Menu

Would you say anything about this?

7 boys and 3 girls here.

If dh isn't there for the boys, then we all shower/change at home.

The end.

It is not only a choice btw shower with females or alone with strange men.

It wouldn't occur to me to bring my sons to the women's locker room even without a sign.

We didn't do that even in December. We dried off as best we could and pulled on sweats and went home to change.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there have been some good suggestions so far. As a mom of a 5yo boy, this has started coming onto my radar as something that will become an issue soon. Are there kids older than 6 or 7 there at that time? If not, one other idea that came to mind, that normally wouldn't work, but might in your situation, since you say the only adults there are parents bringing their kids for swimming lessons, would be if the moms could accompany their boys into the men's locker room. That sounds logistically difficult to me, because I don't know how they would assure that only the moms and little boys would be in there at that time, but just throwing it out there in case it's something that might be workable in this particular scenario.

Does the pool have any of those pool side showers? Seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to put up one of those little curved shower curtain rods--or the Ikea wire kind--and make a little curtained area for parents of opposite-gendered kids over 5 to use.

Sigh...it's too bad this has to get so complicated. It is, though. We had this issue when we took swim lessons at our local YMCA, and I felt terrible because the mom of the little boy looked really offended when I would take my 9yo dd around the corner to change when her boy came in, but in that case, he actually had a tendency to be trying to crane his neck around his mom to see.

It is only kids of that age, so that's another good suggestions!

7 boys and 3 girls here.

If dh isn't there for the boys, then we all shower/change at home.

The end.

It is not only a choice btw shower with females or alone with strange men.

It wouldn't occur to me to bring my sons to the women's locker room even without a sign.

We didn't do that even in December. We dried off as best we could and pulled on sweats and went home to change.

This is what I think we'll do once DS is older.

Our Y has says no opposite gender children over THREE! :confused: They do have a hallway with four "family" changing rooms (no toilet/shower) and one single special needs room that is fully equipped. Competition is stiff after lessons as you can imagine since almost everyone has mixed families and needs them.

The two YMCAs I attended growing up had FULL family locker rooms for moms and dads as well as adult locker rooms. I think the family rooms were for children to 16.

Edited by Zuzu822

Since they have a stated policy that boys aren't allowed in there past a certain age, they need to enforce it. Parents who are there with boys and aren't comfortable having them in the men's locker room alone should take them home to shower and change.

A family locker room would be better but not something I'd expect to see at a community college.

:iagree:

I wouldn't send my 7 year old into a locker room alone, but I also wouldn't violate the pool rules. The moms shouldn't have signed up for lessons if they didn't like the age restriction on the locker rooms. If the moms were unaware of the policy, then maybe the pool needs to start mentioning it when little boys sign up for lessons.

When dh took the girls to swim lessons alone, they had to ride home in their wet suits and shower at home. It wasn't ideal in cold, rainy Oregon, but it was better than taking little girls into a men's locker room or sending them in alone.

I wonder if those moms would be willing to leave class a few mins early to do this- there's another class right after so the kids can't stay in the pool and my DD got cold, quick.

Just bring a big beach towel to wrap around her. I don't think it's fair to ask those mom's to leave early. After all, they are paying the same amount for that class that you are. You could just as easily leave early.

Since they have a stated policy that boys aren't allowed in there past a certain age, they need to enforce it. Parents who are there with boys and aren't comfortable having them in the men's locker room alone should take them home to shower and change.

A family locker room would be better but not something I'd expect to see at a community college.

:iagree:

Just bring a big beach towel to wrap around her. I don't think it's fair to ask those mom's to leave early. After all, they are paying the same amount for that class that you are. You could just as easily leave early.

Ah, but my DD was in the proper locker room, properly following rules. And I did wrap her in a towel.

The parents of the boys should follow the rules. At our rec center boys ages 6+ are required to use the mens' room. In order to even get to the pool you must walk thru the locker rooms so my son walks thru the locker room by himself. I agree that family change areas are ideal, but that doesn't mean the rules should be broken.

Forgive me, but I haven't read all 7pages of posts thus far. I have two boys and I couldn't send mine into a men's room unattended.

However, don't any Dad's take their daughters to swim class? What are THEY supposed to do? It sounds like there are difficulties all around. Definitely bring it to their attention. You'll probably be helping lots of parents who have the same concerns.

J

I agree with kandbp.

I was going to suggest this. Talk to the pool manager and the other mothers. Perhaps having a lifeguard stationed outside the boy's bathroom or a note that could be posted saying it was temporarily a family bathroom and unavailable to the general public for the amount of time it would take to shower and change after the swim class.

Then moms could go in with sons and no one else who is not a part of the swim class could use it and it would give the girls freedom in their own bathroom as well.

I'd see if this could be arranged. Sounds like the easiest way to handle this, esp since no other people are there at the time.

As a mom of both I would in NO way send my son in at age 5, 6, or 7 alone into a men's bathroom to change. However I wouldn't want to make others feel embarrassed by using the wrong changing room. So if it comes to that we'd just wait till we got home, even if we had to run errands. I'm not above having my kids change clothes in the back of our van where the windows are tinted, either.

Boys have no right to be in the bathrooms with girls. If it is that hard for the mom her husband should be bring them. No one has a right to make others uncomfortable and I could care less what they paid. I paid too and my daugter has te right to use the facilities without feeling like she is being peeped at.

The parents of the boys should follow the rules. At our rec center boys ages 6+ are required to use the mens' room. In order to even get to the pool you must walk thru the locker rooms so my son walks thru the locker room by himself. I agree that family change areas are ideal, but that doesn't mean the rules should be broken.

:iagree:Our pools changed the rules here within the past five years as well. In order for boys older than 6 to get to the pool, they must walk through the men's locker room. No exceptions. Grown women getting changed didn't really want to be stared at by boys...no matter what their age. And some mothers had no problem parading their boys who were TEN and older through the women's locker room. It was ridiculous. :glare: And completely inappropriate. It's a women's locker room....no men or boys allowed. And really....do you want your young boys surrounded by a group of women in various stages of undress? Most women's locker rooms I've been in have women who walk around, dry their hair and even put on their make-up (:001_huh: that one baffled me) completely in the nude. I think that's just as inappropriate for the boys to be around. Especially boys of older elementary school age.

My boys have always walked through the men's locker room to get to the pool and back that way to leave it. If they were too young to manage changing out of a wet bathing suit by themselves, I simply had them wrap themselves in their towels and change at home.

To the OP....I would complain to the facility operators and ask that they enforce their policy. The mother of those boys was clearly breaking the rules and your dd should not have to feel uncomfortable in the women's dressing room.

:iagree:Our pools changed the rules here within the past five years as well. In order for boys older than 6 to get to the pool, they must walk through the men's locker room. No exceptions. Grown women getting changed didn't really want to be stared at by boys...no matter what their age. And some mothers had no problem parading their boys who were TEN and older through the women's locker room. It was ridiculous. :glare: And completely inappropriate. It's a women's locker room....no men or boys allowed. And really....do you want your young boys surrounded by a group of women in various stages of undress? Most women's locker rooms I've been in have women who walk around, dry their hair and even put on their make-up (:001_huh: that one baffled me) completely in the nude. I think that's just as inappropriate for the boys to be around. Especially boys of older elementary school age.

My boys have always walked through the men's locker room to get to the pool and back that way to leave it. If they were too young to manage changing out of a wet bathing suit by themselves, I simply had them wrap themselves in their towels and change at home.

To the OP....I would complain to the facility operators and ask that they enforce their policy. The mother of those boys was clearly breaking the rules and your dd should not have to feel uncomfortable in the women's dressing room.

I think I'm going to call tomorrow. I have no desire for boys to be unsafe, but I also want to consider my DD's feelings. Feelings that I think are pretty reasonable. :001_smile:

Guest Dulcimeramy
I think I'm going to call tomorrow. I have no desire for boys to be unsafe, but I also want to consider my DD's feelings. Feelings that I think are pretty reasonable. :001_smile:

Please update when you get a chance!

As a mother of boys (three of them ages 7 and under) I do sympathize with the mothers who do not want to send their little guys into the men's room to shower alone. That said, my dh is not available to take my ds's to swim lessons so I do it. That means that they do not shower until we get home because I am not comfortable sending them in to shower without my dh. It's not a big deal. We just towel off and head out.

The mothers are being insensitive, IMO. I would say something to the facility manager. A family restroom with a shower stall would be ideal for those families who simply cannot wait to shower until they get home.

I do take my ds2 into the ladies locker room with me when we change over and I get dirty looks sometimes. I think *that* is an overreaction.

While I am very protective of my boys, I would not take my 7 seven year old into the ladies locker room and most definitely not into a communal shower.

I send my 7 year old through the mens locker room and meet him on the other side. He slips on his shoes and puts on a dry shirt and sits on a towel on the way home. We all shower and change at home. I would make the management aware of the problem.

JMO,

Joy

I had an even worse problem. Our Y was so poorly designed that the only access to the pool was through the single sex locker rooms. So how on earth was I supposed to get my autistic 7yo to his lesson? He wouldn't walk through the men's room alone because he was afraid and I'd get the stink eye if I took him through the ladies room. We ended up quitting lessons. Eventually the Y renovated and installed a separate entrance and some family changing rooms, but we're no longer members.

the naked women in the women's locker room. Seven years old is definitely the age when the children start keeping their memories from that time forth.

Here's a funny about that. My friend called me last week, because she had her kiddos at the rec center for a "mommy and me" swim class. Her little boy is 3 (and I have NO problems with a 3 year old in the women's room at all) and he was sitting on the wooden bench next to his mom while she changed out of her swimsuit.

Sooooo, he's looking around and the college age lifeguard was also there changing into her swimsuit for her shift. She has some rather creative "designer" carpeting in her TeA room and my friend's little boy, says (LOUDLY), "Mommy, her fuzzy parts are nicer than yours! She has hearts there! Look, Mommy!) :lol: :lol: :lol: My friend wanted the earth to open up and swallow her whole!! She couldn't grab her son and run because she was naked herself. The lifeguard just smiled and walked away, but ya know....what are you going to do? It got even worse when her son proceeded to tell the rest of the family about it later that day.

Just something you might want to keep in mind with little boys. Their powers of observation are mighty. :glare:

Here's a funny about that. My friend called me last week, because she had her kiddos at the rec center for a "mommy and me" swim class. Her little boy is 3 (and I have NO problems with a 3 year old in the women's room at all) and he was sitting on the wooden bench next to his mom while she changed out of her swimsuit.

Sooooo, he's looking around and the college age lifeguard was also there changing into her swimsuit for her shift. She has some rather creative "designer" carpeting in her TeA room and my friend's little boy, says (LOUDLY), "Mommy, her fuzzy parts are nicer than yours! She has hearts there! Look, Mommy!) :lol: :lol: :lol: My friend wanted the earth to open up and swallow her whole!! She couldn't grab her son and run because she was naked herself. The lifeguard just smiled and walked away, but ya know....what are you going to do? It got even worse when her son proceeded to tell the rest of the family about it later that day.

Just something you might want to keep in mind with little boys. Their powers of observation are mighty. :glare:

My daughters would have commented too. Its not a gender thing. :lol:

ETA: at a young age, that is.

I'm surprised how many people would object. To me, 6 or 7 is still a very small child. While I've sent my son to the mens' locker rooms since he was about that age, I can understand why other mothers would be leery. *shrug*. 8 or 9? I might object. 6 or 7? Meh. Maybe this comes of having children of both sexes?

It wouldn't bother me, but it would mortify my 9yo daughter.

On the other hand, both my kids are on swim team and we were recently told by the rec facility that the family changing room isn't for swim team members. I had been taking my daughter into the girls' room, but my son was showering in the family changing room, which was filled with other swim team moms and their kids. I would have preferred not to have sent him into the mens' room and he is 11. There is no way I would have sent my 6 or 7 year old.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

Sooooo, he's looking around and the college age lifeguard was also there changing into her swimsuit for her shift. She has some rather creative "designer" carpeting in her TeA room and my friend's little boy, says (LOUDLY), "Mommy, her fuzzy parts are nicer than yours! She has hearts there! Look, Mommy!) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I needed this laugh. Thank you.

:smilielol5:

:lol::smilielol5: Wow, hearts, who knew!?

:iagree: I don't understand why someone who knows very well they are unwilling or unable to follow the rules should expect everyone else to deal with it. It's just not fair.

Nor do I understand why the boys have to shower at the pool. The mom can ask the instructor for another way out, dry them off on deck and let them change in the car.

And yes, I have a son (well over 5 :D) who did not use the women's locker room after he learned to talk. And we are a family of swimmers.

So when he was like 18 months old you would send him alone into the men's locker room? Did I misunderstand something here because that obviously isn't the case.

For reference--our pool has a five and over rule. At that age you need to use the locker room appropriate to your gender.

That's insane. There's no way I could send my 5 year old into the men/boy room alone. He still needs my supervision and direction in order to get showered and changed. And you never know who will be in there... a 5 year old alone would be very vulnerable.

I let my 8yo son go through the men's locker room at the pool. However, I live in a town of about 3500 people. I almost always know most of the people at the pool. I am comfortable with him walking through unattended. He never takes a shower in there, never changes in there, and only uses the toilets. I know the male lifeguards (one was our homeschool PE teacher). So that is why I don't take him into the women's locker room.

If we were in a bigger town/city with more unfamiliar people, I'd probably have a different attitude. Heck, earlier today we went to the city and I made my son come into the ladies room with me. Some lady gave me the stink eye when she saw him in there with me. Whatever. I'd rather have some rude woman give me a dirty look than possibly risk my son's safety.

I take it you, OP, are not in a tiny town. I would understand a mom taking her son into the women's locker room. I'd be uncomfortable, and so would my 2 dds, but I would understand. But, rules are rules. Just take a shower at home and avoid the situation.

Little girls also have strong powers of observation. My dd was only 2 when she was changing after a beach play date. Our friend's mom decided to change in the same bedroom. She didn't think twice about my dd being in there: she was only 2 after all! I was out in the living room. From behind the closed door I heard my dd loudly announce, "My mama has those, too!" Seconds later the door opened just a crack and my little dd was gently guided out. :lol:

(It can happen even with same-gender kids!)

if the boy is five or if he is six. Would a five year old boy make her uncomfortable? Because she is going to simply have to cope with that (according to the rules) or change elsewhere. What is the difference between a five year old and a six year old? Seven? I wonder where the line would be for your daughter or for the average girl/woman.

I probably would bring this up with the swim organization. They obviously need a solution because they simply can't expect six year old boys to be sent in to a men's locker room on a community college campus. But at the same time, they have to have some rules that make girls feel comfortable. A very sensitive girl may not be comfortable even with naked five year olds. But no clear headed person would suggest the boys be sent in with college men for a shower. Ridiculous.

Honestly, as a Mom, I never let my sons use public changing rooms anyway. I think they are just gross and germy and I always just take them home to shower and change. We swan pretty much every day all summer and many time in the wither, and it was never a problem. My sons must be just 'shake and dress" kinds of guys. Further, I always felt uncomfortable at the Y even when it was just me. There were women who seemed to really like walking around totally naked, and even with just other women, it gave me the creeps. DH had the same problem with men. There was one guy he called "naked blow dry guy" because he would work out and then he would shower and blow his hair dry NAKED every day at lunch. Ick right? Wouldn't want my unsupervised son around that, and frankly, my husband couldn't take it either. We dropped out Y membership!

Personally I would not say anything. As long as the boys are behaving I would let them be. But that doesn't mean you don't have the right to complain. I have seen it happen to often with people/kids being kicked out of places (such as change rooms), and I don't like it.

One case from a pool I went to years ago. A very small community pool. A grandmother took her mentally handicapped son swimming. I wasn't sure what his problem was, but you could tell he had difficulties. (Didn't make eye contact, made many strange animal noises, only said a few words...) But as soon as he turned 6 he was kicked out by the other woman. They had the big complaint that he kept playing with himself. He did so when being changed by his grandmother in the way very little boys handle themselves. It just made me so sad that he lost the chance to swim which he really loved since he made other uncomfortable.

Mind you as long as the boy/child was behaving properly I wouldn't complain. But I am a strange, odd person when it comes to some things.

I wouldn't let my 7yo ds go into a locker room alone to shower & change, but I don't think it is appropriate for them to shower in the girls locker room either. I am assuming that there is no family locker room since it is a community college, but I would think that some other kind of arrangements could be made (maybe they could designate a 15 minute window for the boys to shower either before or after the girls?).

I have no idea. It seems like a huge opening for abuse. The only adult men there being parents doesn't change a thing. Many, many sickos become parents. Sick people actually go out and look for situations like that to be in. Yuck.

I'd just have my son shower at home.

Anywho, I've never understood changing out in the open in locker rooms. Even in the high school locker room, we all changed in private. I've never seen a reason to be naked around anyone I wasn't very, very close to. Yes, I realize I'm more modest than most! :tongue_smilie: My naked body is my private thing. And since there are people attracted to the opposite sex and people attracted to the same sex, it's not like I feel more comfortable being naked in a girls locker room than I would be in a men's locker room. Yeah, I know. I'm probably weird.

I guess I'm wierd too. I don't change out in the open either. I'm just not comfortable with it and I figure it's nobody's business what is under my clothes! I got pretty grossed out the one time I decided to use the womes locker room instead of the family locker room (my dc weren't with me so I thought I'd be a grown up...never again!). Anyway, after I had changed, I was brushing hair & gathering by belongings and the whole time, there are 3 women standing/sitting around in their birthday suits watching TV (Oprah), talking & laughing! I'm just not into hanging out in the nude! I'll take screaming kids and smelly family locker rooms any day before I try the Womens locker room again! YUCK!

Edited by Katiebug_1976

:lol::smilielol5: Wow, hearts, who knew!?

That's what my friend's dh said. To which she promptly responded, "NO!" :lol:

And actually, she said she had NO IDEA what sort of pattern the woman had on her TeA room wallpaper. Her eyes were firmly fixed on the floor the entire time (despite her child tugging on her and pointing). Whatever it was.....and the possibilities are endless, I'm sure....it looked like hearts to her 3 year old. :smilielol5:

And yes, I'm sure a little girl would have noticed as well (mine would have :glare:). Just one of the hazards of bringing kiddos into non-family locker rooms. Who knows what you might see? All sorts of decorating possibilites abound. Sort of like Better Homes & Gardens for the TeA room. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sputterduck viewpost.gif

So when he was like 18 months old you would send him alone into the men's locker room? Did I misunderstand something here because that obviously isn't the case.

I believe she meant that they showered at home? :confused:

Yep, home. I had heard too many of these sorts of stories.

The facility needs to provide an area for these mothers and sons to use. I'd comment on *that*. The need for a family changing area.

To expect kids that age to be alone in a change room just isn't ok w/me. I mean seriously, 5+? Nope, nope, nope.

Not to mention, what happens with kids who are special needs? Just b/c they're 7 yrs old doesn't mean they're able to change without assistance, or don't need an adult present to guide them and ensure their safety at all times.

What Imp said!!!

As a mom of three boys I can tell you that my boys were probably 10 or so before I would let them go into public restroom or changing area without dh or myself and really it was probably 11 for the oldest. At that point, I made him take his 10 year old brother with him for a "safety" in numbers kind of thing. Mostly we did our level best for me to not have to take them swimming or for an extended shopping trip to facilities without family restrooms unless dh could come along. We are pretty safety oriented here.

So, my dilemna in the OP's situation would be that as the mom of the 7 year old boys, I'd place my responsibility for the safety of my sons ahead of the awkward situation of the girls since safety comes first. But, I would also not be all that happy about them changing with the girls. Appropriateness and discomfort go both ways.

I like the idea of a staggered release time. Girls have "x" minutes to get out of the changing/shower area before boys will be released or vice versa. Ultimately, if there isn't a private shower stall, my kids would be showering at home anyway and only changing inside the bathroom stalls. Communal changing is not in my opinion the least bit appropriate any longer.

Faith

I wouldn't have any safety concerns about sending an over 5 child into the locker room alone, personally, but I'm not the kind of person who thinks pedophiles are hiding in every bush, and I'd assume that after a swim class there'd be other children in there, so he wouldn't be alone.

But, I'd have other concerns. I know that, at 6, and maybe even now at 7, my DS was NOT mature or trustworthy enough to go into an area with showers by himself. I'd be far more concerned about his making a flood, or about the danger of a bunch of small boys fooling around in a slippery area.

It wouldn't bother me at all - and I've never seen a pool with a gender rule THAT young! Are they nuts? Most pools that I've seen, if they have a gender rule, set it at 8 or 10Ă¢â‚¬Â¦. 5????

As it happens, I have a 12 year old son who comes into the ladies locker room with me if there isn't a family room - he's disabled* and requires 1-1 assistance with pretty much all of his daily living activities.

*yeah I know, it's not PC to use the word "disabled" anymoreĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ but the whole "person with _____" doesn't work as smoothly when your child has a laundry list instead of one (or even two) labels that sum everything up nicely. ;)

It wouldn't bother me at all - and I've never seen a pool with a gender rule THAT young! Are they nuts? Most pools that I've seen, if they have a gender rule, set it at 8 or 10Ă¢â‚¬Â¦. 5????

As it happens, I have a 12 year old son who comes into the ladies locker room with me if there isn't a family room - he's disabled* and requires 1-1 assistance with pretty much all of his daily living activities.

*yeah I know, it's not PC to use the word "disabled" anymoreĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ but the whole "person with _____" doesn't work as smoothly when your child has a laundry list instead of one (or even two) labels that sum everything up nicely. ;)

:grouphug: I would hope that no one bats an eye at this.