Menu

If Money were no object......

Lots more ready made science kits so I wouldn't have to piece meal it together all the time.

I'd would put my kids in some online classes like LTOW or Bravewriter.

I'd buy the books I want instead of trying to do the library. Ditto regular books- I would just buy new without trying to find what I want at an affordable price. I would just buy one of everything so I could really compare.

I'd buy everyone in the family an ipad.

Lots more field trips, camps, etc.

I'd put my kids in a real art and music class.

Pretty much what we're doing! But I would buy lots more science and lab supplies. :)

:iagree:

And I'd buy the full set of those Cambridge history books. I bought one to try to see if it was a good level, and my dd kept herself up late reading it.

I'd also have floor-ceiling bookshelves installed and aresilent flooring so I don't have to worry so much about art science messes. ooh. I'd love a kick wheel for pottery and a kiln. :D

I wouldn't change any of our methods or materials.

And I'd buy the full set of those Cambridge history books. I bought one to try to see if it was a good level, and my dd kept herself up late reading it.

I'd also have floor-ceiling bookshelves installed and aresilent flooring so I don't have to worry so much about art science messes. ooh. I'd love a kick wheel for pottery and a kiln. :D

I wouldn't change any of our methods or materials.

I will regret asking this, but what Cambridge history books?

I will regret asking this, but what Cambridge history books?

See. You have to understand. I really need another pot of coffee. I typed the wrong univeristy. It is the Oxford history set. The World in Ancient TImes. She read The Ancient Near Eastern World over the weekend. I really don't want to spend that much money on the set only to have her breeze through them like they are beach reads, unless it is hypothetical money.

Completely unrelated, but she found about a dozen Time-Life Great Ages Of Man hardbacks at the library sale this weekend. She has great plans for them over the summer.

Edited by Karen in CO

See. You have to understand. I really need another pot of coffee. I typed the wrong univeristy. It is the Oxford history set. The World in Ancient TImes. She read The Ancient Near Eastern World over the weekend. I really don't want to spend that much money on the set only to have her breeze through them like they are beach reads, unless it is hypothetical money.

Completely unrelated, but she found about a dozen Time-Life Great Ages Of Man hardbacks at the library sale this weekend. She has great plans for them over the summer.

Oh thank goodness. I have been there and done that. Have you seen the vintage Horizon Caraval books? My youngest (the non-reader) loves these so I have growing, rather battered collection that could probably never be resold. He just finished Constantinople and is going for either the Shakespeare or the Medici book next.

I agree - Travel.

We are studying the American Revolution - pop go to Boston!

Study the gold rush - go to California

Study whales - go whale watching.

I would also hire a foreign language tutor for every day (that we are not traveling)

Floor to Ceiling bookcases in every room including the kitchen and bathroom. I'd vent the bathroom and just store easy reading in there.

20 volume Oxford Dictionary

Loeb Classics

Britannica Great Books

Current editions of ALL the major encyclopedias collections

Bill Nye Videos

Lots of Teaching Company DVDs

More Bible reference books.

Lots more books on using picture books with older students and the picture books listed in them

Waldorf art supplies

Oh thank goodness. I have been there and done that. Have you seen the vintage Horizon Caraval books? My youngest (the non-reader) loves these so I have growing, rather battered collection that could probably never be resold. He just finished Constantinople and is going for either the Shakespeare or the Medici book next.

You're a bad, bad person. :tongue_smilie: I refuse to look at anymore vintage history books.

My plan for next year is to just ignore history and let her read whatever interests her historically. She's already decided that she prefers to study history in order. I just plan to make sure she does a fair amount of reading each day and summarizes it in her history notebook. I think I can probably get away with this and the library for a few years.

1) Travel!

2) an RV to tour the states and then off to Europe and then South America

trip to Egypt and Israel

3) highly educated, experienced, passionate tutors for French, science, high school level+ math, piano...

4) just one more room with floor to ceiling bookshelves to fit a few more books!

Edited by yvonne

I like what I have chosen so far.....but I would like some of the "extra" stuff for note-booking pages, new computer, field trips etc etc.

Newer Car for road trips

SLR Camera

Ipad's

Tutor for French [we could just go visit family in Canada for awhile] and Spanish

memberships to all the museums in Chicago

Edited by my3luvbugs990105

I would probably use the same curric, but I'd put the kids in all the extracurriculars we could fit in: Karate, swimming, gymnastics, music, art, etc.

My dream curriculum actually has nothing to do with money, but I would use SL or another lit based program if I were the one learning. It has taken me a while to finally realize it's just not a good fit for my kids!

If all homeschooling materials were free: Rosetta Stone, Teaching Textbooks, Sonlight Science, Phonics Road all of the WWE workbooks and what I am doing... A combo of HOD, WinterPromise, Sonlight and my own thing (unfortunately I haven't found anything perfect as is. Secular things are not as interesting. If money were no object I would go ahead and buy the full packages and go from there.)

If all homeschooling materials were free I would also want to look at Handwriting Without Tears, Epi Kardia, all of Nebel's books and TOG.

If money were no object I would get DD in to some experts for her LDs, anxiety, etc.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

If we had unlimited funds:

• get an official ADHD diagnosis and some medications for my youngest
  • buy all the science books I like instead of using the library
  • buy more science experiment kits
  • membership to the local science museum, and take weekly visits there
  • possibly supplement with Life of Fred, if time permitted
  • more DVD supplements for science and history
  • more Shakespeare DVDs
  • buy music for composer study instead of borrowing from the library
  • a Kindle for each child
  • new bike for my daughter (hers got left in our driveway by a neighbor child who thought he was being helpful by moving it from the front yard last summer, and I ran over it when backing out of the driveway)
  • tutoring/teaching for upper level math classes (trig and calculus--my second son did trig completely on his own, and had to drop calculus after 3 months this year because Saxon teaching made no sense to him and we couldn't afford anything else)
  • music lessons

An older-kid version of SOTW meets SL w/ a TOG flair, but all secular (or neutral).

An open-ended acct w/ Amazon for supplementary activities, books, games, etc.

A larger house.

A really nice family to come use our space & supplies & hs w/ us everyday--for friendship & accountability (I'd never stay in my pjs if someone were coming over...um...not that I ever do that).

Obviously someone else to cook dinner.

Really. Nice. furniture to hold it all so it looks like the kindergarten classrooms in the picture books that try to tell kids School is Great.

I don't think there's a particular book or curric I'd do w/out right now if I were *sure* we needed it, but having the financial space to give things a try w/out guilt would be great.

And the Oxford series? I've bought it a piece at a time for less than $10 a book in most cases. That's not too bad. My library only has 2 vol--Egypt & Rome. :lol:

An older-kid version of SOTW meets SL w/ a TOG flair, but all secular (or neutral).

An open-ended acct w/ Amazon for supplementary activities, books, games, etc.

A larger house.

A really nice family to come use our space & supplies & hs w/ us everyday--for friendship & accountability (I'd never stay in my pjs if someone were coming over...um...not that I ever do that).

Obviously someone else to cook dinner.

Really. Nice. furniture to hold it all so it looks like the kindergarten classrooms in the picture books that try to tell kids School is Great.

I don't think there's a particular book or curric I'd do w/out right now if I were *sure* we needed it, but having the financial space to give things a try w/out guilt would be great.

And the Oxford series? I've bought it a piece at a time for less than $10 a book in most cases. That's not too bad. My library only has 2 vol--Egypt & Rome. :lol:

I love it! The bolded really stood out to me.

Why are they so pricey? :(

Hmmm...

• annual Subscription to Oxford English Dictionary online, renewed automatically every year
  • unlimited DVDs for The Great Courses Teaching Company (and I've never even gotten one, I just know it would be a dangerous addiction once I start)
  • reliable pet sitting for our four pets so we could travel more, and then have DH be able to take off from work at least 4 times a year, 2-4 weeks at a time, to travel somewhere related to our studies
  • organic, gourmet, vegetarian chef everyday and a raw foods chef occasionally

a ton of fun gadgets from Think Geek

School t-shirts from think Geek

Hehe, that would be great too. I used to buy from that store when I was more of a techy geek.

Edited by Satori

The prices of those Oxford sets go up and down. I bought one of the sets last summer for around $89 from Amazon, new. The price just happened to be way down that particular week. If you're interested in nabbing a set eventually, put it in your Amazon cart and keep watching it for price fluctuations.

I would continue with MFW, and have ALL the best books to go with each year for in the book basket (pulling books from sonlight, HOD and winter promise for the book basket)

This is what I'm doing now! :tongue_smilie:

Travel would be my curriculum!

And I would just buy books instead of using the library---because if money were not an issue for curriculum I would have a house that could hold my own personal library, right?

Yes! Travel. I keep trying to convince DH that now that he is retired we should sell the house, buy an RV and travel America, but he won't go for it. He is a packrat and the idea of not having his stuff is just too much for him. So if I were dreaming, I could afford both our homelife and a huge RV with the extra expense of traveling all over America for months at at time with our laptops, nooks, and a few well chosen supplies and Road school. I read blogs of people who do this and drool.

I'd purchase an entire library of TOG resource books and upcoming year plans and the whole works so I have it all at my fingertips at one time whenever I need it. Included with that would be all the Apologia science courses for the next few years, a microscope and I'd add lab space to our school area. I think I might also set up a new computer center just for dd, which would include a big screen iMac and a color laser printer. Absolutely, we'd travel and take tons of field trips. I'd also hire a private tutor for foreign languages.

Awwww - do I have to wake up now?

Blessings,

Lucinda