Menu

Do I really need to rinse rice before I use it?

I often see this in recipes. Do I really need to do this? I just bought a 10-pound bag of brown rice that was tightly sealed (not vac packed solid, but the bag definitely sighed when I opened it). I also have some wild rice that I bought from the bulk bin. I'm wondering if there's some reason I don't know about for rinsing before I cook any of it.

TIA!

It is entirely up to the rice and you. White, unenriched basmati from India turns into jello for me if I don't rinse it, plus the measurement depends on adding water to damp rice (for me).

Trader Joe's brown basmati I NEVER rinse. I believe you are not to rinse enriched white (I never use it). I also don't rinse short grain brown, Burmese red, Thai black, etc. etc.

The worst you will do is not get perfect fluffy rice once. I say skip it and see.

I've never seen a recipe that says to rinse rice... though thinking of it, I don't look at a lot of recipes with rice - I just make it as a side dish the same way my mom taught me. So maybe I'm just oblivious.

I do always rinse quinoa (removes bitter taste) and lentils (I am less clear on why, but I've always been told to :tongue_smilie:) but rice I dump right in.

If I've been screwing it up all these years, it hasn't hurt us! And the rice tastes good (and mine always comes out nice - I don't have a problem with over or undercooked rice).

It is entirely up to the rice and you. White, unenriched basmati from India turns into jello for me if I don't rinse it, plus the measurement depends on adding water to damp rice (for me).

Trader Joe's brown basmati I NEVER rinse. I believe you are not to rinse enriched white (I never use it). I also don't rinse short grain brown, Burmese red, Thai black, etc. etc.

Ah. I never make white rice. Even my mom made brown rice...

I think rice is sometimes mixed with talcum powder.

Here's what it says on wiki

Despite the hypothetical health risks of talc (such as stomach cancer),[8] talc-coated rice remains the norm in some countries due to its attractive shiny appearance, but it has been banned in some, and is no longer widely used in others (such as the United States). Even where talc is not used, glucose, starch, or other coatings may be used to improve the appearance of the grains.

I've spent enough time in places where I need to rinse the rice (when you need to rinse it, it's obvious) that it's just a habit for me now. But I didn't used to rinse my rice many years ago when I was in the US and only cooking plain old white rice. I prefer my rice to be rinsed no matter what now, including enriched white rice, but I don't think it's a problem not to.

I remember from when I was a kid that bags of rice said the rice was coated in talc and should be rinsed before cooking. Even though the rice is no longer packaged that way my mother still rinses the rice. Hard to break a lifelong habit.

Well, the rice-eating people of the world soak and rinse their rice. Not just to remove dirt (we get it cleaned here in the West), but for the starch. It does make a difference and rice-connoisseurs can see the difference (and of course taste it). I am very picky about rice obviously. A great basmati rice can make me happy for a long time.

I remember those days, during childhood.

I don't rinse rice, but I sort through it for broken bits of husk. Also check for bug bits if I have bought bulk rice from a bin.

OT . . . Is an electric rice cooker limited to rice, only? May I use it for other grains? I'm thinking of barley and farro. Thanks, Hive!

Here's what it says on wiki

Well, the rice-eating people of the world soak and rinse their rice. Not just to remove dirt (we get it cleaned here in the West), but for the starch. It does make a difference and rice-connoisseurs can see the difference (and of course taste it). I am very picky about rice obviously. A great basmati rice can make me happy for a long time.

My Asian side of the family insists on rinsing rice. And that's how I grew up doing it. I haven't stopped yet. Old habits, you know :)

I don't know why we do it. Just do.

If you use a rice cooker, unrinsed rice that was supposed to be rinsed can make a starchy bubbly mess.

Lentils should be picked through on the theory that there might be debris such as small stones; I guess rinsing could take care of this if you swished it so that lighter things rose and heavier things sank.