Menu

Am I right to be frustrated?

My son goes to Tang Soo Do and absolutely loves it. They were offering a karate day camp this week so he went for the week (and it was $125 without meals so it wasn't cheap). Anyway, they did two classes of karate daily and played some other games (dodge ball, capture the flag, etc). They also played video games daily which I did NOT approve of. I don't think a 5yo needs to even know that video games exist and now he is begging for a Wii. I was annoyed, but not super mad about that.

Well, on the last day of camp, the kids watched Transformers. I thought that was totally uncalled for! It is a very violent movie (or at least it looked like one from the previews I watched). I think I should have been informed about that beforehand since my son is only 5 (most of the kids there were 8 and under and there were two other 5yos...they had an overnight camp for the bigger kids).

Plus, after his week of "socialization" he is now calling everything stupid, including his sister and basically just having a terrible attitude. Maybe I should bring that up the next time I get the socialization question.

BTW, as I was typing this, DS5 woke up from his nap screaming because he had a bad dream about a transformer hurting him. UGH, I am just so frustrated!!!!!!!

I realized early on that summer "camps" were, for the most part, just glorified daycare for kids who would normally be in public school.

Kid went to ONE that wasn't like that, and that was only because the people running it interviewed the parents to spell out how intense of a sport camp it actually was (8am-12, solid track & field and weights, no games, no "socializing").

It's sad, but those camps are big money makers and most parents aren't all too concerned with what actually goes on in them.

asta

My first website! http://www.militaryhomeschoolnetwork.com

I think you have every right to be upset about them showing a PG-13 movie to your five year old! In your shoes, I would most definitely complain to the owner/manager. They should have sought your permission first.

I realized early on that summer "camps" were, for the most part, just glorified daycare for kids who would normally be in public school.

:iagree:

I think you have the right to be upset that your 5 year old watched a movie that is rated PG13, but to be honest, if you were new to their summer camp, you should have asked detailed questions about what they would be doing/watching/etc before you made the choice to send him there.

I think you have the right to be upset that your 5 year old watched a movie that is rated PG13, but to be honest, if you were new to their summer camp, you should have asked detailed questions about what they would be doing/watching/etc before you made the choice to send him there.

Transformers?! :confused: Really. My son likes the movie, but he's not 5?! WTH were they thinking. Obviously not set up for age appropriate activities. The Wii I might have expected, but not PG-13 movies. I would complain. I wonder if the organizers are experienced with working with younger children. :glare:

I think it is totally reasonable to expect a day camp catering to children under 8 to not show PG-13 movies. That is just inappropriate and I'm sure it's against policy in most camps & schools.

As far as the video games ... I think you are going to need to let it go. When we assign someone else to care for our children, we take the chance that they will do things that we don't do in our own homes. As long as the games were rated E for everyone, I don't think they did anything wrong.

I was a little annoyed that my 3 year old watched "Never Say Never" (the Justin Bieber movie) in his preschool class. Apparently a little girl is a big fan and brought the video in to watch at school, and the teachers served popcorn and made it a group thing. Blech. It's annoying that I paid for the time he spent watching it, but it didn't do him any harm.

The PG13 movie, I'd be mad about - HELLO, *13* - says so on the label!!

The "stupid" stuff I'm afraid is just a drawback of children interacting with other children in any situation - we do a weekly playgroup with children/parents that we know & approve of and still end up with stuff like that :(

We let our kids play video games, but I would have been upset about the PG-13 movie for any of my boys. Wow, Transformers for a five year old? Really?!?!

Um. Never saw the series. Isn't there a questionable scene in the first Transformers movie with a boy "lusting" over Megan Fox -- very inappropriate scene??? Eeek. There is a reason the Transformer franchise is marketed to 16 year old hormonally challenged boys. Can't understand why they sell toys aimed at little boys too. :glare:

I think it is totally reasonable to expect a day camp catering to children under 8 to not show PG-13 movies. That is just inappropriate and I'm sure it's against policy in most camps & schools.

As far as the video games ... I think you are going to need to let it go. When we assign someone else to care for our children, we take the chance that they will do things that we don't do in our own homes. As long as the games were rated E for everyone, I don't think they did anything wrong.

I was a little annoyed that my 3 year old watched "Never Say Never" (the Justin Bieber movie) in his preschool class. Apparently a little girl is a big fan and brought the video in to watch at school, and the teachers served popcorn and made it a group thing. Blech. It's annoying that I paid for the time he spent watching it, but it didn't do him any harm.

Back in the "stone age" (1988-2004) when I taught as a public schoolteacher... it was standard policy to NEVER show any video or movie that was not a "G" rating. And even with a "G" rating, we always had to notify all parents of the movie days in advance.

Parents who disapproved of the movie had the right to opt out and we would send the student to another room, join a PE/art/computer class, or go to the library during the movie. We tried not to punish the student and support the parent's wishes. :confused:

I agree that Transformers is highly inappropriate for that age group. There is one scene in particular that I *really* didn't want to have to explain to my kids and fast forwarded it when I did allow them to watch it at 10 & 7. :P

On top of that, it was a KARATE camp that you paid $125 for your child to participate in KARATE activities. If they were playing video games or watching movies instead of doing KARATE related activities (and it wasn't explained in the camp literature ahead of time) I would have a problem with not getting what I paid for, even if the games and movies were age appropriate.

On top of that, it was a KARATE camp that you paid $125 for your child to participate in KARATE activities. If they were playing video games or watching movies instead of doing KARATE related activities (and it wasn't explained in the camp literature ahead of time) I would have a problem with not getting what I paid for, even if the games and movies were age appropriate.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I would be annoyed by the movie rating, but not anything else. My dd's gym offers day camps, but they watch movies, play games and have open gym time, but there is no actual gymnastics instruction. I think that's the way it goes with most places that offer day camps; I get the impression they are more for the parents to get time away from the kids than anything else.

In my experience $125/week is what you would pay for a day camp, rather than more of a skills camp--for us, a week of day camp a the gym is $140 vs. $350 for actual gymnastics camps, which are nothing like day camp.)

If it was specified as a Karate camp that is what I would think my kids would be spending most of the day doing. If it was specified as just a day camp then I would expect them to be doing AGE appropriate activities.

I'd be upset if I sent my girls to dance camp or my sons to soccer/baseball camp and they spent the majority of their time in front of a screen. Defeats the purpose if you ask me.

I'd be really upset to find out my five year old watched a PG-13 movie!!!

You paid for it you have EVERY right to complain! I might even be asking for some of my money back. Just sayin'!

I agree that Transformers is highly inappropriate for that age group. There is one scene in particular that I *really* didn't want to have to explain to my kids and fast forwarded it when I did allow them to watch it at 10 & 7. :P

We are hosting a karate day camp with ALL karate activities. No movies or videogames just different activities like flag sparring and dodging balls with certain blocks and kicks.

It is focused completely on karate and self defense.

Sorry for the nightmares as well!

Other than complaining, what do you want out of it?

Do you want them to apologize? Refund?

I think I would go for an agreement that parents would be warned ahead of time that the campers would spend most of their time playing games and watching movies.

This was false advertising (as you described it), I might even go for a refund.

You can always write a letter to the local papers.

It was karate camp. My husband takes him to karate and talked to the owner beforehand. He said that they would be doing karate and karate games. No metion of any movies!

I agree with PP about how these are basically glorified daycare. I will not be sending my child to another one of these!

Our karate school offers a day camp that is like this - basically summer day care. They also have a black belt camp during one or two weeks that is all karate, nothing else. They would not show a pg13 movie to kids that age at either. I would talk to the owner.

Yes, I'd be annoyed. I'd also expect it. I know a person who runs a dojo and does daycamp stuff and what you're reporting sounds oh so familiar... I'm sorry, I think the least that should be done is disclosure of what each day's activities will be so you can choose if it's worth it or not. Kwim?

I would assume you are referring to the same scene that I am thinking of. The movie isn't just violent....there's a scene where the mom doesn't want to interrupt the boy in his room because she thinks he is doing something. Everyone in the theater thought that was hilarious. Why did they even have to put that in there!?! The entire movie is not appropriate for kids that age. Why didn't they show a nice G animated movie....maybe Kung Fu Panda (wouldn't that make a lot more sense??). FWIW...I haven't seen all of Kung Fu Panda....so I don't know if there's anything objectionable in that (I just looked it up and it's PG)...but the theme seems like it would fit the camp perfect.

I guess I just wanted to make sure that I was justified in being upset. :D

You are justified. I would say something.

Edited by ~AprilMay~

I guess I just wanted to make sure that I was justified in being upset. :D

Yes, you are justified. Very justified.:iagree:

Hope your child will get over the nightmares soon.

I will be very upset too, for the show is even too violent for me.

We are hosting a karate day camp with ALL karate activities. No movies or videogames just different activities like flag sparring and dodging balls with certain blocks and kicks.

It is focused completely on karate and self defense.

Sorry for the nightmares as well!

Can I send my son to your camp instead? :auto: