Menu

Gilmore Girls?

I used to watch it in Middle School (or maybe early high school), with a friend of mine. Watching 1 a week, I like it. But then I made the mistake of trying to have a marathon and now all of Lorilei's neurotic traits driving me up a wall! :001_smile:

I liked it up to the point Rory slept with Dean.

This.

Although, I must say, I *loved* Lorelai's response to that!

I own the first few seasons (up until Rory graduates from high school) and enjoy them. But the show really went downhill once Rory went to college, and I refuse to mention that final season. (shudder)

I used to love this show, but it's been years. Best I can narrow down, my oldest was a newborn/toddler. That's the point where I watched reruns during the day. Gilmore Girls, Judging Amy, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and a doctor show that took place in a clinic. It had the mom from Home Improvement, and...I think....Dana Delaney....hmmmm

Anyway, I digress......

The first time I saw this show I knew that somewhere in the world I have a soulmate, because I and Loreli Gilmore are the same person, lol, and only someone like me could have written her. I even work in a hotel. I do not spend as much money on clothes as she does, however. I do not care for the turn the show took after Rory went to college and I never watched the last season with the new writers. The writing was the point of the show for me.

Love it! Own all the seasons on DVD and pull them out whenever I have time to myself.

I want all of the seasons on DVD!! I started watching the reruns, and got hooked. I like it for a lot of reasons-the quirky characters, the humor, the fact that even though it is funny, it's not "stupid funny" like most shows-but, the main reason I love it is the mother/daughter relationship. I'm an only child, and my dad worked all of the time when I was little, and my mom had me young, so we are very close. She is basically my best friend. I am hoping to have just as close of a relationship with my dd.

Okay, probably not what the OP was looking for, but I had to get all sentimental!:001_smile:

I'm confused. I thought Dean was her boyfriend, not a married man. :001_huh:

They broke up, and he got married to another girl. They immediately had problems, and he and Rory slept together, which ended the marriage.

I love the show, too, although I like the earlier ones better. I'd love to live in Stars Hollow. :)

I own all the seasons and have hooked at least three other people (that I know of) on it :D. It's definitely not something I would share with a young daughter, but I could see it being good girl-bonding/discussion material with an older teen someday.

I'm a really fast talker myself so I love the snappy dialogue! Hardly anyone in real life can keep up my pace!

My dh and dad have really enjoyed the episodes I've shown them as well, and I caught dh's friends surreptitiously peeking around the corner to watch a few times when I was pregnant and crashing on the couch watching it.

Who else likes this show? I introduced my wife to it when we were dating. I liked it up to the point Rory slept with Dean.

My dd17 and I spent about a year+ watching the entire show. I loved it. I honestly don't have a problem with the Rory-sleeping-with-Dean thing because it ends up ruining Dean's marriage ... a pretty good message about what can happen when you behave irresponsibly.

I thought the dialogue was witty, and I liked that the show reinforced the idea that mothers and daughters can be close.

Tara

Edited by TaraTheLiberator
typo

That's been on my to watch list for a while, and my library has the dvd's. So reading about how everyone hated it at the end, where should I stop? Would you fans recommend sticking it out to the end just because, or stopping at some point? And if I stop, where do I stop?

Jess is hotter! My dd prefers Logan. :D

Tara

Ugh, I hated Jess! Hated him. When DH started watching Heroes, I was afraid he would ruin the show for me, but I actually loved the actor on Heroes. I like Logan too :tongue_smilie:

I didn't mind the Rory/Dean thing either, because Rory also realized what a horrible thing she'd done and what a mistake it was, and yes, I also think it showed the outcome of irresponsible behavior.

I missed the last few seasons after DD8 was born. She's a September baby, so I missed so much fall TV that year. Then I couldn't get caught up, and thought I'd somehow manage to catch up later...and never did. You guys have made me want to get the DVDs from the library again though--it would be the perfect diversion for while I'm on the treadmill, and each episode is just about the right length :D Off to the library website :auto:

ETA: Hooray, they had the first season! I'm so excited, it's been so long since I've watched the show!

Edited by melissel

LOVE Gilmore Girls!! I have Seasons 1-6 on DVD and have watched each of them many times. Season 7 felt like someone sucked the life out of it. I don't think I've seen a show so well-written since.

I hated the Rory/Dean affair, plus Dean from about Season 2 on made me want to claw my eyes out every time I saw him...I can't stand jealous, co-dependent high school boys. I also couldn't stand when the Luke/Lorelei relationship imploded. But I love the townspeople of Stars Hollow and I love the pop culture/literature/history references...and find that I understand more of them the more I homeschool. :)

Well, for one thing, Lorelei sang "I Will Always Love You".

I know, that was painful to watch.

Edited by Rosy