Menu

Do you ever just quit?

~Amanda~

I don't know what to do. This is my first year homeschooling, and we've struggled quite a bit. we had a rocky start, we restarted several things... so we are behind. If we continue... it could a year-round session. I'm tempted to just quit for the summer. OTOH, if I quit now, then I'll have to pick up where we left off instead of starting next year fresh. I just don't know what to do!!

:grouphug::grouphug: the first year is a nightmare. There's a huge learning curve. Don't burn out. Take a few weeks off, and then school through the summer half days. Stop at 11 and spend the rest of the day having fun. Whatever you do, don't let you or the kids burn out-protect yourselves from that.

The first year is the hardest but it gets easier, at least for me it did. We school year-round and take a casual approach. I take off whenever I want, so yes sometimes I feel like quitting and I do for a day or two, sometimes a week or more. Then we get refreshed and get right back to it. ;)

:iagree: We are behind right now because we took off (a few months :tongue_smilie:) around the birth of ds4. We are planning on working casually through the summer to "catch up.". It is mostly because we are all excited to move on to new material and I don't want to skip too much. Otherwise I am fine with being "behind.". I did choose to narrow a few things that I felt I could. For example, I chopped off the plant section at the end of life science for ds because he just did it in K and we talk about it when we plant things anyway. I also thinned out some lessons in WWE2 since ds is doing well. But my ultimate goal is to be at then of third grade by next summer. We are just a little over half way through second grade now. We'll see. :001_smile:

Thanks for all the replies, pretty much what I figured. I just can't get my kids motivated; they don't care about this material. LOL. we are doing chemistry (which we started late) and we are doing ancients this year... so I feel like we have to finish the ancients to pick up on history next year, but I dont' even think they will notice :rolleyes: I just odn't know.

I've considered year round. I've also considered the path we are taking is not quite right for us; we've taken time off and tried child led, but I didn't feel like they were into it... I want them to learn stuff for fun, but at the same time, I don't want to completely ruin them in case I can't do this! ROFL and the more I do this, the less I want them to go to PS, but DS was asking about it the other day...

The first year is the hardest but it gets easier, at least for me it did. We school year-round and take a casual approach. I take off whenever I want, so yes sometimes I feel like quitting and I do for a day or two, sometimes a week or more. Then we get refreshed and get right back to it. ;)

me too.

Guest Dulcimeramy

Don't worry about missing the tail end of your ancients study. If your oldest is only in fifth grade, they'll all get to revisit ancient history.

Far more important to solidify your plan and start again from a position of strength, IMO.

What are you using for the 3 R's, and how is that going?

We are using MM for math, I'm not certain its working... I need something less "self taught" but I have no idea what to go with

I'm using AAS, WWE, and LLATL for the other stuff; trying to catch up with AAS from the beginning to where they are now, and same with WWE. I'm not sure I like LLATL, but don't know what else to use lol

If children are not naturally self-led, then I think mom needs to pick a curriculum that excites HER and to TEACH it.

We homeschooled year round. Half days in the summer and in December, with 10 day breaks following the local PS schedule.

I preferred ungraded materials that focused on skills not knowledge. I covered knowledge haphazardly with documentaries during snack time and during free reading.

What is your spiritual background?

If children are not naturally self-led, then I think mom needs to pick a curriculum that excites HER and to TEACH it.

We homeschooled year round. Half days in the summer and in December, with 10 day breaks following the local PS schedule.

I preferred ungraded materials that focused on skills not knowledge. I covered knowledge haphazardly with documentaries during snack time and during free reading.

What is your spiritual background?

we are... not christian, lol, but we believe in god? I don't know, we are sort of up in the air as far as that goes.

The first year is the hardest. I don't know what you mean by "behind" but I do know we homeschool moms tend to be hard on ourselves. I would just continue working part time through the summer on the three R's and then start fresh in the fall.:grouphug:

You might like to explore the idea of Waldorf rhythms. A lot of Waldorf is a pagan and liberal Christian mix, with a lot of focus on the rhythms of the day and the seasons.

Trying to convert to a Waldorf curriculum at this late date would be an exercise in frustration, but reading a few of the preschool books focusing on homelife and adding in some arts and crafts and festivals and healthy cooking might bring a focus to your days, and center your family. School goes easier in families with a spiritual base.

I just can't get my kids motivated; they don't care about this material. LOL. we are doing chemistry (which we started late) and we are doing ancients this year... so I feel like we have to finish the ancients to pick up on history next year, but I dont' even think they will notice

Don't worry about missing the tail end of your ancients study. If your oldest is only in fifth grade, they'll all get to revisit ancient history.

Exactly. You'll hit chemistry again, too.

Are they burned out on the material, or burned out because they can't see the end in sight? If you don't know where the finish line is going to be it can be tremendously frustrating for everyone. No one will even feel like trying. So for the summer, if you need to play catch up, or just plan on going through the summer to work on skills it might help to have the calender in full view. You could tell them that you are going to school for three weeks, work hard, meet goals and then you are going to spend a week doing (insert favorite place to go play, camp, amusement park, etc.) Be sure that the amount of work you intend to cover is about 3/4 of what you think they can do, because you want them to make the deadline.

Get through what you think you need to get through for the rest of the year and take late July and August off if you can to assess where you are, and what worked, what didn't work etc. The children might also be able to shed some light on what they liked or hated, but don't let them comment on it until they've had about three weeks off to relax.

There are a lot of curriculum options out there to look at, but it doesn't pay, and can cost, to go looking before you know what you should be looking for.

We are using MM for math, I'm not certain its working... I need something less "self taught" but I have no idea what to go with

I'm using AAS, WWE, and LLATL for the other stuff; trying to catch up with AAS from the beginning to where they are now, and same with WWE. I'm not sure I like LLATL, but don't know what else to use lol

You could try MEP, it's free so you wouldn't be out much if it didn't work for you. It is more teacher led and is a solid program. Otherwise, I would recommend Singapore.

I would take a break (1-2 weeks), enjoy the beautiful spring weather, reconnect with your kids at just the "mom" level, then pick back up. You can have talks with your older children about why their education is so important and try to come up with a plan that helps them earn extra time to do things they want to do once their schoolwork is complete.

If you pulled them out of public/private, they sometimes need some time to decompress and in some ways "de-school" themselves.

:grouphug:

Sometimes I quit. For a couple of days. Right now I'm really having a hard time of life.... bad allergies, mild depression, Little League.... so, basically, we're doin' the basics. Readin', Writin' and 'Rithmetic. Sometimes I get in an "all or nothing" mentality for homeschooling and it doesn't have to be all or nothing. It can be no-frills for a couple of weeks and still be school.

I would quit and start fresh next year. ::shrug::

That's what PS do when they don't finish things on time. The world won't end if you only do half of ancient history (or fill in the blank) your first time through. Even most three R programs like grammar and spelling review in the next years material. Some people actually plan to skip either the first or last few weeks of a math program because it is so redundant.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Amanda--We always get SPRING FEVER this time of year, so I just *PLAN* on quitting. I call it May Term, and we just do something totally different for a month. We'll take off maybe a month after that and then jump back in.

So no, you don't have to ditch your stuff. You just do something different for this month and resume in the summer where you were. The world will NOT end, lol.

Is there something you haven't been getting to that you and your littles would like to do? Art? Some science labs? Do that! Nothing else, just that one fun thing. But do a whole bunch of it, like 2 or 3 art projects each day. Do your art in the morning, then go to the park the rest of the day. Seriously. That's what May is for. :)

Amanda--We always get SPRING FEVER this time of year, so I just *PLAN* on quitting. I call it May Term, and we just do something totally different for a month. We'll take off maybe a month after that and then jump back in.

So no, you don't have to ditch your stuff. You just do something different for this month and resume in the summer where you were. The world will NOT end, lol.

Is there something you haven't been getting to that you and your littles would like to do? Art? Some science labs? Do that! Nothing else, just that one fun thing. But do a whole bunch of it, like 2 or 3 art projects each day. Do your art in the morning, then go to the park the rest of the day. Seriously. That's what May is for. :)

I love that idea. we should do our science experiments, since those always hit a back burner because of the littles.

At about this time at the end of my first year we quit with the plan to start fresh with next years material on July 1st. It was absolutely the right choice for us. We were tired and needed a break. I needed time to process what was working and what didn't and make a new and better plan.

At about this time at the end of my first year we quit with the plan to start fresh with next years material on July 1st. It was absolutely the right choice for us. We were tired and needed a break. I needed time to process what was working and what didn't and make a new and better plan.

:thumbup:

I am honestly surprised that more people aren't telling you to quit. I have seen many people told to "de-school" their whole first year.

I don't know what to do. This is my first year homeschooling, and we've struggled quite a bit. we had a rocky start, we restarted several things... so we are behind. If we continue... it could a year-round session. I'm tempted to just quit for the summer. OTOH, if I quit now, then I'll have to pick up where we left off instead of starting next year fresh. I just don't know what to do!!

I've had years like that and they weren't even my first. :glare:

I would quit for the summer everything but math and I would require my dc to read a book a week. If you have a young one I'd do phonics or have them just read to me a little every day depending where they're at. If you're close to the end of your school books I would consider calling it good and getting new books for the fall especially content books. If you've still got a chunk left in spelling/grammar you can just pick up where you left off. We do this too. There are other ways to make the school-year "new" while still using old books. Some books can be new like history/science, new school supplies, a new schedule, or new room lay-out, etc.

We had a late start this year because of our move and things have gone slower than planned. We had a lot of curriculum changes after we started and they haven't all worked out so well. I plan on continuing the school year until the PS here gets out (June 20) and then we are going to ditch everything except Math and LA. We really need to take a break and then start fresh next year.

:iagree:

Year-round might be a good option for you. I do 3 weeks on, 1 off, year-round. We do our breaks back-to-back sometimes if we need more than a week off.

I think that when you're struggling about what to use, about not getting stuff done, etc. - those feelings have to be far worse than just choosing something you can actually do every day. Maybe the expectations or the idea of doing school in some certain way, is just out of reach? You want for it to look and feel a certain way, but when you can't make that happen, then the guilt comes in that you're not getting anything done.... at some point you've got to give yourself some relief.

Sit down, look at your goals for at least a couple/few years, and choose curriculum that you don't dread teaching. Most of the stuff I use only takes about 20 minutes per day (per subject). History and science take a bit longer, but the rest are subjects that we check off the list. I don't care - I just want to say we did it, and it's done.

If you need to focus on the 3R's while you refocus, do it. I would at least get that done. I would not quit cold turkey, and start summer unless you are going to really take that time to plan and get school figured out for your kids. But if you do, I'd definitely try and get it together for next year, and commit to whatever plan you make. :001_smile:

Thanks for all the replies, pretty much what I figured. I just can't get my kids motivated; they don't care about this material. LOL. we are doing chemistry (which we started late) and we are doing ancients this year... so I feel like we have to finish the ancients to pick up on history next year, but I dont' even think they will notice :rolleyes: I just odn't know.

At the ages you've got? I would SKIP. IT!! Chemistry and ancients will come around again. Do NOT sweat it.

Just my .02

I'd quit too, except I'd have my kids listen to the SOTW cds to finish up history for the year and try to hit math a few times a week. Find a few fun read alouds for the summer. Don't worry -- the first year is hard, but it does get easier.

Stay on top of the 3Rs and get those done. Drop history/science until next fall, or at least take a long break from it. I agree with SOTW CDs - just listen to them in the car or something. They'll hear the material, and you can move on to the next thing next year, maybe picking a different curriculum that might interest your kids more (first try to figure out what exactly they didn't like about what you did this year).

I would focus on skills and developing a love for reading at this point, and if they have been in ps previously, the love of reading may have been squashed for a bit. So focus on that if they don't love it - find books they will enjoy (below their reading level just a tad to make them easy to read), and throw in some history/science books that are interesting (not sure what to recommend for your kids' ages, but I know there are tons of 3rd grade level history and science readers that are interesting... don't know if that'd be too babyish for 4th and 5th or not?).

It's ok to take a break, and it's ok to skip history/science for a bit. They'll hit ancients again. ;)

what do I do about ds asking to go back to school for next year? We pulled out for several reasons, but one was that he was constantly in trouble, and I didn't necessarily agree on the punishment, or even the fact that he was in trouble in the first place.he was bored, and was expressing that in being disruptive.

Guest Dulcimeramy

I would just have a mom-to-boy talk about the realities you are dealing with.

#1. Public school did nothing to contribute to his life in a positive way, so that option is off the table.

#2. Homeschooling is supposed to be fun and interesting and effective, but obviously people have to learn how to do it and we're still learning. It is only a matter of time until we are brilliant homeschoolers.

And then let him in on brainstorming about future homeschooling adventures. Get out some paper and pencils, or write on a white board with him.

What does he want to learn about? (aliens, knights and castles, bridges, stars, etc.) Where does he want to go? (Museums, camping, planetarium, etc.) What new things does he want to learn about, now that he has more time as a homeschooler? (Canoeing, rock climbing, playing an instrument, growing a garden, etc.)

what do I do about ds asking to go back to school for next year? We pulled out for several reasons, but one was that he was constantly in trouble, and I didn't necessarily agree on the punishment, or even the fact that he was in trouble in the first place.he was bored, and was expressing that in being disruptive.

Assuming it is not your plan to return him to school next year, tell him that you don't think that's the best choice now, but that you would like his input so that your homeschool can fit him well.

Stay on top of the 3Rs and get those done. Drop history/science until next fall, or at least take a long break from it. I agree with SOTW CDs - just listen to them in the car or something. They'll hear the material, and you can move on to the next thing next year, maybe picking a different curriculum that might interest your kids more (first try to figure out what exactly they didn't like about what you did this year).

I would focus on skills and developing a love for reading at this point, and if they have been in ps previously, the love of reading may have been squashed for a bit. So focus on that if they don't love it - find books they will enjoy (below their reading level just a tad to make them easy to read), and throw in some history/science books that are interesting (not sure what to recommend for your kids' ages, but I know there are tons of 3rd grade level history and science readers that are interesting... don't know if that'd be too babyish for 4th and 5th or not?).

It's ok to take a break, and it's ok to skip history/science for a bit. They'll hit ancients again. ;)

:iagree: Perfect advice!

This is a great time to evaluate what you wanted them to know for the year. I learned that it is VERY important to write goals at the beginning of the year for each child concerning the 3R's. That way at the end of the school year it is easy to drop what they already know and is just busy work and figure out what to let go and what to shore up before starting new curriculum. We ALL have spring fever, so I am also doing more fun or whole body learning right now and less table work. But still meeting the goals just in different ways.

Amanda, while I know people handle this different ways, in our house dd hasn't had a say. I might even entertain a request from her in the future, but that would be coming from a very different perspective, a bit older, with rational reasons she could list. For a 9 yo just to say he wants to go back to school doesn't cut it.

However what I WOULD do is sit down with your kids and allow for some feedback. You could start a thread on this or do some board searches about how people do this. People have opinions, and their feedback, while sometimes skewed, can help us see things we missed. Some people will do it as a written questionaire. Some people will do a journal or written form where they talk about what they liked this year, what they didn't, and what they'd like to see change. I just sit down and TALK with my dd. For us, this is something we usually do periodically, maybe 3 times a year. Does the frequency surprise you? Seriously, kids keep growing, and their emotional needs change. It's good to change with them.

Things kids often want changed?

-more structure

-more efficiency

-clearer expectations

-not waiting around for siblings

-materials that aren't a good fit

-methodology that has gotten boring

-holes in our coverage (no art, not enough hands-on)

-frustrations you didn't realize

-special requests like time alone or to work in their room or that sibling noise is bothering them or that they want to start earlier or rearrange the daily schedule

-wanting friends, outside activities, or more time socializing

These are all things you can draw out of them to let them help you teach them better, kwim? There have to be ground rules about HOW they talk to you. For instance, in our house I *try* to enforce the teaching of prefacing "Why?" with "May I please ASK why..." Much better, eh? And I usually start it by saying that *I* have the final decision but that we welcome her feedback to make the process go better and would like to know if there are things she is frustrated with that we can do better. What subjects are working particularly well? What are not?

So I would change it from the blank, juvenile decision (I want to go back to school) to working together to make changes. There's a LOT you can flex, even with a number of kids. I write down what she says on paper to show I really care, then I tell her to let me think about that and see what I can do. I don't let her think of the solution (unless she already has a suggestion), and I DON'T ask her if my solution will work. I merely elicit feedback, like an end of convention survey, hehe.

For us, that has been good. Nuts, it hasn't been good; it has been ESSENTIAL. I suppose you could say it backfired and made her opinionated. However you're already customizing, and they know it. Some of their feedback really will be helpful. And my *guess* is at least half the comments will fall into the range of those things I listed. Those are totally fixable things on our part, kwim? We can provide the structure and efficiency and flexibility that will help them flourish. We can give them more alone time or more time with peers as needed. No need to have conflicts and frustration over stuff like that. I save the conflicts for things I can't change, like movies we don't watch. :)

Edited by OhElizabeth

I very strongly encourage you to QUIT and take up where you left off in the Fall! :) You want to love what you are doing, not burn out on it. You also want your kids to love it too. Homeschool should feel like a big benefit to your kids, not a burden. The biggest and most important lesson you can give/teach your kids is how to love learning! If you give them that gift, it will last a lifetime, and they will learn more on their own than you could ever "teach" them!

It will all come together next Fall, and you will find that you aren't as behind as you thought!

If you are worried, you could do "secret school" this Summer. ;) Get out some fun science experiments (like watching soda explode when you put a Mentho inside), take them to the library, read a great book to them out loud. Do things that you know are "school" , but they will think are fun.

Biggest and best advice I have, though, and a lesson I need to take in myself...DON'T BURN YOU AND YOUR KIDS OUT!!! Remember what is truly most important in life. Enjoy your kids! Enjoy summer! They will have too many years ahead of them as adults with jobs, when summer will be just hot months that you still have to go to work!

Edited by lovelaughs_times_three

we're behind quite a bit because both kiddo and I were sick alot after first of the year....I 'PLAN' on working through the summer-just to see how much more we can get done...if we don't get it all done I'm planning to keep going and just start the next "grade" whenever we get done....some things I'm starting over with the new grade and just concentrating on finishing the MOST IMPORTANT stuff now.....

You could try MEP, it's free so you wouldn't be out much if it didn't work for you. It is more teacher led and is a solid program.

I was going to recommend taking a look at MEP too. It's a great program, and it's free, so definitely worth considering.

I wouldn't quit math if they are behind in it, but we take math pretty seriously around here.

What I think I would do in your situation is to keep doing math, and do tons of reading for the summer. Your kids are definitely not too old for you to be reading aloud to them, so I would make sure to have a fun family reading time every day using really great books. Have them read a lot on their own, too, at a level that is comfortable for them. Also, continue reading your history book aloud to them, but don't feel like you have to make it schooly with quizzes and activities - just read it and talk about it.

At this age, if you can instill a love of reading, and develop their math skills, you've accomplished a LOT!

Amanda, we went to year round school for just this problem. We need a week off a month, as much for me as the kids. Getting to take a week every month and still having a few weeks to take for longer vacations has dropped the stress and the number of days that end in pure frustration.

hth

When I am feeling the way you do, I usually just take a week break and then I am ready to get going again. Maybe a week off and then finish up your year just doing what little that needs to be done. I was very lucky and our first year was one of our easiest. I was expecting the worse since that is what everyone told me. This year was our worst year! I finally determined it to be the fact that I took on a part time babysitting job to earn some extra money (for vacation, Christmas, boys sports, and school stuff). But, it is not worth it when I can't educate my kids the way we need too. Life is much better now!

This is my second year teaching my boys, and what has been helpful for me when I get worried that we are not "keeping up", is to go back and see how much we have done. I do not look at the volume of material, but how their skills have improved-their writing is beautiful now and they write longer peices for copywork, their narrations have increased in scope and frequency, their math facts show better recall and greater confidence, and their reading is measured by their own progress in their reader and in the quality and complexity of the literature we are reading. Their history narrations and recall are better and they are showing more interest in their science by what they are chosing to get at the library for their own browsing.

To be sure, I'd love for them to have covered more in science (we are on pace with math, writing and grammar) and they are not through their history, not even near. But, they are now more capable of comprehending what they read through the focus on skills, not content.

I do plan to go through summer to work on our reading and spelling, but I'm going to stay skill focused, not as much content focused for these young years.

DON'T BURN YOU AND YOUR KIDS OUT!!! Remember what is truly most important in life. Enjoy your kids! Enjoy summer! They will have too many years ahead of them as adults with jobs, when summer will be just hot months that you still have to go to work!

This is a great point.

History and science aren't like math and language arts. You really can pick up just about anywhere, go off on new tangents etc. and still cover the material. The 4-year history cycle is great but certainly not the only way to successfully teach history.

If you were behind in the 3 R,s I'd say to keep going or take a break if you must and pick up where you left off. But if it is just science and history, and your kids are not interested, I'd quit for now and maybe try something new when you start up school again.

Susan in TX

During the summer, we take our work outside and do it on a blanket or set up a tent. Since we're doing only a small amount of formal, it makes it extra-fun. Reading never stops. Just keep going to the library and throwing books at them. :)

The first year was the hardest on my son! He missed going to PS so much that he was acting depressed. We made sure he got to see his friends, and we do scouts and go to church with some of them. I also found him a new friend at the beginning of our second year that also homeschooled. I worked with the other mom and we made sure our boys did a lot together that year. That was a big help! He soon forgot about PS! Sometimes I have to remind him why homeschooling is better and tell him that if he was in PS it would be done "this way" and he soon realizes he has it better at home. My youngest never went to PS and has no interest.

:grouphug::grouphug: the first year is a nightmare. There's a huge learning curve. Don't burn out. Take a few weeks off, and then school through the summer half days. Stop at 11 and spend the rest of the day having fun. Whatever you do, don't let you or the kids burn out-protect yourselves from that.

This poster is right. Many have been. My fellow homeschooler, the first year is the PITS. The second is a little better and before you know it you are in a groove for your family. We switched curriculum a ton the first few years learning what I liked, what they like, how they learned, how I enjoyed teaching, etc. It's okay.

Take a week or two off to regroup if you need to. May I suggest our schedule:

6 weeks on, 1 week off. 2 weeks at Christmas (or winter break if you are secular or of another faith), and then about 6-8 weeks off during the summer. By spreading it out like this, you get a regular chance to breath, take field trips, cook ahead, do a house project, doctors appts, catch up on things that don't have to do with school. I used to ALWAYS burn out prior to starting this schedule and now, school is no big deal.

Hang in there. Don't beat yourself up. Stick to the basics: reading, writing, math. Kick the electives to the side if you need to. They'll see all that stuff again.

:grouphug: