Menu

No jail, no fine for "hot sauce mom"

"Jessica Beagley will serve no jail time and pay no fine for punishing her adopted son with hot sauce and a cold shower, under sentencing delivered today by District Court Judge David Wallace. Wallace has sentenced Beagley to 180 days in jail with all 180 suspended, and a $2,500 fine with all $2,500 suspended. She must continue to attend counseling sessions with her son.

Beagley won't go to jail or be fined unless she breaks te conditions of her three-year probation."

Read more: http://community.adn.com/adn/node/157925#ixzz1WSrgTSYR

If she violates probation then the sentence is imposed.

I think. :confused:

Yes. That is how it works.

The judge is also thinking of the adopted son who needs counseling (which he is getting with his mom) and a stable home environment (which is best served with his adoptive mom if she's willing to go to the classes and counseling).

I like it. Best for the child not to have mom in jail, yet clearly sends the message that her actions were not acceptable and must change or she will be punished (I assume that's part of what the probation terms are). Also it is relevant that the reason she was caught doing this was that she was begging for help, clearly shows her motive wasn't pure evil, even though her actions were atrocious -- I don't know if it was desperation or lack of intelligence or resources, but it didn't seem like intentional abuse/neglect.

So she's sentenced to jail time.. but doesn't have to serve it. She's given a small fine…but doesn't have to pay it.

That makes no sense to me.

She was convicted of a misdemeanor. Jail/fine in this case serve no purpose to correct the behaviour that led to the conviction. If she fails (under the terms of probation) to correct the behaviour, the punitive sentence will be enforced.

The same holds true (here anyway) for misdemeanor traffic violations.

On The Today Show this morning they said if she violates her 3-year probabtion she could face up to 6 months in jail and a $2,500 fine. She said she did it "in the best interests of my children, because I love them. My responsibility as a parent is to try and help him the best way I could and do everything in my power to help him be the person that I know he can be." Her dh said "she lovesthe kids and her main goal in life is to be a good mom."

Hmmm....I'm not sure what to say about all that.

I agree, jail time and a fine won't help this woman. Only professional help, which she is seeking.

I feel for the boy, truly. The mom should most definitely have done something different, but she realized it was wrong and is seeking help. That is a step in the right direction.