Menu

omg

I think we're going to be OK.

The local version of Service Master will be here again tomorrow. They cleaned out the ducts first this morning. Ewwwwwwwwewewewewew

They've promised us we won't be disappointed.

I'm hopeful.

Painting tomorrow with Kilz and new paint.

Ozone generator is ready to lock and load when the cleaners are finished.

Bathroom outfitters are coming tomorrow to give us the low down on the bathroom situation. My contractor Uncle says that we'll have to rip it down to the studs.

Computer connection is tenous at my folks. They don't have much bandwith so I will be on only late at night.

Thank you for your support. I need it.

Sometimes gutting and starting over is the simplest way.

Just curious--what's up with your dh's job situation?

I heard her yell at them when she called to tell them she was out and ready to give them the keys. She told them never to contact her.

I don't get this. *She* left a disaster, but your parents are the bad guys? Ugh!

The local version of Service Master will be here again tomorrow. They cleaned out the ducts first this morning. Ewwwwwwwwewewewewew

I'm hopeful.

Bathroom outfitters are coming tomorrow to give us the low down on the bathroom situation. My contractor Uncle says that we'll have to rip it down to the studs.

Computer connection is tenous at my folks. They don't have much bandwith so I will be on only late at night.

Anytime :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I'm hopeful.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: Best wishes and prayers!

I'm hopeful.

It sounds like things are getting resolved quickly. Praying that everything continues to go quickly and that you all can move into the house as soon as possible.

:grouphug:Sending saber support, hugs and prayers your way.

I'm hopeful.

Sometimes this kind of thing is a blessing - you'll get to choose your own bathroom fixtures, for example, and not be stuck with someone else's idea of what looks nice. (I'm such a Pollyanna, I know...)

I was very happy to rip out the previous owner's orange linoleum in my kitchen; we probably wouldn't have bothered if it wasn't trashed.

Sometimes this kind of thing is a blessing - you'll get to choose your own bathroom fixtures, for example, and not be stuck with someone else's idea of what looks nice. (I'm such a Pollyanna, I know...)

This.

It took us 6 months to get rid of all our smoke-damaged stuff after our apartment fire last year, and most of that time was spent crammed in the back bedrooms and making several Craigslist appointments a day. I was miserable. But now that the dust has settled, I've been able to redecorate from scratch, and our home is much less "college dorm" looking. And I also have a lot of positive reviews on ebay, lol. Anyway, it wasn't worth it for all of that, but there is a bright side, and now that I'm not going through it anymore, I can appreciate that bright side.

But yeah, it really stinks while you're going through it. :grouphug:

I'm glad you at least have a temporary place and I do hope the weather holds for you! If Service Master needs follow-up, I'd use loads of white vinegar. It takes out all odors and is especially good on urine. It kills mold (especially if used in follow-up to hydrogen peroxide), and it kills bacteria - all in a safe manner....

I'm hopeful.

Servicemaster are miracle workers. I'm sorry you're going through this. It's going to be a rough few weeks, but it will be ok. :grouphug:

The local Service Master needs two days to clean. Tomorrow they power wash the basement. Today they washed walls, ceilings, cupboards, bathroom, and some floors upstairs.

They've got an air scrubber running. Tonight the ozone air purifier.

DH and BIL are painting over the burnt orange brown kitchen & one bedroom tonight. They'll do the rest of the rooms this weekend.

It is looking up.

We'll be able to move our beds into the living room tomorrow evening and perhaps sleep there.

I am putting my city housewife flabbiness through quite a workout. I have no stamina.

-- Service Master is taking a third day \. Powerwashing the basement today. --

Edited by CalicoKat

I was very happy to rip out the previous owner's orange linoleum in my kitchen; we probably wouldn't have bothered if it wasn't trashed.

Oh! That reminds me of a couple of things!

The pee house? We were able to retile the kitchen and dining (who carpets dining rooms with small children, anyway?) with that .99 cent a square foot ceramic tile from Home Depot. We lived with just having backer board down until one we liked 'came around' (they change which one is on sale every month). We used a darkish (e.g. tan, but not brown) tile with BROWN grout so that the grout wouldn't get all gross looking.

Also, you can find awesome deals on bathroom and kitchen fixtures for next to nothing at... oh, I don't know exactly what they're called (brain dead this morning) - they aren't junk dealers - they are these places where contractors get rid of their "extras". Like when they have 2 leftover sinks from a housing project, or they ordered the wrong sink for a customer. Sometimes places like Home Depot even have an endcap with returned faucets, etc. for the same reason at a MAJOR discount. I have bought expensive Moën faucets dirt cheap that way. My best friend got a $2000 "all in one" spa bath shower thing for something amazing like $200 because it was black. She paired it with a Japanese theme and the bathroom looks amazing.

Just thoughts.

a

Also, you can find awesome deals on bathroom and kitchen fixtures for next to nothing at... oh, I don't know exactly what they're called (brain dead this morning) - they aren't junk dealers - they are these places where contractors get rid of their "extras". Like when they have 2 leftover sinks from a housing project, or they ordered the wrong sink for a customer. Sometimes places like Home Depot even have an endcap with returned faucets, etc. for the same reason at a MAJOR discount. I have bought expensive Moën faucets dirt cheap that way. My best friend got a $2000 "all in one" spa bath shower thing for something amazing like $200 because it was black. She paired it with a Japanese theme and the bathroom looks amazing.

Just thoughts.

a

There's a ReStore in downtown La Crosse. Worth checking out if you need anything like that.

WOW, Service Master is amazing!

We unloaded the truck today into the house.

The new carpet can be installed next week as soon as the installer can fit us into his schedule. Until then we'll finish painting and figure out the bathroom remodel.

Most of our stuff is in the living room, and porch.

The ozone generator is running tonight. :001_smile: The spot in the basement that had fresh cat feces still smells like amonia even after powerwashing it. BUT I'm going to lay down some old towels soaked in Bac-Out on it for a week or so.

Thanks for your interest and support. I'm encouraged tonight and I think we haven't made a poor decision afterall in moving here.

WOW, Service Master is amazing!

We unloaded the truck today into the house.

The new carpet can be installed next week as soon as the installer can fit us into his schedule. Until then we'll finish painting and figure out the bathroom remodel.

Most of our stuff is in the living room, and porch.

The ozone generator is running tonight. :001_smile: The spot in the basement that had fresh cat feces still smells like amonia even after powerwashing it. BUT I'm going to lay down some old towels soaked in Bac-Out on it for a week or so.

Thanks for your interest and support. I'm encouraged tonight and I think we haven't made a poor decision afterall in moving here.

Great news!!!!! :grouphug: I am very relieved for you guys! And now what a fresh start. ;)

I'm glad you have a Service Masters in your area who can do all this! It seems that their work completely cleans and sanitizes everything, giving you a blank slate you can paint, etc. I've not seen their work before, but it sounds like they are very good (and this is good to know in case of any such future such problems with a house)....

I'm wondering how they clean walls without ruining the sheetrock? Or do they somehow keep the water off the walls and you just paint those (I was thinking you said there was some mold on some walls)?

I'm glad you have a Service Masters in your area who can do all this! It seems that their work completely cleans and sanitizes everything, giving you a blank slate you can paint, etc. I've not seen their work before, but it sounds like they are very good (and this is good to know in case of any such future such problems with a house)....

I'm wondering how they clean walls without ruining the sheetrock? Or do they somehow keep the water off the walls and you just paint those (I was thinking you said there was some mold on some walls)?

I didn't actually see them cleaning the walls. But I think they used rags with some solution on them and washed them down. The walls were painted so there was no damage to the sheet rock or paneling.

The biggest thing they did was suck up the spiderwebs in the basement and use a fire hose to powerwash it. Their scrubbing the kitchen cupboards was a bit lacking and I did redo those last night with my Basic H from Shaklee. The gooey grime was still sticky.

The one room in the basement that had the cat yuck still reeks. We're ozoning that room, bleached towels sock on those spots, dehumidifer, and keeping that door closed. It's the fruit cellar and I'm bummed because I don't think anything can be stored in there for a long while.

I spent a ton of time outdoors today weeding and mowing. Tonight some unpacking. DH painted all day.

I'm so happy to hear that Service Master helped and hoping you are able to get the existing smells out of the fruit cellar. It's even better to hear you say you are not regretting the move afterall!

May things continue to improve and you love your home soon! :grouphug:

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this, but glad that progress is being made. Good for you!

Also, I agree with the posters who have said that vinegar will work better than bleach on the cat ickiness smell. I'm actually dealing with a new cat going outside the litter box right now (gross) and the vinegar is the only thing working.

Good luck! Here's hoping you're fully installed in your new home very, very soon.

Who owns the house, your aunt or your parents (was it the aunt who trashed it or did her tenants trash it?)

I am so sorry but glad to see that you have industriously tackled the main issues. What a lot of mess, but in the years to come your kids will look back and laugh at the time they stayed in a tent trailer because the house had to be cleaned. :001_smile:

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this, but glad that progress is being made. Good for you!

Also, I agree with the posters who have said that vinegar will work better than bleach on the cat ickiness smell. I'm actually dealing with a new cat going outside the litter box right now (gross) and the vinegar is the only thing working.

Good luck! Here's hoping you're fully installed in your new home very, very soon.

Thank you for the vinegar suggestion. It WORKS! My root cellar smells only like pickles now. :D

This is truly amazing. The vinegar fizzed when I put it down.