Menu

Hurricane Check-In Thread--Come here to tell us you are ok

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here in southern NJ, lots of rain and wind picking up. Lots of tornado watches right now.

I am most concerned about the large trees on our property. With all the rain this month, it won't take much to take any one of them down.

We may end up taking everyone to the basement overnight.

Be safe, everyone.

GO HOME IRENE!!!

I just feel like eating everything in the freezer, just in case the power goes out.

Robin in NJ

That reminds me, we should eat all the ice cream tonight! The kids will like that! :001_smile:

We're in Southeastern PA. It's been raining since the afternoon - it's lighter right now. They say the worst is supposed to be 3AM to 8AM here.

Almost 9 PM, nine inches of rain so far, wind is howling in scary freight-train way, road is covered with water (may be washed out by morning), power's been out since noon, cell phones aren't working and landlines are almost unusable with static. Lots of loud crashes from the woods. Suspect we've lost a lot of trees.

Bleah.

SWB

Here in southern NJ, lots of rain and wind picking up. Lots of tornado watches right now.

I am most concerned about the large trees on our property. With all the rain this month, it won't take much to take any one of them down.

We may end up taking everyone to the basement overnight.

Be safe, everyone.

GO HOME IRENE!!!

If your basement is dry with this rain, that's something to celebrate.

We have two big silver maples right behind our house, near the bedrooms. I've heard they have no tap roots and you can see the roots running along the surface of our yard. I've heard they go down easily.

Looks like a lot of Jersey girls checking in. :)

Almost 9 PM, nine inches of rain so far, wind is howling in scary freight-train way, road is covered with water (may be washed out by morning), power's been out since noon, cell phones aren't working and landlines are almost unusable with static. Lots of loud crashes from the woods. Suspect we've lost a lot of trees.

Bleah.

SWB

Yikes! Good thing they evacuated W&M. Where did all those college kids go???

Bleah.

SWB

:grouphug: Oh, my. Sorry to hear this. Prayers going up for those in Tidewater.

I'm in Northern NJ and the rain just started. The satellite dish keeps losing its signal and the lights flickered once. We do have a lot of trees and that's my biggest worry. No basement and only one story so we don't really have too many options.

The predictions are calling for tropical storm conditions in my town but literally 3 miles east of here they are calling for hurricane conditions. Somehow I doubt that 3 miles is really going to make a big difference.

We have had rain all day in Carroll County, MD (mid state), and the winds are picking up. We expect the worst of it overnight. But the rain did not keep football games from being cancelled :glare:. On the other hand because the boys are playing football we are not at the beach at all this month.

I fussed about coming back so early, but maybe it was for the best. I think the kids would have been rattled by a mandatory evacuation. I just heard that at our beach in Ocean City,MD waves are 12 feet and coming over the dunes and they have made everyone who ignored the evacuation give next of kin information (yikes!).

Lights here have flashed a few times, but we still have power.

Hang in there everybody.

Bleah.

SWB

:( Thanks for keeping us updated! You know that you all have been in our thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted.

I'm mid-shore, about 45 miles west Rehoboth, DE. Wind and rain are pretty steady here. We still have power, though I understand Delmarva Power is reporting at least 30,000 customers out (I assume on the lower shore/coast).

We're still getting antenna reception from DC/NoVA, but the locals in Salisbury & Dover are spotty.

We hope everyone is in a safe place and ride out the storm in relative comfort.

I'm in Waldorf Maryland (Charles County- southern part of the state). I have power, but friends within a couple miles on each side of us have lost their power. We have a lot of rain and wind- really picking up out there.

Just hoping my new apartment on the Eastern Shore is okay- I'm about 45 miles from Ocean City, but right on a river.

I'm in Waldorf Maryland (Charles County- southern part of the state). I have power, but friends within a couple miles on each side of us have lost their power. We have a lot of rain and wind- really picking up out there.

Just hoping my new apartment on the Eastern Shore is okay- I'm about 45 miles from Ocean City, but right on a river.

We have a house on the river in Solomon's Island (Calvert Co.). It's troubling.

Right here it is totally, eerily calm right now. Spooky.

I'm worried about friends in that general area, poking out into the bay in St Mike's and on Tilghman. :(

I am near the route 206/route 70 circle in southampton, burlington county.

are you near??

I just feel like eating everything in the freezer, just in case the power goes out.

Robin in NJ

We play lacrosse on your fields! We're very close.

Our power has flickered a few times, but we're holding on. Tornado warning now, so we're all in the basement watching Pixar night on ABC Family.

We are in Maryland, 45 minutes northh of Baltimore. Rain and wind have increased in the last hour. Lights flickered twice, but holding on...at least for now. Storm hasn't even technically hit MD yet. We are very nervous because of the 40+ foot trees surrounding our house on all sides. Sent older kids to the basement to sleep, all 3 littles are with us and hubby and I are taking the night in shifts to keep watch (as best as we can) for trees. Just praying...

The hurricane has not hit us yet, but we have lots of rain and the wind is getting stronger...We still have power and I am so grateful for that because I just heard over 2,000 in my county have lost power...Our basement is flooding, so we are hoping we don't get a tornado...The worse of it is expected to start between 3 and 5 am...

The hurricane has not hit us yet, but we have lots of rain and the wind is getting stronger...We still have power and I am so grateful for that because I just heard over 2,000 in my county have lost power...Our basement is flooding, so we are hoping we don't get a tornado...The worse of it is expected to start between 3 and 5 am...

We're planning to be up all night.

Wind at night sucks.

Lots of rain and the wind picking-up in NW NJ. Kids and I are sleeping in the living room but dh is stubbornly staying upstairs. We're ready for a power outage and I did bake my son his GF bread this afternoon so he can happily partake of pb&j with the rest of us. However we live in the woods, on the side of a hill, next to a large creek and the ground is already saturated so all this talk about how easily all the pine and maple trees in my yard are going to topple over onto me is kinda freaking me out! :blink:

I guess it's time for some of that ice cream! Wishing everyone a safe night! :grouphug:

We had flashing lights drive by - not fast - a little while ago. I haven't heard the firehouse siren go off once, though.

We're all sleeping in the living room. (you all see how asleep I am, right?)

Ok, putting the phone back on to charge. :)

We consider ourselves lucky-- Delmarva customers who still have power so far, and only had to head to the basement for half an hour so far for a tornado passing by, but it didn't hit us, though it scared the kids. They're sleeping in the living room now instead of upstairs, which makes me feel better in case we fall asleep or lose power/ability to monitor for tornadoes.

Now the biggest issue is the sump motor burning out or us losing power for it (no backup) in which case the basement will very quickly flood-- the water is just pouring into that little well (one of a few reasons the kids aren't sleeping in the basement). The worst of the rain hasn't hit here yet, nor the winds, but we'll be getting it in the next couple of hours, I think.

So far the trees are holding fast as well. So, we have water, food, shelter, power, each other . . . we're good.

Stay safe, everyone.

Just heard more tornado warnings have just come in . . .

We consider ourselves lucky-- Delmarva customers who still have power so far, and only had to head to the basement for half an hour so far for a tornado passing by, but it didn't hit us, though it scared the kids. They're sleeping in the living room now instead of upstairs, which makes me feel better in case we fall asleep or lose power/ability to monitor for tornadoes.

Now the biggest issue is the sump motor burning out or us losing power for it (no backup) in which case the basement will very quickly flood-- the water is just pouring into that little well (one of a few reasons the kids aren't sleeping in the basement). The worst of the rain hasn't hit here yet, nor the winds, but we'll be getting it in the next couple of hours, I think.

So far the trees are holding fast as well. So, we have water, food, shelter, power, each other . . . we're good.

Stay safe, everyone.

Just heard more tornado warnings have just come in . . .

You took the words right out of my mouth, er, fingers. :D Once the tornado warning passed the rain let up a little and our sump pump is keeping up. Praying it doesn't come down as hard and fast again or our basement will flood. And we have no "interior" rooms - they all have windows, so we are not looking forward to tomorrow's winds. And we have 4 huge oak trees in our backyard, so we're in the living room as opposed to second floor. Praying this passes!

Almost 1 a.m. In central MD. We're in the worst of it (for us) right now. I think winds are close to 60 mph at this point. It's supposed to taper off from here on out. I'm in a forested area, so I think some of the wind is getting blocked. Friends in other parts of town have more dramatic reports. The wind IS louder than the rain at times. The most impressive part is when you look up. We have really tall trees (try not to think of it too much) and they are really swaying up at the canopy. Its exciting, but I'm not quite foolish enough to go out and catch video.

Almost 1 a.m. In central MD. We're in the worst of it (for us) right now. I think winds are close to 60 mph at this point. It's supposed to taper off from here on out. I'm in a forested area, so I think some of the wind is getting blocked. Friends in other parts of town have more dramatic reports. The wind IS louder than the rain at times. The most impressive part is when you look up. We have really tall trees (try not to think of it too much) and they are really swaying up at the canopy. Its exciting, but I'm not quite foolish enough to go out and catch video.

thanks for the update. it is 2:53 here in central NJ. I thought the worst was supposed to be here at 2. if so, we were fine!

Robin

All appears well here on the mid-shore. A bit gusty, but the streets are just wet, none of the usual pooling at the curbs and my driveway.

Looks like we lost leaves, but no limbs down. Power's on, and we still have DC channels via antenna (so that's still on the roof and there's not a lot of storm left between here and there).

Delaware? New Jersey? How are you faring?