Menu

Spin off from do you like your name.....

Guest Katia

My dd's middle name is Lynne and she is 18.

My middle name is Sue and I am 48.

My sister's middle name is Marie and she is 50. However, my dd is named after this sister, who had the nickname "Lynne" when she was in jr. high and high school back in the late 60's and early 70's.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is your middle name. I am guessing you are around 40 if your middle name is Lynn.... At my hs graduation 1/2 the girls middle names were Lynn

But it's not, as is often guessed, pronounced with a long /i/. It's a long /a/, pronounced like "Kay"... like a Kay who can't spell. So, I got both a first name that people inevitably mangled (Dion? DeAnn? Dylan?), and a middle name that made people think I was not a girl from Arizona, but a boy from Hawaii. *sigh* I have no idea what my parents were drinking.

Dy

I'm 41 and wouldn't mind haing a "normal" name. My middle name is Paris.

My mother made up my middle name, seemingly out of thin air. It's a variation of 'lynn' that I don't discuss with anyone. My dc don't even know my middle name. I think my mom must have been under the influence of anesthesia still when she thought of this. Drug induced insanity? Well, that's the excuse I give anyway.

On the other hand, my SIL was not given a middle name (nor were my husband and his brother). His mother thought life would be so much easier without one, but of course whenever anything legal comes up my husband has to explain, and usually ends up with "NMN" or "NMI" between his first and last name. He picked out the letter "K" as a middle initial just for fun (no name associated with it, LOL) and uses that on things that require a middle name just so he doesn't have to explain, again.

Bev

I am turning 49 in June, and my middle name was Lynn. It was almost my first name (Mom's idea) until Dad had to come up with J.......... (which I HATE, but since my dear DAD picked it I am stuck with it!!@!!)

I dropped the Lynn when I married, and stuck my maiden name in its' place. Bye-bye Lynn, at least.

I'm 43 and it is close...it's Lee. I always hated it! Oh well...I knew a few girls whose middle names were lynn. But I also went toschool and ended up working with so many jennifer...well..that is another thread isn't it?;)

Jenny (lee)

Ugh, mine too. It's also my aunt's and dh's aunt's middle names.

[sorry if this was covered - I didn't read all 8 pages of this thread!]

Does anyone else's family do this - for the girls too?

My parents did this for me, and I always kind of liked it! I wouldn't have minded having a regular first name for my middle name either - in fact, that's what we did for our own girls. But my parents picked family last names for my brother and I for our middle names. It was nice, and it helps us remember our heritage.

So what's my given middle name? Coolidge!

I'm 48 and 2 of my playmates in elementary school, identical twins, were named Donna Lee and Diane Lynn, but they were called by their middle names. My sister's middle name is Marie, which is a very common middle name. Mine, while it's a perfectly good, and very common, middle name, is just so boring, boring, boring with my first name that I won't even write it because I just CRINGE when I hear those 2 names together. But my eldest's middle name is one of the names I really wished I could have been called when I was a kid--Elisabeth (with the s, to be different, since she has a fairly common first name, thanks to dh, who didn't agree to a different kind of a name until ds.

Yup. I'm 34 and my middle name is Lynne. But I'd like to point out the importance of that silent e on the end! It gives it great distinction. (Not!)

Hey now, I like my silent "e." I think it makes the name look a little prettier, somehow.

I'm going to be 37 this year - are you psychic about this middle name thing, Lynn? :lol:

[sorry if this was covered - I didn't read all 8 pages of this thread!]

Does anyone else's family do this - for the girls too?

My parents did this for me, and I always kind of liked it! I wouldn't have minded having a regular first name for my middle name either - in fact, that's what we did for our own girls. But my parents picked family last names for my brother and I for our middle names. It was nice, and it helps us remember our heritage.

So what's my given middle name? Coolidge!

Middle names (for girls) in our family include: Miles, Kirkland and Thompson and there are several of us with the same middle name.

Mine is Doah. Yes, that's right Doah. My mother decided to name me Shenandoah and broke it up so that it would be my first and middle name. When I married I decided to keep my middle name because I thought it would become more difficult for me to explain the purpose and pronounciation behind the S-h-e-n-a-n spelling of my first name.

My first name is obviously Luanne. My middle name is May. My sister is Lanette Kay (she is 48). I named my daughter Rebekah Nicole. I was always glad when I was in school that my middle name wasn't Lynn or Dawn. It seemed like almost everyone elses was.

I did have two friends with long names. One was Marianne Elizabeth Madeline and the other was Diana Maria Angela Catrina. ... plus their last names.

My older sister and I were given very plain first names that almost rhyme, and no middle names. Because of this, I was called by my older sister's name my entire childhood (hers is a more common name). Between that and being left-handed, I felt *so* persecuted as a child. :lol:

My younger two sisters were given lovely names. I guess my mom put her foot down by then, because I think the idea was for us to use our maiden name as our middle name when we married.

I always wanted a beautiful, fluid middle name with lots of syllables, like Mirabella or Alexandria.

Yup. I'm 34 and my middle name is Lynne. But I'd like to point out the importance of that silent e on the end! It gives it great distinction. (Not!)

My middle name is Lynne (with a silent e!), too. I've never met anyone else before who had the silent e. I'm only 29, though.

I turned 44 this month. My middle name is Penelope. Don't laugh.....I have a cousin whose middle name is Prunella, really it is. Singapore was once a British colony. My cousin is half English. Here's her picture: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0630100/

Everyone calls me Penny.

She certainly doesn't look like her middle name is Prunella! I checked her list to see if she's acted with my brother, but she hasn't. Perhaps someday!

I turned 44 this month. My middle name is Penelope. Don't laugh.....I have a cousin whose middle name is Prunella, really it is. Singapore was once a British colony. My cousin is half English. Here's her picture: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0630100/

Everyone calls me Penny.

Not laughing! My goddaughter (I like saying that :D) has just turned one and her name is Penelope.

My stepmother can out-do both of your middle names' though: Petronella.

She certainly doesn't look like her middle name is Prunella! I checked her list to see if she's acted with my brother, but she hasn't. Perhaps someday!

Okay, well now you must tell us who your brother is! It falls under the recipe-must-be-included clause.

My Dad didn't believe in giving middle names to girls. He figured that we would take our maiden name as our middle name when we got married. That's exactly what I did and it is a good thing that I like my maiden name.

I went from having to constantly explain that I don't have a middle initial to having to tell people that my middle name is not part of my last name. You'd think with no hyphen, that would be obvious.

RC

Okay, well now you must tell us who your brother is! It falls under the recipe-must-be-included clause.

His middle name is Eric. This is a thread about middle names, isn't it;)? But there are 2 problems with giving out his name.

1. He acts under our birth name (my maiden name), and it's not that common of a name, so TMI. No one would choose that name as a screen name! Also, he likes to keep his private life private, and only lists where he was born, not where he grew up, etc.

2. His latest series, in which he's finally a lead, has been picked up by CBS, so there is a small possibility he may become famous once it's on, after all these years, and I don't want to be connected to anyone famous. No guarantees of course, as many series bite the dust very early. I have brought him up on the high school board & forum when someone has a dc who is interested in becoming a screen actor to help prepare them for the toughness and reality of what it's like and what it takes. He just happened to be liked and get roles, but has mostly had rejections.

Believe me, he's probably no one you've ever heard of because he's far from famous. He's not on any of Hollywood's lists (you know A, B, C,). Most professional actors/actresses are like he is--unknowns.

2. His latest series, in which he's finally a lead, has been picked up by CBS, so there is a small possibility he may become famous once it's on, after all these years, and I don't want to be connected to anyone famous. No guarantees of course, as many series bite the dust very early. I have brought him up on the high school board & forum when someone has a dc who is interested in becoming a screen actor to help prepare them for the toughness and reality of what it's like and what it takes. He just happened to be liked and get roles, but has mostly had rejections.

How exciting for him that it's been picked up! I hope it works out...best of luck to Whoever Eric Whomever! ;)