Menu

What would you do if....

someone entered you into a contest to receive a sizeable amount of money to be used for school supplies/curriculum/related items...and you won?!? And by sizeable, I mean $800 in store credit and $500 in cash. Would you use it all for yourself, split it with the person who entered your name, or just ask if there is anything the person needs ordered? What is the fair/appropriate thing to do here?

I don't know, did you enter your name as well? If they won and I didn't and I entered their name, I would not feel like they owed me. It might be nice if they offered to order me something, but I wouldn't be bent out of shape if they didn't.

That is a large amount and if I were running the contest the amount would have been split between entrant and the person who entered their name. That would make it a win/win for everyone. Otherwise sounds like like a set up for hurt feelings.

ETA: I would bet they'll get issued something like a 1099 (I think it's a different one for contest winnings) at the end of the year and need to claim it on their taxes. Whoever sponsored the contest will use that amount as part of their advertising money and write it off on their taxes I'm sure.

I don't think I am understanding this contest. Did you have the option of entering your own name and didn't?

I think the person who wins is the winner. He/She can do whatever they wish with the winnings.

That is, unless you had some agreement saying, "Hey, if either of us wins, let's split the winnings, that would double our chances."

Dawn

It was more of a need-based award, then an actual contest. I submitted her name, as they have been having financial difficulties. I am in a very similar financial situation, but did not feel it was right to submit my own name.

Does your friend know you are in a similar situation? Is there any possibility she thinks you're fine and your school books are set for the coming year?

If she doesn't, I'm not sure how you would tell her. If she does and isn't offering to share the windfall then I think that is terribly tacky. Did you tell her about the contest when you entered her? "Hey, if you win could you order my math books?"

I don't know. That just stinks.

How wonderful of you to enter her name. What a great friend you are! I wouldn't expect her to split it and I wouldn't feel bad or hold it against her if she doesn't split it. It is a gift to her and it shouldn't have any strings attached, whether spoken or unspoken. It may not even occur to her that you have needs too and I would most definitely not mention it now that she has this gift, it would be awkward. A true friendship is more important than any amount of money. Let it go, don't think another thing about it unless she offers you part of the credit!

I was the one who entered the other person...not the one getting all the money, unfortunately. I was just curious as to what everyone feels is appropriate. I know I would insist on splitting it down the middle, but that's just me...

oops I should have read further before replying. In this case I would just be happy they won. Did you put their name in expecting a portion of the prize if they won? I think I would just celebrate with them and feel good that you entered their name and gave them this chance.

If I understand correctly, this was not a contest but rather a needs based sharing of Rainbow Resource's July profits. Nominations were taken for homeschool families in financial need. Rainbow Resource selected your friend based on her family's financial situation, not yours. The award belongs to your friend and should be used as Rainbow Resource expects. To me this is similar to a donation for charity. I expect my donation to a charity to be used as designated.

ETA: I'm impressed that Rainbow Resource is helping struggling homeschooling families!

Ann

Edited by emzhengjiu

It was more of a need-based award, then an actual contest. I submitted her name, as they have been having financial difficulties. I am in a very similar financial situation, but did not feel it was right to submit my own name.

In a situation like this, it would not occur to me that the person who entered my name would be in need themselves. So, no, it probably would not occur to me.

How wonderful of you to enter her name. What a great friend you are! I wouldn't expect her to split it and I wouldn't feel bad or hold it against her if she doesn't split it. It is a gift to her and it shouldn't have any strings attached, whether spoken or unspoken. It may not even occur to her that you have needs too and I would most definitely not mention it now that she has this gift, it would be awkward. A true friendship is more important than any amount of money. Let it go, don't think another thing about it unless she offers you part of the credit!

:iagree: Unless she knew you entered her name and you 2 agreed to split it if one of you won....be happy for her :001_smile:

In a situation like this, it would not occur to me that the person who entered my name would be in need themselves. So, no, it probably would not occur to me.

:iagree:

I would take the person to lunch using part of the $500 to thank him/her but it wouldn't occur to me that the individual who entered my name expected a split of the prize IYKWIM.

Ok, sounds like everyone is on the same page as me. She did ask me if there was anything I needed, and while there absolutely is, I told her no, that was her money given to her to use for her kids, and thanked her for the offer. Thanks for the input!

In that case I think you should just let it go. You were doing her a favor. It is like buying scratch off tickets as a gift. You wouldn't expect the gift recipient to split his gift with you if he won would you? It is just luck of the draw.

Ok, sounds like everyone is on the same page as me. She did ask me if there was anything I needed, and while there absolutely is, I told her no, that was her money given to her to use for her kids, and thanked her for the offer. Thanks for the input!

:grouphug::grouphug:You are very kind and generous.:grouphug::grouphug:

I wonder why everyone jumped to the conclusion that the OP was expecting a cut of the prize money and encouraging her to let it go? No benefit of the doubt, huh?;)

You are an awesome friend to do that for her and it was super sweet of her to offer to help you in return. :001_smile:

I don't think I am understanding this contest. Did you have the option of entering your own name and didn't?

I think the person who wins is the winner. He/She can do whatever they wish with the winnings.

That is, unless you had some agreement saying, "Hey, if either of us wins, let's split the winnings, that would double our chances."

Dawn

If I won, I'd insist on splitting. If I entered a friend's name and they won, I'd be happy for them and accept a coffee as thanks.

Next time, submit your own name if you have a need.

:grouphug::grouphug:You are very kind and generous.:grouphug::grouphug:

I wonder why everyone jumped to the conclusion that the OP was expecting a cut of the prize money and encouraging her to let it go? No benefit of the doubt, huh?;)

Probably because she said she would insist on splitting it if it happened to her. It made it sound like she expected the same.

Probably because she said she would insist on splitting it if it happened to her. It made it sound like she expected the same.

Could be.:)

However, I would often insist on things that I wouldn't expect in return. Just for instance: we just hosted a family for 9 days in our guest house. If I were staying in someone's space, there are certain things I would insist on doing. But, I did not expect anything from them. We were offering our home purely because we wanted to share it.

I did not have a single expectation. They gave us a lovely box of chocolates and a card when they left. When I opened the card later, it had a generous cash gift and lovely words of thanks inside. Later, when I went out to strip the bed and wash towels in the guest house, I found that the entire place was just as clean or cleaner than it was when they arrived. The sheets were washed, the bathroom scrubbed, the towels washed-dried-folded and put away, etc.

What a joy! I loved hosting them because they were fantastic people and I enjoyed getting to know a family I'd never met but their surprise cleaning and gift were such a blessing to me!

So, even though I would have insisted on doing something similar, I would not have given it a second thought if they hadn't have done what they did.:)

I was the one who entered the other person...not the one getting all the money, unfortunately. I was just curious as to what everyone feels is appropriate. I know I would insist on splitting it down the middle, but that's just me...

You did a really kind thing for a friend. I wouldn't expect her to share. It would be nice, but you did it because you knew she needed help, not because you thought she would split it if she won, right?

If I understand correctly, this was not a contest but rather a needs based sharing of Rainbow Resource's July profits. Nominations were taken for homeschool families in financial need. Rainbow Resource selected your friend based on her family's financial situation, not yours. The award belongs to your friend and should be used as Rainbow Resource expects. To me this is similar to a donation for charity. I expect my donation to a charity to be used as designated.

ETA: I'm impressed that Rainbow Resource is helping struggling homeschooling families!

Ann

Exactly. You did a nice thing and I'd leave it alone. The whole point was that she needed it.

If I won, I'd want to split the prize and feel badly if my friend refused.

If my friend had won, there would be no question of her sharing because she wouldn't know I'd entered her.

Rosie

This wasn't an option. I would have preferred she not know who entered her, but I had to provide my name, as well as contact info for her Pastor, or an objective 3rd party to verify the need. They told her who it was who entered her.

As for me expecting her to share it, I never did. Neither of us had any idea the amount would be so high, but that doesn't change the fact that I never had any expectaions on splitting it. Just wanted to put that out there.

This wasn't an option. I would have preferred she not know who entered her, but I had to provide my name, as well as contact info for her Pastor, or an objective 3rd party to verify the need. They told her who it was who entered her.

I'd be grumpy about that. But then I am a Capricorn with privacy issues. :tongue_smilie:

Rosie