Menu

Is it really so much more expensive for high school?

Jenny, we're just beginning the high school 8th/9th this year. Because I've done lots of planning, I don't foresee high school being more expensive for us. We'll spend more on science, but it will balance out because of what I already own for other subjects.

I've found of a lot of inexpensive texts that were recommended here. I've scoured for online lectures in certain areas so we don't have to buy extra teaching DVDs, although I may splurge on Teaching Company DVDs.

Many of these materials I bought for my own self-education and am saving for ds. I found an entire Lial's Intermediate algebra set cheaply at Goodwill. I ordered the student text and spend less than 6.00 total for the TE, student book, and student solution book. I spend a lot of time (because I have more time than money) looking for recommended texts that have teacher material available. There are a lot of "hidden" resources online at the high school/college intro level.

We don't buy fancy put together programs and I put together several courses based upon ds's interests. We'll continue that way in high school.

I plan on buying a e-reader for the specific purpose of saving money on literature costs. I like having two copies of the books we read. I've been able to pick up many classics and GB at thrift stores. Many of them are online for free and ds can use those for lit.

At this point we don't plan any dual enrollment and we'll outsource only if we find the right fit.

Science will be the bulk of our expenses next year, probably close to 400-500. However, because I've planned ahead we should be able to get the rest of our material for less than another 500, so we'll be within my goal budget of 1000.00/ year.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jenny, we're just beginning the high school 8th/9th this year. Because I've done lots of planning, I don't foresee high school being more expensive for us.

Science will be the bulk of our expenses next year, probably close to 400-500. However, because I've planned ahead we should be able to get the rest of our material for less than another 500, so we'll be within my goal budget of 1000.00/ year.

Hmm...you know, the people who "spend more" and the people who "spend less" on high school may not be so far apart after all. I'm one of those people who'd vote "more expensive", and yet, I'll spend way less than $1000 total. It all depends on your scale of expensive/inexpensive.

Hmm...you know, the people who "spend more" and the people who "spend less" on high school may not be so far apart after all. I'm one of those people who'd vote "more expensive", and yet, I'll spend way less than $1000 total. It all depends on your scale of expensive/inexpensive.

Well, there IS that!

But I've still spent about 10 times the amount on ds's stuff that I did on BOTH dds! (Though they're combined for some things)

That would be lovely, except that I need a teacher's guide and answer key (see note re: science mojo). Are those available cheaply as well? I've been assuming that college texts wouldn't have typical teacher's guides, but I certainly hope that I'm wrong.

I don't think you can find the teacher's guides on the market - but then, I the only instructor guides I have seen are geared towards classroom presentations, what topics to emphasize, etc and not something I would find terribly useful in a homeschool setting. An introductory college text is written TOWARDS the student, so the student should be able to take notes and figure things out from the reading. It's what I expect my high schoolers to do. If you throw in some free online videos, introductory sciences are pretty simple.

Student solution manuals ARE available, I did buy our chemistry one for a few bucks.

Again, I'm puzzled. My daughter got into college just fine on our $300 a year homeschooling. And I fully anticipate my son will, too.

I keep wondering if I'm just missing something or doing something wrong because I'm not spending significantly more on high school. But I guess it just boils down to a different approach.

How did you handle foreign languages? To us, that is the biggest recurring cost - because fluency can only be achieved through interaction with a native speaker, for which we have to pay. Any tricks I am missing?

My daughter did biology using a text someone handed down to us. It was free and turned out to be one of her favorite texts ever.

We did some of the labs recommended in the text but mostly made up our own lab series, focusing on botany since that was most interesting to her. I searched online and found lesson plans for all kinds of things to do.

She took Chemistry through FLVS. We supplemented for the labs, though, with a Thames & Kosmos kit. The kit was $200, and we used the equipment over and over.

Her other science was astronomy. I bought an introductory college text and access to a series of online labs. That was one of the years I spent more on science, and she ended up hating it. (She did only three years of high school before heading to college.)

My son took Earth-Space science last year through FLVS. It apparently counts as a lab science, although I certainly don't think it deserves to do so.

This year, he's doing a home-made science course, and we're making up the labs as we go. They will mostly involve "common household items" and some gardening supplies, I think.

I'm not sure what he'll do in the next couple of years, but I'd be surprised if we stray too far from what we've been doing.

I would have a lot more time, energy and inclination to hunt down stuff on the internet, make home-made courses and wing labs as I go along if I weren't also teaching an 8th, 6th, 4th, 2nd, and preschooler.

Don't get me wrong. I think it would be waaaayyy cool to do that. I really do. :D

But that is not feasible with my situation. So paying for materials that make school happen and keep it rolling must be acquired. It sounds like you guys have a blast on a budget. I think that's wonderful!!

I just don't want independent learning to be stigmatized as lazy teacher. Some moms battle chronic illness, some moms work outside of the home, some care for aging parents, some have lots of littles that also need schooling. I'm sure there are a host of other legitimate reasons that a mom needs a curriculum that lays it all out there without too much fuss. And some moms are just plain intimidated and aren't comfortable winging it. I think that is plenty legitimate in and of itself.

Enjoy your school year!

That may be true, but I'm always hesitant to ask outright how much people spend. It seems rude.

In the name of full disclosure, here's my spending for this year, which we're calling 9th grade:

English (1.0 credit) — $163.00

-- Imitation in Writing (used), $10

-- Growing Up Heroic (Duke TIP online course), $55

-- Registration and study materials for the National Mythology Exam, $70

-- 15 Books from BookMooch/PBS, $28

World Geography (1.0 credit) -- $9

-- Textbook I had sitting on the shelf (left over from my daughter), $0

-- Blackline maps (purchased on clearance sale), $8.75

-- Videos from www.learner.org, $0

-- Additional materials from the library, $0

Math (1.0 credit) -- $67

-- Art of Problem Solving: Intro to Counting and Probability, $47

-- Real-Life Math: Statistics (which someone gave us a couple of years ago), $0

-- Book of Codes (from PaperbackSwap, so I “charge†myself what it costs to ship out something else and earn a credit), $2.50

-- 6 more books and workbooks about cryptology (also from PaperbackSwap and BookMooch), $15

-- Flatland (a math novel, PaperbackSwap), $2.50

-- Assorted lesson plans found online, $0

World History (1.0 credit) -- $60

-- Cartoon History of the Universe I and II, $42

-- World History for Dummies: $18

-- Videos from http://www.learner.org/resources/series197.html and/or http://www.learner.org/resources/series58.html

-- Books and DVDs from the library, $0

Science in Popular Culture (1.0 credit) -- $55

-- Science of Star Wars (PaperbackSwap), $2.50

-- Science of Harry Potter (PaperbackSwap), $2.50

-- 2 simple robotics kits (purchased on clearance), $25

-- Lesson plans and lab ideas found online, $0

-- I added $25 for assorted lab and project supplies

Spanish (1.0 credit)

-- FLVS, $0

World Religions (0.5 credit) -- $8

-- Spine I found on the B&N bargain table, $7.95

-- More books and DVDs from the library, $0

Art (0.5 credit) -- $35.00

-- 2 kits from the B&N sale table, $35

Piano (0.5 credit) -- $0

-- He’s using a “teach yourself to play†book and CD set I bought for myself several years ago.

American Sign Language – (0.25 credit), $9

-- Introductory kit from B&N sale table

Total - $406 for 7.75 credits

Since he plans to finish high school in three years, we should come in at just over $1,200 for all of high school.

No trick, unfortunately. We use FLVS.

But that's your savings right there - since you say you get this for free.

We pay for a private tutor, and that is the biggest homeschooling expense.

So, when you compare cost, to be fair you should add the tuition it would cost people who do not have access to free virtual schools.

I've always bought the curriculum I wanted without thinking about price. However, I seemed to luck out with less expensive curriculum. I mean, we did Singapore Math all along. It's fairly cheap. However, ordering what I wanted for high school got me paying for a few $80 textbooks. OUCH.

Also, high school is just different for us . . .more serious, more rigid. We outsource more academics. Local community colleges cater to homeschoolers here, so I'm putting my daughter in academic classes now when we've only paid for extracurriculars in the past.

Finally, I'm TIRED. I've never been convinced that kids should teach themselves, so I've always been very hands-on with everything. We've done this for a long time and I'm ready to buy my way out of higher science classes rather than turn my home into a decent lab. I want to gradually get my daughter (who has always been home schooled) used to taking regular classes away from home. I'd rather she do a little adjusting in high school than have everything change all at once in college.

This year my 9th Grader is taking World Lit. and Latin at our co-op, and I'm looking into a CC Chemistry class and a IEW homeschooling class as well. Even though her Am. Govt. curriculum was free, the textbook was pricey. It just all adds up to a bigger price tag.

I just don't want independent learning to be stigmatized as lazy teacher. Some moms battle chronic illness, some moms work outside of the home, some care for aging parents, some have lots of littles that also need schooling. I'm sure there are a host of other legitimate reasons that a mom needs a curriculum that lays it all out there without too much fuss. And some moms are just plain intimidated and aren't comfortable winging it. I think that is plenty legitimate in and of itself.

Enjoy your school year!

Oh, no stigma at all! I completely understand about paying for convenience. I do it sometimes, too.

Again, I was just very curious about the presumption that high school has to be more expensive.

Maybe that's part of it. I've budgeted about 1000.00 each year since 5th grade. Didn't always spend that much, but it's been allowed. Considering we spent that amount on private preschool (in 2002) just for tuition I don't consider it "expensive" and I'm broke and frugal.

So, when you compare cost, to be fair you should add the tuition it would cost people who do not have access to free virtual schools.

Maybe, except that I'm fairly sure we wouldn't pay, anyway. There are so many free and cheap resources available. And, honestly, I took enough Spanish in high school and college that I could get my kids through the first year or two on my own. FLVS is just a convenience.

I agree. My list was not what I actually paid but what someone who didn't have the time to bargain hunt would pay if they pulled their child out of school tomorrow and decided to do highschool. One day notice.

I agree. My list was not what I actually paid but what someone who didn't have the time to bargain hunt would pay if they pulled their child out of school tomorrow and decided to do highschool. One day notice.

But that's not meaningful in terms of what I'm wondering. I mean, we all know it's entirely possible to spend lots of money on homeschooling at any level. What I was trying to ponder is why, whatever you've been doing and spending all along, it should suddenly be significantly more expensive to homeschool high school. In other words, if I've been relatively frugal up until now, and I continue sourcing materials and planning and educating essentially the same way I have been since preschool, why would high school require a big leap in spending?

So, if I've spent between $200 and $400 per kid pretty much every year for the last eight, why can't I continue to spend in that range and do high school well? What is is about "high school" that is different? And am I in the minority for not feeling like it is?

So, if I've spent between $200 and $400 per kid pretty much every year for the last eight, why can't I continue to spend in that range and do high school well? What is is about "high school" that is different? And am I in the minority for not feeling like it is?

For me, in upper high school, I wanted them to get used to the college style classroom without being overwhelmed since they weren't used to the regular classroom. Hence we did dual enrollment classes, but just one or two a semester during senior year. My eldest says he is really glad we did that way, and felt far more comfortable than he thinks he would have when he became a full time college student.

:iagree:

I can tell you my personal reason for spending so much money on high school -- we want the accreditation. We live in Georgia and all the universities I have looked into so far require portfolio type information for home educated students. Truly, it is quite intimidating even when I hear other parents say it wasn't that bad. DH and I realize that our children are only going to get once chance to get a high school diploma. It would be awful for them to finish 4 years of classes and have trouble getting into college. I don't want any regrets later. We won't regret having spent money on their high school educations, but we would certainly regret not doing so if it would create major problems when it counts. It's not like we could go back and redo it all.

The other thing is that I don't feel qualified to ensure they are getting what they need out of high school. I didn't like trying to grade small reports when they were in elementary school. I would have no idea how to grade a high school paper.

It depends on your dc goals after high school, at least partially. My oldest wants to major in physics and math. That means we have to do really good labs, which cost a bit. His math is about $100 for the books and dvd, so that's average. We are beginning to use online classes, which will increase our costs.

Another factor is that colleges are becoming more competitive. As this happens, many people are spending more on AP, dual enrollment, online classes and test prep. Those are the items that really drive up cost.

I do think parents can give a child a good education using less expensive curriculum choices and still get them into college. It really depends on which college and what the student intends to study, imho.

Denise

You seem to be in the majority.

Here's what I'm seeing people say are the expensive things:

- Outside classes

- Curricula for subjects parents don't feel comfortable teaching without additional support such as answer keys and teacher manuals (math, science, foreign language, mostly)

- Packaged curricula that allow students to work more independently

- Curricula and textbooks that more closely replicate what is being done in brick-and-mortar schools

- Science lab supplies

I also notice that several people mentioned extracurriculars, but I'm not counting them, because they are not homeschool specific. I'm wondering what it is about educating kids at home that requires extra spending in the high school years, but most people I know who have kids in school are enrolling them in all the same extras my kids do.

Interesting.

Thank you all so much for your responses. I'm beginning to understand a little better now why we're not seeing the big difference in our homeschool.

Yes, to these. Math for us was just under $200 a year, and probably close to that for biology and chemistry with labs. We were able to borrow a very nice microscope, and I did lots of bargain shopping on other subjects, used the library for lit and most of history, etc. Our cheapest year by far was his senior year. He was dual-enrolled for several electives and Spanish 1 & 2. $58 to the school plus a flash drive. Can't beat that! The two classes he took at home were cheap too- borrowed for one, bought used for a great price for the other. ETA: Grades 9-11 were more expensive than I'm spending now on the youngest, but he's only 7. I guess we'll see how that works out.

I think costs also depends on teaching/learning styles, what can be found used (or if you even buy used), and if more than one child can use the same books over again. My friend with 7 doesn't bat an eye at the price of high school math because she knows 6 more kids will be using it for free.

Edited by raceNzanesmom

No, it doesn't have to be.

Far more used textbooks are available, especially once you get to college level texts.

Outsourcing is the main culprit. And they often get you twice by insisting on the latest edition of the textbook. The more you can do yourself, the cheaper it is.

If we only count the stuff bought for homeschooling (that we wouldn't have paid for if they had been in school) it averages under $500 per year for all three.

A lot of things listed by pp's are things we would be paying for if they were in school also: PSAT, SAT, APs, music lessons, sports, travel, etc so I don't see how one can count them as "homeschooling" expenses. Obviously, whether or not one does these things is a personal choice, but it is independent of whether or not one is homeschooling.

I understand your point about the cost of testing and similar items being a potential expense in PS too. But I think that there is a good point to be made that you do need to be budgeting for these expenses. 1-3 tests a year is another couple hundred dollars that a family needs to remember to include as an educational cost. (And it seems that more large school districts are paying for PSAT and AP exams so that the students don't skip them.)

However, I agree that you can get some fantastic texts if you are patient and buying ahead. I just got a set of Earth Science texts (Tarbuck) including the lab manual, text and test bank and a Campbell biology text off of paperback swap. I put the texts I'm interested in into my wish list and wait to see what comes up. I've also gotten Campbell student study guides for biology.

I also haunt library book sales and used book stores. I have Conceptual Physics and a chemistry book that I picked up that way.

We live near a big college. I'm tempted to post something on campus boards at the end of the year that I'm looking for some specific texts.

For literature and history, I can't think of many methods that are less expensive than WTM. The wonderful lit selections are at most libraries (in really good condition, since no one else is reading them). One world history spine and an American history text can cover the overview. Again, we've picked up great stuff at library sales over the years. Our library carries AP and SAT subject test review books. In fact I can often get a slightly older edition at a library sale for a couple dollars. That can help me see that I'm not skipping over a big topic or concept.

It's not pennies to do high school, but it doesn't have to break the bank either.

I think the OSU German is $250 per level. So if you do all of Level 1 and 2 in a year , it would be $500 per year. (There are 4 levels plus AP.)

However, one of the factors that swung me over into using OSU was when I priced out the cost of textbooks at a couple college bookstores. Wow.

But that's not meaningful in terms of what I'm wondering. I mean, we all know it's entirely possible to spend lots of money on homeschooling at any level. What I was trying to ponder is why, whatever you've been doing and spending all along, it should suddenly be significantly more expensive to homeschool high school. In other words, if I've been relatively frugal up until now, and I continue sourcing materials and planning and educating essentially the same way I have been since preschool, why would high school require a big leap in spending?

I know something that has helped me in younger years was to have a general idea where we were headed, so that when good books presented themselves, I was ready to pounce.

I'm trying to do the same thing as we head into high school. I know we're going to do biology, chemistry and physics at some point, so I'm keeping an eye out for those books. I'm loving AOPS for math, so I'm on the hunt for more of those.

Similarly I'm looking for materials that I can use with science labs. Our geology labs this year will include a rock identification kit that we've had for years and never used (actually an old Science in a Nutshell kit, with 25 good sized rock samples and all the materials for streak and hardness testing, <$10 from a used bookstore) and a large crystal growing kit that I found at a big yard sale ($0.25).

I have a Brock scope that has served us well, especially as a field scope. But I'm considering getting a nicer microscope earlier, since we'll need it eventually and I'd rather get more good use out of it.

I guess part of it is being attuned to what you think you need down the road, so that you can jump on a deal when you run into it. Doesn't always work, but when it does it's great.

Maybe, except that I'm fairly sure we wouldn't pay, anyway. There are so many free and cheap resources available. And, honestly, I took enough Spanish in high school and college that I could get my kids through the first year or two on my own. FLVS is just a convenience.

Right, but it is the same sort of convenience that some people pay for. We aren't allowed to take classes through the public school; it is an all or nothing situation here.

As for homeschooling high school, I believe you can do it for a low amount of $.

Here are some thoughts on how I'd cover things if I had no $ or limited funds:

For this year for 9th:

History: Tindall textbook with free online study aids. I paid $1 for the text at Half Price Books.

Lit: I'd use the Norton Anthology of American Lit as a spine. Get books from the library for the rest. I also got this at Half Price books for $1.

Writing/Grammar: We aren't doing formal grammar this year. For writing, I'd use free online essay writing resources. I'd also assign a research paper. I'd probably include a daily journal, too.

Math: I picked up a copy of Lial's Intermediate Algebra at (you guessed it) Half Price Books for $2. The student solutions manual is under $10 on Amazon.

Science: Hmm. I guess I'd go with Apologia Chemistry used. In fact, I read someplace that CDB was selling first editions for $10 recently. I'd also spring for the Apologia lab kit that is sold at CBD and it's under $60. So, around $75 total. I might also, if time permitted, do MIT Open Courseware Kitchen Chemistry. The only thing needed is the book, which I believe can be found used or bought new from Amazon for about $20.

Foreign Language: If I had no $ to spend on this, I'd use free library access to Powerspeak. I'd also buy a MODG syllabus for Wheelock. $50 or less, I'd say.

Then, I'd make sure to reserve about $30 for a sketch pad, some art supplies, and a drawing book (we own Drawing with Older Children and Teens). I'd also get some nature reference books from the library if I didn't have them already.

Free test prep online like SAT Question of the Day.

This covers basic academic requirements IMO.

So, my sum total approximately is: $189, including art supplies, a new Apologia Chemistry lab kit and the book for Kitchen Chemistry. If I opt out of the Latin syllabus and only used Powerspeak, that brings the total to $139. If I get rid of the Kitchen Chemistry book, that brings the total down to $119. That is pretty low IMO. And I think it could really work.

If my child were not doing American History/Lit, I would go to Ambleside Online's website to plan her history and literature. I might consider investing in a Kindle for her because that would certainly save a lot of $ over the long run on buying books. I'd also look for TTC lectures from my library as we love TTC. I'd probably stick with Apologia because their lab kits seem fairly reasonable.

Now all that said, I am spending a lot more than this. But sometimes I wonder if life would be easier and I'd be less confused about what we should use/buy if I actually couldn't spend as much as I do.:blush:

I really believe it's possible to homeschool excellently, even at the high school level, without spending a lot of $ outside of a few more expensive things (like a microscope, for example). Lab equipment is probably the most significant cost, I would say. Foreign language would come next for us. But there are ways to do things for less. And even if one area of education isn't as perfect as we'd like, I think the overall homeschool experience is still so worth it for most kids.

It'd be fun to have a spin-off on the high school board about this: How inexpensively could you homeschool your high schooler this year if you had to? Share how you'd do this. Or another: Share suggestions for free/inexpensive ways to homeschool core high school subjects.

I guess part of it is being attuned to what you think you need down the road, so that you can jump on a deal when you run into it. Doesn't always work, but when it does it's great.

Yes, and that's the kind of thing I'm talking about. I've always done this. When the kids were younger, I used to keep lists in my purse of both subjects and specific book ideas for the next two years. So, every time we hit a used bookstore or the bargain tables at B&N or Borders, I could buy things for cheap and just let them sit on the shelf until I needed them.

Both of mine have used a big coffee table history of art I found at Borders for $12, for example. And the book my son is using as a spine for his world religions study this year is one I found at B&N a few years ago for $7.95.

At this very moment, I have some of my daughter's college texts that she couldn't re-sell sitting on the shelf. I figure my son can use them for a few classes in the next couple of years.

I have books I think might come in handy at some point in the future sitting on my PaperbackSwap and BookMooch wishlists. I put on those lists more titles than I think we might need in a year and then just wait to see what becomes available before I need it. Then, I build classes around that stack of stuff.

I do acknowledge that I'm lucky, I guess, not to have kids who want math or science careers. (Although we didn't know that before my daughter started college. When she left for her freshman year, she was still considering a degree in physical anthropology/archaeology.) And we may also be fortunate to have as the head of our homeschool (me) a person who enjoys researching and planning.

And, I don't know, having already sent one to college and seen her do fine, having had her tell me repeatedly that she learned more at home than on campus, maybe I also have the luxury of relaxing a little bit.

The really funny thing is that I remember being on the exact opposite side of this conversation a few years ago. I was participating on an e-mail group of liberal homeschoolers, and there were several members who kept telling me I was doing it wrong: I was, according to them, spending way more than necessary and over-loading my daughter with academics. Now, here, a few years later, I'm here feeling like I'm a slacker, despite the fact that I'm doing exactly the same thing.

Once again, thank you so much to everyone who's posted thoughts. I'm understanding some of the thinking better now.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

Right, but it is the same sort of convenience that some people pay for. We aren't allowed to take classes through the public school; it is an all or nothing situation here.

No, I understand that. The thing is, though, that those same conveniences are available in the younger years, too. My kids have both taken FLVS classes one and off since they were about eight. But, if those classes hadn't been available for free, we probably would have skipped them and done something else.

So, for me, it's about making use of the resources you have available. I happen to have FLVS available to me. If I didn't, I still don't think I would pay big bucks for a foreign language class. Of, if I did, I'd cut back some other convenience to make room for it in our budget. Our spending would not go up significantly.

Jenny, just to clarify, I definitely don't think anyone is a slacker for not doing it my way. I am well aware that I am paying to make things easier for me. :) Plus, I have 2 other kids. Their stuff is really inexpensive because I have only paid for replacement workbooks for some things.

:iagree: I started lurking and learning on the high school board well before ds was ready for high school level work. I know which publishers/authors to look for when I'm shopping (online or IRL). I've picked up a ton of books (after moving them it feels like a real ton) at thrift stores for .39 each.

For the remainder of my homeschooling career I know I'll have more time than money, so I have to plan ahead.

I keep seeing people say this, as though it's just taken for granted, that it costs so much more to homeschool high school than it does for younger kids.

But I'm just not seeing it.

Yes, when the kids were really bitty, I got by with workbooks from the dollar store and free worksheets online. For the preschool and early elementary years, I probably spent less than $100 per kid per year.

But by the time each one was about 9 or 10, I was usually spending between $200 and $300 on each one each year.

When my daughter did high school, with the exception of the one disastrous year when we signed up for a lot of expensive stuff she ended up hating and quitting, I spent right around $300 each year.

My son is beginning a full high school schedule this year, and I've spent just under $400 counting a bunch of extra art kits and supplies that I probably would have bought him just for fun, anyway.

Also, keep in mind that he's doing more credits this year than is typical for high school (probably about 8.25 by the time all is said and done). His plan is to finish high school in three years.

It just doesn't seem like such a big leap to me. So, I'm wondering what people are doing at the high school level that ends up costing so much more?

Using your own example, you spent four times as much on high school than you did on early elementary.

$100 might be doable but $400 might not be for the same family. At some point, the money just runs out.

Using your own example, you spent four times as much on high school than you did on early elementary.

$100 might be doable but $400 might not be for the same family. At some point, the money just runs out.

No, I said repeatedly that my spending levelled out at between $300 and $400 by upper elementary/middle school. There was no leap for high school, just a continuation.

And part of that had to do with the fact that I was a lot more broke when they were younger. As our household budget expanded, I spent a little more. But I've not found it necessary to spend significantly more just because "it's high school," which is the point I've been making all along.

I'm not sure what you're saying in the second paragraph?

I think she is saying if $400 is cheap for high school, then that is going to be too expensive for some people. Maybe there is an implication that this is a reason a lot of people put their kids in school in high school?

No, I said repeatedly that my spending levelled out at between $300 and $400 by upper elementary/middle school. There was no leap for high school, just a continuation.

And part of that had to do with the fact that I was a lot more broke when they were younger. As our household budget expanded, I spent a little more. But I've not found it necessary to spend significantly more just because "it's high school," which is the point I've been making all along.

I guess I just took the question, "Is it really so much more expensive for high school?" at face value.

If someone spends $100 on the younger grades and $400 on high school, to me, that is 4 times more expensive. Those were your numbers, not something I just made up.

:confused:

I don't know what is going on in this thread with virtual schools and old minivans but it looks like I am missing something.

If someone spends $100 on the younger grades and $400 on high school, to me, that is 4 times more expensive. Those were your numbers, not something I just made up.

Okay, but it didn't go from $100 to $400 overnight and just because my student was suddenly "in high school." I spent about $300 last year and had planned to spend a little less this year before my son decided to go crazy buying art kits. I figured since he had talked me into buying the darned kits, I'd give him some credit for art. But, honestly, I probably would have bought them for fun and not counted them in my homeschooling budget.

But it was the second part, about some people not being able to afford $400 that confused me. I mean, I understand that money does run out, and I absolutely could spend less than I do. I but convenience, too, sometimes, or just something that seems especially cool.

But this has always been true. We haven't found anything about high school -- either with my daughter or my son so far -- that is any different, financially, than the earlier grades.

Here is the reality why high school costs more. Number one, if you want your child to be able to go to a 4 year college of a certain caliber, you need recommendations. Those you get by having your child take outside classes. Depending where you live, those classes can range from almost free to hundreds of dollars. Dual enrollment costs range from nothing except book costs to about a thousand dollars per class. Many states don't allow use of schools for any reason- that brings up the cost of sports or extra-curricular activities. While I wouldn't count the cost of something like Boy Scouts when comparing with PS since that is always an extra, things like soccer, debate, music are not. If my kids would have been in school, I would have paid less for them to do these things- though with soccer, it may have worked out the same. The tests that I had to pay for would have been at least somewhat paid for- PSAT,PLAN, AP tests, one ACT test.

We don't have no cost virtual school options nor do we have free dual enrollment. I suspect many other states are like this. So yes, high school is more expensive by quite a bit than lower grades.

Maybe.

Or maybe I could start a thread about how my 8yo minivan works just fine and I can't understand why anyone would spend money on a newer, fancier vehicle. :D

Go for it! And I'm be in pretty much the same situation there as I think I am with curriculum threads. After driving used vehicles pretty much into the ground for a lot of years, we finally treated ourselves to new cars a few years ago. We can afford them. We drive a lot. We thought about it carefully and selected vehicles that would serve our needs and fit our budget.

Our newer small cars definitely cost more than driving a paid-for used vehicle. Just like I spend more on curriculum than someone who homeschools with just a library card, paper and pencils. However, they are not luxury cars and don't have a lot of bells and whistles. They are safe and practical and get good mileage, and we spent a lot less on each of them than the national average new car price according to the FTC. (I just looked it up.)

We could afford more expensive cars, just like I could afford to spend more on outside classes and packaged curricula. There are certainly lots of cool cars available that cost a lot more and have more features and look jazzier. We could also limp along with a pair of older vehicles that would not offer us the convenience, comfort, security and safety of the ones we have. We've chosen a middle road.

Where, please, do I find free access to a native speaker (or at least a person fluent in the language, a second best option) who wants to take the time to speak with us and correct our essays on a regular basis?

I find it extremely difficult to become fluent in a foreign language just by using textbooks, watching videos, doing online exercises - the listening comprehension and spontaneous conversation skill can not develop like this.

We are struggling with French; we are in our fourth year, and it is an uphill battle. We would like to actually learn the language, instead of just checking off a box.

For us, yes, although it wasn''t really a sudden jump from middle school to high school, especially since the youngest did lots of the middle one's high school along with him when he was in middle school (with a WHOLE lot less output). Our biggest expenses have been community college, travel, foreign languages, and science. I wanted the answer key to Ecce Romani, our history series (which is in French), and Conceptual Physics and Conceptual Chemistry. Those have been our expensive books. I spend a fair bit on used books each year, like Spielvogel and whatever lit we do. Often, I've opted to get good copies of things for the lit, thinking that the children are likely to reread them. (I was grateful that my parents gave them Shakespeares as an 8th grade graduation present.) If it weren't for the foreign language, travel, and community college, I could do high school for $300 a year, I guess. We have access to quite a lot of science equipment for free and I already owned a microscope. We wouldn't have all those little electronics kits and componants, though, which have been so important educationally, or laptops and internet (which we mostly have for homeschooling). I've managed with a bio book I found at the dump, but we aren't answering the questions. If we answered the questions, I might want the answer key as a time-saver. Just thinking out loud here... I would be hard put to do a good job with the chemistry. I could, obviously, if I had to, but I really don't want to.

It is hard, in our family, to separate out the academics from the extracurricular activities. GRIN For us, a quarter of your $300 would be spent on smartwool socks, without which peacewalking would be hard. A major part of my children's high school education is peacewalking. I usually think of gymnastics as an extracurricular expense but is it really? That got a bit more expensive in high school. And then there is the other travelling we do. Driving across country isn't exactly extracurricular.

CC textbooks for math and science cost a ton.

So for us, yes, high school is expensive. I feel rich, being able to educate my children in such a non-textbooky way. Very very rich.

-Nan

Where, please, do I find free access to a native speaker (or at least a person fluent in the language, a second best option) who wants to take the time to speak with us and correct our essays on a regular basis?

I find it extremely difficult to become fluent in a foreign language just by using textbooks, watching videos, doing online exercises - the listening comprehension and spontaneous conversation skill can not develop like this.

We are struggling with French; we are in our fourth year, and it is an uphill battle. We would like to actually learn the language, instead of just checking off a box.

Well, neither of mine has/had any interest in going beyond two years of any foreign language. So, looking for fourth year resources is not an experience I have.

However, as I said, I took a good amount of Spanish in high school and college. (I seriously considered a minor in the subject.) I'm rusty these days, because I never use it. But I'm confident I could get back enough of it to see my kids through a couple of years. Also, we have several bilungual folks at our church who, I'm sure, would be happy to help if I asked. One of the moms has started a Spanish playdate for her own kids and others whose parents want them to have a chance to practice the language. I'm sure we'd be welcome to attend that and chat with people there.

We all have different priorities for our kids' education, of course, and spend our money differently as a result. For example, I always get a little crazy when I read about parents who are "introducing" their high schoolers to Shakespeare. Literature and drama are things to which we've devoted a lot of time and resources over the years, because they align with my kids' passions and our family's interests. For some people, that is a "box to check off," but for us it's integral.

Foreign language? Not so much. I believe an acquaintance with another language is a lovely thing to have, that it enriches our lives. And if I had a kid who was really into it, I'd work harder to provide more. But it's not a priority here.

But this has always been true. We haven't found anything about high school -- either with my daughter or my son so far -- that is any different, financially, than the earlier grades.

There are just so many variables. I also had a Liberal Arts student that could have been very inexpensive, except for the few college courses that she took. I also think that each person budgets differently, so some things would be included in one person's homeschooling budget and not in another's budget. For example, is an SAT prep book a homeschooling cost or not? Some people give credit for SAT prep. Some give credit for Driver's Ed. We didn't, but that was definitely more money than we spent on our dd in younger years. I just didn't count it as homeschooling cost. Some pay money for sports, which we didn't, and some of those people count it for P.E. and some don't. Some people send their kids to camp and other interactive social events, which wouldn't be a homeschooling cost, but we didn't, so we chose for our very introverted dd to attend 1-2 outside classes per year, which ends up being a homeschooling cost in our budget. It was cheaper than some kid's activities, who attend public school. If our dd had been busy outside of the home, our homeschooling costs would have stayed low. Some people have kids with interests that just cost more money to support, especially if they make a class around it. Some people have access to great coops or mentors or community activities and some don't. Some kids finally develop a passion in their older years and that costs something to support. And the list goes on.

If I even chose one thing each year that fit into the above ideas, then the homeschooling high school budget would still look more expensive. We do not plan to homeschool our son, though I am doing things with him this year and will always keep very involved in his education. I have a feeling that his education will be much more expensive than our dd's was. He loves hands-on projects and building. (Craigslist will be our friend, but we live in a city with a lot of choices, too.) Our dd loved books and more books, which could be handled at the library mostly. He will also, most likely, want to be involved in sports or have lessons of some sort. Our dd didn't. We did give her some art lessons, when she was younger, but two of our higher expenses in highschool were to support her art with classes/fine arts credits. Yes, of course she could have gained fine arts credits for next to no cost, but she has talent and needed interaction and instruction.

I just think there are too many variable here. High schoolers cost more. If nothing else they eat more! Clothes are more expensive. Activities seem to cost more, too. They learn to drive. They take PSATs and SATs and ACTs and CLEPs and AP exams. They have application fees sometimes. They have more responsibilities that sometimes require more $$, though they may also bring in more $$, too. Then there is the activity level factor. As families get older they may be zooming from place to place and need to pay for convenience. I only have two children. If they were both older together, then I might have spent less, but I had a baby-preschooler during my dd's high school years. That helped us spend more to give her time without him. Choices. How DO you have a deep discussion with your teenage child with a wild child on the loose, who had a huge tendency to throw big fits with high volume and wildness. My dd was angelic, when she was, well, always. LOL This younger guy took a lot of work, love, patience to survive his younger days. Now he is very active, but can control himself much more. Like I said, if even one thing comes up that requires one extra expense per year to maintain the education or experience that is desired, then it is going to be more expensive. (Oh, and there are so many second hand things at the younger levels and not as many at the upper end. Even though you can get college level books, some people really want a teacher's guide and answer key and tests.) At least that is the way I see it. :)

yep, this is what we came up against. We used the free stuff, and even the less costly stuff, and it just doesn't compare to either being in a class of some sort of working with a tutor or native speaker. That has been hard to find as my DD studies Arabic. She is going to be in a small public school this Fall and taking a foreign language class at a local high school.

Foreign language is one of the most valuable things to learn, IMO.

We could do thiings more inexpensively if I searched out used materials years in advance, but a few years ago, I was buying up literature and music resources, and then my dc all turned out to want to go into science and math fields. Both of my girls changed paths completely over the course of about a year. You can buy some things ahead, but then you still have to deal with individual interests, programs that end up not working out, etc. The one thing I did manage to do was to build a great classics home library over the years, mostly for $.10-.50 a book. I also spend a lot of the time I could spend searching out bargains in reading and discussing with dc, too, because that is my approach to homeschooling.

Part of it may also be a function of the amount of money available. I know for us, my dc entering high school coincided with dh reaching a point in his career where he was getting promotions and raises. So for some, the age at which their dc enter high school might (luckily) be the same time as they are at the age that their career pays more than it did before. I would be making radically diffferent choices if dh still made what a first year teacher made. :D