Menu

Do you teach cursive?

My mom's school district has stopped teaching cursive because they have deemed it a waste of time since everyone types now. I definitely plan to teach cursive to my kids. I use it all the time when I write (and I still do write longhand a lot). I'm just interested to see your views on this!

I tried to teach my oldest cursive. He would do it in the workbook but kept reverting to printing on his other assignments. At least he can read most cursive except for my grandmother's seriously tight handwriting. Even I have to work to read that, sometimes. lol

I haven't started with the younger one, yet.

Yes, my dd7 just finished learning cursive with HWT. This coming year she will be doing cursive copywork and writing in her journal in cursive. The goal is for her to transition to doing all schoolwork in cursive the following year. I think it's a shame - and perhaps a little short-sighted - that so many schools have stopped teaching it.

I think it's a shame - and perhaps a little short-sighted - that so many schools have stopped teaching it.

:iagree: I teach it when they start asking - both of mine were mid-first-grade when they started. Now 8yo writes to her best friend (who moved away) in cursive, which friend's mom loves, because it forces friend to learn to read cursive, which she isn't getting in outschool. Both of my dc have noticed how impressed people are when they use cursive, so that's a nice reinforcement for them. I don't require it for most of their schoolwork so far, because 6yo is still learning and 8yo does about half and half by her own choice.

Guest erinj

We started cursive at the beginning of the year with HWT Cursive grade 3 book with my 7yr old. She progressed through it well. Now this summer I have her writing final drafts of any papers in cursive and she writes letters to family in cursive. She will start next school year writing completely in cursive. I think she has a better grasp on it than I did maybe because I introduced it a year earlier than I learned in the PS growing up. I recently read something from Memoria Press mail newsletter on "Hands on Learning"(penmanship) and they said they tried for years to figure out the right time to introduce cursive in there Classical School and they finally settled in on before 3rd grade cause they said something about all the other things that are introduced in 3rd grade causing the child to feel bogged down and overwhelmed with to many new concepts and they have already created the habit of writing print exclusivley. They find that teach cursive in 1st or 2nd is better. I think they are right.

I think cursive helps develop the mind for higher order thinking later on in there studies. Penmanship is also a form of artisit expression that children can be proud of. Can those children look at that typed assignment and say wow look at the beautifully typed paper I did such a good job or that or man look at that beautifully handwritten cursive paper I produced with my own two hands. I did such a wonderful job.

I am not being judgemental to those that dont teach cursive I just want to point some of the reasons I like teaching cursive.

Cursive First in K :001_smile:

:iagree:I can't imagine not teaching cursive.

For one thing, some kids do better with cursive than with printing.

For another thing, cursive tends to be faster for most people. Until typing is allowed for the writing portion of the SAT, I'd have to guess that cursive is the way to go.

Do colleges allow typewritten exams these days? Are bluebooks a thing of the past?

My guess is that the cursive is getting squeezed out for lack of time in PS, due to other agendas (test prep, etc.).

Edited by wapiti

Yes. We started in second grade and it actually helped improve their handwriting all around. I think fine motor skills are important for brain development; and it certainly can't hurt to have good penmanship. We don't type thank you notes or cards. Anything we want to have a special, personal touch is done in cursive.

For another thing, cursive tends to be faster for most people. Until typing is allowed for the writing portion of the SAT, I'd have to guess that cursive is the way to go.

I print faster than I write cursive. I had no problem writing in print on various tests (AP, etc.) and scoring well. The only test I was ever required to use cursive on was the GRE, where there was a paragraph required at the beginning that said I wouldn't cheat. They said it HAD to be in cursive. I spent a couple minutes trying to remember how to make a capital 'I'. :lol:

I've since learned cursive italic, and I can do it faster than traditional cursive. I think my brain gets hung up on how many loops and such to do in cursive. My school didn't require cursive past about 7th or 8th grade. As soon as my teachers let me use print, I switched! In fact, I even had an all caps phase in 8th grade. :tongue_smilie:

Also my cursive is HORRID... Seriously, it looks like a 2nd grader's writing. My italic cursive is much nicer. I usually print thank you notes and such, but now I feel like I could probably write them in italic cursive. I do my Bible class questions in italic cursive now, and I write my son's narrations in italic cursive, so I'm getting lots of practice.

I will be teaching my son italic cursive. I let him chose between that and a more traditional cursive. He chose the italic cursive (and I think it will fit him well - his handwriting is very similar to mine and my dad's and my brother's... we all have this bad handwriting gene that makes our traditional cursive completely illegible).

I teach cursive first. They pick up printing easily, without much more instruction. I also teach typing early.

Cursive cures many ills...reversals, spacing, and the "where do I start this letter" problem. Once mine learned cursive, printing was TRULY easy-peasy.

It is completely possible (and important!!!) for kids to learn all 3 forms of writing. I think the ps is grasping for an excuse..."sour grapes" to cursive. jmNSHo:auto:

ETA: Kids learn best what they learn first. That's why most American adults think cursive is harder...b/c we learned to print first and remember learning cursive as a hard thing....b/c re-teaching muscle memory IS hard work. Cursive is easier/faster when it's learned first.

Edited by 3blessingmom

Of course. Why would I not teach everything that could possibly help my dc be more literate? Millions of English-speaking people in the world still write in cursive, which has been how we write things by hand for hundreds of years. Why wouldn't I want my dc to be able to do likewise?

I'm glad to hear that I am not alone here. I thought it was insane that they had stopped teaching cursive. I have had lots of penpals from Europe and they all have such beautiful handwriting. I feel like Americans have never really had that as a standard. I am intrigued by people who teach cursive first. Definitely food for thought!!!!

I wish I would have taught cursive first, but homeschooling and teaching my child penmanship wasn't even on my radar when DS started printing on his own.

He does now know how to write in cursive, though we are still working on improving it.

I wanted to add:

I attended a program on handwriting issues recently and the occupational therapist made the point that we, as parents/homeschoolers, should write in cursive as much as possible so our children become very fluent in reading cursive. She said that children often learn how to write in cursive but that doesn't always translate into being able to read it well. Since then, I have made a point of writing out our lessons in 'proper' cursive. (Like many adults, I typically write in a mix. :tongue_smilie:)

Guest Dulcimeramy

I saw in the news this week that my state of Indiana will no longer require the teaching of cursive in schools.

Here's the link: Cursive is Out, Keyboarding is In

:thumbdown:

I am not dropping cursive for my boys. I think this is ridiculous. A person can write in cursive AND type on a keyboard, as our generation proves daily.

Guest Dulcimeramy

For Pete's sake. I went to find another local link about cursive in Indiana schools.

At this site, the article quotes somebody saying that 47 states are dropping cursive!

From the link:

"A group of young science summer campers at Orchard School may very well be among the first generation of Indiana schoolchildren not to be taught cursive writing. That's because the Indiana Department of Education is no longer requiring it beginning this fall. "We are among 47 other states that are doing this as well," said Lauren Auld, Indiana Department of Education.

Teachers say that will allow more time for more important studies like math and science.

"They are not talking about instilling the teaching of writing and lots of workshops teaching writing, but just not so concerned about handwriting," said Susan Adamson, Partnership for Young Writers.

Students will instead be expected to become more proficient in keyboarding. That certainly makes some sense in the modern world where computers are erasing cursive, but children will still have to master a signature. The state says it will be up to individual districts so parents will get to weigh in."

I saw in the news this week that my state of Indiana will no longer require the teaching of cursive in schools.

Here's the link: Cursive is Out, Keyboarding is In

:thumbdown:

I am not dropping cursive for my boys. I think this is ridiculous. A person can write in cursive AND type on a keyboard, as our generation proves daily.

Scarier than this article are the responses that people left. It seems like most people think this is a great idea!

Scarier than this article are the responses that people left. It seems like most people think this is a great idea!

Good grief! People can be so short-sighted. Cursive takes very little time to teach, and if nothing else, it's important to be able to read it. Historical documents were written in cursive -- even printed books sometimes have snippets of cursive in them.

Yes, I've taught cursive starting in the first grade. Both my dds do a few minutes of cursive practice each day. My eldest prefers to do her work in cursive. My younger will start doing all her work in cursive next year.

We're starting cursive a little late as it's taken the boys a while to come up to par with their current handwriting (my standards), but if I ever have another child, I'll probably do the Cursive First program. As has already been brought up, it definitely helps avoid many issues that we've encountered learning printing first (letter reversals and such).

There are many reasons I want them to learn cursive (including the increased speed), but for me, personally, it's an art form and I feel blessed that my children want to learn it, as well. I read somewhere that a beautifully crafted, handwritten thank you note or letter is the ultimate form of respect to the person who will receive it. That's stuck with me and I do believe it to be true.

I taught cursive to all my kids using Getty-Dubay Italic series. They did all the way up to calligraphy. I had to go over looped cursive with them so that they could read greeting cards, letters from Grandma and old documents. My kids using a mixture of printing and cursive for not taking and reports.

Even though we do lots of our work on the computer, there is something about longhand that touches my emotional center. Whenever I have had to write about anything deeply personal, I needed to do longhand. The computer just doesn't cut it.

Yes, I teach cursive. Rebecca started about halfway through K. Sylvia will probably not start until third grade. I want them to at least know how to write and read cursive. I'm debating whether to require schoolwork be done in cursive or not though. I have terrible handwriting and don't use cursive myself.

Do colleges allow typewritten exams these days? Are bluebooks a thing of the past?

QUOTE]

Have not read the other responses, but my dh is in law school and almost everyone types their exams on their laptops. There is even special testing software they have to download. Students have the option of using a bluebook, but they have to sit in a special classroom and only a very few do (they tend to be older,middle-aged students). Law exams take 3-4 hours each, so I think your hand would get a bit tired after awhile.

Have not read the other responses, but my dh is in law school and almost everyone types their exams on their laptops. There is even special testing software they have to download. Students have the option of using a bluebook, but they have to sit in a special classroom and only a very few do (they tend to be older,middle-aged students). Law exams take 3-4 hours each, so I think your hand would get a bit tired after awhile.

I graduated from law school 10 years ago and we did the blue books. I think I filled about 5 per exam. Wouldn't it be really easy to cheat if you let kids use their computers for an exam?

We just started Cursive First, and I'm using it in conjunction with AAS. We're on Step 4 of Level 1, and my daughter is learning each letter family (the similar motions one uses to write each type - clockface, attic loop, etc.) over two days or so. Because both programs are based on O-G/Spaulding, they were super easy to combine. My daughter does her lessons on the sidewalk out front, and she flags down the neighbors as they walk their dogs to show them her work. I love that little nerd! ;)

I also write everything to her/for her in cursive now; she can read it wihout any problem. I do have very traditional teacher handwriting, though...

We alo bought the Pelikan Jr. fountain pens, and she has a blast using them.

Edited by Mrs_JWM

We alo bought the Pelikan Jr. fountain pens, and she has a blast using them.

I have a dumb question about these pens that I can't quite figure out from the description. The pens in the different colored cases - is the ink the same color as the case? (so if I order the green pen the ink will be green too?) I'm thinking of ordering one lefty (for my lefties to share) and one righty, and I want the ink to be blue for both but I think it makes sense to have different color cases unless there's some obvious way to tell the difference. thoughts?

Learning cursive as a child does not prevent one from also learning to type. It doesn't have to be either/or, and it shouldn't be. I suppose that when my dc are ready for college that they will use the most appropriate form of writing for the given situation...something other students will not always be able to do if they only know print and typing.

Yes, my dd7 just finished learning cursive with HWT. This coming year she will be doing cursive copywork and writing in her journal in cursive. The goal is for her to transition to doing all schoolwork in cursive the following year. I think it's a shame - and perhaps a little short-sighted - that so many schools have stopped teaching it.

:iagree:It is very short sighted IMHO. I think cursive helps little brains to think and focus:D

Learning cursive as a child does not prevent one from also learning to type. It doesn't have to be either/or, and it shouldn't be. I suppose that when my dc are ready for college that they will use the most appropriate form of writing for the given situation...something other students will not always be able to do if they only know print and typing.

:iagree: They are not mutually exclusive. I think it is outrageous that schools are dropping cursive:glare:

I think the notion that there was a time when everyone had beautiful handwriting is a myth. We recently visited a museum where they had lots of original handwritten documents from the early 1900's. There were a few examples of beautiful writing but the majority were terrible, very difficult to read. The museum also had typed "translations" to accompany the letters and even they had to leave some blanks where they couldn't read what was written!

Pegasus

I have a dumb question about these pens that I can't quite figure out from the description. The pens in the different colored cases - is the ink the same color as the case? (so if I order the green pen the ink will be green too?) I'm thinking of ordering one lefty (for my lefties to share) and one righty, and I want the ink to be blue for both but I think it makes sense to have different color cases unless there's some obvious way to tell the difference. thoughts?

They come with one royal blue cartridge in the long size - called "giant" by Pelikan - surprise your kids with the funny designs printed on the cartridge stickers - and then the small "standard" cartridge. You can have one standard cartridge in use and store an extra in the barrel of the pen. We ordered a box of standard purple refill cartridges because that's what my daughter wanted. It turned out the blue was sort of purple-y, too, but def. different from violet.

About sizes:

http://www.pelikan.com/pulse/Pulsar/en_US_INTL.CMS.displayCMS.77985./printed-ink-cartridges

About colors:

http://www.pendemonium.com/ink_pelikan.htm

Also, each pen comes with adhasive label stickers that you put inside around the barrel - the barrel then closes over it so the label doesn't get grotty. It's perfect for a classroom or multiple-children situation. They are great little pens. Just for fun, we also ordered the Pilot disposable pens in the colorful multipack:

http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Disposable-Fountain-Assorted-90029/dp/B00092PRCA

I taught cursive to all my kids using Getty-Dubay Italic series. They did all the way up to calligraphy. I had to go over looped cursive with them so that they could read greeting cards, letters from Grandma and old documents. My kids using a mixture of printing and cursive for not taking and reports.

I got people telling me Getty-Dubay is italic and that even cursive italic is not real cursive, merely "joined-up" writing. I am thinking here, how does cursive italic compare to traditional cursive for letter reversal and such?

In the UK they are using joined up writing so print letters all have a little tail at the end. The idea is that this will make transition to full joined cursive easier.

I have a week to go before school starts and I'm still sitting on the fence...

Well, I didn't really care what other people said about it. Almost nobody writes perfect script. Most people adapt what they've learned and make it their own. My adapted handwriting looks very much like Italic. As far as why I chose it ... I just liked the results. A friend's children used it and their handwriting it beautiful - even her son who could barely form letters at age 5. Yes, my children needed to learn to read looped cursive, but most 3rd grade workbooks seem to help with that.

As far as letter reversals go, I suppose it would depend on the source of the problem. The "b" and the "d" do look different enough and they start differently when you write them that the only way I would think it could continue to be a problem is with copywork where they are reading the wrong letter. I don't think letter reversals are a handwriting problem but a visual processing issue.

My 7yo is up to L in New American Cursive, and my 6yo will be starting it when our new year starts up at the beginning of August. Hopefully, once my eldest is done learning all the letters, I will be able to start having her do copywork as well. I hope that by the end of the next school year, she will be doing at least part of her schoolwork in cursive.

We are cursively oriented! I tried DD on cursive this year but then decided we needed to wait a while longer. We'll try again in the Fall. Wr are teaching all three: printing, cursive, and typing. Literacy - its a good thing.

Yup. Before they learn to print. Only cursive. I never taught them any other way. Dd5 is learning her letters and sounds now.

My Dd is a teacher's aide and because her grades are so high, she's asked all the time to 'see her notes' when students have been absent. She's found that most students can't read her notes because they're in cursive!

Just get a copybook and have them practice the lines and loops. I don't do it that way now, though. Now i use old dot matrix paper and highlight the letter, she copies and and makes a row.

Edited by justamouse

Sorry I just noticed these posts. Law school exams were exactly what I was thinking of. My hand always felt like it was about to fall off after one. And I had terrible handwriting, which probably didn't help my grades (or at least that's my excuse LOL). I graduated about 15 yrs ago.

I graduated from law school 10 years ago and we did the blue books. I think I filled about 5 per exam. Wouldn't it be really easy to cheat if you let kids use their computers for an exam?

That's what I would think. It would be so easy to flip to your outline for a quick second to double check something, or, copy an answer to questions if you managed to prepare anything ahead of time (LOL I'm envisioning people copying and pasting chunks from outlines). Maybe the software somehow blocks the ability to leave the program? It's hard to imagine.

Not to mention the ability to edit - the people writing in bluebooks must be at a huge disadvantage to the typers.

Well, I didn't really care what other people said about it. Almost nobody writes perfect script. Most people adapt what they've learned and make it their own. My adapted handwriting looks very much like Italic. As far as why I chose it ... I just liked the results. A friend's children used it and their handwriting it beautiful - even her son who could barely form letters at age 5. Yes, my children needed to learn to read looped cursive, but most 3rd grade workbooks seem to help with that.

As far as letter reversals go, I suppose it would depend on the source of the problem. The "b" and the "d" do look different enough and they start differently when you write them that the only way I would think it could continue to be a problem is with copywork where they are reading the wrong letter. I don't think letter reversals are a handwriting problem but a visual processing issue.

Thank you for your input. It sure makes me feel better! :iagree:

My daughter wanted to learn cursive, so she is currently working through a German cursive book (Vereinfachte Ausgangsschrift, which is taught in the local German school and in many schools in Germany today). I had originally planned to have her learn with Getty-Dubay, but her preference intervened.

I expect my son will also learn cursive without complaint, since he likes to do whatever his sister is doing. I probably wouldn't absolutely require it if I got a lot of resistance, as I'm not as convinced of the benefits of cursive as many are.

She used a Pelikano Junior all year with printing, and continues to use it for cursive.

Oh, and I usually print, but spent the year learning German cursive myself. Surprisingly, I find that I prefer to use cursive when writing on the iPad, although I continue to print on paper.

I never liked cursive in school and avoided using it when it was not required. I have done timed tests comparing my speed at printing with regular cursive users' speed at cursive, and have not found a significant difference.