Menu

Netflix feels the pain of cancellations!

I'm still trying to decide which service to go with. I like the streaming because it's easy to use for homeschooling and the dc like to watch old cartoons on it through the Wii.

I like the DVD program because some of the stuff I need for school or old movies we want to watch aren't available through streaming or through Redbox.

Ughhhhh. Why did Netflix do this to me? Greed. Greed. Greed. :D

When I first heard of the rate hike, I thought we'd cancel. After doing some calculations, if we keep the unlimited streaming and 1 dvd at a time unlimited, we end up paying about fifty cents or less per movie or show, regardless of how we watch. Redbox can't top that, plus we don't have to leave home for Netfilx.

It doesn't hurt though, that we didn't watch a lot of the more popular shows when they were first broadcast. My queue is filled with shows like 30 Rock, Ugly Betty, Burn Notice (dvd only), The Glades, Psych, Monk, and a long list of others I never watched. I can stay busy with streaming for quite some time and never watch anything twice.

We also have shows and movies that we like to watch repeatedly. With Redbox you get current only. With Netflix, we can watch new and old as often as we like for one price.

As far as losing Starz, it sounds like Starz was the greedy one there. They wanted Netfilx to up the price and introduce a tier system. Netflix refused. Had they given in, they'd be the target of everyone's anger, not Starz.

I understand for a lot of people the hike makes Netflix not worth it, but for us it's still a bargain. If dh will ever decide we are finally ready to cancel Directv, it will be an even bigger bargain.

Ha! Glad they got my message! I am one of those that cancelled the DVD portion, as much as it hurts my Dexter addiction.:tongue_smilie:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Price-Hike-Sends-Netflixs-nytimes-985924951.html?x=0&.v=1

Thanks for reminding me! I forgot all about this and wanted to go to 1 DVD at a time before my next billing. We had already gone from 3 to 2. There really isn't much in my queue that isn't on instant.

Blessings,

I still think Netflix is a bargain. We use the Roku to stream Netflix and Hulu and sometimes we use Amazon for current release movies if we can't get them at a Redbox. Netflix has so many old shows we all enjoy that we use their dvd program a lot and I prefer their streaming to Hulu (no commercials is an awesome thing). We don't get regular tv because we don't have cable and live too far out for our antenna to pick up anything with any regularity.

When I first heard of the rate hike, I thought we'd cancel. After doing some calculations, if we keep the unlimited streaming and 1 dvd at a time unlimited, we end up paying about fifty cents or less per movie or show, regardless of how we watch. Redbox can't top that, plus we don't have to leave home for Netfilx.

It doesn't hurt though, that we didn't watch a lot of the more popular shows when they were first broadcast. My queue is filled with shows like 30 Rock, Ugly Betty, Burn Notice (dvd only), The Glades, Psych, Monk, and a long list of others I never watched. I can stay busy with streaming for quite some time and never watch anything twice.

We also have shows and movies that we like to watch repeatedly. With Redbox you get current only. With Netflix, we can watch new and old as often as we like for one price.

As far as losing Starz, it sounds like Starz was the greedy one there. They wanted Netfilx to up the price and introduce a tier system. Netflix refused. Had they given in, they'd be the target of everyone's anger, not Starz.

I understand for a lot of people the hike makes Netflix not worth it, but for us it's still a bargain. If dh will ever decide we are finally ready to cancel Directv, it will be an even bigger bargain.

Our calculations came out similarly. I am more likely to cancell cable at the end of the year than Netflix. I hardly ever find something on tv that I want to watch. I justified cable as being low cost after paying for internet and phone plans. Partly in order to have tv available for big emergencies. But the reality was when the earthquake hit Japan, I got better news through various internet sites.

Now if I can figure out how to stream computer stuff on my tv I'm golden. A Roku may be my Christmas present.

I am NEVER going to pay for premium channels on cable. Not going to happen. In part because we have been outside the US so long and go to movies so seldom, that almost anything is new to us if it's on Netflix. And Netflix carries tons of stuff I want to see that is never on cable.

I hope the distributors figure out that there is a market beyond the cable customers that Starz provides.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

A Roku may be my Christmas present.

We got a Roku fairly recently and don't get regular tv programming. On 9/11 I was bummed because I wanted to watch some of the memorial coverage. The Roku news stations had updated by that evening and I was able to see the highlights and a night news cast. I'm loving my Roku!!

We dropped the streaming and just kept the DVDs. It's cheaper for us, plus most things I want to watch are only on DVD. Then too, our internet/computer connection isn't fast enough for most movies streaming.

We might switch to their cheaper plan yet with just two DVDs per month. As school is here and we all get busier, we just haven't had time to watch much. I have plenty of things taped on our DVR with Dish - things like the Colbert Report and the couple "current season" shows we watch (White Collar, Burn Notice, Falling Skies) that I can't get via Netflix until later.

I am the same way, I have watched quite a few of the same shows on netflix as you.

Since Sci Fi changed and a lot of channels started carrying junk we have grown pretty disillusioned and bored with cable, there is rarely anything we want to watch on television. Also, there are many programs dd cannot watch, at all hours of the day!

We reduced our cable bill by 50% because of netflix, we are still saving money this way.

Most of our viewing is on netflix, dd and I are currently watching Voyager together. It is nice to have some options.

Edited by Sis

Yup. I need to figure out how to get Amazon streaming on my TV, and then I may dump Netflix completely. We cut our subscription back to just streaming.

Really? I checked out the Amazon offerings a while ago, and they were just awful. Of course, it was when they just announced their service, so it was brand new.

We had never ordered a Netflix DVD, so it didn't make a difference to us to choose. I think it's a great deal, personally. As someone else said, a far better deal than cable.

This is where we are. We are keeping Netflix. We do not have cable, but do have a digital antenna that receives broadcast. We have apple.tv, through which we watch Netflix. We can also buy on demand movies from Apple. Even at $5 a pop, it is worth it for us, as it would cost us $10 an hour for a babysitter and $14 a ticket for a first run showing.

You know, on the one hand I feel everyone's pain - it's no fun to have to pay more for anything.

On the other hand....it actually takes money to produce tv shows and movies, and to run these services. It takes money to provide the structure for us all to stream things into our houses.

Why should the producers of tv shows and movies give them away? Why shouldn't they be paid to make them? Why shouldn't we the users pay for the upgrades to the infrastructure that we'll need to stream everything everywhere.

I feel like we've become a society that wants everything to be free. In the end we're either going to pay for what we get....or we're going to stop getting it.

I used to pay $4.50 PER MOVIE! Now I pay $7.99 for unlimited access to all the content. That's still an amazing deal.

If Netflix runs out of content, we'll cancel it. Meanwhile we pay $2.00 per movie at those red box things in the grocery stores. Really - how cheap can entertainment possibly get?

I don't think Netflix or Stars are greedy. I think consumers are the ones that have gotten greedy.

They are going to see more of it as the month progresses. My billing date is at the end of the month, and I am canceling before then. It is not worth it to me to pay $16 when I was paying $10. Sometimes we only watch 1 show or movie a week, so that comes to $4/show.

$16/month for Netflix is okay by me. We still have cable so dh can watch a few football games per year; the kids and I never turn on the the tv to watch anything other than Netflix streaming/DVD (at least 2 per week, much more in the summer & school break times). Those few football games cost $75/month = $900/year. Ouch.

You know, on the one hand I feel everyone's pain - it's no fun to have to pay more for anything.

On the other hand....it actually takes money to produce tv shows and movies, and to run these services. It takes money to provide the structure for us all to stream things into our houses.

Why should the producers of tv shows and movies give them away? Why shouldn't they be paid to make them? Why shouldn't we the users pay for the upgrades to the infrastructure that we'll need to stream everything everywhere.

I feel like we've become a society that wants everything to be free. In the end we're either going to pay for what we get....or we're going to stop getting it.

I used to pay $4.50 PER MOVIE! Now I pay $7.99 for unlimited access to all the content. That's still an amazing deal.

If Netflix runs out of content, we'll cancel it. Meanwhile we pay $2.00 per movie at those red box things in the grocery stores. Really - how cheap can entertainment possibly get?

I don't think Netflix or Stars are greedy. I think consumers are the ones that have gotten greedy.

I totally agree. If you want free streaming, watch Hulu where they have obnoxious and non targeted ads every 10 minutes (meaning not child friendly during a cartoon I put on for the kids). Netflix offered free streaming to their customers for ages, which was awesome. But it costs them money, so why shouldn't they make the customers pay for the services they're receiving?

They've put a TON on streaming! We love it! We've been watching the Munsters, The Addam's Family, old Don Knots movies, and they keep adding more. Really, got 16 Dollars a month, I get almost anything I want to watch at MY convience-no running out at midnight so I don't ahve to pay late fees-no paying late fees. Years ago I paid 16 a month for 3 movies! Now I get all of that? best 16 I've spent.

Edited by justamouse

I think consumers are the ones that have gotten greedy.

You are kidding, right? I mean, producers make MILLIONS when movies are played at movie theaters. They make MILLIONS on residuals when movie's are played on TV, for years. They are making $$$$$$ when the rights are purchased to be played on Netflix, Amazon Streaming, and anywhere else. Believe me, they are not giving away ANYTHING for free. Certainly they have the right to be paid for their art, their hard work. I don't think that was ever in question.

The question is why are we being charged by Netflix MORE for the exact same product. Do you not complain when gas prices go up? Do you not complain when milk prices go up? You are not getting anything more for your money, but the prices go up still. Unfortunately for those types of things, they are a necessity, not a luxury, and not alot of choice if you purchase it or not. But Netflix is a luxury. Most consumers will want the best value for their dollar. When the price goes up, but yet, I get nothing added to my value, yeah, I'm gonna complain.

You are kidding, right? I mean, producers make MILLIONS when movies are played at movie theaters. They make MILLIONS on residuals when movie's are played on TV, for years. They are making $$$$$$ when the rights are purchased to be played on Netflix, Amazon Streaming, and anywhere else. Believe me, they are not giving away ANYTHING for free. Certainly they have the right to be paid for their art, their hard work. I don't think that was ever in question.

The question is why are we being charged by Netflix MORE for the exact same product. Do you not complain when gas prices go up? Do you not complain when milk prices go up? You are not getting anything more for your money, but the prices go up still. Unfortunately for those types of things, they are a necessity, not a luxury, and not alot of choice if you purchase it or not. But Netflix is a luxury. Most consumers will want the best value for their dollar. When the price goes up, but yet, I get nothing added to my value, yeah, I'm gonna complain.

I think the question is why Netflix added an entirely new service without raising their prices previously. I don't know if they wanted to work out any issues, or if they weren't sure it would take, or if they were figuring out the legal issues. But everyone being so upset that Netflix offered up a completely new service for no additional charge for their customers, for such a long time (it's been at least a year) and is now actually treating it as a separate service, reeks of entitlement.

I assume Netflix is kicking themselves for not charging people out of the gate, just because of the public relations fiasco of everyone complaining that they weren't willing to double their service without raising costs. I, personally, appreciate that they let us use both services for so long.

My husband figured out that if we change from 3 DVD's at a time to 2 DVD's at a time, we'd pay roughly the same amount we've been paying, so that's what we went with.

We did the same thing. It's 1¢ cheaper per month now (unlimited streaming + 2 DVD's at a time) than what we were paying before (unlimited streaming + 3 DVD's at a time). If we "need" another DVD, we'll just get one from Redbox.

I just cancelled the dvd part, and kept the unlimited streaming. We don't use the dvd's ... I order them, forget to watch them, return them ... so there is no point. The kids use the streaming portion, and I got a Roku so we can use the tv if we want to.

It is much cheaper for us to buy Netflix and Hulu services than to pay for Direct TV, so as soon as baseball season is over, I'm going to cancel that, too. The only reason we have it is so we can watch Red Sox games. Hopefully, the MLB service on Roku works because DH and DS3 will simply expire if they cannot watch every game.

I think streaming is going to put cable/satellite companies out of business eventually. I hope so. They charge far too much for their product. I hate having to pay so much money to watch tv and still get all those ads. I also hate having to pay for so many channels no one here watches, and pay more just to get a more expensive package which does contain a channel or two that everyone loves. Consequently, I don't watch tv ... but the rest of the family does.

I think streaming is going to put cable/satellite companies out of business eventually. I hope so. They charge far too much for their product. I hate having to pay so much money to watch tv and still get all those ads. I also hate having to pay for so many channels no one here watches, and pay more just to get a more expensive package which does contain a channel or two that everyone loves. Consequently, I don't watch tv ... but the rest of the family does.

Me too. We didn't have cable for several years, and I didn't miss it at all. We have it again, because we changed ISPs and it was a better deal to get it during the introductory year than not to get it... and what a waste. I never watch it. So many ads. Never anything to watch. It's such a waste. I love having the streaming, and I have no problem paying for the service. I'd much rather pay than have to watch a ton of obnoxious ads.

I don't have a problem with the $ hike, it's only $6 for us. My issue is the reduction in streaming options. If they were to increase their library and include more (see better!) doc's I'd willingly pay more. As it is we signed up for Discovery Ed (through G3) and I even invested in cable for the doc's to use for school (after nearly 3 years cable free!) My kids are over the moon. They love cable, I hate paying $60 more per month but had to bite the bullet since Netflix rarely has anything I need streaming....