Menu

Would you give an outdoor party and refuse to allow people in the house?

:iagree: I'm hearing high corporate, lavish, etc. and thinking "Port a potties?" Blech. No thanks.

In all honesty, attitudes like this sound kind of snobbish IMO.

I think it's safe to assume these aren't nasty, full-to-the-brim porta potties reminiscent of an outdoor music festival, LOL. I'm sure they'll be brought in right before the event, sparkling clean and empty. Portapotties really have come a long way in recent years!

Really, have you seen some of these? Nicer than my indoor bathroom! :tongue_smilie:

http://www.premier-exec.com/luxury-liner.php

I think it's safe to assume these aren't nasty, full-to-the-brim porta potties reminiscent of an outdoor music festival, LOL. I'm sure they'll be brought in right before the event, sparkling clean and empty. Portapotties really have come a long way in recent years!

Really, have you seen some of these? Nicer than my indoor bathroom! :tongue_smilie:

My parents rented one for a family reunion (they're on well and septic as well) and I was really surprised with how nice it was. They are nothing like out houses or port-a-potties of old.

The more I think about this, the more I'm surprised.

What ever happened to just plain being grateful to be invited, instead of picking things apart and finding something to be unhappy about?

The hosts are going to a lot of time and trouble to provide this party. To be unhappy about not having access to their private living space is just plain ungrateful, imo.

Boggles my mind.

:iagree:

the corporation seems to be giving the party. The homeowner appears to have agreed to let the corporation use the grounds of their home for the party. I think the home owners could have said, "no, that would be really inconvenient" and then the corporation would pay big bucks to rent some other venue.

It sounds to me like the home owner has a beautiful setting and is allowing the corporation to hold an event there. I wouldn't say they are really the social hosts.

If I were hosting a large outdoor party, I would definitely handle it this way. My primary reason would be one that has not been mentioned yet, pets. Our dogs would stay calm and quiet if shut up in the far bedroom but if they became aware of the presence of strangers in the house they would go bonkers and one of them would be nervous for days. Some cats are very determined about trying to get out of the house. You would think that no one would let the small cute dog that is in a crate bristling and growling out but you never can tell.

I've been to this kind of party and they have port-a-potties that are flush, with working sinks...very much like a normal bathroom.

Exactly like the ones in the link above.

The more I think about this, the more I'm surprised.

What ever happened to just plain being grateful to be invited, instead of picking things apart and finding something to be unhappy about?

The hosts are going to a lot of time and trouble to provide this party. To be unhappy about not having access to their private living space is just plain ungrateful, imo.

Boggles my mind.

:iagree:

Wow, ya learn something new every day! I was picturing "blue boxes."

In all honesty, I don't think I'd want a bunch of strangers traipsing through my house either.

You said it was a "high level corporate weekend". Not a private get together with friends. I find it actually very professional to leave one's private life OUT of the equation - a business relationship does not require the kind of understanding you gain from seeing their private lives on display. What you call sterile may well be called professional.

:iagree: I would find it totally acceptable for a corporate event. I can think of a host of reasons I would want my house off limits.

I wouldn't host a personal party in that manner, but I don't have a beach house either.

As an aside: Did anyone else think of Weekend at Bernie's while reading this? :lol::lol:

the corporation seems to be giving the party. The homeowner appears to have agreed to let the corporation use the grounds of their home for the party. I think the home owners could have said, "no, that would be really inconvenient" and then the corporation would pay big bucks to rent some other venue.

It sounds to me like the home owner has a beautiful setting and is allowing the corporation to hold an event there. I wouldn't say they are really the social hosts.

:iagree: I've attended business 'parties' like this numerous times and always respected the home of those generous to offer the venue. DOn't see it as rude at all.

It sounds extremely generous to me to allow the party to be held outside at their home! We went to an outdoor wedding a few years ago and when you went into the porta potties, it was like being in any indoor bathroom, with a sink. Nothing like what you picture when you think of a porta pottie.

We have been to company parties where the people hosting had very nice homes, nicer than most of the guests. We have seen people who were generally very nice people make nasty comments about the "lavish" home while they were being entertained, just because it was nicer than they could afford. I am guessing a little bit of that would go a long way and would make you be very selective about who you allowed into your "lavish" home. It is their home where they spend time together as a family, and no one wants someone to say bad things about their home whether it is too nice or not nice enough.

I wouldn't consider it rude at all. Espcially(!) since it sounds like the guest are being told ahead of time what to expect. If someone is squeamish about port-a-potties then just don't attend. There are some decent portables around that aren't the nasty old abandoned ones from a random park. They have running water and are large enough to manage a nice dress in. I would assume a portable at a party like this would be a nicer portable.

As far as the house in general....I think it is absolutely fine to contain the guests to the outside....again, especially since they have been forewarned.

A friend was telling me yesterday about an event she and her husband are going to. It's a high-level corporate weekend on the New England coast. On Saturday there's going to be an all-day party on the beach in front of the (lavish) vacation home of one of the hosts. Everything will take place outside -- there'll be catered food all day, port-a-potties, a clambake, sailing, etc. There's an "understanding" that guests aren't invited in the house.

the hosts are providing facilities for outdoor activities without requiring the house interior.

why do you need to go inside? I've been to a number of "high end" parties that were outside and the only people who went in were caterer's or close friends who were helping with the festivities.

Just because they are adults does NOT mean no interior damage can occur. especially in a very large group. I've caught people wandering around the "private" areas of my house during parties . . . .they were clearly had no reason to be there. if they aren't inside, that will not happen.

I don't think it rude, either.

(Related story coming up, but not quite exactly the same thing) -- Last year we had a house warming party here at our new-to-us house. It was held on July 31, which is very typically a nice, warm (sometimes too warm) summer day in this locale. I set up the food and the activities for the kids outside, and chairs on the lawn around here and there. My hope/goal was to have people remain out of doors as much as possible. I tried to make it so there was really no reason to be in the house (but I wasn't going to go so far as to say the house was off limits; it was a house warming party after all ;)). Just as our priest finished the bless-the-meal prayer outside, it started to rain. Hard. For half an hour. Next thing I know, there are 80 or so people -- with wet shoes!! -- in my rambler that, for the purposes of the party, had 1 small living room, 1 small dining area and a kitchen. Eek! It gave us in-the-know about my hopes a good laugh. I started throwing down towels by the doors and all in all it worked out fine.

One of our deacons (who arrived late) said that, as they were coming from the next town over and descending the hill into our valley, they saw a rain cloud that appeared to be sitting right over our house. He said he commented on that out loud. And he was right!

Edited by milovaný

In this instance, all of their guests' needs are being handled...I don't see a problem with it.

Now however, if it was like the wedding we attended last year in UT, I'd call foul. The wedding was outside in a small-ish, cement backyard. The hosts lived in a very lavish home with plenty of space to accommodate needs. However, we were all expected to stay in the backyard...there wasn't any water provided outside nor bathroom facilities, and the temps were near 100 degrees. The hosts soon had to just deal with everyone going inside (seeking water, a/c, and bathrooms) because they couldn't very well stop 50 people w/o being more rude than they already appeared to be. I remember thinking how ridiculous it was and I wanted to leave as soon as possible. It was truly sad because half of the group were family members who hadn't seen eachother in years. But the atmosphere made for a quick ceremony, quick eats, and out the door we go. :glare:

Theft can also an issue for a corporate event like this. I've known some homes to hire security guards. It makes sense. You don't know all of these people. They are not family, they are not your close friends. Someone might even bring a date who thinks checking out the jewlery in the master bedroom is a good idea.

We once had about 20 DVDs stollen during a party. Somebody went in the house (was an outdoor party), opended the plastic cases, took the contents, but slipped the cases neatly back in their places. We did know until...well, when tried to watch various movies and found case after case empty. Good thing I didn't have the gold bars in that room. ;)

Edited by LibraryLover

If, despite cheerfully disimpacting stuffed rectums with my own gloved hands, pulling foreign objects from the menses-filled vagin*s of mental patients, and being spat on for a living doesn't clear me of the charge, I am fine with being called a snob because I wouldn't shuffle my guests to a portable jon, no matter how nice.