I think most 2nd graders would be able to handle it with no problems. It's working really well for us.

Ds had just turned 7 when we started PL and hasn't had any problems. He's a strong reader, and all of the grammar so far is stuff we have already covered in FLL. I think most 2nd graders would be able to handle it with no problems. It's working really well for us.

:iagree:

My dd was 5 when we started the prima Latina book. She is probably working a few years above grade level but I selected the prima Latina after ssl specifically because I thought lfc was a little too difficult at the time. It quickly gets in to declensions and more difficult grammar. I didn't want to take a year off so we did prima Latina. The grammar is gentle, mainly just discussing parts of speech. I thought it reinforced english grammar for her. Also, the derivatives with each chapter served as vocabulary lessons for us. I think you'll find thar it's a solid program. It's not quite as fun as ssl but it gets the job done. Like ssl it's focused on acquiring vocabulary & not actual latin grammar.

:iagree:

My dd was 5 when we started the prima Latina book. She is probably working a few years above grade level but I selected the prima Latina after ssl specifically because I thought lfc was a little too difficult at the time. It quickly gets in to declensions and more difficult grammar. I didn't want to take a year off so we did prima Latina. The grammar is gentle, mainly just discussing parts of speech. I thought it reinforced english grammar for her. Also, the derivatives with each chapter served as vocabulary lessons for us. I think you'll find thar it's a solid program. It's not quite as fun as ssl but it gets the job done. Like ssl it's focused on acquiring vocabulary & not actual latin grammar.

This is exactly how we ended up with PL too! I'm thinking we'll go on to LFC next year, but I want to check out other programs as well. I do love the free online supplemental material that comes with SSL and LFC, though.

DD 9 & 8 are currently both doing Latina Christiana after doing Prima Latina last year. The younger dd did PL w/out the workbook - mostly orally, but is doing LC as-written this year. It was a very smooth transition as the first 5-10 chapters of LC are mostly a review of PL.

We did Minimus over the summer, but didn't learn/retain much.

Not sure yet what we will do next year.

This is exactly how we ended up with PL too! I'm thinking we'll go on to LFC next year, but I want to check out other programs as well. I do love the free online supplemental material that comes with SSL and LFC, though.

Did you know that CAP are publishing SSL 2 sometime soon? :001_smile: We'll be getting it as soon as it comes out!

Did you know that CAP are publishing SSL 2 sometime soon? :001_smile: We'll be getting it as soon as it comes out!

Yes! I've been hoping that it'll be ready by the time ds 5 is ready for it. I've been keeping tabs on it--I think it should be! :001_smile:

Last year for 2nd grade we used Song School Latin.

This year, for 3rd, we're using Minimus. I'm not as happy with Minimus as I thought I would be, but we're only a couple of chapters into it, so I'll give it time. I think when SSL2 comes out, we'll combine it with Minimus. My goals are to buy time until he's ready for LFC-A and have a casual, fun introduction to Latin.

This is my plan too I think (thought it changes...lol) I figure, if I can just present Latin as 1) a language that was once spoken and 2) familiarize ds with some basic words them I'm worlds ahead of the public school kids that don't know what a dead language is! :tongue_smilie: Then maybe in 3rd/4th really buckle down and learn some latin, we'll be on a great path.....I hope!?

DD (almost 7, loves languages) did SSL, Minimus, Minimus Secundus, and the chants/Headventureland/some of the activity book from LFC A last year. She's now working through Cambridge Latin and going back and picking up the LfC A grammar as it's introduced in Cambridge. The Whole-parts seems to make more sense to her than the parts-whole of LfC, but I think she'd really be struggling with Cambridge if she were trying to learn all the vocabulary on the fly, because the pace is much faster than Minimus.

I know a lot of people on this board don't consider Cambridge to be "real" Latin, but it seems to work well for DD.