Menu

s/o The Anti-Monarchist thread for those who think the Royals should be Throne Out

I can't remember the exact timing, but it was either just before Diana left him or just after, a transcript of a phone call he had w/his then mistress, now wife, Camilla, and he was going on...at one point telling her he wanted to be reincarnated as her tampon. Something like that.

*gag*

:001_huh:

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DO NOT Google! :D

What happens in Vegas—apparently—doesn't stay in Vegas.

Bill

I googled! Ack! Where's the soap! I so did NOT expect THOSE pictures to be in news articles!!!! For once, please listen to Bill and DON'T google! Naked Unknown and Naked Prince...that is all that needs to be said!

Do tell! As a mere American Yank, the tampon thing is not something I've ever heard about! :001_huh:

Good gag, are the Brits really going to let him be king? Can't they just skip over him, you know...like choosing not to invite your craziest relatives to the reunion and then have the party a an undisclosed location?

Where is the vomit smilie when you need it?

Faith

Here ya go Faith. post-1037-1211195140.gif

I can't remember the exact timing, but it was either just before Diana left him or just after, a transcript of a phone call he had w/his then mistress, now wife, Camilla, and he was going on...at one point telling her he wanted to be reincarnated as her tampon. Something like that.

*gag*

Ewww gross. Who would want to be a tampon?? :001_huh:

And this really isn't surprising. They are famous for simply being born. They have a bit of money. And no real outlet.

Yes, he flies helos. But he can't actually go to war because he is the current "spare" to the throne. So, yeah, lots of boredom there. Lots of ways to goof up.

He needs a real job, and real responsibility - just like any other 20-something.

Well, he did deploy to Afghanistan for three months. He had to come back early because the press announced he was there. Reportedly he has been trying to go back.

Well, he did deploy to Afghanistan for three months. He had to come back early because the press announced he was there. Reportedly he has been trying to go back.

I remember the delightful video he made during his deployment where he called people "rag-heads." :001_huh:

Bill

I really don't have any skin in the game, since I'm an American? I guess I don't know why people *outside of the UK* care.

LOL I was confused by your remark then I realized you were answering the inital question in this thread. :lol:

I totally agree with you. I think Americans gave their opinion on monarchy back in 1776 and we've really got no place in the conversation anymore. :)

LOL I was confused by your remark then I realized you were answering the inital question in this thread. :lol:

I totally agree with you. I think Americans gave their opinion on monarchy back in 1776 and we've really got no place in the conversation anymore. :)

Well, I still don't feel like I have any say about a pampered Prince discovered playing strip pool. This would be surprising....why? He doesn't have any real responsibilities and he has lots of money and time to waste. He'll be a perpetual 20 year old until something/someone forces him to grow up a little.

I agree with you that we gave our opinion on the monarchy, but now we've replaced it with an oligarchy based on wealth. That's why Kim Kardashian is constantly on tv and in the news because she has a rich dad. Yawn, it's the same thing. I don't think Americans can really point the finger at any other countries in that regard.

Well, I still don't feel like I have any say about a pampered Prince discovered playing strip pool. This would be surprising....why? He doesn't have any real responsibilities and he has lots of money and time to waste. He'll be a perpetual 20 year old until something/someone forces him to grow up a little.

I agree with you that we gave our opinion on the monarchy, but now we've replaced it with an oligarchy based on wealth. That's why Kim Kardashian is constantly on tv and in the news because she has a rich dad. Yawn, it's the same thing. I don't think Americans can really point the finger at any other countries in that regard.

I'd much rather a monarchy than what we have. What are the chances of developing an oligarchy based on intelligence?

Should we decide to make Kim Kardashian or Paris Hilton hereditary monarchs or members of an American Royal family, then I think we'd deserve a good poke. Come on! :D

Bill

Ugh the Kardashians. I blame Ryan Seacrest for that one. :p Does anyone even really watch their show? I don't have cable so I've never seen it, but from what I've read online it seems everyone hates them so is it the media frenzy that keeps them in the public eye or do people truly watch this stuff and keep it perpetuating themselves?

I would love that! :) At least I think I would. I would have to look up oligarchy first to see what it means. :p hehe

I had to also. It is my new cool word for the week. I have to find another way to introduce it into conversation. :D

(And since Mrs. M already knew how to use it, I again vote for her as President.)

Should we decide to make Kim Kardashian or Paris Hilton hereditary monarchs or members of an American Royal family, then I think we'd deserve a good poke. Come on! :D

Aren't they American royalty for all intents and purposes? Aren't they doing the same types of things? Aren't they followed by the tabloids? Don't people take embarrassing pictures of them? Aren't they rich and powerful enough to pretty much do whatever they want? Aren't they what people SEE of America overseas? Yes, to all of it.

What is the real difference, other than the princes do serve part time in the military and do charity work?

Ugh the Kardashians. I blame Ryan Seacrest for that one. :p Does anyone even really watch their show? I don't have cable so I've never seen it, but from what I've read online it seems everyone hates them so is it the media frenzy that keeps them in the public eye or do people truly watch this stuff and keep it perpetuating themselves?

I have no idea? All I know is there was a *news article* yesterday on how often Kim K tweets pictures of herself in a bikini. What the heck? Seriously? I find it *equally* as disturbing.

Now I'm all depressed.

Parrothead said, "What are the chances of developing an oligarchy based on intelligence?"

Well , we are, sort of, but not based solely on intelligence, rather more on education, intelligence and certain sorts of personalities. And no, Kim Kardashian is not included except as an outlier. Read Coming Apart, the State of White America 1960-2010 by Charles Murray.

Aren't they American royalty for all intents and purposes?

No.

Aren't they doing the same types of things?

Yep.

Aren't they followed by the tabloids?

Indeed.

Don't people take embarrassing pictures of them?

Affirmative.

Aren't they rich and powerful enough to pretty much do whatever they want?

Even the rich and spoiled have limits.

Aren't they what people SEE of America overseas?

Which isn't a good thing. The Kardashians are not the heads of state. The "Windsors" are part of a hereditary monarchy. Big difference!

Yes, to all of it.

No. It was "yes" to all the trashy tabloid-type behavior, but "no" to being basically the same.

What is the real difference, other than the princes do serve part time in the military and do charity work?

The differences are the princes are in a line of succession to the throne. Potential heads of state. Leaders of the Anglican Church. People who a paid obeisance around the world was royal majesties.

I have no idea? All I know is there was a *news article* yesterday on how often Kim K tweets pictures of herself in a bikini. What the heck? Seriously? I find it *equally* as disturbing.

I'm waiting for Harry's sex video. You gotta know it's inevitable.

Bill

*gag*

I remember reading about it here in the U.S.

I'm picturing the Hive in a room with the National Budget deciding what we want cut, like in Dave.

I like that movie. :001_smile:

Parrothead said, "What are the chances of developing an oligarchy based on intelligence?"

Well , we are, sort of, but not based solely on intelligence, rather more on education, intelligence

Except sadly, we tend to put down those with an education. We wrinkle our noses at people who went to Ivy League colleges and call them elitist snobs. We proudly proclaim our ignorance. "Why I'm just an ole country boy/girl." Then we turn around and complain about the state of education in this country.

All general "we" of course.

Which isn't a good thing. The Kardashians are not the heads of state. The "Windsors" are part of a hereditary monarchy. Big difference!

The differences are the princes are in a line of succession to the throne. Potential heads of state. Leaders of the Anglican Church. People who a paid obeisance around the world was royal majesties.

As soon as William has a baby, then Harry is no longer directly in line. Harry is only a "potential" head of state, *not* a head of state. You didn't actually see this stuff from William because I'm sure his actions were more tightly controlled.

If you don't think Kim K has potential as a political leader, then you have more faith in California than I do. ;)

As soon as William has a baby, then Harry is no longer directly in line. Harry is only a "potential" head of state, *not* a head of state. You didn't actually see this stuff from William because I'm sure his actions were more tightly controlled.

If you don't think Kim K has potential as a political leader, then you have more faith in California than I do. ;)

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:Bill, I have to agree with Mrs. Mungo's assessment. :D

Faith

The British royals are boooring (Obama is much more entertaining :D) - if the Brits want to keep them then so be it - but stop inflicting them on us Aussies :D

Have you not seen Harry's recent photos? :D :lol: (Of course, that's pretty boorish behavior, but probably not what you meant. ;) )

And this really isn't surprising. They are famous for simply being born. They have a bit of money. And no real outlet.

Yes, he flies helos. But he can't actually go to war because he is the current "spare" to the throne. So, yeah, lots of boredom there. Lots of ways to goof up.

He needs a real job, and real responsibility - just like any other 20-something.

I think that goes for all of them. Waiting around for your mother to die and give you her expensive house is hardly a dignified life. I think it makes them all weird.

I thought the pictures were adorable. Go Prince Harry. Fly your freak flag high buddy, you only go around once!! If nudie pics were the worst thing ever done by a potential leader of a country it would be a far better world. YMMV but greed, cruelty, murder and violence against other people are far worse than a bare bum in my little corner of the world. No big shakes.:lol::auto:

:lol: This is very sadly true.

And I do think that celebs in America are like royalty in the UK to a certain extent. At least they are treated that way.

You gotta love Prince Harry

Man needs a kilt

:smilielol5: Bill, I have to say that when I saw the news on this, I thought of you and this thread right away.

What happens in Vegas—apparently—doesn't stay in Vegas.

:lol:

I think Harry is a "chip off the ole block".

Charles wasn't exactly, a prim and proper young man.

Faith

Yep. True that. ;)

It makes me feel all the more sorry for Diana. Poor woman.

Me too. I always felt so bad for her.

I really, really, really want to see

- a documentary about her death that has been seriously banned and unavailable even though it won some awards at Cannes a few years ago. The British government will not allow for it at all, which makes me want to see it even more. Here's another link. Piers Morgan was one of the producers or whatever for this documentary.

I'm just saying that Camilla and Diana are not the same class of woman. Camilla has always struck me as a nasty girl.

I couldn't agree more. Cannot. Stand. Camilla. :thumbdown:

LOL Well you know that she was Charles' mistress throughout his entire marriage to Diana. What kind of woman does that you know? The trashy kind.

:iagree:

Plus, she was married also. I think her dh at the time went both ways if you KWIM.

I think Americans gave their opinion on monarchy back in 1776 and we've really got no place in the conversation anymore. :)

I actually think that we all (British or not) are entitled to our opinions on them. They love the publicity and have huge PR departments working for them. The British monarchy loves the media and being in the spotlight. If they can't stand the heat, they need to get out of the kitchen. It's not exactly like they're keeping a low profile as the royal families of the Netherlands and Scandinavian countries. They're asking for it and it's their own doing.

That's why Kim Kardashian is constantly on tv and in the news because she has a rich dad. Yawn, it's the same thing. I don't think Americans can really point the finger at any other countries in that regard.

. :lol: I've probably seen it a dozen times. One of my favorite TV shows ever. :D

I thought the pictures were adorable. Go Prince Harry. Fly your freak flag high buddy, you only go around once!! If nudie pics were the worst thing ever done by a potential leader of a country it would be a far better world.

:iagree:And I don't regret my youth, either. It got me where I am.

He is as disturbed by culture clash as any immigrant adapting to a new country. He was brought up in a family culture of arranged or semi-arranged marriage, where personal happiness was sacrificed to the family good. His aunt Margaret had been banned from marrying the man she loved and had lived a life of some misery and a lot of booze.

Charles was in love with Camilla Parker Bowles from the early 1970s but he was not allowed to marry her. He was not able to break free from his family influence to marry her despite his family's opposition - the horror of his great uncle's abdication would still have been strong - but was also not able to stifle his own desires. So he persuaded himself that he could continue another family tradition, and have both a wife and a mistress. Meanwhile Diana, despite her aristocratic background, had more 20th century Western expectations for marriage.

I don't have much respect for Charles, but I do think that it's worth thinking about where he comes from culturally.

Laura

I really, really, really want to see

- a documentary about her death that has been seriously banned and unavailable even though it won some awards at Cannes a few years ago. The British government will not allow for it at all, which makes me want to see it even more.

The director declined to make the cuts demanded by lawyers before it could be shown in the UK. It was financed by Mohamed Al Fayed. I haven't seen the film, so I don't know if it's any good or holds any truths.

Laura

I don't have much respect for Charles, but I do think that it's worth thinking about where he comes from culturally.

:iagree: To my mind, both of them were stuck in a system that just about guaranteed misery. I don't care for Charles (or Diana) much, but I do feel sorry for both of them. Happily it seems like the royals have learned from that disaster and that William is insistent on change.

The director declined to make the cuts demanded by lawyers before it could be shown in the UK. It was financed by Mohamed Al Fayed. I haven't seen the film, so I don't know if it's any good or holds any truths.

Laura

Laura, I've seen as many clips as I could on You Tube and I love it so far. I really like Piers Morgan and the mere fact that it's not allowed makes me want to see it even more.

Bill, thought you might like this article. I love The Guardian. They use terms like "facially equine" rather than horse-faced. Cracks me up. They're so cerebral and always so refreshing to read. I also love the comments.

Edited by Negin in Grenada

I think that goes for all of them. Waiting around for your mother to die and give you her expensive house is hardly a dignified life. I think it makes them all weird.

Is piloting a search and rescue helicopter not a real job?

I don't get the whole royal-family-as-weirdos thing. I live out in a rural area with people who are about as salt-of-the-earth as you get and there's lots of drama that would rival anything the British royals could produce.

I don't get the whole royal-family-as-weirdos thing. I live out in a rural area with people who are about as salt-of-the-earth as you get and there's lots of drama that would rival anything the British royals could produce.

It is a real job, but to the Royal family it is something to keep him occupied until he starts his real job, which is waiting for his father to die. He's not going to be allowed to pilot a helicopter much longer. He's got to produce an heir and then start waiting.

An ex-boyfriend of mine did this; it takes a combination great skill and guts (and yes, I do think that people in such positions do tend to be more reckless off the job than others). He finally couldn't take the stress anymore and became an air traffic controller at a busy metropolitan airport. Ditto for a friend who was a nurse for 15 years in a high-level NICU.

I have to say, I enjoyed the clips of Harry, William, and Kate at the Olympics. They looked like they were having a good time, just sitting there among all the other spectators for the most part. I'm sure there was plenty of security waiting in the wings, but they weren't separated from the crowds.

And watching Harry preside over the closing ceremonies? The guy looked positively miserable in a suit up there in front of all those people. No wonder he had to hit Vegas to blow off some steam... ;)

I personally find the European monarchies endearing. They're imperfect, like everyone else on earth, and certainly no more annoying than the American "royals" be they political families or reality tv stars.

I actually think that we all (British or not) are entitled to our opinions on them. They love the publicity and have huge PR departments working for them. The British monarchy loves the media and being in the spotlight. If they can't stand the heat, they need to get out of the kitchen. It's not exactly like they're keeping a low profile as the royal families of the Netherlands and Scandinavian countries. They're asking for it and it's their own doing.

I absolutely believe that everyone is entitled to have an opinion on any subject. My comment about America having spoken on it in 1776 was in reference to the initial discussion in this thread about whether or not the monarchs should be "throne" out to use Bill's parlance. :p It is my opinion that the US had already declared it's position on monarchy back in 1776 and therefore we really have no business calling for the abolition of the royal family IN ENGLAND. It's for them to decide for themselves. People are entitled to believe whatever they want and they have the freedom of speech to declare it also, but I think it's pretty presumptuous and arrogant to tell people in another country what should be done with their royals when we already left the conversation so long ago, kwim? That's all I meant really.