Menu

New (for you) curriculum you love?!

ScoutTN

We have started our new year with a 1st grader and a 4yo tagging along. Last year K was simple with just math and phonics/reading, so this year is very different for us and I am learning lots!

So far most of our new things are huge hits. I guess the novelty will wear off, but for now it is fun to have such enthusiatic learners!

Favorites inlcude:

AAS - she asks to do spelling! who knew?! :D

RSO life - easy and almost all hands-on

SOTW - they both love history! building/flooding the Nile this week

Evan-Moor beginning Geography - just a workbook, but she loves it.

Even-Moor How to Teach Art to Children - easy but substantive too.

okay, that's my list.

what are your new favorites? :bigear:

Lingua Mater. It's a classical writing program that's stretching my daughter's thinking a bit. The grammar is very basic, my daughter is way beyond it but it's done in such a way that it's still challenging her. Asking her to think off grammar horizontally instead of vertically kind of thing if that makes sense.

Winning with Writing, WRTR and AAS are new(ish) to us. I tried to be a little too gentle earlier in the year, just using Oak Meadow for English and it wasn't working. I really like our combination of WRTR and AAS, Ariel's reading has made huge progress in the month that we've been using it. I tried AAS several years ago and it didn't work then, but I've adapted it to fit us and it is SO much better. I am also happy with WWW because I feel like composition is finally getting done, and not just "draw a picture and copy this sentence about the story" per the OM assignments.

Trail Guide to Learning-Paths of Exploration - I am loving this program. Everything integrated...skills learned and honed through content instead of in isolation. Dd8 is having a great time with it.

Time Travelers History Studies - A lot of information in a fun package.

CLE Reading - I was expecting a simple reading comprehension program but this is soooooo much more. I'm really impressed with this one.

We have started our new year with a 1st grader and a 4yo tagging along. Last year K was simple with just math and phonics/reading, so this year is very different for us and I am learning lots!

So far most of our new things are huge hits. I guess the novelty will wear off, but for now it is fun to have such enthusiatic learners!

Favorites inlcude:

AAS - she asks to do spelling! who knew?! :D

RSO life - easy and almost all hands-on

SOTW - they both love history! building/flooding the Nile this week

Evan-Moor beginning Geography - just a workbook, but she loves it.

Even-Moor How to Teach Art to Children - easy but substantive too.

okay, that's my list.

what are your new favorites? :bigear:

Can you give me a detailed review of Beginning Geography? I am trying to debate between that and Evan Moor Daily Geography for my K'er and 1st grader to go along with MFW Exploring Countries and Cultures! Thanks

Winning with Writing, WRTR and AAS are new(ish) to us. I tried to be a little too gentle earlier in the year, just using Oak Meadow for English and it wasn't working. I really like our combination of WRTR and AAS, Ariel's reading has made huge progress in the month that we've been using it. I tried AAS several years ago and it didn't work then, but I've adapted it to fit us and it is SO much better. I am also happy with WWW because I feel like composition is finally getting done, and not just "draw a picture and copy this sentence about the story" per the OM assignments.

I would like to hear more about how you are combining and adapting WRTR and AAS, if you would care to share.

Lingua Mater. It's a classical writing program that's stretching my daughter's thinking a bit. The grammar is very basic, my daughter is way beyond it but it's done in such a way that it's still challenging her. Asking her to think off grammar horizontally instead of vertically kind of thing if that makes sense.

Link? Not that I need to look at another writing program.

Well last year I finally broke down and started Oak Meadow and Teaching Textbooks. They fit our family so well that we are using them for everyone this year. I needed some help planning wise and yet nothing too strict. Love them. I love that TT grades itself. I even have an account on my oldest so I can work on Math again. I wish I had TT when I was a young one.

Here you go.

I think I said something similar when Nine Choirs mentioned it in another thread way back when. :D It's a Catholic program based on the vintage Emma Serl writing programs.

Thank you. It looks interesting, but it would probably be too religious for my tastes. :)

We're new to HS, so it's all been pleasantly surprising for us. However I think HWT has stood out the most. My kids have really taken to it and improved over only a two week period. A cloud was lifted and they're inspired to fix their writing.

Thank you. It looks interesting, but it would probably be too religious for my tastes. :)

It is pretty religious. I'm Christian but a secular homeschooler and not Catholic and I generally stay far, far away from Christian materials. It's been a little awkward because it's very Catholic and so not quite applicable for l'il ol Anglican me but we've it as a way to learn a bit more about Catholics.

Memoria Press Full grade level packs!!!!!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!!!!!

Then there is Lit Lessons from the Lord of the Rings for my oldest guy. WONDERFUL!

(Most new stuff is for my 8th grader. The 5th grader is largely using materials I was familiar with already...)

Discovering Music! I've totally got a teacher-crush on Professor Carol. She's fantastic. :)

Also super excited for ds to start using The One Year Adventure Novel.

I'm also looking forward to starting on Windows to the World: an Introduction to Literary Analysis. I've read through it and think it'll be a great addition to our work this year.

I've been on sabbatical for the past couple of years, so everything is new to us this year. I would have to say that I am impressed with all of the items that I've chosen this year with the exception of Saxon Math. Yea, it's boring...but it does the trick.

MFW Adventures is amazing and I'm so glad that I finally made the decision on that one.

We are using quite a few of Evan-Moor products; History Pockets, Beginning Geography. Their products are great! I can't say enough about them and my son loves them.

First Language Lessons - What a wonderful, gentle way to improve a child's use of language. While my son is a beginning 3rd grader, he is autistic and has struggled in this area. The repetition and small lessons are great!

All About Spelling - Can I say enough? When I got this home and opened it I was overwhelmed by the ease of use and yet the depth of phonological awareness. Awesome product!

A couple weeks in, our hits are:

Kids favorites:

First Language Lessons 1/2

Song School Latin

God's Design for Life

I really like:

Spell to Write and Read

A Living History of Our World

Evan Moor literature pockets

We will see how the rest of the year goes!

Can you give me a detailed review of Beginning Geography? I am trying to debate between that and Evan Moor Daily Geography for my K'er and 1st grader to go along with MFW Exploring Countries and Cultures! Thanks

Four sections:

Map skills includes: What is a map? Positional words, cardinal directions, the compass, map symbols, map key, distance on a map, borders on a map, map grids

Landforms and Bodies of Water includes: Hills and mountians, islands and volcanoes, deserts and plains, canyons and valleys, oceans, lakes and rivers

Continents and oceans includes: the continents and oceans, the globe, deatils on all seven continents

Around the world with animals includes pictures of the continents with some animals on them. Fluff. Very short.

I've not seen the other EM geography book you mentioned. This one is basic.

We just started "A child's history of art: Architecture" by Hillyer today and it appears to be a big hit. I spent the weekend reading over it and made a notebook/journal from the teacher's manual. I really like how it is laid out and DS loves the picture/postcards that accompany it.

We just started "A child's history of art: Architecture" by Hillyer today and it appears to be a big hit. I spent the weekend reading over it and made a notebook/journal from the teacher's manual. I really like how it is laid out and DS loves the picture/postcards that accompany it.

I was looking at this as well. Are there scheduled activities/projects, or is it all reading and study?

Originally Posted by Suzanne viewpost.gif

I was looking at this as well. Are there scheduled activities/projects, or is it all reading and study?

I bought the set, which includes a teacher's manual, reading book and a spiral-bound "art card" collection of art works.

The teacher's manual has both reading schedule and activities, alternating about every other lesson.

Ex from architecture book:

Lesson 1: Read chapter 1, 5 questions related to reading, what art cards to look at.

Lesson 2: Project - design the inside of a pyramid

Lesson 3: Read chapter 2, 4 questions related to reading, look at one art card.

Lesson 4: Project - create a trilithon

Lesson 5: Look up Fertile Crescent on map, Read chapter 3, vocabulary, four questions related to reading, art card to look at.

Lesson 6: Project - step pyramid - math related

Lesson 7: Complete an outline from previous readings, read chapter 4, vocabulary, 5 questions related to reading, art card to look at.

Of all the teacher's manuals I have used... I think this manual is laid out in a wonderful, thoughtful way. It even says, "Looking ahead: The next project requires the following supplies..." (Just for unusual items, not basic art supplies.) It is spiral bound, which I love because I can lay them open flat. :D It is not insanely scripted like some teacher's manuals are. And there is a built-in review (outline or fill-in graph) every so often.

My student does not like art projects, so I will pick and choice a few for him to complete. At this point, it still feels like it will be a full curriculum w/o doing every project. That could change as we get into it.

I have not had a chance to look over the painting and sculpture lessons as much as the architecture set.

TruthQuest History with the new A Journey Through Learning binder builder. I love the freedom to choose the books I love most.

Teaching Textbooks and Life of Fred math for the fifth grader.

Plato Learning Earth and Space Science for the fifth grader. Both the TT and Plato are giving ds10 the biggest boost in confidence and making me so proud!

I guess that's all that's new this year. We love them all!

I bought the set, which includes a teacher's manual, reading book and a spiral-bound "art card" collection of art works.

The teacher's manual has both reading schedule and activities, alternating about every other lesson.

Ex from architecture book:

Lesson 1: Read chapter 1, 5 questions related to reading, what art cards to look at.

Lesson 2: Project - design the inside of a pyramid

Lesson 3: Read chapter 2, 4 questions related to reading, look at one art card.

Lesson 4: Project - create a trilithon

Lesson 5: Look up Fertile Crescent on map, Read chapter 3, vocabulary, four questions related to reading, art card to look at.

Lesson 6: Project - step pyramid - math related

Lesson 7: Complete an outline from previous readings, read chapter 4, vocabulary, 5 questions related to reading, art card to look at.

Of all the teacher's manuals I have used... I think this manual is laid out in a wonderful, thoughtful way. It even says, "Looking ahead: The next project requires the following supplies..." (Just for unusual items, not basic art supplies.) It is spiral bound, which I love because I can lay them open flat. :D It is not insanely scripted like some teacher's manuals are. And there is a built-in review (outline or fill-in graph) every so often.

My student does not like art projects, so I will pick and choice a few for him to complete. At this point, it still feels like it will be a full curriculum w/o doing every project. That could change as we get into it.

I have not had a chance to look over the painting and sculpture lessons as much as the architecture set.

Thanks so much, that is very helpful!

We just started Lit. Lessons from TLotR and I love it! It is helping me forge new paths in the world of discussion--something that I am not very good at. :001_smile:

:iagree:

Here are our new winners so far:

Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings (17yo & 12yo)

Beautiful Feet's Geography through Literature (12yo)

Winston Grammar (12yo)

Rainbow Science (12yo) -- he LOVES this!!!

Oak Meadow 2 (9yo)

Math-U-See Alpha (9yo) -- we've tried everything for math -- this works! :thumbup:

(We've used Teaching Textbooks for years so that doesn't count as a new discovery!)

I read about Understanding Writing in Teaching the Trivium.

thehomeschoolmagazine.com review

Students progress from writing good sentences to descriptive and narrative paragraphs to book summaries. Serving others through letter writing is a major component at every level; polished paragraphs are usually included in a weekly letter. Grammar skills are taught throughout the lower levels through discussion, example, dictation, and practice.

I am learning SO much by reading the TM. Wow!

Sometimes Exodus Books has used copies for $25.00. That's where I got mine. It's a little musty, but the price was right.

IEW SWI A has been wonderful. My son is also loving all of the critical thinking workbooks I purchased. Other than that, we didn't stray much from last years curriculum.

ETA: Oh wait! I also started using the Scaredy Cat Reading system for my oldest dd (she is Autistic). She seems to like it:)

Edited by hsbaby