Menu

Recommend great gift for newborn??

I personally like to think outside the box. She has likely received many of the common gifts like diapers, onesies, towels/washrags, blankets, rattles, clothes, etc.

I would choose something that would last, something like a personalized gift: either a Christmas ornament with the baby's name and birthdate, or a wall hanging like this one.

But it would depend on how much you want to spend.

I like to start their library off with a quality book. My favorites are the d'aulaire boooks and the poetry for young people series, but you can find a good book to match most themes, interests, etc. It's what I get for babies, first birthdays, and most occasions for young kids who will be getting a ton of toys from others.

I agree with getting a good book. I like to buy something that is for an older child, but a book that they would possibly keep forever...like James Herriott's Treasury for Children, Mother Goose, something like that.

And then I also love to add in an aden and anais blanket. They are muslin swaddling blankets, and are huge! I got some when my last DS was born and I LOVE LOVE LOVE them. They have a line for Target, I think they are only online, and I think the Target line is as good as the originals.

These blankets are great not only for swaddling, but for covering the stroller when the baby is sleeping or to block light, using as a nursing cover...etc...etc. I have used them for everything. We still use them now, a year later. They are great in the summer because they are so breathable.

Here they are at Target.

And here's the website Aden and Anais.

Have fun baby shopping! :)

And then I also love to add in an aden and anais blanket. They are muslin swaddling blankets, and are huge! I got some when my last DS was born and I LOVE LOVE LOVE them. They have a line for Target, I think they are only online, and I think the Target line is as good as the originals.

These blankets are great not only for swaddling, but for covering the stroller when the baby is sleeping or to block light, using as a nursing cover...etc...etc. I have used them for everything. We still use them now, a year later. They are great in the summer because they are so breathable.

Here they are at Target.

I second these! They are wonderful! Amazon carries them as well.

Target carries the ones that are 44 x 44, but there are also some that are 47 x 47 - not a huge difference but I did see some notes about that on Amazon ;)

I have the 47 inch ones.

I agree with getting a good book. I like to buy something that is for an older child, but a book that they would possibly keep forever...like James Herriott's Treasury for Children, Mother Goose, something like that.

Here they are at Target.

This is pretty much verbatim what I was going to suggest. My Mom cut up a bunch of very large thin cotton and thicker cotton flannel squares and made them into "blankets". I still use them with my just-turned 3 yr old as a blanket for a nap or a snuggle, and know I will use them with the coming babe.

We also always give a book - usually a board book that is a favorite in our house or something along those lines. I naiively like to think it encourages the parents to start to read to their kids while they're still babies ;)

Baby sleep sack in a light cotton weight for spring/summer.

My dc used those every.single.night. The sleep sacks are awesome.

You can find them various places including amazon, sometimes a Babies R Us store, European baby stores, etc....

The aden and anais company I mentioned earlier...they make sleep sacks, too. :) They are awesome. The cotton muslin is so nice in the spring/summer.

Again, they are at Target online and amazon...

I absolutely love my Aden and Anais blankets! I still use them every day. They're so perfect for summer. I really prefer the full size ones because a can fold them in half when I want a second layer and still have enough blanket, but the Target ones are nice.

We also love Sophie the Giraffe. Pricey for a teething toy, but it's natural rubber and food grade dyes. My LO loves to bite down on the rubber.

Here they are at Target.

I was just coming over here to recomend Aden + Anais blankets! They are so awesome! Most of the receiving blankets new parents get are too small to swaddle with, and they get a lot of chunky knitted ones. LOVE those huge, thin swaddling blankets that are totally breathable. We swaddled our son right through a Baltimore summer in those.

Things we got with our first baby that got used:

Items off our registry (the travel baby changing pad turned out to be one of the best because I like it better than the changing pad in any diaper bag and so used it ALL the time as well as at home at times when we didn't have a changing table)

Books (Some more than others)

Diapers and wipes

Onesies, gown-type outfits, etc.

toys

Some of the quilts/blankets/etc type stuff we received -- some were favorites others barely got touched.

Most of the cute decoration/dust gathering type stuff never got put up and got given away in one of our moves.

He only wore about half the 0-3 months clothes we got -- we're planning to use the rest with this kid, even though she's a girl because I felt so guilty about how much still had tags on it when he outgrew it

What does she NEED? A lot of people are suggesting books and other great presents - but it might be that this lady's needs right now are more along the line of baby basics… especially if this is her first, or if there's a large gap between kids, financial issues, etc.

I'd try to find out what the needs are first and go from there. :)

I don't know if it's a good gift, but it's what I gave my closest friends when they finally had a baby, so it was *intended* to be spectacular, lol--a gift card for your favorite photography studio. It's SO hard to get that scheduled w/ a newborn & SO important (to me). I think I'd love having help w/ that. But maybe choosing a studio is too personal? I don't know.

I don't know if it's a good gift, but it's what I gave my closest friends when they finally had a baby, so it was *intended* to be spectacular, lol--a gift card for your favorite photography studio. It's SO hard to get that scheduled w/ a newborn & SO important (to me). I think I'd love having help w/ that. But maybe choosing a studio is too personal? I don't know.

What a great idea!!

What does she NEED? A lot of people are suggesting books and other great presents - but it might be that this lady's needs right now are more along the line of baby basics… especially if this is her first, or if there's a large gap between kids, financial issues, etc.

I'd try to find out what the needs are first and go from there. :)

:iagree:

The blankets look lovely, but I think my dh would pass out at the price.