Menu

What did you think of her DRESS?

Or anything else you want to comment about. Dd and I had such a great morning watching!

Please link me if there is already a dress-discussion thread!

I loved the dress-it looked like "her". I think the train could have had a little more pizzazz though-from a distance it just looked so plain, and personally, I would have gone with a tiara more like Diana's-not too much, but a tiny bit more than the one she wore.

They looked happy and fairly relaxed though-and that's most important!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that she continued to make the statement that she has already established her style and it was shown in her veil, tiara and gown.

Her gown reminded me of Princess Margaret's gown some 50 years ago but Meg's didn't have the gorgeous lace work.

I guess my biggest surprise was when some British correspondent was talking about the fact that William may not ascend to the throne till he is almost 60 yrs of age. Wow --

I was absolutely thrilled with her dress. The lace was exquisite and the train was not one of those "I've got to make such a statement that part of my dress will be in a different time zone from my actual body" kinds of things like Diana and Fergie wore. I felt both of their dresses were designed by Disney and especially that embroidered "A".

Kate just glowed in that dress. It showed her off and did not consume her the way I felt Diana's dress did. It was very appropriate for Westminster Abbey and not trendy. It will be a classic look that transcends time just the way Grace Kelly's dress was. A wonderful show of good sense and taste and left room for the wedding to be as much about the groom as it was about the bride. I just love a gorgeous, tasteful, dress.

Her veil was so beautiful and her headpiece...I loved that it was understated. It allowed her face to shine.

In my opinion, it was a home run!

I also loved what Pippa wore...another gorgeous, elegant dress that had no hint of ridiculous trend hopping. Now, if some of the royal members could have just controlled their choices in hats or more appropriately referred to as HEAD TUMORS, well then, it would have been perfect. Seriously, if I had been the Queen, I'd have told Beatrice in particular to high tail her little fanny straight home and get something else or stand outside! What was that child thinking????

Faith

I loved it.

When the what-do-you-think-the-dress-will-look-like thread came up, two things came to mind. First, that she'd never walk bare-shouldered down that Abbey aisle, and second, that it would be so cool if her dress was like Maria's in The Sound of Music.

Lo and behold, the dress was the very same shape as Maria's! The collar/neckline is what I truly loved about that dress. Kate just laced it up a bit, but the style was very similar.

Elegant, regal, classy, appropriate. With Diana's dress, I can imagine her looking back 20 years down the road thinking, What the heck, what was I thinking with all those ruffles and puffs? I imagine Kate will never regret her wedding day style.

I was pleased with her dress and I thought she looked beautiful.

I really thought Pippa stole the show, though. I normally don't care for dresses that form fitting, but I thought she was beautiful.

We just finished watching and finished our scones. :)

It will be a classic look that transcends time just the way Grace Kelly's dress was.

Now, if some of the royal members could have just controlled their choices in hats or more appropriately referred to as HEAD TUMORS, well then, it would have been perfect. Seriously, if I had been the Queen, I'd have told Beatrice in particular to high tail her little fanny straight home and get something else or stand outside! What was that child thinking????

Faith

That's what it reminded of! Princess Grace!

And I agree with your last paragraph! Seriously, someone should have taken that young lady aside (okay, and a few others).

I thought the dress was perfect. And the tiara had such a wonderful history to it! It was Elizabeth's mother, given to her by her husband (George VI) and handed down to Elizabeth. It's from a pivotal era in English history, has family significance, was a perfect match for the elegant understatement of the dress (and the ceremony as a whole). I thought it was all just lovely. :)

Yes, elegant and classy and timeless. That is her style, consistently, and she nailed it once again with this dress.

BTW, dd and I googled Grace Kelly's dress earlier, and it was very similar! I loved Kate's neckline though.

YES-Pippa's dress was gorgeous.

I wondered that myself, Mariann, when will they become king/queen (barring unforeseen events). Interesting that he will be that old! I'm glad they'll have time to live "normally".

LOVED the dress -- I thought her whole ensemble was just gorgeous -- the tiara, the veil.... I'm probably in a very small minority, though, and thought she should have worn her hair up. It was beautiful down, but I think it would have been prettier up. That's just nitpicky, though. She looked lovely...and very happy!

I guess my biggest surprise was when some British correspondent was talking about the fact that William may not ascend to the throne till he is almost 60 yrs of age. Wow --

Not that I wish it on them but I always thought the Queen could skip ole Charles and go straight to her grandson and make him King?

We didn't get up to watch, but caught the video clips online. My younger dd has been sick all week and we've gotten very little sleep and dh just canceled cable this week (didn't think that one through).

My older dd16 thought the dress was beautiful. She especially liked the veil and the tiara. She mentioned the veil more than once. I have a feeling that she will remember this dress when she is looking for her own. It certainly made an impression.

I thought it was perfect, and was so happy to see them smiling and talking and acting like a normal couple getting married.

Now if only I didn't have to see that Camilla Parker-Bowles...she just makes me a little sick.

My younger dd10 loved seeing the kids in the wedding party and the carriage

I, too, wondered what Princess Beatrice was thinking.

LOVED the dress -- I thought her whole ensemble was just gorgeous -- the tiara, the veil.... I'm probably in a very small minority, though, and thought she should have worn her hair up. It was beautiful down, but I think it would have been prettier up. That's just nitpicky, though. She looked lovely...and very happy!

I've only seen a couple of pics so far (DD and I are going to look for more clips/pics later), but I thought the dress was really lovely, very classy, very elegant and timeless. It seems to fit her style well. I really applaud her for not going overboard with the dress, tiara, etc. And for the hair, maybe William likes her hair down. (This from a woman who refused to put her very long hair up for her own wedding, because regardless of what everyone else does for weddings, only one person's opinion really mattered -- I wasn't marrying everyone else; I was marrying my sweetheart, and *he* likes my hair down, so down it was.)

When they chose Westminster Abbey as their venue, that ended the possibility of strapless or even sleeveless. The shoulders had to be covered in some manner and no cleavage hanging out...there are dress code rules of decorum for the W.A.

Faith

Our family returned last week from a visit to England which included a visit to WA. Since arriving home we've (the boys and I) had been trying to figure out how they would maneuver around all those tombs:001_huh: and through the choir section. It was so much fun watching the videos and remembering being right there. There was a camera view in one of the videos taken from the top showing the "cross" of the aisles with the guests seated and the altar area. It was stunning! While there, it didn't seem so large - probably because of the throng of people, but that view showed the true magnificence of WA.

I liked the cleavage combined with the modest arms. :)

I think it was classic and perfect. I didn't even think I cared, but when I saw it, it made me happy.

But I don't know why. lol Maybe it's because they are so young, and have such a platform & opportunity to do good in this world. I also thought of her mother who might be thinking, "That private (public) school tution sacrifice was worth it. We bloody well married our daughter off to the future king of England" No regrets there. lol

It was predictable. it was the dress I figured she would wear. She isn't allowed to wear bare arms or shoulders so that was out.

Kate is also 30 and has been living with William on and off for years. It was the dress of an grown woman.

Diana was a young woman when she got married. She was what..19? 20? It was the dress of a girl.

I guess I'm the only person alive who didn't like the dress. :confused:

I just think it looked too mature. She's beautiful and young and that dress just looked like she was wearing her grandmother's dress to me. I guess modesty was an issue? I am one who doesn't believe that personal style has to be sacrificed for modesty. Oh, well.

I LOVED all the hats. I now some were pretty tacky, but to me that equals personal style. I like when people let their crazy show a little. I guess I just outed myself as a crazy lover, LOL, no wonder I didn't care for the dress!

Edited by TejasMamacita

Dd and I loved the dress (Pippa's too!), and we thought Kate looked so happy, at ease, and absolutely glowing throughout it all. We LOVED the balcony kisses, William's blush during the first kiss, and Kate's "Oh, Wow!" as she first stepped out on the balcony. I thought the service matched the dress - - beautiful and timeless.

Dd - who has never been one for princesses (she's the ultimate tomboy) - now has hopes of marrying Prince Harry. :001_smile: She is almost the age I was when I watched Diana and Charles marry, and I'm so glad we made this event a festive affair and watched it together live in the wee morning hours complete with tea, scones, and earl gray shortbread.

I loved the dress - it was beautiful. But at the same time, I felt a little disappointed that it wasn't a bit grander. It seemed like a dress that anybody could wear for their wedding vs. one that was for a princess. I am thankful that it was nothing like Diana's though!

:iagree:

I wouldn't say the dress wasn't her. I have been a bridesmaid in many a wedding and been shopping with those brides and am many times surprised that the dress they choose is not one that anyone would label "their style". I've seen completely modest, no frills brides go for ridiculous, ruffled up, puffy, low cut, dresses and I've seen a couple of brides whose personal style is pretty close to Friday night on a street corner, go for long, full, modest cut gowns that look like a throwback to another era. For whatever reason, these women go into a bridal shop and something clicks with a dress and it may have absolutely nothing to do with what any outsider would deem their personal style.

Diana and Fergie's dresses were ridiculously Cinderella like, austentatious, and over done. So, maybe when Kate talked things over with her dress designer she indicated a desire to look more classic, timeless, elegant, and given that on a day like today, William just had to be missing his mamma, maybe she wanted to make sure that her dress did not have an air of "it's all about me buddy".

I think it was a princess's gown, just not the princess's of the 70's and 80's who made big splashes. Even Edward's wife chose something much, much more understated and Mary of Denmark as well. I think that some of these young gals, and especially the ones that aren't high born raised royals, don't feel the need to make a statement with their wedding gowns.

More than anything, NOT having a 28 ft. train, has to be a huge improvement in comfort! Kate has such a petite frame that anything bigger might have swallowed her.

Faith

Not that I wish it on them but I always thought the Queen could skip ole Charles and go straight to her grandson and make him King?

The commentators were talking about this, too, Said the general feel of the people was that they would rather have William next. However, the queen would have to abdicate to Charles, which they said she would never do as her vow was to serve for life, and then Charles would have to abdicate to William, which they said he wouldn't do as he's been waiting his whole life to be king. OTOH, they said, with the queen's expected longevity, Charles could be in his 80's, and maybe the people would push for William because of that . . .

Loved the dress. I love lace and really appreciated that aspect of the dress. It is a classic dress but a nod to modern times with the low cut. Loved the veil. I wish the tiara had been bigger, you could barely see it. She should have worn the Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara since that is her title now. Loved that The Queen wore the True Lover's Knot brooch. Absolutely stunning.

Lol, people can push all they want but it is NOT a democracy...right? The whole point is that 'people' don't get to choose what their figureheads do. They just pay the bills.

In terms of the dress being 'smaller' there is also the fact that when Charles married Diana he was (is) second in line for the throne. He was expected to have a bigger everything. That was part of why the youngest brother had a much smaller wedding. He isn't even the 'spare' like the second brother. Poor guy.

William is third in line for the throne so it was expected to be a 'smaller' affair over all. That was why it wasn't in the same church where his father married. It was also part of why the US president or VP wasn't there. The British didn't want the expense of US level security for a US pres/VP and it wasn't strictly necessary because of William's rank. So, they offered a Royal state visit to the Obamas instead.

If Charles was King, then William would be more important and the dress would have been bigger, lol.

Or anything else you want to comment about. Dd and I had such a great morning watching!

Please link me if there is already a dress-discussion thread!

I loved the dress-it looked like "her". I think the train could have had a little more pizzazz though-from a distance it just looked so plain, and personally, I would have gone with a tiara more like Diana's-not too much, but a tiny bit more than the one she wore.

They looked happy and fairly relaxed though-and that's most important!

:iagree: with everything you said. Everything was understated IMO including her hair.

Nonetheless, she looked beautiful. LOVED the lace top. Very sophisticated and pretty! That was the one part not understated!

I was just glad it wasn't strapless.:tongue_smilie:

When they chose Westminster Abbey as their venue, that ended the possibility of strapless or even sleeveless. The shoulders had to be covered in some manner and no cleavage hanging out...there are dress code rules of decorum for the W.A.

Faith

It's not just Westminster Abbey. In general in England, when people get married in church, they are not supposed to have bare shoulders. At least, that was a friend's experience living there for several years and getting married there. Bare shoulders in church were just not done.

Nope, didn't like it. The boobs looked like something Madonna would have worn. There were very distinct "circles" or something right where her...umm....nipples would have been! My first thought when I saw her was that she needed a bra and fast! I can't be the only person who was distracted by that?!:confused: Train was okay but a bit boring. The hair and make-up looked great but the veil was a dud. Nothing interesting about it. I was disappointed but enjoyed watching it. I really dig Harry. He looks to be quite the sexy little rascal! Wish we could sit in on his speech tonight!:tongue_smilie:

Nope, didn't like it. The boobs looked like something Madonna would have worn. There were very distinct "circles" or something right where her...umm....nipples would have been! My first thought when I saw her was that she needed a bra and fast!

I liked the dress but that was my first thought and what I am still thinking everytime I see a picture of her in the dress. What's up with the boobs?

It was a perfect dress for my 14 year old daughter so I think that is why I like it so much.

Guest momk2000

The bride looked beautiful. The gown was elegant and sophisticated without being overdone. Everything was absolutely perfect!

I wish them both the best of luck. :001_smile: