Menu

I give up! CLE math just works!

Mama2Many4

I tried going back to Math Mammoth. I tried going back to MCP Math. He just prefers CLE. I was being sucked in by all the different programs I see mentioned. I almost shelled out another $100 for all of the Singapore math. Thank God I had some CLE left on the shelf from last year. I'm buying the new grade today. We're a CLE family here for math at least. :D

I really loved CLE, but both my children begged for MUS. I really wish they liked CLE as it was so easy to implement. They felt like they had way too much to do going from MUS to CLE. I don't understand why since even in MUS, I have them sometimes practice with 2 or 3 worksheets which they never complain about.

We went through the same thing. One day poor dd8 pulled one of the CLE LU off the shelf and said "Mom why can't we just do the math that works?" DUH!!!! We went back to it and it has been great since then. I have no plans of ever changing her.

Exactly my point! :D

I really loved CLE, but both my children begged for MUS. I really wish they liked CLE as it was so easy to implement. They felt like they had way too much to do going from MUS to CLE. I don't understand why since even in MUS, I have them sometimes practice with 2 or 3 worksheets which they never complain about.

I was tempted to try MUS too. I'm just staying away from the math threads unless I can help with something we're doing. :tongue_smilie:

We started out with MUS and then switched to CLE. My younger daughter just loves it, and math is not her best subject. I have thought of switching to TT when she hits 3rd grade but after the success she has had this past year with CLE, I am pretty sure we will stick with what works.

I have always liked the style and price of CLE math and would seriously consider it if it weren't for all the bible stuff in the samples. For those who use it how prevelent is religion in the 3rd and 5th/6th grade series? There seem to be a lot of "look up in the bible" assignments, we don't own a bible:glare: we are very secular. Is there another program like CLE but w/out the religious overtones?

ETA: I actually called the company, very nice people, and was told that the religious content is minimal, do you concur?

Edited by foxbridgeacademy

I have always liked the style and price of CLE math and would seriously consider it if it weren't for all the bible stuff in the samples. For those who use it how prevelent is religion in the 3rd and 5th/6th grade series? There seem to be a lot of "look up in the bible" assignments, we don't own a bible:glare: we are very secular. Is there another program like CLE but w/out the religious overtones?

The worst the math gets is word problems like "Sarah and Timothy started the day with 116 Bibles. They passed out Bibles all day and were left with 37. How many did they pass out?"

Dd9 loves CLE math. We found reading and LA to be unusable for us as secular homeschoolers.

ETA: Yes, the religious content in math is minimal. :)

Edited by Veritaserum

As long as you skip some of the extra (intro sheets) and "for fun" activities, I concur w/Veritaserum. Apparently, SpyCar found some religious content in LU 101. :D

The occasional word problem might be something like (shown for example only - not a real word problem found in CLE), "Missionary John moved to a town with 150 people. He helped bring the Word to half the people. How many were saved?"

:tongue_smilie: I wouldn't try any of the other subjects, though.

I tried going back to Math Mammoth. I tried going back to MCP Math. He just prefers CLE. I was being sucked in by all the different programs I see mentioned. I almost shelled out another $100 for all of the Singapore math. Thank God I had some CLE left on the shelf from last year. I'm buying the new grade today. We're a CLE family here for math at least. :D

I have come to the same place with my dd. Note to self: stick with what works and quit trying to fit your "round peg" into another person's "square hole". I placed my CLE order on Saturday.:001_smile:

ETA: I actually called the company, very nice people, and was told that the religious content is minimal, do you concur?

There is very little religious content in grade 2. There was slightly more in grade 1 but nothing that couldn't be easily ignored. These are the only levels I have been through so far, but yes, I agree.

I've never used CLE, but I did use MUS for quite a few years. My children voiced the same concern about the # of problems with A Beka and Saxon after doing 2-3 sheets of MUS. Weird... :001_huh:

CLE math can very easily be made secular. The only place I have come across anything religious is in the word problems, which I read to my daughter (Math 100). The rest of CLE (reading, LA, science etc) is very heavy on religion and I don't see how to make it secular.

I agree, the religion is very minimal in the math and honestly you can black out words if they honestly offend you. But really the curriculum isn't out to 'SAVE' your child. It can be used as a learning experience if need be by saying " That's what some people believe.We don't."

We're Catholic and if there was a Catholic version of CLE we would be using it. But I'm fine with their math, LA and Reading. I do agree that the religious content is a bit more in the Reading, I haven't come across to much quite yet in the LA though. We use the curriculum because it works, my daughters enjoy it ,and it keeps me sane.

I wished I had known about CLE in the beginning of our homeschooling journey. But then I don't think it would have been as good as it is now though. We're sticking with CLE for as long as it works for us.

Even my 13 yr old told me a few weeks ago, after have gone to school last year and had used Saxon math.

"Mom, I think I like Christian Light Math more." My younger three thrive off of CLE and so I finally feel like I'm done searching, at least for now.

We have used CLE math for 3 years. I have never seen it tell you to look something up in the Bible. As others have said, there may be some religious references in some word problems, but it's definitely not prevalent like it is in their other curriculum subjects. We love CLE. I, too, have been tempted to switch based on threads here, but math is currently his favorite and I don't want that to change!

I agree, the religion is very minimal in the math and honestly you can black out words if they honestly offend you. But really the curriculum isn't out to 'SAVE' your child. It can be used as a learning experience if need be by saying " That's what some people believe.We don't."

QUOTE]

I think I personally could deal with it(rarely offended grew up fundalmentalist Christian) , I never tell the kids what to believe, but DS is very left brained prove it type of person. I'm just not sure it wouldn't create too much work for me(constant discussion). We may try it just to see (especially if MM doesn't work out). I think it would work really well for DD (she's a which ever way the wind blows kinda kid). I appriciate all the feedback and hope OP doesn't mind that I hijacked her thread for awhile.

Here too. Love CLE, should never have left.

:hurray: Yeah for finding math that works & sticking with it (whatever it may be)!

:iagree: I bought MM after it when on sale but we had a bit of a struggle beginning. My dd loved Horizons and would do it mostly on her own with MM it has required a lot more of my teaching and explaining to her. We are still trying it and I am doing all I can to help her understand it but if after a few more months it does not get better. I will definetly go back to Horizons Math.

This is my first lesson learned ..just because everyone else loves it doesn't mean you will. I am fairly new to this site and homeschooling so live and learn. I still really love this site but as some one told me on anothe thread the grass is not always greener on the other side.

We've also joined the CLE Bandwagon. We are very secular homeschoolers and have used grades 2,3 and 5. I was concerned about the fifth level (the word problems have a theme of missionaries) but it's been more of a learning about other countries for my crew. CLE is a great program. Not too flashy, not too dull. The lessons are long but there is so much variety that we have no complaints. We were combining two programs before, but the length of CLE has not made that possible. DISCLAIMER: We've only used CLE for 6 weeks but all four users are really happy with their new math(and I am too!).

Thank you for posting this. I have been in such a muddle over math, mainly debating between MM and Mcruffy. Just today I had ds look at both and he said he wanted "the elephant one". At any rate, I'm liking the looks of CLE. My real stickler, though is older ds. I'm going to show him CLE and see what he thinks. I like the price too.:)

We are secular, so I hadn't really considered it before. So, again, thank you pp for asking about the religious content because before I just walked on past.

I never paid any attention to CLE math either for some reason, until this thread. At first glance it looked sort of dull, I guess. I have looked into and like what I see. So I ordered 100 and 200 . I still have to figure out placement for our eldest, but I showed it to her and she was thrilled at the idea of not having to copy problems out of R&S4.

We are still using MM (and often struggling with it). I told myself I wasn't going to look at any other curricula this year, but I still was not "happy" with R&S or MM. You all led me into temptation and I'm so happy you did! :lol:

I never paid any attention to CLE math either for some reason, until this thread. At first glance it looked sort of dull, I guess. I have looked into and like what I see. So I ordered 100 and 200 . I still have to figure out placement for our eldest, but I showed it to her and she was thrilled at the idea of not having to copy problems out of R&S4.

We are still using MM (and often struggling with it). I told myself I wasn't going to look at any other curricula this year, but I still was not "happy" with R&S or MM. You all led me into temptation and I'm so happy you did! :lol:

Yay! :D

Hey guys!

What is CLE and TT? My interest is peaked!

Christian Light Education

Teaching Textbooks

Here's the website for CLE http://www.clp.org/

It's a great, simple, easy to follow math program. I like the soft introduction and progression of skills. It doesn't teach some complicated lesson and then expect kids to immediately do a whole page of problems, then remember the lesson in three months when they see a similar problem again.

Lots of built in review.

FWIW- I don't think the lessons are long at all. My advanced dd only takes about 15 minutes and my dd who struggles significantly takes about 30 minutes. I don't think that's anything for math. I love the daily speed drills. My advanced dd times herself, but we don't time my dd who struggles.

My struggler needs the simple black and white layout so she doesn't get confused.

CLE may seem too back-to-basics for some, but as a teacher who has taught several "progressive math" programs, I can tell you that, at least at an elementary level, CLE does an amazing job of thoroughly teaching concepts so that the kids have a rock solid understanding once they are ready to use their skills abstractly. I'm tired of teaching programs who constantly want young kids to "think outside the box" when they don't even know what the box looks like yet. :) The connections my kids make to real life are amazing. CLE teaches measurement conversions and my kids are always exciting to use this information in the kitchen while we cook.

Anyhow, BIG winner in our VERY secular home!

I agree! We love CLE as well! My girls are doing SO much better with CLE than they were doing with another popular homeschool math program. ;) I love the spiral nature of it and how gentle it is. Sometimes I've questioned it when I've read threads about how other math programs/approaches are "right" and others like CLE are "wrong", but I know that CLE is working and working well for my children, so why mess with a good thing?

CLE Math led us to try CLE LA and CLE Reading as well. We are Christian, but I prefer not to use heavily Christian material myself. CLE Reading is definitely in need of some modifications for our purposes, but it is still worth using. CLE Math and LA are perfect for us.

What kind of learner would you say CLE is for? Trying to decide if it will be a good fit for my 8.5 yr old son.

Personally CLE is great for any type of learner. I have four girls that learn 4 different ways and have found that CLE works well for all four of them.

My oldest is a 'mastery' math kind of kid. It doesn't take her long to 'get it' so I made a deal with her if she gets one or less wrong on a page I will cut out some of the review sections. This has seemed to make her work harder and better. :D

My other three thrive off of CLE and they are my kids that will do all the math problems. I have no problem getting them to do all of the problems for each lesson. Though my youngest is doing 100 and she's only 4 so I cut her some slack and let her do as much as she wants. But she usually does them all!

As for giving CLE a try you can click samples of their LIght Units for Math for levels 100-800, print and give it a try before buying.