Menu

I won't say a word, I won't say a word....

lynn

It's killing me, letting my 18 year old son make his own adult decisions. He's been working 30+ hours and taking 12 hours of classes. We "suggested" he ask his work to just give him 15hrs. He worked until 1A has class at 11A this morning and he just went back to bed. I won't nag, I won't say a word, I know he can tell time...he's now an adult, he's now an adult......

I did the exact same thing when I was 19, plus Karate 3 days/week. I ended up getting really sick and having to drop EVERYTHING. (I worked at Subway and every time I showed up I'd end up fainting from the heat of the oven or puking.) I had to withdraw from classes because I missed so many. And I never got past green belt (couldn't afford it after that.)

Unless he desperately needs the money, imho, it's not worth the risk to his health.

My oldest gets up at 3AM to get to work at 4AM, works full-time, has school 5 days a week, plus church obligations, and it is taking its toll. She is starting to crash. I did say something. She doesn't have to listen, but I will point out when I think she is hurting herself. I want her to succeed, not fail.

It is hard to watch them learn to handle adult life. That said, though, I have found that my boys become much more efficient when they are busier. The more school, more hours of work, the more studying they did and the less time they spent playing on the computer, napping, etc.

FWIW, my dh worked 15-20 hours per week at KMart during his first 2 years of medical school. He was still Junior AOA and dated me. It was the only way he could afford to go to medical school. At the end of his second year, the medical school dean was shopping in KMart and saw him. She asked him why he was working there and he indicated he had to in order to go to school. The next Monday she had a $1500 scholarship for him for his 3rd and 4th years. While that doesn't sound like much today, it was substantial back then.

Your son will survive and will learn to be efficient...and that is a lesson that we cannot teach easily and it will stay with him forever.

Yep. They can generally handle it, especially if they have a recharge day every couple of days.

When I was in college, I was a single parent to a 2yo, took 15-18 hours every semester, and worked 20-30 hours a week.

I am not sure how I handled the 2yo! I have one now and have help (the other dc) and it is still tough sometimes.:tongue_smilie:

He'll handle it. I try to remember that most of these decisions are not life altering, even if they make us nervous.;)

It is hard to watch them learn to handle adult life. That said, though, I have found that my boys become much more efficient when they are busier. The more school, more hours of work, the more studying they did and the less time they spent playing on the computer, napping, etc.

FWIW, my dh worked 15-20 hours per week at KMart during his first 2 years of medical school. He was still Junior AOA and dated me. It was the only way he could afford to go to medical school. At the end of his second year, the medical school dean was shopping in KMart and saw him. She asked him why he was working there and he indicated he had to in order to go to school. The next Monday she had a $1500 scholarship for him for his 3rd and 4th years. While that doesn't sound like much today, it was substantial back then.

Your son will survive and will learn to be efficient...and that is a lesson that we cannot teach easily and it will stay with him forever.

Now THAT is impressive!!!

And here I am, on the opposite end of the spectrum . . ..

My dd, first semester of college, is taking a light load and not working much. (5 hrs/week) I'm wishing she was working more. . . . but she worked 28 hrs/week her senior year, and it was too much for her.

I just feel like she's taking it too easy, you know? But - her decision. She wants to start off slowly (she's never had out of the house classes before) and be successful.

I'm NOT a good parent to a young adult. Can't figure out when to say something, and when to keep my mouth shut. :confused:

Awwwwww. I would be so proud. I would let him do it, while I stood there beaming the whole time because he grew up to be such a hard worker. I would let him figure out that running oneself into the ground isn't a good thing on his own, after making a gentle suggestion about it.

Hehe. I bet you're brimming with pride underneath your motherly worry.

He'll live I'm sure :) I did much more when I was in college. I took 18 hours of classes and worked 30-40 hours a week between 2 jobs. Then I did student teaching 45 hours a week and 1 class and 10-15 hours of work and planned my wedding and applied to 20 different schools to find a teaching job upon graduation. I had no choice, I was independent of my parents and needed to make ends meet but gosh was I tired!

Come to think of it I'm still tired from it, lol!

I can see that this would be hard to watch, but want to reassure you that he may handle it just fine. I had NO money through high school or college, and had to have a job to pay for basic necessities as well as school. I carried a full academic load and worked a lot of hours, not to mention myriad other important things to manage in my life. I was short on sleep at times, yes, but I not only survived but had a full, rich, wonderful life. I don't really have regrets for those hardworking years, and have often been grateful for the many life lessons I internalized from that time.

Pretty much sounds like my college experience, and many other's that I know, except add a few hours of drinking after work at 1 a.m., lol!

Don't say a word....it's what will make him appreciate college, and graduate, looking for a "real" job. The appreciation that life is a struggle, and you have to work hard to get what you want. It's rough, but in the end, a good life experience for him.