Menu

How much should I be reading to my 2 month old twins?

purpleshamrock

Hi there,

I am brand new to this forum. I'm Erin and I just adopted newborn twins born in August. They are almost 8 weeks old. A friend gave me a copy of The Well Trained Mind the other day, I read the beginning of it and I am so inspired. I think I definitely want to homeschool my kiddos.

I've been a nanny for 17 years and have a lot of favorite children's books from many years of reading. I made sure my kids had an entire book shelf full before I even brought them home. We have been reading bedtime stories since they were 2 weeks old. I am thinking that may not be enough. How much should I be reading to them at this age, and going forward how much time?

At this age can I just read or should I be attempting to show them the pictures in books that have them? It's hard with twins, I want to read when I feed them their bottles, but alas, both my hands have bottles in them lol.

Thanks for any advice

Erin

I highly recommend reading The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease. He has some great stories about reading to infants and great advice too.

Some things I can recall:

Studies have shown their attention span tops out at about 3 minutes. (I think this was in regards to babies under age 2). I have been reading to my baby since he was a month or two of age, and have been able able to slowly increase his attention span. But, honestly, that would be 10 minutes tops before he wants to crawl off or play with something else, which is fine. I try to read to him for longer periods while he's a captive audience, like in his high chair while he eats some cheerios. When he's in the mood, he'll sit through a book like The Very Hungry Caterpillar but many other times he will only listen to a page or two of a board book before he's done.

I aim for many small sessions as we go through the day. When we're playing on the floor, I try to grab a book and show it to him at some point too, when I'm doing school with the other kids and he is into everything, I redirect him with a short mother goose rhyme or little board book story, when he eats a snack in his high chair I read to him, when I change his diaper I recite the rhymes I have memorized or the ABCs, and we read to him as part of his bedtime routine.

Trelease mentions Mother Goose being a favorite for babies, due to the rhythmic language and words, many of the rhymes are like a song and babies respond to that. My baby (who just turned 10 months) does like Mother Goose and will usually listen to a few of the rhymes and look at the pictures before he gets distracted.

He mentions that with babies and toddlers, it often works better to look at the pictures together and discuss the pictures in a conversational way, rather than trying to read all the words of a story.

With my 10 month old, his favorites are mother goose, animal books when I make animal sounds, and those big board books with the bright pictures and labels.

I have not read WTM so maybe what I'm going to say is not applicable. However, I do have twins! :) I used to read to my twins at nap time and bed time because it was easy to fit that into my routine--because it is hard when there are 2 babies!! It wasn't anything major but they always had books they could hold and touch and they still love to be read to!

Congratulations, by the way!

I think the holding, cuddling, talking to them is more important than how much you read especially at these young ages. Those things alone can be hard with young twins given there is just one of you! I read to my boys and they absolutely love books but at two months we were all trying to survive. I don't know when I was doing more than changing diapers, pumping and feeding, and trying to sleep them and myself! But it didn't matter. Basically, I wouldn't stress about how much you read at this age. This is as much for you as them right now. As my boys got older I read to them as much as they wanted which, because of their personalities I guess, was a lot. I think the earliest times was a lot of reading the board books (like Brown Bear Brown Bear, Hop on Pop, There's a Wocket in my Pocket) while they sat in bouncy chairs. I remember smiles and true enjoyment of those books so I know we were probably 4-6 months at the earliest. I have friends who read to their kids while they were eating because those kids weren't able to sit for a book otherwise. You do what they and you enjoy and it will work out. Enjoy those babies!!

Edited by sbgrace

I began reading to my firstborn when he was an infant, but I don't know if there is any "perfect" amount of time. I learned early on that one of the great ways to read out loud to them is to include them in your own reading (if you are much of a reader). For example, if you read a Bible daily, begin reading it our loud while they are close by. Also any books you are reading--just begin reading some of it out loud instead of to yourself. They probably aren't following a story at this age ;) so this way they hear the words, language, rhythm, etc. and your voice will keep them company. They can be playing, eating, swinging, or whatever while you do this. My baby listened to Charlotte Mason, Jane Austen, etc. in this way, but it was intended for my benefit. And of course, look at lots of children's books with them as they become ready and interested (sounds like you are onto that one).

ETA: You could also listen to audio books together (check your library) while you go about your day. But yeah, I agree with sbgrace--making sure you read out loud should fall lower on the priority list at this point in their lives. Talk to them, sing to them, play, look and point at things, touch things, listen to music... Some days just keeping everyone clean, fed, and loved is plenty! There will be plenty of time for books!

Edited by Amie

For the first year, please just love, snuggle, hug, and sleep when you can.

If you enjoy reading to them, you can read some pat-the-bunny books once they are old enough to be interested. (Mine enjoyed books by 4-6 mos old.) But, the most important thing is to just enjoy them. 5 minutes a couple times a day is plenty! If they enjoy it, you can do more!

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ENJOY! I MISS THOSE DAYS! Don't miss a moment of these early months worrying about educating them! You have plenty of time for that. These are the moments to snuggle, play peek a boo, and rock your babies! AND SLEEP WHEN YOU CAN!

The book by White with a title like, "The first 3 years" is a solid research-based intro to child development and what a baby needs during each phase of its early life. Th push for books early mainly has to do with building a habit in the adult -- young kids are MUCH more into REAL people and faces -- YOUR face, than anything else. Their eyesight isn't so great yet, either. Rule of thumb is follow their interest -- narrate about whatever has their attention for the moment.

Another great book is "Becoming Attached" -- summarizes attachment theory and research over the past few decades. Used as a college text, so not a cozy reading book, but some interesting bits if you like that type of thing.

Enjoy, read as long as you are all enjoying it and don't be afraid to put a book down mid-sentense if their attention wanders.

Enjoy!

When my boys were that age I'd lay on the floor next to them and hold the book over us and read. When my arms got tired we'd move on to something else. I started "read-alouds" - basically reading classics that interested me such as Around the World in 80 Days - to them pretty early. But I think that the most important thing I read to them at that age was scripture. I want my children to have first language fluency in "scripture speak," which, since we use the KJV of the Bible, is very old language, so I made sure to expose them to it from very early on.

Another fun thing to do is finger-paint in the high chair. Or paint their hands and do hand-prints. It's very tactile, and most kids I've done it with have really enjoyed it.

I really love the idea from TWTM to talk to your children: stream of consciousness about what you're doing. I do that with dinner prep most often. Tonight it was: "Raven, this is an onion. I'm going to chop it up to use in dinner tonight. I need the cutting board so that I don't mess up the counter. First, I'll chop the end off. Oh. I should move this stuff so you can see. (He was in a high chair near where I was working.) See how that goes? [show onion] Now, I'll chop the second end off, the same way. Next, I chop it in half. Half is when you divide it into two even parts. Now, I need to peel the skin. See how thin it is? But it came off in one piece. Betty taught me to do that. Oh, this second side didn't come off quite so nicely. It's sticking. This is why I used to peel off a much thicker section. There. Now I'm getting my knife. It's got a bumpy edge for cutting, which is called a serrated edge. I'm going to slice this into strips, like so. Then I'll turn and dice it..."

Both of my boys have been very early talkers, and I think that keeping language around, both in reading during lunches & nap times, and in this stream-of-consciousness chatter/explanation has some to do with that. They're both smart as whips, and that doesn't hurt either!

But all that stuff can be done in a very low-key sort of way. The ladies that say don't sweat the educational stuff until the boys are bigger are sooo right. Those baby-baby times are so precious! Snuggle them up and sing to them. Keep them close so you can tell them what you're up to. (And see what they're up to as they get bigger, LOL!) Read a bit, but don't stress over getting a certain amount in. They'll absorb so much just from being around you!

If you haven't got one yet, I highly recommend getting a MobyWrap. It was a lifesaver with my singletons, I can't imagine how much more handy it would be with twins!

Good luck - kiss those babies!

My twins are now 3YO and I read much less to them the first year than with my older singleton. It was really the 2nd year we started reading books and they developed favorites to look too. However, I would read my own books aloud when the 3 of us had a quiet moment :) . Even though it seems I read to them 1/10th the time of my older daughter, they are now great toddler book lovers and if anything are picking up pre-reading skills faster.

Congrats on your twins!

Enjoy this precious time and do not overworry about reading to your twins. If it feels natural to read them some newspaper clippings or nursery rhymes do so. More importantly, hold them and love them as many posters have suggested. Enjoy having little infants because in a few months this stage will be gone and never come again.

Reading is important but so are many things. In a few months I highly recommend Richard Scarry's Mother Goose Series. It makes reading entertaining for parent and child(ren)!

Best Wishes (and make some time for yourself)!

I've been meaning to put together my reading list on stuff like where/when/how to read to your babies, so I finally did it thanks to the inspiration of your question here on the forums!

BOOK LIST: "Baby School" Teaching Guides

I totally overdid it when my son was little. I started reading him The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge when he was three days old and burst into hysterical tears because of the hormones. (My husband was all "Hey, bonus points for reading to the newborn baby, but maybe shouldn't you sleep instead?") Anyway, in retrospect, all the books were right--the reading and signing doesn't really penetrate their baby brains and/or elicit a response until they're 6-9 months old at the earliest, but it totally kept me entertained, it's another way to pay attention to your kids besides the basic attachment parenting practices, and it was a good habit to get into, so it was worth it.

Anyway, hope you find something worthwhile in my list of books I recommend that cover (really really early) childhood education! :)

Edited by kubiac

For young infants, I think it's much better to talk to baby and make eye contact. There are precious few moments that baby is awake...and you have 2.

I talked and talked and talked. We started books later, and we are avid read aloud-ers now. I think mine were crawling/toddling before we began the book craze.

I don't personally see any benefit whatsoever to reading to two month olds, trying to show them pictures in a book etc. It's the lap/bonding/cuddling/talking to them that would matter most in that scenario.

I don't think I ever read to my kids til probably somewhere around a year or so.

Of course, I realize my opinion may not be the popular one in this matter, but I just don't see a point at that age!

You should make sure to read aloud to your twins for at least an hour a day. Of course, it would be better if you did it in Latin for optimal brain development and creating a high IQ.

:D

While simultaneously playing Classical music in the background and letting them teethe on C-rods, right?

I don't personally see any benefit whatsoever to reading to two month olds, trying to show them pictures in a book etc. It's the lap/bonding/cuddling/talking to them that would matter most in that scenario.

I don't think I ever read to my kids til probably somewhere around a year or so.

Of course, I realize my opinion may not be the popular one in this matter, but I just don't see a point at that age!

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I didn't really START reading to my oldest a lot until he was over a year old. We'd occasionally read earlier than that, and he liked to flip pages of a book himself by about 4 or 5 months, but he didn't have the attention span to let me finish reading the page until sometime after a year. This child is now 7, reading somewhere around 7th-8th grade level (comprehending what he reads), and just yesterday chose to sit down with SOTW4 instead of playing outside. I actually had to tell him to put the book down and go play outside in the beautiful weather. :D

I don't think waiting until they have an attention span to let you read the page before they turn the page is a bad thing. All of my kids LOVE books. My 2 year old is finally sitting through fairly long picture books now (like Dr. Seuss), so he gets read to more often. I haven't ever read a book to any of them as little babies.

I did talk to them often, telling them what I was doing, like is mentioned in WTM. I don't think it will affect when your children talk (I think that's more genetics related), but it will give them good examples of English language and proper usage, naming things, learning about the world, etc.

And I agree with the PP about stocking up on Sandra Boynton. We've killed two copies each of The Going to Bed Book and Horns to Toes and Inbetween. :D

My kids had an impressively high attention span when they couldn't move much. Very intellectual babies. Once they were able to self-propel, they could grab and tear books, kick, and run away. Therefore, they listened to me read when they were very small, and then we took a break until they learned to settle down.

Ultimately, I would consider bottle-feeding time as a great time for you to practice declamation! (What child wouldn't be soothed by the melodic recitations of "Casey at the Bat," "The Highwayman," or, even, if you want to get a head start, "The Magna Carta"?)

Thank you so much for all the replies. I am definitely not stressing about it but I know how important it is to read to them. I read the Jim Trelease book last year while waiting to be matched with a birthmom. I couldn't remember specifically what he suggested.

I will definitely start singing more, I have a hard time remembering lyrics sometimes but that's what google is for :)

I'm sorry some of you "smelled something" and felt the need to pop popcorn for my first post here. I've been on boards like that before and wasn't expecting it here. I'm not so sure what was so fishy about asking how much I should read to my babies. Is there some history here that I unwittingly stepped into with that question? I didn't mean to open a can of worms.

I'm honestly just a new mom looking to enrich her new babies lives.

Thanks again to all the people who made helpful suggestions, I really appreciate it.

Erin

You know what...read to them as much as you want or you think is best! At 2 months old, they aren't going anywhere so you can pretty much read to them regardless of attention span, etc. Sing to them, read to them, talk to them.

And as for having a "point" to reading at 2 months old, if it makes YOU feel good about the way you are raising them then that's the best point imo.

I recommend going straight to encyclopedias and shakespeare. Even better if you have the babies indicate which topics they are interested in. Maybe they could use an eye blinking morse code?? I know someone who's 2 month old could write its own name, maybe you could work on that first???

And I apologise if you are legit.

Edited by awisha
ummm yeah

I don't know what to think. I love message boards and if I decide to homeschool I will definitely want to continue posting here. It seems like a really active board and also seems to be a really great place to get information and opinions on curriculum. So I don't want to be turned off, I will stick around despite the unwelcoming posts. I am legit. I can tell you exactly how I got here...

I was on a scrapbooking message board where people were talking about homeschooling, so I started googling and reading some blogs of people who homeschooled. It looked awesome but I had no kids lol. So I marked some blogs and added The Well Trained Mind to my Amazon wish list. Then I adopt these wonderful babies and the pastors wife at my church throws me a shower last weekend. While looking at my amazon registry she looks at my wish list and sees the book. She homeschooled her kids until very recently and so at my shower she gives me the book. And I see that there's a website and a forum. And that's how I ended up here.

BUT in the defense of some of you guys, I have been known to be an obsessive over planner before and this is likely no different. :) my babies are sleeping so well I have lots of time to read for myself and have been enjoying the book so far.

Erin

I don't know what to think. I love message boards and if I decide to homeschool I will definitely want to continue posting here. It seems like a really active board and also seems to be a really great place to get information and opinions on curriculum. So I don't want to be turned off, I will stick around despite the unwelcoming posts. I am legit. I can tell you exactly how I got here...

Erin

First off, welcome to the boards!!:)

Secondly, this is a very diverse group so it's hard to avoid unwelcoming posts because opinions can be very strong. But it's ok, just don't take anything personally and you'll be fine! :D

To the OP: I believe you are legit, and I remember going a little overboard with my 1st. I also read TWTM (and many other books along the same vein) when mine were teeny-tiny. :001_smile:

I strongly agree that there are so many other things that are more important at this stage. You don't want to sacrifice an opportunity to bond and love for the sake of raising a baby-genius. Reading is good. Talking and singing and really getting to know your babies is better. You have plenty of time for the former, but can never get back this time for the latter.

While simultaneously playing Classical music in the background and letting them teethe on C-rods, right?

:lol::lol::lol: In 3 months, we will see baby-safe C-rod teethers sold at Amazon....and if I had a baby, I'd totally buy them.:lol::lol::lol:

Thank you so much for all the replies. I am definitely not stressing about it but I know how important it is to read to them. I read the Jim Trelease book last year while waiting to be matched with a birthmom. I couldn't remember specifically what he suggested.

I will definitely start singing more, I have a hard time remembering lyrics sometimes but that's what google is for :)

I'm sorry some of you "smelled something" and felt the need to pop popcorn for my first post here. I've been on boards like that before and wasn't expecting it here. I'm not so sure what was so fishy about asking how much I should read to my babies. Is there some history here that I unwittingly stepped into with that question? I didn't mean to open a can of worms.

I'm honestly just a new mom looking to enrich her new babies lives.

Thanks again to all the people who made helpful suggestions, I really appreciate it.

Erin

There have just been a few trolls lately who've revealed themselves by asking rather outlandish questions.

With no prior knowledge of you I guess this question raised some suspicion. It's not a big deal although it would be nice if we'd hold off a bit with our suspicions and give new folks more of a chance. :)

I would sya that it's not the reading that will enrich your babies lives right now, it's being with you. It's physical contact and routine and interaction. Books are for later. Read if you enjoy it certainly but don't worry about having to do it.

Edited by WishboneDawn

I was on a scrapbooking message board where people were talking about homeschooling, so I started googling and reading some blogs of people who homeschooled. It looked awesome but I had no kids lol. So I marked some blogs and added The Well Trained Mind to my Amazon wish list. Then I adopt these wonderful babies and the pastors wife at my church throws me a shower last weekend. While looking at my amazon registry she looks at my wish list and sees the book. She homeschooled her kids until very recently and so at my shower she gives me the book. And I see that there's a website and a forum. And that's how I ended up here.

BUT in the defense of some of you guys, I have been known to be an obsessive over planner before and this is likely no different. :) my babies are sleeping so well I have lots of time to read for myself and have been enjoying the book so far.

Erin

Just be careful with TWM. :D

I've been homeschooling for 8 years but only just read the book. My first reaction was panic about all that we'd missed by not being Classical homeschoolers and following TWM from the start.

But TWM isn't a guarantee and it isn't the Only Way and it most definitely isn't meant to be followed step-by-rigid-step. Take what appeals and build a routine that works for you. Come here for advice from folks who are experienced. Remember that for at least the first four or five years the formal work should play second fiddle to the kids' sense of exploration and discovery. Let them play and if you play with them, follow their lead.

You might want to read John Holt's books as well. They might seem to run counter to TWM but I think they actually provide balance.

I'm sorry some of you "smelled something" and felt the need to pop popcorn for my first post here.

Popcorn is always a good thing. People like popcorn.

I was sure the ladies here would give you good advice. But really, don't worry too much about reading to 2 month olds. I think talking to them is more important. They enjoy interacting. Read a little, and read whatever you want. My mom used to read her books aloud to me when I was a baby. I think there's nothing wrong with that. I read my son some rip roaring tales when he was a baby, and he did enjoy them. But I also didn't get tired of reading boring baby stuff.

I read to my kids when they were infants because that was the only way I could read all of my books and newspapers. At one point I was back in school, and it was much easier to read to them than getting up at 3 or 4 am (which I often did) in order to fit in my reading. The kids didn't seem to mind, and I got my reading done. Win-win, if you ask me. We did plenty of other activities as well.

So, my advice: go ahead and read to them. It won't hurt.

I read tons to my first baby. But my twins, not so much. I was exhausted, and once they could hold stuff, they mostly just wanted to play with the books. My kids tend to have their share of issues (language processing), and unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much difference between the kid I read tons to as a baby and the ones I didn't. (I would not say the same about reading at older ages, e.g. toddler/preschool - I think it probably makes a much bigger difference then.)

I put them in bouncy seats for simultaneous bottle feeding. I do remember trying to read books to them this way, and turning the books around to show them :lol:. I don't think it was particularly effective. I didn't do it for long.

If I had to do it over again, I'd have tried to hold them more at that age - here come the rose-colored glasses, LOL!! It's so hard, because you're always holding someone, but it's never enough. (I always hated it when a grandmother would come visit and then leave, because they'd get used to being held all the time for a couple weeks.)

My advice: read whenever you like, but there's certainly no need to make it a top priority at this age. Mostly, make sure you get the rest you need to enjoy them. This little stage goes so quickly. Like lightening. Take lots of pictures, and spend time talking with them and exchanging smiles with them. Take them out to sit in your yard for a few minutes if you have one, to look at the trees and sky and feel the breeze and a smitch of sun. (Depending on where you are, RSV season starts in October, so I'd try to avoid public indoor places, particularly if they were premature).

Congrats on your double blessings :):)

Edited by wapiti

Sining is like reading for a baby. Sing bounce and wiggle. Sing sing sing. And cuddle. You don't need books until they are interested in looking at things, but hearing spoken language is good from the start. Nursery rhymes. Little bo peep has more than one verse. We have a rich tradition of great literature for tiny little kids. Mother goose. Itsy Bitsy spider. Over in the Meadow. This sort of thing.

There's nothing wrong with reading to them, but there's wrong with not reading to an infant either. It's great if you feel up to doing it now, but I strongly suspect that with twins there will come a point (like maybe when they start getting mobile) when you'll feel frazzled & overwhelmed and won't be doing much reading at all, and if you feel like you *need* to be reading to them the added guilt of feeling like you're short-changing them isn't going to be helpful.

I'm sorry for the rude welcome. Congrats on your twins! We've adopted twice and my emotions were raw after the process. I truly hope you will stick around b/c this is a good board.

I started researching and planning for homeschooling when my oldest was a newborn. Not a thing wrong with that! I'd suggest finding a few short board books with nice rhythm (I like the Boyton suggestion) and reading them a few times a week. They'll develop a love for books and the familiarity will be comforting. Besides that, refresh yourself on songs and nursery rhymes and face them while you do them. You can tell when they are overstimulated b/c they'll look away. At two months, one is plenty, but these months fly by and at 9 months or so they may be ready for more. My youngest is 18 months and he loves pattycake, 1,2, Buckle My Shoe, etc. We've done them for a long time.

Don't feel bad for asking questions. That's how you learn. And remember, with adoption, bonding is the most important thing. Sling, cuddle, hold, sing, etc. You sound like a great mom. :grouphug:

Hi there,

I am brand new to this forum. I'm Erin and I just adopted newborn twins born in August. They are almost 8 weeks old. A friend gave me a copy of The Well Trained Mind the other day, I read the beginning of it and I am so inspired. I think I definitely want to homeschool my kiddos.

I've been a nanny for 17 years and have a lot of favorite children's books from many years of reading. I made sure my kids had an entire book shelf full before I even brought them home. We have been reading bedtime stories since they were 2 weeks old. I am thinking that may not be enough. How much should I be reading to them at this age, and going forward how much time?

At this age can I just read or should I be attempting to show them the pictures in books that have them? It's hard with twins, I want to read when I feed them their bottles, but alas, both my hands have bottles in them lol.

Thanks for any advice

Erin

Welcome to the boards, fellow Irish girl! When I first read your post I thought, "Oh my goodness, my sister signed up to post here!" We are Irish, her favourite colour is purple, I've told her about TWTM because she has mentioned interest in homeschooling, and she just adopted newborn twins, too! But hers were adopted in June, so I guess you are not her (although if you are, 'fess up, sis! lol).

I think it's great that you want to read to your babies. And I think it's great that you took so much care in preparing to adopt - Congratulations, and may your life be filled with much joy.

I read to my babies early on, too. I just plain old enjoyed doing it. I remember sitting, nursing, and reading the Peter Rabbit books. I enjoyed the stories and they enjoyed the cuddling and probably listening to my voice. LOL, reading came in handy when my brain was too tired to keep up a running stream of chatter. Someone made fun of me one time, saying it was silly to be reading Peter Rabbit to my babies, but I didn't care. It was just fun for me.

I think you should read to them as much as you like and not worry about times right now. If bedtime stories are what you like, then carry on - it will be a nice routine when they become toddlers/preschoolers and beyond. Times later on - trying to remember what I did - toddlers/preschoolers maybe 15-30 minutes a day? elementary schoolers maybe 30-60 minutes. I've slacked in the past few months with mine, but I want to pick read-alouds back up again - I'll probably do 30 minutes or so per day. You can get a lot read in those small time slots, day after day. And preserve your voice, lol. Personally an hour would be a loooooonnnnnggggg time for my voice. And besides, kid learn to read and then you can give them an hour or two per day for their own reading time, while still doing a short read-aloud yourself each day. Just some ideas.

As for showing them pictures, well after watching my sister a few weeks ago, that'll be just about impossible while feeding both at the same time, lol! You could do your read-alouds when they aren't feeding and show them pictures. For babies I esp. liked board books that had bright or black-n-white very defined pictures, so their eyes could follow the outlines of the shapes. It's fun to watch them concentrating on the bright pictures.

Have fun with it!

Edited by Colleen in NS

I haven't read through the other replies, so I thought I'd just share what we did with our kids...

For my son, we read him board books form the day he arrived! He asked to start reading at 3.5, and we have been slowly and steadily plugging away ever since.

For my daughter (poor ignored second child!) I probably didn't start *really* reading to her on a regular basis until she was 2. She is now 2.5, knows the entire alphabet, has several of her board books memorized, and points out letters and their sounds everywhere she sees them. I think she will be a much more natural reader than her brother.

They both LOVE books, love to look at the pictures, and love to be read to.

In other words, I think having a literature-rich house is much more important than the exact age, number of minutes, etc, that you read to your kids. Both kids see my husband and I reading a lot, and like to imitate us, and in order to really cement in a literature-centered house, we have chosen not to own a TV.

Congratulations on your twin babies and best of luck! There is a lot to learn here on these boards!

I didn't read to mine until they were 2 or 3.

But, I always talked to my kids. Just about anything. About their feet while I was changing diapers, etc. All of mine have been early talked and a great young vocabulary and I'm convinced its as much from just being talked to as anything else.

I wouldn't worry about how much or how little at this age.