Menu

Spin off from anj's book thread...What movies do you wish you had not seen?

Silence of the Lambs still is the most horrible thing I have ever seen!! (I didn't know what I was going to when I went). I really HATE movies (or shows) about serial killers. Why we find that entertainment, I will never understand!!

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2001: A Space Odyssey- I was bored to tears... and we had to watch it in school when I was in 6th grade

The Exorcist- The movie just disturbed me

The Grudge-This is the one movie that kept me up late at night

The Blair Witch Project-When I first saw this I was freaked out and then I watched it again and laughed at myself because I realized it was utterly ridiculous.

-Poltergeist

-Pet Cemetery

-Last weekend I saw the "romantic comedy" P.S. I love You. I have never cried the whole movie until I saw this one. I could have done without that!

-When I was a kid, I saw some movie about piranhas. I was scared to let my feet hang off the bed after that killer fish movie!:lol:

-I Know What You Did Last Summer

-Titanic.....loved it, but found it so depressing.

-Cold Mountain......very disturbing and just not my kind of movie.

-Derailed

A lot of the movies that have been mentioned, I actually thought were pretty good or even enjoyed a little...maybe I am as weird as everyone says I am :) I've never seen Sophie's Choice, though. I probably never will, after hearing all these comments. I think it would be too much, even for me.

The Omen has stuck with me, though. That was a truly frightening movie to me. Se7en was another of those that was disturbing. I still liked both movies though, and have watched them again.

Saving Private Ryan had quite an effect on me also. All I could do was watch in horror for the first 30 minutes of the movie. The most disturbing thing to me was thinking, this really happened. All of this death, destruction truly happened. I was bothered for a long time by that movie.

For the "ick" factor, 28 Days Later is the winner, hands down. I'm not generally bothered by the blood/guts/gore factor of movies, but this was even too much for me. I ended up reading a book while the others watched it.

Most horror movies just seem foolish to me. Not scary in any sense, just kind of silly and unrealistic, and don't seem to stick with me the way they do a lot of people.

Sophie's Choice

I watched it when I was in college and it got me terribly upset, even now I get a sick feeling thinking about it.

Okay, I'm convinced. I will never see that movie.

It's long been on my list of "to see" movies because I have always heard that Meryl Streep is amazing in it. But after reading that so many of you regret seeing it, I think I'll skip it.

Kind of like the bus scene on the last episode of M*A*S*H, right?

It's long been on my list of "to see" movies because I have always heard that Meryl Streep is amazing in it. But after reading that so many of you regret seeing it, I think I'll skip it.

I was quite young when I watched the last MASH and I remember even being bothered back then. It's even more sobering when you have little babies of your own.

Silence of the Lambs still is the most horrible thing I have ever seen!! (I didn't know what I was going to when I went). I really HATE movies (or shows) about serial killers. Why we find that entertainment, I will never understand!!

:iagree: I still can't believe..I paid to endure this movie. Uck...

Silence of the Lambs stayed with me for a while. We watched it with my in-laws and some friends. Afterward we all discovered that every single one of us had wanted to turn the movie off, but we all thought the others wanted to watch and didn't want to be rude.

It certainly isn't the worst movie I've ever seen. Se7en has that distinction. Dh and I did turn that one off--somewhere around the 4th or 5th sin, which was waaaaay to far into it for us. I've heard the details of the rest of the movie, and I'm glad I didn't watch further. That movie really stuck with me.

I wish we would have walked out of Pulp Fiction as well. After Se7en and Pulp Fiction, we are now very careful about listening to my brother's movie recommendations.:tongue_smilie:

------------

Oh, and I've never seen (nor will I ever) Sophie's Choice. I can't even bear to think about the movie from what I already know of it.

But I think the one that stands out the most is the Charles Bronson movies my parents would watch around all of us. I was probably a preteen or young teen at the time. They were on HBO and very graphic detailing of rather frightening subjects.

I still have to wonder, what were my parent's thinking? I could watch that but I couldn't watch that one Brook Shields island movie?

Honestly, I won't watch such things at all now, let alone with my children. I get too emotionally drained by such movies/TV shows and I have to be emotionally there for my family in real life. I can't have a make-believe world drag me through the mud regularly.

It certainly isn't the worst movie I've ever seen. Se7en has that distinction.

Hmmm...I'd have to say that Blue Velvet is probably the worst movie I've ever seen. Total waste of time.

Oh no, wait! Maybe it's everything in Moulin Rouge except the "Lady Marmalade" scene.

Cape Fear for me...Robert DeNiro was the most disturbing character ever! I also saw portions of Apocalypto on a flight to London. Just because it's fairly accurate doesn't make it any less distrubing!

I also remember as a kid watching a made-for-TV movie by the rock band KISS. They played superheroes trying to solve some kind of mystery at an amusement park. Very campy but I remember having nightmares after watching that one. What a wimp!:scared:

The Passion of the Christ. I wanted to like this movie, I really did. The flogging and crucifixion was just too graphic. The worst part was that right in the middle of the flogging scene, there was a problem with the projector, the movie stopped and the lights went up. I was so relieved, and then it started right back up in the middle of it and it seemed to go on FOREVER. I almost walked out and as it was I had my eyes closed through half of the movie and the crunchy, squishy sounds were bad enough. I know it was supposed to be realistic and make you 'feel the pain' that Jesus went through, but I thought it was overdone. No one could have survived THAT kind of flogging. If he could have even walked on his own power afterwards (much less carry a huge wooden beam on his back with no skin left) it couldn't have even been a fraction of what they showed. It was over the top for shock value IMO. Our church usually has a special showing of this during Lent and I'm always like 'are you kidding?' Never again.

I saw this when I was a child - probably eight or nine years old. I have no idea what the name of the move is, though.

A man - I think he's a scientist or researcher, but not sure - spent time in India (? I think it was India - the movie picks up after he's returned to the states and to his family). One day, there is a package for his daughter in the mail. He sees the return markings and gets very tense, but lets the girl have the package, anyway. It's a doll.

It's a psychotic, killer doll that talks to the girl while she's alone, grows to life-size at night, and systematically alienates the girl from her family while killing off each and every person in the household.

Evidently, the father really torqued off someone on his travels.

I hate that movie, and I have no idea what it's called. It stuck with me for years. I even had a doll that was really large with eyes that open and shut and could walk if you held its hands - I put it on the back steps at night for a long, long time. I think my mother finally just got rid of it.

Never saw it but is it Chucky?

Cujo. we had it on tape and so my sis and I watched it. I didn't sleep for months.

The Shining.

Sitr of Echoes. This movie really spooked me. we had just bought a house and then dh moved out west and I was all alone in the house and that darn movie kept me awake until I moved out, lol.

The Exorcist.

I used to love horror flicks but now I can't watch them.

Little Children w/Kate Winslet - ugh!

Rob Roy (disturbing rape scene - I'd love to remove that from my memory)

I have never seen, nor do I plan to see any of the movies concerning the Holocaust. We have read books on it, and cover it thoroughly. My stepfather is part of the Jewish War Veterans, and a friend of his had his whole family wiped out. I literally could not bear to watch movies like that. My heart is wrecked over what was done to G-d's people. I don't need to see it dramatized.

Never saw it but is it Chucky?

she held it up and showed it to everybody gathered around her, right there in the driveway. It had your typical lovely little porcelain doll mouth, until it saw the father and then it's face changed and it glared at him and bared these sharp little teeth. He's the only one who saw it like that, though (of course). I can't, to this day, figure out why he didn't bash its awful little head in right then and there. A trip to Toys-R-Us would have placated the girl, and saved the whole family! LOL!

I think part of what creeped me out so badly was that specific scene - it was broad daylight! Evil, scary, creepy things were only supposed to show themselves in the dark of night, right? It messed with my archetypes! :willy_nilly:

I knew better than to watch Chucky, after seeing that one! LOL.

But, the one movie scene I've never been able to get out of my head is from "Beloved". The rape scene was way too much for me. Of course, it didn't help that my first baby was still a baby at the time. And, its the only movie I have ever gone to see by myself. The whole movie was just awful. That's the ONLY movie I've ever walked out on.

Silence of the Lambs - saw this when I was babysitting in the middle of nowhere - what was I thinking?!?!?

But there's one movie still bothers me (I was about 6 years old when I saw it, I was in foster care - early eighties) and I don't have a clue what the movie was - the only scene I remember is two children in a bedroom and something that looks like a huge mouth/hole trying to suck them into it and their parents are trying to save them. I have NO clue what that movie was but I can still picture that scene so vividly. And I still can't sleep with my bedroom door shut. Anyone know what movie that could be?

But there's one movie still bothers me (I was about 6 years old when I saw it, I was in foster care - early eighties) and I don't have a clue what the movie was - the only scene I remember is two children in a bedroom and something that looks like a huge mouth/hole trying to suck them into it and their parents are trying to save them. I have NO clue what that movie was but I can still picture that scene so vividly. And I still can't sleep with my bedroom door shut. Anyone know what movie that could be?

Poltergeist maybe?

Lost Highway and Eraserhead- David Lynch movies that my dh loved and I hated; total waste of time

I prefer movies with happy endings, but I also enjoy movies that make me see something I needed to see or teach me something I needed to know. Schindler's List is a movie that fits this category. The Ring is another pointless and disturbing movie that I wish I hadn't seen. On the other hand, Pan's Labryinth was a beautiful movie even though it ended badly and was rather disturbing all the way through.

Oh, and Strictly Ballroom was *totally* stupid and yet I learned something so that makes it OK. ;)

Margaret

I saw Scarface when I was 13 or 14 and I was too young to see it. I sobbed during the shoot 'em up scene in the end. It was depravity on a scale I had a hard time coping with. Shark Boy and Lava Girl was a movie I took my kids to see a couple of years ago. That is one of the worst movies I've ever seen and 90 minutes of my life I can't get back.

Lost Highway and Eraserhead- David Lynch movies that my dh loved and I hated; total waste of time

I don't even have anything to say about your post, Margaret. I just want everyone to know that I totally love your new avatar!!! Too funny!!

Poltergeist maybe?

Ding, ding, ding! I just checked it out on IMBD and that was it! Just watching the trailer for the movie freaked me out -that was the movie I saw. I just want to know who on earth lets a SIX year old child watch stuff like that?!?!?! No wonder I've still got issues:D

Yeah, Silence of the Lambs was awful! I will never look at Anthony Hopkins the same again!

I watched that Lindsay Lohan movie "I Know Who Killed Me" or something like that. It was absolutely horribly gross and graphic and showed WAY too much! I felt sick after watching it.

Jacquelyn

I don't even have anything to say about your post, Margaret. I just want everyone to know that I totally love your new avatar!!! Too funny!!

Thanks so much. I totally relate to Mary Katherine Gallagher on so many levels -- I was even dorkier as a teen :) with an inflated sense of "Superstar!" -ness . Come to think of it, I still do!

Margaret

I'll date myself with some of these.

When they were first out ...

Alien, at a midnight showing ... doh! Kept the light on in my bedroom for a month after. And Poltergeist, at a midnight showing ... double doh! Guess I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree, but my dresser lamp is still going strong!

I don't go to midnight showings any more.

More recently on DVD, Seven ... wanted to watch Morgan Freeman, but there is absolutely nothing good, true, or beautiful in that horror. And 28 Weeks Later ... the Brits have been putting out lots of bad movies lately, and this one tops them, gak.

I saw The Shining when I was far too young (whenever it came on on vhs), 12 maybe? I didn't see it at home because for one I never have cared for scary movies, and my parents were always careful about what we watched. I saw it at some friends who quite often watched scary stuff - in hind sight, I'm wondering what I continued to spend the night there??? (and why they're parents allowed them to watch such garbage!)

A more recent one would be Hollow Man, that haunted me for quite a while.

I haven't seen most of the other movies mentioned, because I know they would really bother me, and hearing about them is more than enough.

A.I. The most depressing sci-fi movie in existance. Everytime you thought "oh, finally...this movie might have a spot of brightness" if got even worse.

The adults in my family still talk about this one.

As for scary ones: Butterfly effect really disturbed me. Se7en upset both DH and I.

But the one that still haunts me from childhood is Ants with Suzzanne Sommers. I can still remember that kid dumpster diving for returnable bottles and coming out covered head to toe with ants.

Living in in fire ant territory, being covered with ants is very bad.

Oh, and Strictly Ballroom was *totally* stupid and yet I learned something so that makes it OK. ;)

Margaret

I loved that movie...:confused: I'm beginning to feel more and more like a total weirdo. A number of the movies listed so far are ones I really liked. Loved Se7en; it would have been a perfect movie w/o Brad and Gwyneth.

:leaving:

I loved that movie...:confused: I'm beginning to feel more and more like a total weirdo. A number of the movies listed so far are ones I really liked. Loved Se7en; it would have been a perfect movie w/o Brad and Gwyneth.

Me, too. I was pregnant when we watched Se7en, maybe that's why I liked it? Crazy hormones.;)

I agree about Gwyneth, she irritates the living crap out of me. I refuse to see a movie that she is in. Blech.

A.I. The most depressing sci-fi movie in existance. Everytime you thought "oh, finally...this movie might have a spot of brightness" if got even worse.

The adults in my family still talk about this one.

When I think about this one I start to get nauseous. I should never, never have seen it :sad:

Oh Jenny, there's no need to feel that way. People just have different tastes in things, that's all. There have been several books/movies listed in these two threads that I actually liked while someone else disliked them greatly. That's not a reflection on either of us, just different preferences. Besides, anyone who likes Amelie can't be a total weirdo! ;)

I agree about Gwyneth, she irritates the living crap out of me. I refuse to see a movie that she is in. Blech.

I feel that way about Brad. I don't want to see anything that he's in. Same for Angelina Jolie and while we're at it Tom Cruise too.

I feel that way about Brad. I don't want to see anything that he's in. Same for Angelina Jolie and while we're at it Tom Cruise too.

Mr. Pitt has been in a number of movies I've liked, but he was just awful in that one. Kevin Spacey and Morgan Freeman acted circles around him. We did just see, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. And he was quite good in it. Now Tom Cruise and Ms. Jolie... I can't think one movie I liked them in.

That bus scene didn't haunt me as much as Sophie's Choice. Maybe I was too young when I saw the MASH episode, or maybe it was Meryl Streep's acting.

Meryl Streep said they did the scene in one take. It was too emotionally draining to do it again.

The Piano disturbed me for years (in fact, I still have vivid pictures in my head!). The scene where that guy cut off her finger...OMG...it still disturbs me to think about it. Misery....hitting the ankles (shiver...). All the Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th movies I saw as a CHILD (why did my mother let me watch those?). Halloween, Jaws and oh, one I haven't seen mentioned...anybody remember Children of the Corn? Creepy.

Silence of the Lambs.

I'm a total scaredy-cat and have no idea what possessed (the correct word) me to see it. I STILL (about 18 yrs later) get creeped out about it. Just this morning I was out for an early morning walk and it was dark and I started to think about it. AAAAHHHH...will it never go away?

Scream.

I watched that alone in my apartment. Again, don't know what I was thinking. I think I thought it would be funny and maybe it was supposed to be but it freaked me out. That was the end of anything remotely scary for me. I learned I just don't want to put certain things in my head.

Well...count me in the weirdo camp. I really liked Silence of the Lambs...and Pulp Fiction was hysterical and brilliant and sick :-) But I was an adult when I saw them.

Now...what I want to know is what were my parents thinking when they took me to the theatre to see Jaws and the Amityville Horror as a child?! I still have issues with going in the ocean.

And then as a teen, I went with a friend to see "Some kind of Wonderful" and it was sold out...so we saw "Platoon" instead. Oh, that was sooo not where my brain was! Yuck, yuck, yuck.

I'm kinda sorry I saw Forest Gump. 'Ya, I know, everybody loved that movie, but I didn't. The great moments weren't great enough to make me ok with the bad moments.

I also didn't like that Tom Hanks one where he's stranded on the island with just a volleyball to keep him company, and then he gets home and Helen Hunt has that other guy...

As a kid I saw Nightmare on Elm Street, and Freddy Krueger and his knife fingernails will forever be in my brain.

I saw just a couple of scenes from Pulp Fiction, and wish I hadn't.

Don't you wish there was a way to "unsee" those things? I tell my kids that, and I'm not sure they take me seriously. You can't un-ring a bell, kwim?

~J~