Menu

Looking for cloth napkins for everyday use

I wanted napkins for awhile, but didn't want the hassel of having to hem them. Finally I realized I had a bunch of fat quarters (a quarter yard of fabric, but it's cut into a square, not just a long strip cut off the bolt) that I'd had forever, wasn't going ot quilt with and really liked. I still didn't want to hem them so I cut the edges with my pinking (zig-zag) sheers. After the first couple of washes you get the frayed edge and they work great.

There is no ironing (:svengo: just the thought of that! For anything really!). I just toss them in the wash with with everything else. Mine are a little wrinkled because I dry them on the line, but if you toss them in the dryer they are just fine. Just fold them as you wish.

I used my fat quarters and a bunch of other scraps that I had that were big enough. So we have a mish-mash of napkins, but I like it that way. Everything from prints, to kid prints, to NY Giants! They are cheap, you can pick out any fabric you want and just cut it to size. I think we are actually going to make seasonal ones this year too.

We just a bunch of white washcloths. TONS of them. My kids pull them out for napkins when eating, for kleenex, for spills, for helping clena, you name it. I love my big basket of multi-purpose wash cloths. I do have "real" cloth napkins that I use when guests are over, and they wrinkle, too. But day-to-day when it's just us, the washcloth wins.

We have lots of cotton napkins - twill restaurant style, lighter broadcloth one's from rummage, some I've made from yardage. They don't have to be ironed. The only ones I have to iron are the vintage linen.

We had some polyester. I don't care for them; they're just not absorbent and I've had a dribble roll right off (luckily mostly to the floor, where the doguum cleaner is waiting to pick it up). They also don't fold nicely.

My nicest textured napkins that can go from dryer to basket without muss or fuss, are soft cottons ones from India. I have some Pier One napkins that are perfect and I enjoy the colors. I try to keep the colors coordinated so they look pleasant to me piled in the basket. :D:tongue_smilie: I have some OCD issues, I suppose. lol

Here is a nice easy pattern for cloth napkins, written for beginners. They are two-sided, which is easier than hemming.

We use cloth, and we just fold neatly, I do not iron them. Some of them wrinkle less than others; the less-wrinkly ones are less absorbent and I prefer the others. High-quality fabric does make a difference. Use a nice quilting cotton rather than something skimpy that will "wash up like an old rag", as my mom says. Cheap fabric is just that.

We have bandannas, thrifted napkins, home-made (serged edges/rolled hem), and napkins (handkerchiefs) from Dharma Trading that I tie-dyed in a rainbow of colors.

I put them in a nice basket and don't stress about the wrinkles. I have experimented with rolling rather than folding; this might be a better "display" approach for you where the wrinkles aren't as prominent.

I think once you really get going with cloth napkins, you end up with an eclectic mix. So buy one, try it out, see if you like it. Then try another. And so on. You'll eventually narrow down what you like and what you don't.

But don't feel like you need to get it exactly right the first time. The ones you love will migrate to the top of the pile and be used frequently; the ones you don't will be at the bottom and only used when you're backed up in the laundry department or have a lot of people over. We probably have 30 or so. I gave up keeping "nice" ones aside for special situations, because we never used them. Better to use them all, every day, and enjoy them.

I second the thrift store idea--since they don't iron things before they put them out to sell, you'll be able to see what they will look like with just a washing. I don't iron mine (but I don't use them all the time)--I just pull them out of the dryer before they wrinkle. I don't like polyester.

I bought some nice cotton broadcloth from a place online and hemmed up the edges. I never iron them and they rarely look wrinkled. I got 8 different patterns, 4 of blue/ecru and 4 green/ecru to match my kitchen (all the blues and greens match each other). Each family member has their own pattern and we have a guest pattern. This way we use a napkin for a day or more before washing unless it gets visibly soiled.

I was buying dish towels at Sur La Table, when a woman told me they make excellent napkins. I think she said she cuts and sews them to make two per towel.

They keep their color in the wash (even if you use a little bleach), they're soft, and absorbent.

They're the best dish cloths. I'm tempted to give cloth napkins another go.

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-532366/Striped-Kitchen-Towels%2C-Sets-of-3

I have some Pier One napkins that are perfect and I enjoy the colors.

:iagree: Get them when they are on clearance, after the season has passed. I do not like polyester napkins as they don't absorb very well. The ones that I picked up at Walmart on clearance are working OK - but I look for heavier, broadcloth-type napkins ... the fabric that is often used in the plaid pattern in country decor.

We use washcloths from Target, kind of like these...

http://www.target.com/p/Home-Striped-Solid-6pk-Wash-Pack-12x12/-/A-11277837

I have lots of sets, and actually none of them are that pattern, but they come like that. I have a lot of seasonal ones and then some basic ones. They hold up really really well and are great as napkins, think.

We use washcloths from Target, kind of like these...

http://www.target.com/p/Home-Striped-Solid-6pk-Wash-Pack-12x12/-/A-11277837

I have lots of sets, and actually none of them are that pattern, but they come like that. I have a lot of seasonal ones and then some basic ones. They hold up really really well and are great as napkins, think.

Cute idea! Do you set the table with these in the "regular way" or do you do something different?