Menu

Coffee junkies, WWYD if it turned out that coffee gave you heartburn?

Unfortunately, this is the problem I'm having. I spent most of the day feeling like someone was sitting on my chest :( I've been trying to cut back, but I feel so flat and miserable and foggy headed without caffeine.

WWYD? Quit? Find some alternative?

TIA!

I would search high and low for a good organic coffee that totally agreed with me before EVER giving up my favorite beverage!!!!! Seriously--some coffees are extremely bitter or plain bad beans. I have a new brand called Cafe Altura that I order off of Amazon in 2lb bags. Organic, tastes heavenly and rich and no shakiness, heartburn or other annoying side effects :D

I would search high and low for a good organic coffee that totally agreed with me before EVER giving up my favorite beverage!!!!! Seriously--some coffees are extremely bitter or plain bad beans. I have a new brand called Cafe Altura that I order off of Amazon in 2lb bags. Organic, tastes heavenly and rich and no shakiness, heartburn or other annoying side effects :D

:iagree:

I was going to suggest switching brands!

Do you like tea? That would be my first and least painful suggestion. There are many flavors and some teas have more caffeine than coffee as well as health benefits.

You could try OJ for a pick-me-up in the AM, or you could try a noncaffeinated vitamin drink.

You could add some milk to your coffee to quell the acid.

Many people report having more energy and feeling better after (going through the withdrawls of) quitting coffee.

Incidentally, feeling like someone is sitting on your chest may not be from acid/heartburn. Are you sure that's all it is?

Huh! I've always read that it's the caffeine itself that does it to you, so I don't know that it would matter whether it was from pills or another brand of coffee. I'll have to check on that!

I think that not all caffeine is equal----simply because Starbucks makes us very jittery and my new brand doesn't---even with 5 cups. What kind of coffee is it that you drink?

Incidentally, feeling like someone is sitting on your chest may not be from acid/heartburn. Are you sure that's all it is?

Yes, definitely. The old GERD and I are well acquainted, unfortunately. Though I forgot that I've been eating wheat again, and that aggravates it too, hmmm.

Yes, definitely. The old GERD and I are well acquainted, unfortunately. Though I forgot that I've been eating wheat again, and that aggravates it too, hmmm.

It's the wheat! Don't blame the poor coffee... :D

Try mixing half reg coffee and half caffiene free- I did this last summer when I discovered I had high blood pressure. I had tons more energy! Don't try and go cold turkey right away though- that's just painful!

If it's the acid that bothers you, you can try brewing low-acid coffee. Here's a link:

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/low-acid-coffee.html

Yes, I was going to suggest the cold brew method. There was a thread about it here a few months ago, it is sooooo smooth, the taste is awesome.

My GERD comes and goes but wheat and carby food in general definitely make it flare-up. I'm fine with coffee (whew).

I'd give up wheat before I gave up coffee.:tongue_smilie: (And I eat gluten free so I know what that entails.;)) I would do whatever I had to do (change brands, cut back to half caff, etc before I quit. Coffee in moderation has health benefits.:D)

I'd give up wheat before I gave up coffee.:tongue_smilie: (And I eat gluten free so I know what that entails.;)) I would do whatever I had to do (change brands, cut back to half caff, etc before I quit. Coffee in moderation has health benefits.:D)

:iagree:

I love my coffee and don't know how I could give it up!

Cry and then start drinking my Bailey's straight. :tongue_smilie:

No, really it would depend on why I was drinking it. If you are sumply looking for the caffiene then you can buy caffiene pills. If it is for the taste try one of the International instant coffees. They are a little smoother and less likely to cause hot burn. If that doesn't work, try hot chocolate or maybe even hot tea.

Try a latte. I can only handle one cup of coffee a day but a latte or cappuccino doesn't bother me. Tea actually gives me worse heartburn than coffee for some reason.

Yes! I forgot to mention that earlier. The acid bothers me in many coffees so I look for low-acid versions, but a latte also works very well. :001_smile: Actually, I prefer a latte to coffee with cream.

If it's the acid that bothers you, you can try brewing low-acid coffee. Here's a link:

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/low-acid-coffee.html

:iagree: This worked for me! I switched to cold press coffee for about 6-9 months, and worked on lowering my stress levels and increasing my exercise.

Now I'm back drinking regular coffee (b/c my dh never switched and it was just easier for me to switch back). But I'd go back to the cold press in a heartbeat if I started having problems again.

Anne

I wish I had a coffee alternative. I have really bad reflux. Before then I used to drink several cups of coffee a day. I have been able to switch to unsweet iced tea and really enjoy it more than coffee now. If I stick to 1 to 2 cups of tea each morning I have no problem.

Millstone coffee gives me really bad heartburn; haven't had a problem since I switched brands. Hope it's something simple for you!

Start analyzing it.

Do you grind it yourself? What roast? Is it a particular brand? Are you drinking enough water?

Some coffee brands have not wanted to raise prices so they've used cheaper beans in their formulas. Yucko. You may have to kick it up a notch.

Preground is sprayed with a preservative that I can taste and smell a mile away-and it gives me *wicked* heartburn. Stay away from it.

Hope you find what it is!

http://www.amazon.com/Pero-Instant-Natural-Beverage-Canisters/dp/B000ESLJ6C/ref=pd_sim_gro_1

I've tried them all and this is the best tasting substitute. Inka and Cafix have some ingredient like beets in them that make them all taste the same.

You could also try Morning Thunder, which has caffeine.

I thought coffee was giving me heartburn. I gave it up. Heartburn didn't go away, and it was the most depressing 2 months of the last 10 years. I use pepcid generic, now. Sorry.