Menu

How much does husband help with hs? Which part of curriculum does he help with?

momsuz123

Hi all,

Just curious - how much does your dh help with hs? Or does he not help with that at all, but took over other "jobs" around the house? The reason I ask is I am new to hs and prior to doing it, I thought my plate was a little too full, and my dh quite empty. I am wondering if I should have him be responsible for a particular subject - say science on weekends or something. I had him teach my dd1 her math lesson today, and I could see the frustration on his face. (Turns out he was trying to teach and expect her to do a weeks worth of lessons in 1 hour - oops).

Thanks,

Suzanne

My dh is an artist and ancient and art history buff, so he teaches art. When we did SOTW 1 back in first, he supported me with materials, explanations, etc. Last year he took over science for a few months as I was either very pregnant or had just had our baby. It went splendidly. I scheduled Rocks and Minerals (another one of dh's areas of expertise) and Electricity, and both father and son had a blast. A year ago he was ds' Cub Scout Den Leader and tennis teacher. This year we're outsourcing tennis, but he's working through Dangerous Book for Boys with ds. I'm fortunate that as I have a good system in place, dh is willing and able to take over some of the teaching duties. He likes reading the art appreciation books and showing ds the paintings in his many art history books (coffee table style books).

The short answer is then that this year he's teaching Art and Handwork.

ETA: Dh is only away for 50 hours a week, so he has more time than others. Reading the other answers made me realize he also always supports me, pays for everything, does more cleaning than I do, and helps me prepare meals, especially over the weekend. He's an awesome dad and gosh, wonderful husband too :wub:

Edited by sagira

I tried to get my DH to take over science this year so that I would have one less thing to worry about (plus it is an interest of his). It didn't work out. In fact, we are just skipping science this year (other than the animals we learn about in our unit studies). I have asked his advice on curricula, but he didn't really want to take the time to really get into it. He went with me to a HS convention and loved it, but I don't think he really wants to take an active role. He has taught school once and it went pretty well, but I don't see that happening very often. He is very supportive of me and acts as a principal when the kids act up. He also looks the other way when boxes keep arriving even though I said I had purchased all of my curricula..... :lol:

With my husband's odd schedule, he's available to teach quite often, but we've found switching teachers too often can get confusing for us as well as the kids. This year he's taking over social studies ~ we have a maps program and my husband really loves maps and navigation (it sort of goes with his job!) so he's going to teach the boys all about maps. Then they are going to do a whole project about various knots. After that I'm not sure what he's got planned.

In other words, my husband is taking over some of the electives type of stuff that I don't have time to think about :D

DH will fill in (substitute teach) for me if I have an appointment during the day. Otherwise, he just stays out of my way. :)

As far as around the house, we all chip in. DH washes, dries and folds the laundry and each person puts away their own clothes. DSS19 mows the lawn, washes the cars, vacuums the main living area, and cleans the main bathroom as well as his own room. DS9 cleans his room, clears the table, loads and unloads the dishwasher, and takes out the garbage. DD5 cleans her room, sets the table, and feed the dog. I take care of all the errands (groceries, bank, etc), cook the meals, walk the dog, sweep/mop the floors, deep cleaning, etc.

DH and I run an IT business together (I handle the phone calls, billing/paperwork, and errands and he does the techie work). I also work outside of the home a few days per week as a physical therapist. We both have several volunteer obligations (American Heritage Girls, Cub Scouts, Venture Scouts, AWANAS, Elks, MOMS Club, etc). We are both up-to-our-eyeballs busy but I feel like I have the best handle on the kids school work when I am the one doing the teaching. I know a lot of people can share the load, but that's not me. :)

Like the other ladies, my dh doesn't help homeschool except to pay for curriculum. In general he doesn't want to hear about it and he wants it picked up when he gets home. He doesn't do anything like dishes or laundry or feed children.

He works 6 days a week and is typically away from home 12 hours a day.

Mandy

My husband is not involved in any teaching or instruction but is very supportive and lets me get whatever I need. He is patient with all my curriculum changes and questions. Without knowing it, he gives me more and more confidence by never questioning or doubting that I can homeschool. He never expects me to have the house perfectly clean or supper on the table by a certain time. For this I am extremely grateful. Otherwise, with my personality, I would be a basketcase. :tongue_smilie:

Also, after my first year (Kindergarten), he took over the laundry. I don't even think about it anymore. It's wonderful.

Wow! Just writing this makes me realize I have a really great husband! :D

My DH helps with the financial part of the curriculum. That's all he does, and that works for me :D

:iagree:

He works full time and I'm at home full time. If I was working though, things would have to be different. But he really doesn't care what I use as far as curriculum, and doesn't teach any 'subject' in our school. If he is home during school time, he will help explain stuff to one kid while I help the other...or tell them to shape up and listen to their mama! :lol:

Dh brings home the bacon and fries it up in pan. He eases my load on the domestic chores front, but his eyes glaze over if I try to talk about curriculum decision or any academic decision (like whether or not ds15 should do AP Physics B and where I can get a tutor since Hunky Engineer Man doesn't remember much Physics!)

When they were little, he did some of the bedtime reading when I was trying to get another child down to sleep.

My dh is a public school history teacher, but he doesn't teach our kids all of their history. He tries to do special things with them when we get to certain events in history. Last year they watched and discussed the free dvd series that the History channel sent out. He also went through some stuff on the Civil War and WWII with them.

He is in a school that was taken over by the state, so he has a lot of paperwork on him. He has a new subject to teach this year, too, and the lesson planning is very detailed and difficult. I've asked him to try and do a few more things with our dd now that she's in high school.

History and bible are the only subjects he would really do any teaching anyway.

My DH helps with the financial part of the curriculum. That's all he does, and that works for me :D

:iagree: He is also very involved with our son's team sport activities, making sure chores are done, and baths are taken.

Edited by Tam101

My husband works full time and really has no involvement with the homeschooling, other than footing the bill and this year he went with me to our local homeschool conference. Yay!

He has not taken on any of the cooking, cleaning, etc. as those are my jobs since I wanted to be the SAHM who homeschools. I can live with that, so long as I continue to get to be the SAHM who homeschools. :001_smile:

Without knowing it, he gives me more and more confidence by never questioning or doubting that I can homeschool. He never expects me to have the house perfectly clean or supper on the table by a certain time. For this I am extremely grateful.

:iagree:

His income is the primary reason that we can homeschool. I juggle multiple part-time paid jobs, but mostly from home and it just fills in the gaps. The kids and I do the housework and most of the yard. He's 100% supportive.

Circumstances don't allow more than that, and I'm thankful for what we have.

My husband is away from home about 47 hours a week. The other 121 hours a week, we are both "on duty" with the kids whenever they are awake, and jointly responsible for the household chores. I also work part-time from home when he is at home. We view doing things with the kids during the daytime as my primary responsibility; any housework that gets done is a bonus.

He doesn't help much with homeschooling, because he's not generally home for it. If he takes the day off from work so I can go to an appointment or meeting, I leave a list of things to be done and he supervises the work. He does teach piano lessons, and participates fully in everything we do in the evening and on weekends (board games, soccer, museums, etc.)

Like the other ladies, my dh doesn't help homeschool except to pay for curriculum.

He works 6 days a week and is typically away from home 12 hours a day.

Yup! He's incredibly supportive, but doesn't actually participate most of the time. He does like to hear about it though and will read with DS or have other interactions (games, etc) but not specifically to teaching. He helps in other ways around the house when he can, but leaves the teaching and the choices for curriculum, etc completely up to me.

DH will fold laundry, load the DW, make sure kids pick up their rooms, put away their clean clothes, and do their chores, etc. He is DS's Cub Scout Den leader, and he will read aloud to kids at night, but not consistently. He will also grocery shop if I provide a list, which I hate to do. I do all other cleaning, pay bills/paperwork, errands, cooking, and I do transcription from home about 15 hours a week (night or early morning). He does not participate in curriculum decisions, but he was 100% involved in the decision to HS and supports it 100%. When he has been here while we do school, it makes us all on edge. He has different expectations for their behavior during school, and we feel like he is just watching for them to act up. I think he sees it as helping, but it is not conducive to learning. Hopefully this year will be different. Since last year was our first, I assume we will all grow into it more as time goes on (I hope), like the kids will behave better, he will relax, etc. So yes, he does help, but not with school.

My husband teaches art. He was an art major in college, and has been talking about wanting to get back into art for himself, so I asked him if he would take over art this year. He put together a full curriculum (starting with cave painting, which was great fun) and he teaches on his day off.

He guides the kids through their lessons if I'm sick - he knows where the files are and what's expected. He also helps me a TON when I'm planning by listening to me think out loud about which curriculum or book to use - none of which he cares about beyond how well I will teach the kids. :D

I also want to mention how encouraging he is. I have friends who would like to homeschool, but their husbands don't believe in it or belittle them by telling them they are not smart enough, so their kids are in school. I realize that just having a husband who *gets* it is a rare and generous gift.

My situation is a little different, because we're a three-parent family: Ex-Husband R, Fiance B and I. B and I are both undergraduates and R works 1-10pm Thurs-Tuesday, so we all have responsibilities outside the home and work together to make the homeschooling happen. I do all of the formal academic teaching, R takes them to playgroups, morning classes like science and spanish, and teaches the art history, and B does art projects with them and includes them in his woodworking and electronic projects. In terms of household chores, B does most of the cooking, takes care of the cat litter, does some of the dishes, and some of the laundry. I do most of the dishes, most of the laundry, and all of the ironing, meal planning, and the researching and planning of the homeschooling. Once we've graduated with our undergraduate degrees and B's in grad school, though, I'll take over all of the rest of the domestic arts (and I'm truly weird, because I'm really looking forward to it). R will also get back to a normal 9-5, M-F schedule at work and I'll do all the ferrying and teaching.

I (Dad) am the wake-up parent here. I get up w/ the kids and make breakfast, then start them on school. Since math's my strong-suit, that means we usually start with math. They're generally done with that by the time I head out to work and my wife (Mom) takes over to do the rest.

We split the curriculum research, but I end up making the weekly to-do lists that the kids work off of.

My husband is the financial backer of this little institution to which we've committed. :001_smile: He will listen to me talk about curricula, but not enough to the extent that he realized that I purchased both TOG and SOTW this year to try them out- he never realized they were two "competing" curricula, he just knows he's heard of them. He also looks the other way when the bills roll in... He does not teach, and like another has said, sometimes his presence and "help" is a little counter-productive.

My husband is slowly learning to lower his standards about the house. He does not see why the switch from unschooling to homeschooling has added such a drain on my time and energy. But when faced with the idea of whining about it and being confronted with the idea that he could do it himself or just putting up with it- he chooses the latter. As would I were I in his shoes.

I would like him to help out more around the house, but I'd especially like more from him with the kids. He leaves all child-care (ie baths, feeding, cleaning up after, discipline, allowance, etc) to me and likes to swoop in and be the fun one. I hope to talk to him soon about the shift I would like us to take- it's hard to be the teacher all day, with your guidance and correction, and then have to be the bad guy that enforces bed and bath time, too.

But, I figure we're all in transition, we're all getting used to new things, and we'll figure out the balance soon. I try not to allow resentment in my heart, because then it comes out in my words and actions. And then the only way he can reply is with defensiveness and resentments of his own... Yeah, I prefer to just make slight nudges and hints to what I really need and let go of the rest.

Hi all,

Just curious - how much does your dh help with hs? Or does he not help with that at all, but took over other "jobs" around the house? The reason I ask is I am new to hs and prior to doing it, I thought my plate was a little too full, and my dh quite empty. I am wondering if I should have him be responsible for a particular subject - say science on weekends or something. I had him teach my dd1 her math lesson today, and I could see the frustration on his face. (Turns out he was trying to teach and expect her to do a weeks worth of lessons in 1 hour - oops).

Thanks,

Suzanne

My husband does not help with any of the homeschooling. In fact, I've tried to have him help the older kids with some math work before and both kids ended up crying. So, I don't even ask him to help with any schoolwork. :glare:

My husband is a department head at a high-stress manufacturing facility and he has absolutely NO idea how to relate to the kids on their level. :D

So, no, I don't even want his help with homeschooling.

My husband handles the financial aspect of homeschooling only. Our "chores" have not changed. He does the outside work, and I do the inside work. We live on 10 acres and have some livestock. There is PLENTY of work outside. My DH doesn't sit around and play games or watch TV when he gets home. He works outside, on the cars, or if it's raining he'll do some side jobs (fixing computers) and work on finances.

So yes, schooling and housecleaning are all on me, and I think I got the better end of the deal. :D

My husband works and finances our curriculum, extra-curricular activities, field trips and so on.

I teach the kids.

For the most part, anyway. Sometimes there will be a particular hands on project or experiment that I think he will be better at or enjoy more than I, so I'll ask him in advance if he could help us with that particular thing the next day or sometime that week, and he of course would say yes.

If we ever got stuck on something for math, we'd go to him because he's much better at math than I am.

I've never asked or wanted him to take over a subject, but if there was a guy who had the interest, the patience, and the time, then sure, ask him!

My husband does all outside work around the house and while I do the bulk of the day to day cleaning, he will pitch in and help when asked. So if I ask him one day if he would for example vacuum the stairs for me, he'll usually do it (although sometimes he'll tell me, "I'll do it later" lol).

He will often go food shopping with me or sometimes stop and pick up things we need at the store on the way home. ETA: And like someone else said, he's a better cook and often cooks breakfasts for us and cooks dinners on his days off.

So I just try to kind of ask for help as needed but don't want or expect him to take over big portions of school...I'd rather it be done my way and I don't think that would be his strong suit with regard to patience.

Edited by NanceXToo

DH worked 75 hours last week, so we're lucky if we even see him. He makes the money, and I spend it.:D

He does mow the grass and makes breakfast on Sunday mornings. Plus, he is incredibly supportive. He works long hours in order for me to be able to stay home and raise our family. He's also really good at asking the girls what they learned each day.

Edited by LuvToRead

Homeschool instruction is 95% my thing, but he loves that the kids are homeschooled. He trusts me 100% to choose their curriculum and to choose how much to spend on it. He will voice opinions but yield to my authority in the area. He will engage with the kids in the evenings to talk about what they've done and learned each day. He will step in and teach something when and if the opportunity presents itself, but anything he does is supplemental, not core. Same thing around the house - he helps with odds and ends when he can, as-needed, though I do most of the work around the house. He works incredibly hard and also is attending graduate school so I try not to ask too much of him, and he knows how hard I work, too, and he consents to me spending whatever I feel necessary to stay on top of the house work. I hired a yard service and twice-a-month housecleaning help (just for deep cleaning that gets neglected around here) because he just doesn't have much time to help, so I consider that his contribution since he works hard to earn the money that pays for those services. When his schedule allows, he will pick up kids and bring them home from activities that end after 5 pm.

Some weeks are different than others. The nature of his work is there are some weeks where he is working a ridiculous amount, and others where it is a normal 40-hr work week plus school. I just go with the flow. He is an awesome husband and father with a great work ethic and he respects what I do and is very accepting if he comes home and things are still in chaos. I feel like he doesn't expect anything from me, and accepts that on any given day I am doing the best I can (and in turn, I do try to do just that.) <3

Edited by zenjenn

My husband is tackling presidents, composers and Shakespeare this year. He also does all the yard work and laundry. I handle all the finances, investing and most inside work. I decide on and purchase all the curriculum except for the subjects he is teaching. He just says "I need xyz for next week." He also takes dd on a field trip on Sundays for a minimum of 2 hours. I NEED that quiet time. :)

DH does Science Saturdays, Art on Sunday, and Music Mondays. I still teach our regular Science curriculum during the week, but DH expands on it or goes down rabbit trails. Every Sunday, he and DS choose a project from Discovering Great Artists, and on Monday evenings DH teaches piano. If we are planning a family activity on a weekend day, it's not a big deal to skip these activities, but the kiddo enjoys them (and I hope DH does, too).

Household - DH shares the cleaning and cooking with me, and I would say he cooks more than I do, because he is a better cook. :D I do all the laundry, because his few attempts at laundry have left us shopping for new clothes. And we have a cleaning team do the basics. We share the yard work.

It's been random. When the dc were younger, dh sometimes did the readaloud while the boys cleaned the kitchen. He also helps the dc with biology dissections because he's better at it than I am. He did a short course on marketing with ds18 because that's his thing.

I suppose it should be no surprise that mom's represent the backbone of HSing activities. Our family is a bit different.

I have a peer at work that introduced me to the idea of HSing before I became a dad. I read about it regularly and asked questions, not really planning to move forward with it.

When the time came we were not impressed with the local ps and pulled ds out after completing 1st grade.

We easily agreed to hs and having done most of the research I picked the programs and I teach most.

I work at home most of the time so I have time between tasks and have picked programs that allow for ds to take the lead.

On most days I teach math, grammar (and associated programs), start spelling, writing, and history.

My wife works with him on latin and his CC, Foundations memory work and Essentials assignments. Our youngest is also in Foundations and he tags along.

She also helps with a local Co-op where ds take a couple science courses.

We're both involved, with the work tilted a bit more toward me. I pick most of the programs we use, though I discuss everything with my wife so we're on the same page.

She handles most of the work around the house but I do need to pitch in more.

Jim

Well, until December, DH was the primary homeschooling parent. I worked full time as a telecommuter, and he did not work. I was doing all the research and paying for it. I was handling Spanish and language arts. He was doing math and science. We were just doing living books for social studies, and we both worked with handwriting.

I had a job change, and DH returned to high tech after being a stay-at-home dad for 7 years. I still have a telecommuting position, but we actually like having us both work now. It feels more secure. His job is tremendously flexible, as is mine. After that happened, we took a long break from schooling in the Spring. Our personal life was in upheaval, and it was far too stressful for us all.

She went to camps all summer so we just started our new plan a couple of weeks, and it's going okay. DD is much more interested in things this year; she really does not want to go to school, and she understands how much we're trying to make this work even with 2 parents working full time.

So, I do the bulk of the schooling now because I'm home and we can juggle around my schedule. He does science daily after work, and they're going to start doing stuff on Sundays too. But, I do get up at 5am to get some work done before she awakes. It's a corporate job so I have to be available at certain times and for meetings, etc.

But, DH does all the cooking, organizing, etc. I hate to cook; he loves it more than anything. We did start getting a housecleaner 2x a month because neither of us could do it.

DD will actually be outside of the house daily for 2-3 hours for different activities. Some I drop her off; others I stay and work from the location (as long as I have wi-fi or 3G access, I can work from anywhere). DH will also take time off throughout the year for field trips; he's the field trip guy, not me.

I'm hoping we can make it work, but we're all in this together.

Due to our schedule DH isn't involved in the day to day teaching unless I have an appt. He is very eager to hear about what we do and he is very, very supportive. He is right there in with me while I go through my yearly curriculum madness. He will listen very patiently and be very supportive while I make my decisions. He always defers to me for the final decision though.

He would love to teach but just can't be here.

As for household duties, we very much split them. Homeschooling is my job, just as he has his. Just because my job is in the home doesn't mean I am also responsible for all the housework. Our jobs are of equal value to the family. My husband can be very flexible at work because I am home providing childcare. That has helped him a great deal. He never has to leave a meeting early due to childcare issues, or miss a day of work due to a sick child (occasionally, he has to miss work due to a sick wife though). He was recently asked to teach a class in Africa and could accept on the spot because he doesn't have to worry about the kids.

Outside of our professional realms, we try to be interchangeable when it comes to parenting and household management. There are things we each do better..he rules at laundry and I do all the grocery shopping and household management..but I pitch in with laundry and he can go grocery shopping and knows how 'the system' works.

My husband does not help much with formal learning, but does a lot that teaches the children.

He does facilitate my son's progress in programming. That's sort of formal.

Here's the rest:

He plays lots of board games and card games. They play resource management games, critical thinking games, logic games, Wizard (a trick taking card game), etc. We own more than a hundred board games and my children know how to play about 50 of them.

He tries to keep almost 100% of our screen time educational by buying or finding documentaries and TED talks.

He talks to them a lot about our faith in Christ, and living for the glory of God looking for the JOY in doing so. He also reviews their catechism questions with them and reviews the sermons every week.

If he's around when we do Science, he joins in abs it's great fun!

I think most fathers are more suited to teach dc their own interests rather than help with mom's plan of formal learning. :)

My DH is extremely supportive (this was HIS idea to begin with afterall :p), but the scope and organization of our homeschool is up to me. But he's happy to help with whatever I can assign him. This year we started TOG, so he listens to Pop Quiz every week - I think that's been a good addition. He has an art degree, so I recently tasked him with Fine Arts. We'll see how it goes, but it makes more sense to me... I like crafts, but the more classical arts are not my thing. He also takes our son to music lessons (I dread it for some reason) and usually does any sports we're enrolled in. He's great about teachable moments, which is why I also asked him to read our bi-weekly BFSU lesson... just so he knows where we're headed each week and what things to talk about if we can. He generally does the laundry, though it's not his responsibility. It would just never get done often enough if it was left up to me!

DH is unemployed right now, so he's teaching Sylvia her math & LA while I teach Rebecca. When he was working, he gave the girls art/music appreciation classes on Saturdays.

I do every aspect of choosing curriculum. Basically, the hsing buck stops with me. He's completely supportive, but I make all the major decisions.

My husband is very supportive, but I handle all of the educational responsibilities. He goes to the annual homeschool convention, lets me set our hs budget, and is willing to watch kids so I can plan lessons, go to the library by myself (or at least without the toddler), or sneak out for a sanity break. He is much more of a natural teacher than I am with everyday life and taught ps high school for six years, but he has shown no interest in participating in the formal education of our hs. I do wish he would ask more about our day and what we're learning, but I think that will come as the kids get older. He communicates verbally so much at work that when he gets home he really needs a (communication) break most days. He doesn't care if the house is a mess (and never once complained the week I set aside to do some major curriculum research and the week I focused on doing most of my lesson planning for the year) or doesn't complain about eating sandwiches for supper when I haven't gotten my act together to actually cook a meal. He doesn't mind running errands (something I do not enjoy) and does some of the grocery shopping. He doesn't really do any additional housework (unless I ask), but he does all home and yard maintenance and as much auto repair as he can. One of the things I appreciate most is his willingness to take the kids out of the house so that I can stay home - I am such a home body! I count myself very blessed with all the support he provides.

My husband is really into homeschooling. I do all of the research, go to the convention, and make up the curriculum and schedule, but he likes me to go over everything with him. He comes up with thoughtful insights and suggestions, and that helps me tweak things to make our plan better.

He is usually off one weekday per week, and often he does all of the teaching for that day so I can go out and run errands. He likes me to find interesting historical fiction, biographies, and science books from the library for him to read to the kids before bedtime. He is the one who is 100% sure that homeschooling is right for our kids, and he often reassures me! I am very thankful for all of his enthusiasm, help, and input.

Edited to add:

My dh wasn't supportive at all when we started homeschooling. We got "forced" into it I like to say, having to withdraw our son from ps. However, we have both done a complete reversal and now love homeschooling. So even if your dh isn't supportive or involved much at the beginning, things may change as you go along as it did with us. :001_smile:

Edited by Mrs Twain