Menu

Poll: What is your homeschooling method?

rafiki

What is your homeschooling method?  

1. 1. What is your homeschooling method?

• Classical
    • Traditional
    • Charlotte Mason
    • Unit Study
    • Eclectic
    • Unschooling
    • Whole-Heart Learning
    • Carschooling
    • Principle Approach
    • Other

I voted CM, but we're actually quite eclectic. I use CM as the overall "theme" for homeschooling, but we also use a lot of classical stuff (WTM), and some Waldorf (Oak Meadow) - we're gradually shifting to a literature based approach, hence CM.

Favorite CM resources:

Charlotte Mason Companion

A Charlotte Mason Education

More Charlotte Mason Education

tanglewood ed

ambleside online

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put classical, we have benefited form WTM (basic structure), Charlotte Mason (enjoying my children and including, hymns, longer bible passage memory, nature, poetry, and picture studies), and Trivium Pursuit (not everything is good or helps our family honor God just because it is old). We evaluate different curriculums for each subject. I like non-consumable materials.

I guess I should have chosen classical, but I chose eclectic, mostly because our homeschool changes slightly every year. (By the time the kids graduate I should have a system down!) We used to follow TWTM pretty closely, but over the years we started dropping what we consider to be the small stuff. Now our homeschool most closely resembles what is described in LCC. We focus on math, Latin, and grammar. We still study other subjects, of course, but I don't stress out if we don't get to them every day.

From WTM, as I understand it -- the structure & organization of subjects; the longer (more than 6 weeks) focus on science topics; narration, copywork, dictation, grammar study; chronological history, repeated throughout the child's school years; the use of notebooks (to some extent), maps, timelines.

From CM, as I understand it -- the respect of children as people who are able to bring their God-given gifts to the learning process; putting a child in touch with God; I am, I can, I ought, I will; formation of good habits; the use of living books; nature walks, nature study, nature journals; learning languages at a young age; remembering the value of art & music

From LCC, as I understand it (waiting for the 2nd ed book! :001_smile:) -- amo, amat, amas. No, seriously, Drew has convinced me to learn Latin, and, if that venture succeeds, to teach my children.

From Trivium Pursuit -- that maybe young children (before 10) need time to do certain things besides a lot of seatwork; that maybe (not sure?) formal workbook math programs can wait; that parents can and should learn and learn and learn, if they want to homeschool their children well.

From Classical Christian Homeschooling -- rich reading lists; rigor, both for the student AND the parent (the need for commitment, if we are really going to do this thing called "classical").

So... mostly classical leanings, but eclectic gleanings. :001_smile:

I think a lot of us were afraid to vote classical because the definition of a "classical" education can get very picky, that is why the vote for eclectic is so high. I am not perfect by any means, and I don't meet many people's ideals or definitions, but I strive for classical, so I still voted for it.

I consider Latin, logic, and rhetoric to be core to what we do, but we are fairly relaxed about even these subjects....I mean, not relaxed in how well they learn the material, but relaxed in our approach.

I do use the WTM very loosely, but mainly I get information and encouragement and "how-to" on these boards.

I like the Carschooling... it feels that way sometimes for us!

We use WTM to guide our learning.

My High School DD's are in a H.S. Charter so it's a little more difficult to make the classical approach fit. But with my youngest we started WTM when she was in 1st grade so we will stick with it through high school and let me tell you, there is a real difference. She is able to connect what she learns with everyday life and interconnect it with different subjects much more easily than my older DD's.

I love that :)

The classical method just makes a lot of sense to me. I wish my own education had been more like this. I remember so little of history and literature. I went to public schools.

My education did not train me to be a life long learner. It was more of a means to an end. I have a lot of gaps to fill personally. I like learning along with my kids and doing my own self-education.

Kristine

I voted eclectic!

I love TWTM, but I don't follow it completely. I love dictation, copywork, and the chronological teaching of history, logic, rhetoric.....but I just can't get my boys to do Latin!!

My oldest daughter studied Latin from 3rd through 8th grades, before she switched to Spanish, but my boys...ugh..they'd rather do yard work than study Latin!

Sonlight is my most influencial homeschooling curriculum, however! I love the book selections...I love the Christian - missionary mindset, without the "we're better than the heathens who don't believe in God" mindset that I found so prevalent in other Christian curriculums...I love the fact that my children have learned to *love*, seriously *love*, to read by using this curriculum.

Classical and some traditional with a decided CM tweak to it.

Is that eclectic? I don't feel eclectic. LOL It's more Mish Mash than "eclectic". :D

My heart is with CM and am trying to incorporate more of it, so that's what I answered.

• 1 month later...

We have been slowly transitioning to CM because it works for us. My children love it. As for resources, I have read TWTM and use it a guide but the major resource has been A Charlotte Mason Education by Levison and The Charlotte Mason Series. Karen Andreola's Book is the next reading on my night stand along with For The Children's Sake.

Started with traditional as a new homeschooler, but have been changing over to a classical bent. I changed to TOG last year, and this year I'm having my kids start Latin. I would love to add in EG, but I figure one thing at a time. I don't want to take on too much too soon.

Sue

I use classical books the Charlotte Mason way. I use Amblesideonline and the CM series as my source. I have read the Well Trained Mind and Teaching the Trivium. Both very classical books and yet very different in their approach. I love them all because they have shaped my way of educating.

I checked off Charlotte Mason, but I do a combination of the two.

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I have always been a too Classical for be a pure CMer, and too CM-ish to call myself Classical. I follow a CM schedule pretty closely, but require Greek, hard science, and formal English and Composition from age 10.

I am not opposed to accountability questions for my rising 6th grader - she is SO needing more than narration. She is the type to try and get by with doing as little as she can. I am using the History of US guides by Oxford and am so excited about it! I think that brands me a CM heretic.

We don't care for historical fiction, and value plenty of daily free time so we streamline academics. I don't give a whit about Latin or reading the Classics in Latin. I pretty sure this excludes me out of the Classical camp! :D

I am both Classical and CM, but am neither exclusively. Oh, and I also am not afraid to whip out a unit study now and again where it fits! It works for us, so I guess that's all that matters. ;)

• 1 month later...

I am planning a classical education curriculum, using mainly classical materials. I haven’t heard of anybody else (currently) doing this. Maybe somebody is or has and has tips. :) I am following TWTM’s excellent structure, but am realizing that the books recommended in it aren’t quite what I want. The best textbooks (judged by personal reading, but so far admittedly not much by their use—based generally on all terms: rigor, structure, methodology, thoroughness, and design) that I find are from the period from the beginning of the 19th century to 1918 or 1919, with the frequency increasing through the duration. At about 1918, textbook quality drops precipitously. There are only a few recent books I have found to be of high-quality, some recommended in TWTM. I am also planning on using old-fashioned tools to start since they seem to foster better understanding than modern ones. So I plan to teach Inga (and myself, since I didn’t get to use these things) to use a slide rule before a scientific calculator, a compass and a straightedge before a graphing calculator or geometry computer program, an astrolabe before any electronic geography or astronomy tools, and so on. Does anybody else have similar plans?

I probably follow more of Ruth Beechick's philosophies than CM. The two are very similar, but I think Beechick has more of a unit study and unschoolish bent.

My main resources are:

A Biblical Home Education

You Can Teach Your Child Successfully

Ambleside Online

I guess you could say I use many of Amblesides book lists and curriculum suggestions, but in a more relaxed, Beechick way. We don't adhere to the very slow reading schedule of Amblelside or do as many subjects.

but have a classical influence. I use Tanglewood Curriculum's ideas (create-your-own-curriculum guides).

A la Charlotte Mason:

-living books

-narration

-copywork

-dictation

-nature studies

-nature walks

-spelling

-combination of sight words and phonics to teach reading

-gentle geography studies starting with own neighborhood and going to the rest of the world

Classical:

-History in chronological order

-Development of research skills and argument skills in later elementary and middle school levels

-Rigorous study material

and that is sometimes my problem. I know how to be pure CM but can't let go of much of what I think is better with classical. Can we be classical with one child and CM with another?:lol:

I wanted to be very CM but am having problems making it work because of who my older dd is. Does that make sense? She is going through a low self-esteem, everything must be perfect and I don't want to practice to make it perfect so therefore I must not be good at it and won't try stage!! (how's that for a long description:001_smile:) So for now, we are trying a modified CM approach with less books (to focus on them and go deeper) and a push for serious grammar and latin and daily focus on piano and math. I think for her less but serious will work better for now. I was thinking that in order for CM students to write well while still following the CM ideal method (narrations, copywork, dictation and some grammar at this age)of learning to write then they must immerse themselves in the beautiful language of the well-written books. It is through this constant exposure that they learn to "speak" that way and in turn can then write that way. (This is purely my way of looking at this) and because she is not willing to take on some of the reading for herself I felt she was falling behind in her writing skills. I think this new approach will work for her.

As for dd5 who reads everything she can get her hands on, maybe a more CM approach will work for her. I will have to wait and see. Right now we will focus on the basics, attitude and lots of quality reading.

Hope that wasn't too long-winded!!

the different debates about if you are "really classical" or not!!! I am Classical but living in a modern world so that adds a little to it. I think CM is classical and don't see her as an unschooler. I absolutely love Latin, history, progymnasmata, grammar, music, art, math.... It is such a full curriculum. I'm WTM with a bit more emphasis on Latin, Math and Science.

Can I say "pre-classical"? Classical is where I hope to end up, but mine are still young. Last year was pretty much just the basics, this year I'm planning on doing a lot more history & science with them, and we will do Latin in 3rd grade. I'm planning to introduce more literature this year, as well as art & music. I'm a huge WTM fan and a firm believer in the concept of the Trivium.

• 10 months later...

Thank you! I bought it, and like it a lot. The materials are closer to what I am interested in, but mostly still not what I want. The classical composition books sound good. I like the structure of the curriculum (similar to WTM, but a lot simpler, and with Latin required instead of optional).

I have found an online school with nearly the same curriculum, Great Books Academy, where, I think, parents can pick textbooks for their kids. I like that a lot, and Inga loves it. I don’t think my husband says anything specific about not liking it, but he seems to only consider it. He wants to have our daughter enrolled in some kind of organization.

Then my husband found this online school, Christian Liberty Academy and loved it because it’s ultra-conservative politically, also it’s pretty conservative religiously, but I am set against it because it has Creationist “science” (science with an agenda violates the principles of the scientific method and thus cannot be called science) and is very progressive pedagogically—looks generally dumbed down, has integrated New-New-Math, Social Studies, books full of cartoons, printing before cursive, creative writing instead of classical composition, no Latin before ninth grade, and the high-school (at least) literature selections are, although generally classics, well below grade level. I wonder what they’d do with my daughter who will probably reading those very books (the classic ones) in the lower elementary grades. :huh:

Then he found this Puritan curriculum, which he loved even more, and which seems to be somewhat more rigorous, but has problems similar to CLA’s: doesn’t have Social Studies, but has the same kind of math and “science,” has some kind of rhetoric but it doesn’t look classical and neither does the composition, has not a word about Latin, and seems pretty weak on literature.

CLA says you don’t have to be a Christian to enroll, so I guess that’s possible (I’m somewhat skeptical), but with things like “Directions for Defending the Faith” in the Puritan Curriculum, I don’t know how it could be completed if you’re not Christians, and we’re not.

I’m not sure what to do. With Great Books Academy, we can still study the Bible (you can’t understand most English literature without it) and Martin Luther (I think he’s one of my husband’s heroes). I still have to ask GBA though for more specifical information on what book substitutions are allowed.

I have no method but if I had to pick it would be electic. We use a little of this and that. I do buy curriculum but honestly I don't keep to it. We will wonder off with something interest led but then go back to it. The only thing I keep contant is the math/language. I like the classical and charlotte mason ideas. I like the carschooling and do that quite a bit when we travel. We are unschoolers when we do extended stays with family because bringing the books just never works out. Also I personally am not a big fan of lables. It seemed my life was a bit simpler before I started reading more and more about different approaches. I will use what approach that will make my children enjoy learning. Let that be just life, workbooks, textbooks, living books. As long as they are happily learning, I am happy.

We are very eclectic. I use a little of everything. I really don't have any main resources for teaching this method. I guess that is the beauty of being eclectic.

My method is I research it, buy it, try it, and then go on to the next. I always keep in mind that nothing is set in stone and I tend to change my mind a lot. Hey it keeps me and my kids on our toes. Also it is never boring here, there is always something new.

:iagree: Current favorites: Charlotte Mason Companion, TWTM, and Homeschooling the Teen Years

Edited by swimmermom3
Missed part of OP

We are very eclectic. I use a little of everything. I really don't have any main resources for teaching this method. I guess that is the beauty of being eclectic.

My method is I research it, buy it, try it, and then go on to the next. I always keep in mind that nothing is set in stone and I tend to change my mind a lot. Hey it keeps me and my kids on our toes. Also it is never boring here, there is always something new.

:iagree:

This was my first year homeschooling and I am glad to know that there is a term for the method of my madness!!! I breathe a sigh of relief to know that others have gone before me.....:tongue_smilie:

I chose eclectic because, as much as I love WTM (it's how I would have wanted to be taught), some elements just don't work well for my dd. So I research and experiment until I find something that does work and try to stick with it.... of course my dc are still young and things will probably change as they get older.:D