Menu

Trelease's Read-Aloud Handbook

mo2

Is this worth buying? There are tons of book lists available on the internet...is this one more than just a list?

Also, what sort of books does he recommend? Is he heavy on classics, or does he tend toward more modern literature? Are recommended age ranges given?

Thanks.

I liked the book but not enough to purchase it. I just requested a copy from my local library. I've borrowed it twice from there and haven't ever read it cover from cover but read different chapters.

I didn't focus so much on his list of books but more of the information and ideas he gave in the beginning of the book.

I liked the book but not enough to purchase it. I just requested a copy from my local library. I've borrowed it twice from there and haven't ever read it cover from cover but read different chapters.

I didn't focus so much on his list of books but more of the information and ideas he gave in the beginning of the book.

I also borrowed it from the library and was pleased with that choice.

OK, let's say my library doesn't have it and the only way I will ever get to read it is if I purchae it myself. Should I buy it or skip it altogether?

What she said. :001_smile:

Except I've only borrowed it once. I got it on inter-library loan, and recently noticed my library has a copy now. I intend to re-read it this summer.

I own a copy because I love the lists of books in the back. Can you maybe stop by your local Barnes and Noble and peruse it while your kids play at the train table/stage or read their own books? We do that occasionally if I don't want to buy a book but do want to skim through it.

Can you maybe stop by your local Barnes and Noble and peruse it while your kids play at the train table/stage or read their own books?

I would love to, if my nearest Barnes and Noble wasn't 2 hours away. We *did* have a Borders only 45 minutes away, until it closed last month. :glare:

The fact that the Borders store closed puts me in the position that now I have to order all my books without seeing them first.

I'm pretty well versed in children's literature, so I didn't personally find it very useful. The vast majority of books he mentions are ones I know or have read. However, if you're not someone who knows children's books, then it's useful and you won't find a better set of solid booklists anywhere in one place (including any that I know of online).

I really like this book and am glad I bought it. The information in it is motivating and useful. I also like the booklists for picture books. Right now for chapter book read alouds I use the Sonlight lists and we're loving those. You can probably get it really cheap on someplace like half.com if you don't mind a used copy.

After checking it out from the library for the third time in 18 months as I went to make myself a booklist, I finally bought it. As pp said, I have never seen a better booklist. They are broken down by categories: picture books, short novels, full length novels, and a couple other. The appropriate age is given along with a quick summary of the story. The rest of the book is worth a quick read, but the booklist is why I bought it.

He updates it about every five years, and it's been about that long since the last edition. If there's not a new one out now, there should be soon.

I got it from the library and liked it enough to purchase it. There is a lot of information in it about teaching kids to love reading and the art of reading aloud to children. The books lists are very different from other lists. Trelease emphasizes the joy of reading and is very pro-twaddle insomuch as it makes reading enjoyable for a child that otherwise wouldn't like to read. So his lists are full of titles that appeal to kids that are not readers, and most especially to boys. I have found the book to be a great resource, but even for my 6yo, I have to preview the books first. (There was one book that was just too urban gang-like for my liking.) However, I still continue to use it as a resource.

Not only is it a good booklist, but also a good read. He does such a good job of making the case for reading aloud (even after the child can read). It really changed the way I thought about reading to kids.

I think it's worth owning. I often take it with me to the library to help my kids pick out decent books.

Honey for a Child's Heart and Books Children Love are also good. I guess I just have a think for books about books.

Trelease emphasizes the joy of reading and is very pro-twaddle

I wish I had known this before I hit the order button on Amazon. Oh, well.

I think there are much better lists out there, and I don't particularly love the book otherwise. I prefer to read a book that values the classics, as opposed to writing to the usual PS level. (Try Classics in the Classroom from MCT instead.) I sold my copy a few years ago.

Thank you. I'll take a look at it.

After checking it out from the library for the third time in 18 months as I went to make myself a booklist, I finally bought it. As pp said, I have never seen a better booklist. They are broken down by categories: picture books, short novels, full length novels, and a couple other. The appropriate age is given along with a quick summary of the story. The rest of the book is worth a quick read, but the booklist is why I bought it.

:iagree: ,only I checked it out once and then bought it. I really did enjoy reading the information found at the front of the book. Even though I already know how important it is to read aloud to your children, I found the information well worth reading. I have it on our bookcase in our school area for easier access.

Edited by Guest

Honey for a Child's Heart and Books Children Love are also good. I guess I just have a think for books about books.

I've been hearing so much about these I really want to add them to our library, especially the first one. I'll check and see if my library carries them first.

ETA: My library doesn't have either one :(. I just added them to my wishlist though.

Yes, it's a keeper.

His website is informative too.

:iagree:I really enjoyed reading his author profile on Beverly Cleary :).

Edited by Guest

I would start with Honey for a child's Heart by Glady's Hunt. It was the book that started these types of books. I believe she wrote the first one over 20 years ago, but it has been updated. It is not overly religious, but she is Christian and she does talk about the bible as well as other read alouds. To me, her book is less about the lists (although they are fantastic) and more about how to pick good books yourself, and why you should read aloud. I would not be surprised if her book gave Jim Trelease the idea to write one himself.

If you enjoy that one, you might want to buy Jim Trelease's too. It is very informative and has some different information, like talked about word counts in books.

I have both. I could immediately find my Jim Trelease as he is on my reference shelf. However, Honey has done a walk about, as has my WTM. Those are the 2 books I always have to hunt through the house for as they are probably my 2 most read reference books. Therefore they go on vacation from where they should be on a regular basis.

ETA: Found it. Honey was first published in 1969, Trelease was in 1979

Edited by Northwest_Mama
found something I was looking for

I own it, along with Honey for A Child's Heart and Books Children Love.

It was rereading it about a month ago, that I actually listened to Mr. Trelease's opinion re the Great Books for high school-and decided that our dd's HS education >Gasp<would not be based on these books. We'll include some, but only during 11-12th.

I know, not a popular opinion here with the Hive.:lol:

It was rereading it about a month ago, that I actually listened to Mr. Trelease's opinion re the Great Books for high school-and decided that our dd's HS education >Gasp<would not be based on these books.

:svengo: I just got the book, and I am going to have to go search for this part! :D

I bought it, but don't reference it much. I just didn't agree with several of his assessments of books and authors I loved as a kid (Laura Ingalls Wilder, for one). His book makes a great case for reading aloud to your kids (especially dads reading aloud) so it would be good to pass along to someone who doesn't see the value in it. The book lists themselves, like I said, don't appeal to me much, but that's just me. Bottom line: I wouldn't have bought the book if I had read it first.

I borrowed this book from the library. I also plan to purchase it. It is WAY more than a book list. However, the book list is one of the reasons I plan to purchase it. I plan to buy the Kindle version. (I don't have a Kindle yet, but I downloaded the Kindle for PC version, so I'll be able to read it.)

• 2 months later...
I'm pretty well versed in children's literature, so I didn't personally find it very useful. The vast majority of books he mentions are ones I know or have read. However, if you're not someone who knows children's books, then it's useful and you won't find a better set of solid booklists anywhere in one place (including any that I know of online).

:iagree:I'm currently reading it right now (borrowed from the library) and there is a lot of information on there that I didn't know. I have a dd who loves to read and I'm always looking for books to suggest to her. I'm going to hold off on buying it, but I'll probably check it out again.

I only skimmed the first couple pages of this thread...

I've checked it out from the library several times, before finding a copy at Half Price Books. I love the lists and I also check his website for updates.

If I were in your position of buying it or not reading it at all, I'd buy it. You might want to also check PaperbackSwap.com.

I haven't read the other replies, but I'd definitely buy it.

That book was recommended to me by our librarian when my kids were pre-k age and it totally turned our read-aloud time around. I read to them often starting when they were babies, but I found a lot of the books we were reading very tiresome. I really began to enjoy reading to them rather than just doing it to be a good mommy once I started using the book lists recommended by Jim Trelease. We would bring home 20 - 40 books from the library and read them over a couple of weeks and then go back and get more. Many, many favorites and special memories came from those books.

Lisa

OK, let's say my library doesn't have it and the only way I will ever get to read it is if I purchae it myself. Should I buy it or skip it altogether?

I can't imagine not having this great resource. I bought it when my boys were five -- they're eight now -- and I bought it used on Amazon. I got another copy for a friend who loves it too.

Alley

I think there are much better lists out there, and I don't particularly love the book otherwise. I prefer to read a book that values the classics, as opposed to writing to the usual PS level. (Try Classics in the Classroom from MCT instead.) I sold my copy a few years ago.

:iagree:I didn't learn anything from this book and actually disagreed with some of his choices ( I love Little House on the Prairie). He makes a great case for reading aloud and I appreciate that. The picture book list is good; my library isn't so it wasn't so helpful for me. I much rather mull over the online list of books to get ideas. Oh and WTM forums have also given me great finds for read-alouds. Love this place!