Menu

Formal Spelling Program for 1st Grade?

cdrumm4448

Do you do a formal spelling program for 1st grade?  

1. 1. Do you do a formal spelling program for 1st grade?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

I started Phonics Road, which is intended for 1st grade, at the end of 1st grade. I decided to focus on reading well first and then doing spelling. So I would have delayed longer had we needed more concentrated reading work. All About Spelling is another option that starts young I think.

Edited by sbgrace

Yes, we used Abeka's spelling program. I messed up so bad with my 2nd daughter (didn't start HS till our oldest was in 5th grade and she was a spelling whiz by then) that I wanted to make sure DDs number 3 and 4 had a great foundation in spelling...so I went with what DD #1 learned to spell with and it is working out great!

I did because DS1 was reading well by that point (roughly 4th grade level), but didn't have the phonics background. I used a phonics based spelling program to kill two birds with one stone.

I'm starting DS2 out differently, but we're kind of doing a spell to read type thing (he's pretty good at spelling the simple words that he can read), so it will probably all be one thing anyway.

If I had done a pure phonics-for-reading approach for K-2 and my kids weren't done with phonics-for-reading until 2nd grade, I would have waited on spelling. But since I'm using spelling to teach phonics, I am doing it earlier.

Well, I taught using Reading Reflex which sort of emphasizes spelling. I realized it's made it easier for my child to learn how to spell.

I've been using the Modern Speller book for dictation for a few months, and I am not sure what I'm going to do next!

My oldest is a "natural speller" and I would've actually been okay with never studying the subject formally but just working on errors as they arose in the context of writing. At the beginning of 3rd grade, she expressed an interest in doing a formal spelling program, so I started Spelling Power.

My 2nd started AAS after he finished Hooked on Phonics.

Yes. Echoing others, I did/do spelling in first grade with proficient readers. If they were not reading well, I would hold off. Although, interestingly enough, DS8 learned to read through spelling (he was obsessed with how to spell everything!), so I do think it could be a great plan to start with a child whose phonics learning works better in reverse.

I taught my daughter phonics and spelling at the same time when she was in first grade. I did not use a curriculum, but came up with words that followed a specific rule (such as -oa- words) and we would work through them for a week. It was laid back, but very helpful. She could read well at the time, but I still felt she needed a firm phonics foundation.

I would only do a formal spelling program if my first grader was a fluent reader. For my oldest, she did spelling in her first grade at a montessori school. For my youngest, we are starting spelling this year (second grade) with SWS. But we went through the ETC books and she did pick up on some spelling rules last year.

But since I'm using spelling to teach phonics, I am doing it earlier.

I had to vote "other" b/c we do spell to read in 1st grade.

I use SWR starting in 1st as phonics & spelling. It might be different with #4 when we get there, but I have a bit before he's in first grade. :tongue_smilie: