Menu

Sea World San Diego vs. Monteray Bay Aquarium

Okay,

We're going to California for our big holiday.:hurray: We will go to one aquarium and I want to know how these two compare. We will be doing the entertainment/ride thing on a different day. I would like to know which is the best as far as experience with many different ocean creatures. We can do without excessive glitz and hoopla. I would also like to avoid hours of my day spent in lineups. My one dd is very into blue whales right now, and my other one loves anything to do with nature. We are going at the end of August if that makes any difference.

TIA

We did both years ago. We just LOVED Monteray Bay Aquarium, but as I recall it was mainly smaller animals. The seahorse information was phenomenal.

To me, SeaWorld is an amusement park with large sea animals. Great roller coasters though.

We did both years ago. We just LOVED Monteray Bay Aquarium, but as I recall it was mainly smaller animals. The seahorse information was phenomenal.

They've successfully held great white sharks in captivity in recent years (helping young grow enough to be released back in the ocean). Unsure if they have any now or not... but I'd LOVE to see that!

I'd go to Monterey... and then go on a whale watching tour or go kayaking on the bay.

I haven't been to Sea World in years. I agree with the previous poster that it is more like an amusement park. We go to Monterey often and the aquarium there is wonderful, but much more educational. It's all indoors and there are no "shows". But, it's a beautiful aquarium. The jellyfish exhibit is just.... wow! And Monterey is a wonderful town to explore. Although San Diego is fun, too. Not much help here! Sorry!

I LOVE Monterey Bay Aquarium!!! We had a year family pass one year and it was so great. One area has a giant floor to ceiling aquarium with tuna (they are big!) and large turtles that swam right up to us. We were there when they had a young great white shark and I was in complete awe at how beautiful it was!

There are so many exhibits! There is a lab section and a good variety for different ages. They had one "show" with trainers and sea otters when we went, too.

I could go over and over.

Check out the website to see what matches up with your family interests.

I grew up in the Bay Area and have done both. I definitely recommend Monterey Bay Aquarium. It's much more of a natural, wild, educational experience.

The San Diego thing is pure glitz where animals are used -- IMO -- inappropriately. (They'll call themselves "conservationists," but that's PR spin.)

If you need any info. about visiting SF just let me know.

One tip: don't stay in a hotel on Fisherman's Wharf. Visit for the day, but don't stay down there.

If you end up going to San Diego there's a real aquarium called Scripps.

Alley

I live in San Diego but vote for the Monterey Aquarium! It is huge, it is interesting AND they have, for an additional charge, a fantastic behind the scenes tour. My 15yo and I went on that last year and really enjoyed it. Not sure if there is an age limit on that tour -- check in advance.

There is a nice, but much smaller, aquarium by UC San Diego, called Birch Aquarium. It is attached to the Scripps Institute of Oceanography.

Sea World is basically a theme park with large aquatic mammals.

The thing about the Monterey Bay Aquarium that makes it so unique is the extensive, large habitats that it establishes. So instead of seeing one fish in a case, you see a variety of species, interacting with each other and with a natural environment.

One of the tanks is 3 stories tall.

Also, they have an emphasis that I have seen nowhere else--on the intertidal zones. Very interesting and well done, and quite unique.

Another vote for Monterey! I grew up in S. CA, and loved Monterey Bay Aquarium. My favorite was the sea otters.

I went to Sea World several times, but I don't remember much about it, other than seeing Shamu. I must not have been that impressed...

Monterey would be my vote. Keep in mind though that it is quite a drive from the amusement parks.

Yep. When I read the original post, I assumed that Northern California was already a planned part of the trip, but this is definitely worth mentioning since a lot of people don't realize just how long California is.

Monterey Bay aquarium is a wonderful aquarium, but I'm not sure it's worth it over Scripps or Sea World if you weren't heading in that direction anyways. It's a day or two drive from San Diego or LA, depending on where you start and how much you push it. A very nice drive if you go up the coast, but that's still a big chunk of driving time.

Edited by ocelotmom

Okay,

We're going to California for our big holiday.:hurray: We will go to one aquarium and I want to know how these two compare. We will be doing the entertainment/ride thing on a different day. I would like to know which is the best as far as experience with many different ocean creatures. We can do without excessive glitz and hoopla. I would also like to avoid hours of my day spent in lineups. My one dd is very into blue whales right now, and my other one loves anything to do with nature. We are going at the end of August if that makes any difference.

TIA

If you could stay for a couple of days, there is a blue whale skelaton on display at the Seymour Center in Santa Cruz, just about an hour's drive from Monterey. Also that center has great touch ponds, a marine mammal research facility, and lots of research info on oceans and such. It is small and not spectacular like the Aquarium, but it has more of an educational focus. (It's the educational arm of the UCSC's marine wildlife and predator research areas.) It's awesome but low key--not a good substitute for the MBA, but a great add on side trip.

Where in California will you be spending most of your trip? The Monterrey Bay Aquarium is amazing. We had the annual pass last year and went about six times, but we live in the Bay Area. Its at least a six hour drive from Disneyland to Monterey and probably worse in the summer. I wouldn't do it unless I were already planning to spend a couple days in Northern California. I love Big Sur and Carmel which are close by and its only a couple hours from Monterey to San Francisco.

If you are planning to spend most of your trip in Southern California--I'd investigate the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach. It's not a big as the Monterey Aquarium but its well done and has a similar focus. We were members for four years when we lived in LA. Whale watching tours are available in both regions but I imagine that the Monterey Bay is a better location for wildlife viewing.

Christine W

We vacation every year in the Monterey area and it's an awesome area to visit. You can hit Santa Cruz for the beach/boardwalk thing, take a walk on the pier and see the sea lions and just a 20 minute drive out of Santa Cruz you're in this fantastic redwood forest. You can ride this old steam train through the the forest and see the famous Santa Cruz County Banana Slug. I went to school in San Diego, and San Diego is great, but I guess just partial to the Monterey/Santa Cruz area.

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/efc/outerbay.aspx

From link:

We're giving our Outer Bay exhibit a fresh look—it will re-open July 1 as the Open Sea exhibit, with sharks, turtles, puffins and more. Our popular Drifters Gallery, featuring delicate and beautiful jellies, will re-open May 28th.

Just a FYI. We were at the Monterey Aquarium a couple of weeks ago, and second the opinion that it's a good field trip still. It's just that the jellies exhibit is truly memorable if you hadn't seen them before.

See, I knew if I asked you guys I'd get the perspective I wanted.:thumbup: We're okay with a bit of glitz and glamour but it sounds like Monteray Bay is more up our alley.

We're starting our holiday at the north of CA and going south. My dh wants to see Alcatraz so we'll be doing a day in SF. I don't think it would be appropriate for my kiddos so we'll have to find something else to amuse ourselves with while he's gone.

I want my kids to see the ocean and the giant redwoods. Since we live in the prairies we've seen lots of grasslands, mountains, and deserts,(went to Utah) but my youngest was not even two the last time we were at the ocean.

We also want to do the zoo in SD and probably the wildlife park. I think we might also do a waterpark and amusement park while we're down there. I can pretty much guarantee that it will be hot enough for a waterpark so that should work out well.:D

We're planning on doing the crazy driving thing there and back so we can spend most of our time in CA. My dh also wants to go to Death Valley but I'm not so sure about that.;) It's soooo hot in August.:ack2:

Anyhow, thanks for your input. I'm sure I'll have more questions later.

Oh, BTW what recommendations do you have for occupying ourselves in SF for a few hours in a family friendly activity?

Thanks

We also want to do the zoo in SD and probably the wildlife park. I think we might also do a waterpark and amusement park while we're down there. I can pretty much guarantee that it will be hot enough for a waterpark so that should work out well.:D

Hello. Disneyland. Going to Southern California and NOT doing Disneyland is...inconceivable.:blink::eek::ack2::svengo:

Oh, BTW what recommendations do you have for occupying ourselves in SF for a few hours in a family friendly activity?

Well, there's the Exploratorium. And you have to drive down Lombardo Street (crooked-est street in the world).:001_smile:

See, I knew if I asked you guys I'd get the perspective I wanted.:thumbup: We're okay with a bit of glitz and glamour but it sounds like Monteray Bay is more up our alley.

We're starting our holiday at the north of CA and going south. My dh wants to see Alcatraz so we'll be doing a day in SF. I don't think it would be appropriate for my kiddos so we'll have to find something else to amuse ourselves with while he's gone.

I want my kids to see the ocean and the giant redwoods. Since we live in the prairies we've seen lots of grasslands, mountains, and deserts,(went to Utah) but my youngest was not even two the last time we were at the ocean.

We're planning on doing the crazy driving thing there and back so we can spend most of our time in CA. My dh also wants to go to Death Valley but I'm not so sure about that.;) It's soooo hot in August.:ack2:

Thanks

You could see beautiful redwoods around Santa Cruz (on the way to Monterey) and (as mentioned) Santa Cruz has a Broadwalk amusement park. It is not massive, but it is fun.

And you will see amazing nature in this area. Monterey-Carmel-Big Sur are absolutely stunning.

The southland around Disneyland, in contrast, is brutally ugly.

There a a million things to do in San Francisco. This is one of the most charming an tourist friendly cities there are.

In August Disneyland and Sea World would be hell. You are thinking the right way!

Bill

There is no reason not to take the kids to Alcatraz. It doesn't have torture chambers or anything like that. You get on a ferry boat at Fishermen's Wharf in San Francisco, right on the Bay (it's beautiful), and go on a brief little ride to an island in the middle of the Bay. The ferry lets you off and you walk up a lovely hill to the prison itself. Then you tour, using headsets that guide you through the different stations, and then look around at your leisure, and head back down the hill to catch the ferry back to the City. If you're smart, you then head over to Scoma's, the seafood restaurant that the locals patronize, and have the best seafood of your life, carefully avoiding any 'market price' items.

For giant redwoods, go to Muir Woods, just across the Golden Gate Bridge from San Francisco. Those are the only ones around there in quantity, and it's a beautiful ride to get there as well. While you're in San Francisco, drive up to the top of Twin Peaks if it's not foggy. You will be able to see the City, the Bay, and the ocean, and it will be VERY impressive. Also, when you're driving to Monterey, take 280 South to 17 or 880 South (17 and 880 are two names for the same freeway, and I don't remember which is the name at the 280 interchange) Then pick up Highway 1 South in Santa Cruz. This will take you around the Monterey Bay, which looks a lot like the Ocean--it's a great ride, very pretty.

If it starts to look like you won't end up spending that much time in SD, there is a pretty good water park in San Jose, although it's not one of the huge ones. It's called Raging Waters, and it's between San Francisco and Santa Cruz. It's a fun day. And, yes, in August it will be hot.

I hate to say this, but this actually sounds possibly hazardous to me that time of the year. Even in the spring, people start at 4 AM to drive through DV so that they are not in there in the heat of the day. Carry a LOT of water. Gallons. Seriously.

Thanks

In addition to the other suggestions, above, the Exploratorium is great for physics and biology especially. Also the Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park has a great rain forest installation that your kids should love, and there is an old, wonderful Japanese Tea Garden with a moon bridge and lots of room to run around right across the concourse from it. I recommend it highly.

If you can join an aquarium or zoo or science museum back home, you might get in for free or reduced rates to many of these attractions with cross-priviledges.

Have a great great time!

PS If you do stop in San Jose, see the Rosicrucean Museum for an extensive and very accessible collection of Egyptian antiquities. Also you might want to check out a mission and an adobe. There are one of each in San Jose as well. Let me know if you want info on those.