Menu

Bedbugs at the library!

We ordered a PackTite a while ago, so we can put library books (or suitcases after a trip) in there. The PackTite heats up to kill any bedbugs or eggs. After reading all the threads on here, I decided I couldn't easily go on vacation or to the library any longer without some way to prevent infesting our house.

Can the bedbugs live & be happy in books? Or do they need a bed, carpet, Or other soft material?

Keeping library books out of our beds . . . Easier said than done.

They can be happy in books. They often live in things like smoke detectors or electrical sockets. They don't call them bedbugs because they like beds. The only reason they stay near beds is that they like YOU. They are also known for living near couches as well. When you're sitting on the couch for a couple of hours at night watching tv (especially in the dark), they'll come out of their hiding places and have dinner.

Ninja Bug Guy showed me how to look for them in books. It's just a visual inspection. (Which might not work for eggs only, but will show you actual bugs.) Look in the front and back jacket covers. Flip thru the pages to see if bugs are there (or fall out!). Open the book and peer through the spine (if it bubbles open.)

The only treatments for bedbugs are heat--about 140 degrees or so for half an hour or so (maybe longer--the entire area has to be evenly heated) or the chemicals that exterminators have.

(I had bedbugs a year ago this month and posted a number of horrified posts about it.)

Dh said that we should just put our library books in the oven for awhile if we really wanted to be proactive and kill any possible bugs, but I'm afraid the plastic covers that they have would melt (or the hot plastic would release some sort of fumes into the air.)

Yuck! That's my favorite library. Now I'm worried about going there. :-( as a side note, I might have seen you at the booksale. I picked up a few things there this afternoon. How cool!

I was there at 9 am when they opened! There was another mom there picking up educational materials...everyone else was getting pleasure reading :) I was the one grabbing all the books on ancients! I found some great stuff.

I only stayed for about 20 minutes because we were heading off to the Wildlife Expo in Guthrie.

Bedbugs can live for weeks in a plastic ziploc bag. I've seen them.

We had them. It was horrific. I still have nightmares. I can't even describe how gross I felt for months.

We have a Pack Tite now (which a previous poster mentioned). I will now be pack-titing the library books, too. Wow.

For those who don't have a pack tite, 30 mins in the dryer would work. Put books in a pillow case with a few stuffed animals or something to keep them from bonking around too much.

We had them. It was horrific. I still have nightmares. I can't even describe how gross I felt for months.

We have a Pack Tite now (which a previous poster mentioned). I will now be pack-titing the library books, too. Wow.

For those who don't have a pack tite, 30 mins in the dryer would work. Put books in a pillow case with a few stuffed animals or something to keep them from bonking around too much.

I have a rack for the dryer that holds things in place in the middle (no spinning - it's made for tennis shoes). I guess I will use that.

Honestly, I really regret reading this thread.:001_huh:

Eww! I'm glad I read the thread though. I have a dryer rack so I guess I will put them in there for 30 minutes after we get home. I use a wheeled crate at the library so I won't have to worry about anything in a backpack and I guess I probably shouldn't let the boys look at books in the van on the way home. Never thought I'd have to do anything like this. I always wondered about germs on the books (my kids like to take the books into the bathroom and I'm sure other kids do too) but I'm not too big of a germ-a-phobe so I tried not to let it bother me.

30 minutes in a dryer IF your dryer definintely gets to 120 degrees. When I had bedbugs (a year ago), I had to take everything to the laundromat because those were the only dryers that got hot enough.

I don't know about a bag with no air (vacuum sealed or something?), but bedbugs can go into a hibernation mode for a year. I still have some leather jackets that are in a tightly sealed plastic bag waiting for the year to expire. (Actually, I was so freaked out by the bugs that I'm waiting a year and a half, just to be sure!) There was no way for me to heat the leather jackets without ruining them. (I'm not even sure the bugs were on the jackets, but since they were stored in my bedroom closet, I have to treat them as if they are there.)

Eww! I'm glad I read the thread though. I have a dryer rack so I guess I will put them in there for 30 minutes after we get home. I use a wheeled crate at the library so I won't have to worry about anything in a backpack and I guess I probably shouldn't let the boys look at books in the van on the way home. Never thought I'd have to do anything like this. I always wondered about germs on the books (my kids like to take the books into the bathroom and I'm sure other kids do too) but I'm not too big of a germ-a-phobe so I tried not to let it bother me.

If you're serious about this, you need to keep them contained in plastic bags (trashbags perhaps) in the car. They can live happily in the car, and then ride in your purse, on clothes, etc, into the house later.

And someone else mentioned freezing them. Ninja Bug Guy (who was very helpful and knowledgeable) said that freezing was iffy at best and din't really recommend counting on it as a way to get rid of them. Heat and chemicals is what he says works.

The more I think about it, the more I'm wondering about the oven at it's lowest setting for 20 minutes. (My oven's lowest setting is 200, so it might be too much and ruin the books.) I might have to test this....

Edited by Garga