Menu

If you had to use a "box" curriculum...

FloridaMomTo5

Christian? BJU, hands down. I really like their materials. I have no idea what I would use if I were seeking a secular curriculum.

I like that BJU has a great online program too. It is cheaper than Abeka's online and they give you 13 months to complete the year, not 9-10 like Abeka :)

oh, that would be tough for me. I love Rod and Staff, which some would consider a box curric or textbook curric. But I only like it for L.A., and math, and we use the music worksheets. They are all open and go, so you don't really need a schedule for them.

I would stick w/SOTW and A.G. for history. We have it down, so it works like a sheduled box subject at this point. But for science, which we do completely WTM, I would have to pick a curric. The only one I really looked at was Elemental Science, to have the schedule for WTM made up for me. So maybe that. But, I would still want Latin as well...

I am no help. I guess I consider WTM my box, and just use it for my schedule.

I totally drool over Heart of Dakota also but the having to do more than one guide for the different skill levels of the children keeps me away. My father's world fits the bill and includes everything you need (except LA&math). Very easy to use and adjust for 2-8th grade, if you like everything scheduled for you and if you agree a least somewhat with Charolette Mason philosophy.:D

Depends how old your kids are, whether you want "boxed" to also mean very little need for parent, and whether you want your kids to be taught together as much as possible or separate.

Heather

I would need it for my 4th grader and my 1st grader. The 7th grader is completely independent and will be in a "homeschool school" program next year. I like having independent learners... not b/c I don't like to teach, but b/c it teaches them to love learning. So in much of what I do I try to encourage as much independence as possible ;) Next year I just know i need something that is mapped out for me and completely structured.

The 4th grader LOVES to use the computer....and the 1st grader is a "dreamer" creative type.

we are using heart of dakota bigger next year with my two kids. they'll be 10 & 7, but i can use the same guide with both of them though (i'll add the extension pack for my daughter). i'm very excited!!!! i also have looked at sonlight, tapestry of grace, my father's world, and winter promise. they all look very good too:)

I totally drool over Heart of Dakota also but the having to do more than one guide for the different skill levels of the children keeps me away. My father's world fits the bill and includes everything you need (except LA&math). Very easy to use and adjust for 2-8th grade, if you like everything scheduled for you and if you agree a least somewhat with Charolette Mason philosophy.:D

I do enjoy CM and her philosophy. I even considered MFW for next year, but I'm just not sure how well it will work with an upcoming 1st and 4th grader. :confused:

Which 2 guides did you choose?

I am doing LHFHG with my DS5 and Preparing with DD9. Actually I just reread your grade levels and I will be doing 4th and 1st also. My DS5 is in between K and 1st so I am buying the K and 1st stuff and see what he can do.

I dont have my Preparing guide yet, but I have read every thread on HOD boards and yahoo group and I think it will be fairly easy. I will have DD doing her independent stuff while I do LHFHG with DS.

Edited by kwickimom

Mostly independent will be difficult for a 1st grader. I love Sonlight! We are expecting in the fall as well, and I am putting things together myself and simplifying our schedule.

Yes, I'm pretty sure most of my one on one will need to be devoted to her. Especially since she is the "creative" "dreamy" type ;) Easily distracted in other words ;)

I love HOD as well, however MFW encompasses a larger age gap. That'll be something you can decide in that area. MFW will have some easy books and some harder books and the book basket which you could buy instead of doing the library, but it is somewhat of a plan on your part in that particular area. You have 4 children and one on the way. While I'm more of an HOD person, it looks like multiple guides need could wear you out, although you have 3 kids that could possibly be in one, using extensions with the younger one sitting in. You can use either of these and go with CLE for LA, Math, Reading....

CLE is very independent with directions in the workbooks themselves. So if you need independence in specific subjects for specific children, that could work well for you.

BJU is all scripted so there's no planning. Colorful texts, but on level for most, although you could probably throw all kids in the science. You'd need different levels for different kids, but you could use the DVDs although that's pricey!

I'm going to encourage you to really think this through before you go to a "box" curriculum. Having things all planned out is different than going to the one-size-fits-none grade-level program (although I don't count HOD/MFW as a "box" curriculum).

I've BTDT on having a baby in the fall. My #5 is a late Sept baby. You'd be amazed at how much you can get done with a small baby. It is much easier than dealing with your one year old!

If you can preplan stuff & get a little more independent stuff that is similar to what you are currently using (or do workboxes?), I wouldn't go all-box.

I'm going to encourage you to really think this through before you go to a "box" curriculum. Having things all planned out is different than going to the one-size-fits-none grade-level program (although I don't count HOD/MFW as a "box" curriculum).

I've BTDT on having a baby in the fall. My #5 is a late Sept baby. You'd be amazed at how much you can get done with a small baby. It is much easier than dealing with your one year old!

If you can preplan stuff & get a little more independent stuff that is similar to what you are currently using (or do workboxes?), I wouldn't go all-box.

I do get what you are saying. I agree that if I go into it thinking a box with a grade number on it is going to definitely fit my child then it won't work. Primarily, I plan to use this as a guide to keep things on track when I can't do more of a specialized program. Any box set that I use would definitely be something that I would use creative liberty to alter to my child. This is why a "virtual public school" is completely out for us.

If I were to buy an all-in-one, everything's included type curriculum I'd probably go with K12 or Calvert. However, you'd be doing 2 separate programs for each kid and that would be tough even without a new baby

(awwww.... I'm getting baby fever just thinking about it! Tempted to start wandering the streets looking for a baby to cuddle. But, I digress...)

I think if I were in your shoes I'd do something like this:

For the 9 yo Sonlight (great schedule for hist/lit/readers), Teaching Textbooks (totally independent), Writing With Ease (aren't the lessons pretty short?), Growing with Grammar (independent) and something fun and independent like Snap Circuits to cover science.

Younger dd could tag along on with Sonlight, try CLE or MM for math (aren't they both relatively ind.?), OPGTR and maybe for science get an ant or worm farm to observe, raise some caterpillars, plant some flowers (in other words, something you don't have to DO with her, but she can still learn and enjoy). Oh, and I really recommend the "Handwriting Help for Kids" series to teach handwriting. Very short but effective lessons.

Good luck with your decision and congratulations on your new baby :) :)

I'm thinking you might be better off with an assortment of 'do the next thing' curriculum choices rather than a box curriculum. When you have curriculum that just does the next lesson you don't need an expansive schedule.

For your 4th grader I'd recommend a few things. First, if he loves the computer - he would probably love the Veritas Press self-paced online history course. It's awesome and completely independent. Each day he just pulls up the next lesson and goes. There are optional history-related literature assigned which you could choose to have him read or not, but again - the assignment is there and given to him. You wouldn't need to remember what to have him read today etc.

I don't know what you are doing in math but Teaching Textbooks would be an independent, computer program. I personally love Life of Fred but I don't know if your son is far enough along in math. You have to be done with all four operations including long division. Fractions is the first book.

For Grammar and writing you could use something like Rod and Staff. It can be done reasonably independently. And then just get a pile of books from a literature list (Veritas Press has a great list) and have him read them one by one and each day just tell you about what he read. You could add a weekly written narration.

It can be easier to have programs that are kind of self-scheduled rather than a box that has a master schedule. Then you know to just do the next thing and you don't have to worry about what happens if you don't get everything done every day and end up being on day 24's schedule for grammar and day 28 for math and day 30 for history etc.

Heather

We did BJU and LOVED it. Then I had a second child join the classroom. Ummm... it is tough to TEACH 2 kids a complete BJU curriculum at 2 different grade levels. But if I could and had the money and need, I would do their DVD or online program in a heart beat. I seriously consider it for high school science (Cathy Duffy top 100 pick... though that may be just the book but surely the DVD just enriches it, right?). Anyway, BJU is solid and easy.

Oh, and we did HOD but it was more labor intensive for me than I wanted and the kids weren't overly excited about the book choices. However, I have continued to follow the author's philosophy and approach to independent reading: 3 weeks from every genre every year. I do not do all the literary analysis and workbook stuff after listening to SWB's online seminar/talk about literary analysis in the elementary years.

HTH.

Edited by sewpeaceful

I am doing LHFHG with my DS5 and Preparing with DD9.

I did that same combo. with my boys. It was wonderful! Those two particular guides go together very well. There were many weeks when they were studying the same things. I hope you love it as much as we did.

Oh, and we did HOD but it was more labor intensive for me than I wanted and the kids weren't overly excited about the book choices.

You felt HOD was too labor intensive ...but you love BJU? I'm looking at HOD next year and I was hoping it was an open & go curriculum. You feel BJU is much easier? Oh oh. That's not good for me, lol. I need to investigate this more before buying HOD (I am oh so close to purchasing! so I'm glad I read this!).

Susan

You felt HOD was too labor intensive ...but you love BJU? I'm looking at HOD next year and I was hoping it was an open & go curriculum. You feel BJU is much easier? Oh oh. That's not good for me, lol. I need to investigate this more before buying HOD (I am oh so close to purchasing! so I'm glad I read this!).

Susan

I needed boxed this year and I chose HOD, too :)

Seriously, BJU has *3* teacher's manuals just for second grade reading. I'd spend too much time just keeping track of all the teacher's manuals :D. It's a shame--I love BJU.

I am expecting #6 this September :S We've (DH and I) made the decision to go from hodge-podge eclectic to HOD in the coming school year so that I don't have to devote the prep time which was so draining this year. I knew I needed something that I could open and teach from (or DH or visiting relatives could if I needed some extra baby time). I don't think it is "perfect" but I am pleased with what I've seen and I am confident we won't be neglecting any areas. I will be using Preparing for my 4th grader and Beyond for my 1st and 2nd graders.

I did that same combo. with my boys. It was wonderful! Those two particular guides go together very well. There were many weeks when they were studying the same things. I hope you love it as much as we did.

I am SO SO excited, more excited than the beginning of this past year which was our first. I keep stalking the forums and reading and rereading the sample weeks :) I need to sell a bunch of curriculum so I can get my hands on that Preparing guide (I cannot find it used, which I guess is good because that means people LOVE it)

I would use Living Books Curriculum, WinterPromise or Oak Meadow. However, whenever I look at them, I realize my plans are OK :)

Congratulations! I have a new baby (2 1/2 months old), and enjoying her very much :wub:

I second Teaching Textbooks for your older child. For your overall, open and go, scheduled curriculum, I'd use either MFW or HOD. I'd lean toward HOD at this point based on some of the things you mentioned, and also the fact that you wouldn't be combining your two dc this year anyway due to their ages.

I use HOD and it is SO open and go and easy to implement, truly. I also have a toddler and newborn this year and we are still using it successfully :)

I do enjoy CM and her philosophy. I even considered MFW for next year, but I'm just not sure how well it will work with an upcoming 1st and 4th grader. :confused:

It probably depends on the level of the first grader. I jumped ship mid year and have been doing MFW - ECC with a 4th grader and 1st grader since Jan. My 1st grader is a bit below grade level on reading and she has so far absolutely loved MFW.

It depends.. if you wanted to keep your children in the same "group" or learning area and enjoyed crafts I'd go with WP. If you didn't enjoy crafts and your children were close enough in ages I'd probably go with SL.

I say those because they come with schedules and I imagine it would be difficult to make your own up. That said HOD has their own schedule too, but grouping children in varying grades/ages together might be harder idk.

I see a lot of you are recommending SL, MFW and HOD.

I've never considered SL b/c I thought it was intense with parent involvement. Am I getting the wrong impression on that?

MFW....I did MFW Kindergarten with dd5 this year and quite honestly I felt it was a bit weak. I felt like I had to supplement quite a bit, and that is just not something I will be able to keep up with next year.

HOD...I've never heard of this curriculum so this is completely new to me. It appears from their website though that they are similar to MFW in that you are responsible for picking a LA program and a Math program. Is that correct?

Thank you all. I'm glad I have the oldest figured out for next year. I've been through this decision process so many times that I know 1 out 4 planned out for next year is pretty good at this point LOL ;)

MFW....I did MFW Kindergarten with dd5 this year and quite honestly I felt it was a bit weak. I felt like I had to supplement quite a bit, and that is just not something I will be able to keep up with next year.

;)

I just wanted to tell you that I agree MFW K and 1st are very slow paced and they really do NOT give you a good feel for how the other years will be, but the rest of the years actually seem a bit more advanced in grade level. They definately pick up the pace in the 5yr cycle. The only problem is if you do not like having everything scheduled for you. If you can get past that, it's actually quite rich in content. (I unfortunately can't get past it but I hope to because a really do think it's a great curriculum)

If you look at the homeschool reviews website, I seriously could not seem to find bad reviews for the older years, only for the K and 1st grade years. And most of them were complaints about the slow pace. HTH you!

While you can chose your own Math and LA program to go with MFW, you also can chose to include their recommendations for Math and LA to make it a complete set.

For this year you would want to put your 1st grader in the MFW 1st grade program, and have your 4th grader in ECC, with your younger somewhat tagging along. Then in the other years they could be combined with one guide for bible, history, science, music and art, and then they would be doing Math and LA on individual grade level.

HOD...I've never heard of this curriculum so this is completely new to me. It appears from their website though that they are similar to MFW in that you are responsible for picking a LA program and a Math program. Is that correct?

HOD schedules & recommends LA & Math (singapore & R&S), but it is also created to be flexible, in the sense that you can pick your own programs and it will have no ill effect on the curriculum whatsoever. we will be using CLE math & BJU english in lieu of their recommendations & it will work fine.

I just wanted to tell you that I agree MFW K and 1st are very slow paced and they really do NOT give you a good feel for how the other years will be, but the rest of the years actually seem a bit more advanced in grade level. They definately pick up the pace in the 5yr cycle. The only problem is if you do not like having everything scheduled for you. If you can get past that, it's actually quite rich in content. (I unfortunately can't get past it but I hope to because a really do think it's a great curriculum)

If you look at the homeschool reviews website, I seriously could not seem to find bad reviews for the older years, only for the K and 1st grade years. And most of them were complaints about the slow pace. HTH you!

I have heard complaints about the K program as well, I never used it. I also have heard quite a few reviews that say that the 1st grade program goes a little fast. I have done the 1st grade program, and I think it is AWESOME! Beyond the phonics program, which is multi-sensory, you have proverbs character study, along with memorizing a proverb each week. A bible notebook that the child writes and illustrates ( this is to be cherished, for sure!) Reads, studies, and makes a time line of all major stories of the bible, memorizes books of bible, learn how to draw a bible lands map from memory, cool science projects with Usborne books, nature study, list of tons of previewed books to go along with subject matter, and a 4 day week!

I didn't see Memoria Press listed. I am using this with my K-er in the fall.

I plan on swapping out a few things(math and phonics) but if I had too, I could use the whole thing as planned.

In fact, I wish they had their 7th grade package out for my oldest.