Menu

Lemon cheesecake: What kind of crust?

What kind of crust with lemon cheesecake?  

1. 1. What kind of crust with lemon cheesecake?

• Graham cracker
    • Vanilla cookie crust
    • Gingersnap
    • Pecan
    • Other/something else
    • No answer, but I like to vote in polls

there are these Italian cookies-amaretti, that i use for crusts (when there are any left!)

http://www.amazon.com/Amaretti-Saronno-Cookies-Window-Lazzaroni/dp/B0001K5LTY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316195572&sr=8-1

As long as it's a fresh lemon with grated zest, they would taste great.

Ohh I like the idea for shortbread-gingersnap is great with pumpkin.

I've been making The Barefoot Contessa's chocolate cheesecake (the one that sold for 40 bucks an inch) and it is UTTERLY amazing. I use Ghiradelli (yes, there is better, I know, but I like their bittersweet) and then use the 70% to make a ganache. A Freaking Mazing.

Edited by justamouse

Care to pass the recipe along? :bigear:

Sure! I love all things lemon (as you may have guessed from my SN ;)) This cheesecake is A LOT of work, but worthy of it's name. Also, when they say a 10" springform pan, they MEAN a 10" pan and don't try it with a 9". Ask me how I know (it was ugly, but still tasted good :lol:).

Best-Ever Lemon Cheesecake

Crust

1 cup flour

1/4 cup sugar

1 t. lemon zest

8 Tbsp. butter

1 egg yolk, slightly beaten

1/4 t. vanilla extract

Cheesecake Filling

5 (8-oz) pkg cream cheese, softened

1 3/4 cup sugar

3 Tbsp. flour

1 t. lemon zest

1/4 t. salt

1/2 t. vanilla

5 whole eggs (or 1 cup in volume)

2 egg yolks

1/4 cup cream

Topping

2 cups sour cream

3 Tbsp sugar

1 t. vanilla extract

Lemon Glaze

1/2 cup sugar

1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch

1/4 t. salt

3/4 cup water

1/3 cup fresh lemon juice

1 egg yolk

1 Tbsp butter

1 t. lemon zest

Crust: Preheat oven to 400. Combine flour, sugar, and lemon zest. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or food processor. When mixture is crumbly, add egg yolk and vanilla. Blend well. Pat into bottom and up sides of a 10" springform pan. Bake about 10 minutes, until crust is just golden. Set aside. Turn oven up to 500.

Filling: In mixer bowl, beat softened cream cheese until smooth. In a separate bowl, combine sugar, flour, lemon zest, and salt. Gradually blend dry ingredients into the cheese. Stir in vanilla. Add eggs and yolks, one at a time, stirring well after every addition. Gently stir in cream. Pour into crust. Bake at 500 for 5-8 minutes. Reduce heat to 200, bake for 1 hour. 10 minutes before it comes out, make sour cream topping.

Topping: Stir together sour cream, sugar, and vanilla. When cheesecake has finished it's hour baking, spread sour cream mixture over hot cake, smoothing the top with a spatula. Return to oven and bake for an additional 12 minutes. Turn off oven and leave cheesecake in for another 30 minutes. Meanwhile, make lemon glaze.

Glaze: In a heavy saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt. In a large liquid measuring cup or bowl, combine water, lemon juice and egg yolk. Stir into sugar mixture in saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a slow simmer and is thickened. Stir in butter and lemon zest. Allow to cool slightly, but spread over cheesecake before the glaze sets.

Chill in refrigerator 4 hours or preferably over night.

Edited by LemonPie

That recipe looks fabulous! I don't have a 10 in spring form pan only a 9 in square pyrex. Any tips on modifying it? Using a little less crust and filling?

Honestly, unless you're making it for something like a HUGE Thanksgiving gathering, I'd probably halve it and make it in a 6" or your 9" Pyrex (just watch it while it's baking because it will bake faster if the filling is spread thinner). It makes a ton and it's very rich! I made a full recipe here once and DH and I were so sick of cheesecake by the time we finished it. . . and it takes a lot to make me sick of cheesecake :D

Julie--I didn't realize you were so close to me! I was wondering recently when I saw where your oldest is attending college, though. I almost asked you about it.

Julie--I didn't realize you were so close to me! I was wondering recently when I saw where your oldest is attending college, though. I almost asked you about it.

Ds is very, very happy where he is. :001_smile:

Thanks so much for posting the recipe. I made a lemon cheesecake yesterday that called for a 9" springform. I put it in a 10" springform because I knew it just looked like too much. As it was baking, it rose above the height of the pan, but didn't actually run over. When sampled today, it was good, but I'm never happy with good--it has to be spectacular!

I'll try your recipe next. It sounds like a show-stopper. :drool5:

Thank you for posting it.

Honestly, unless you're making it for something like a HUGE Thanksgiving gathering, I'd probably halve it and make it in a 6" or your 9" Pyrex (just watch it while it's baking because it will bake faster if the filling is spread thinner). It makes a ton and it's very rich! I made a full recipe here once and DH and I were so sick of cheesecake by the time we finished it. . . and it takes a lot to make me sick of cheesecake :D

Good to know, thanks!