Menu

Book a Week in 2011 - Week fifteen

Happy Sunday! Today is the start of week 15 in our quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Welcome to everyone who is just joining in, welcome back to our regulars and to all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 books blog to link to your reviews. The link is in my signature.

52 books blog - n is for nature: Continuing with theme of poetry since April is National Poetry Month. What do you think of Poetry. Did your high school or college English teachers instill a love for the genre or just one of those things to memorize? As I've aged and gain wisdom, plus started homeschooling, I've discovered a new appreciation for it.

Do you like poetry that's out of the box or standard? Have you ever attempted to write poetry? This week I wrote a poem and a haiku and posted it on the blog for all to see. Check it out. Then it's your turn. Your task this week besides reading poetry is to write a poem and post it. If I can do it, so can you. :001_smile:

What are you reading this week?

Link to previous week #14

This week I finished reading "Harvest Moon" (virgin river series) by Robyn Carr and "Almost Home" (chesapeake diaries series) by Mariah Stewart.

The fiction book I'll be starting this week is a historical fiction novel, #2 in a series by Ben Kane "The Silver Eagle." Excellent series. My treadmill nook book is "A Man Called Outlaw" by K.M. Weiland. On par with Louis l'amour if you like westerns.

I'm reading a few non fiction books. Finally learned how to multitask with my reading. I'm still on week 8 of "The Artist's Way: A spiritual path to higher creativity" by Julia Cameron. On chapter two of "A Thomas Jefferson Education" and taking copious notes. Finally getting restarted on my U.S. Presidents reading project and started "The Real George Washington."

James is reading "The Arc, The Reed and The Firecloud" by Jenny Cote.

Heh--I just posted in the old thread yesterday...I probably should have just waited for this one.

I just finished The View From Saturday today (reading with DS)

I'm reading Jesus Wars: How Four Patriarchs, Three Queens, and Two Emperors Decided What Christians Would Believe for the Next 1,500 years now.

also listening to audiobooks of Anne Lamott's Grace...Eventually (a re-read) and Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything

Finished

15. Sinclair Lewis, It Can't Happen Here.

Set a year in the future, It Can't Happen Here is about a Democratic President, elected in the midst of a Depression and constant overseas wars on a platform of addressing the intractable unemployment, the public perception that only big banks and corporations are benefiting from politics as usual, and the general economic malaise and crisis of confidence of the American people ... but who then concentrates all government power in the Executive and institutes a warmongering capitalist-fascist dictatorship (called "Corpoism") in which Americans (except the banks and corporations) lose all civil rights and are plunged into poverty.

Conceptually interesting. Not great writing, at all; in making his political points, Lewis is as subtle as a poke in the eye. And his dialogue is so very, very awful as to be unintentionally funny. But a quick and interesting read.

Light reading this week. As I enjoy watching The Walton's while ironing, I decided to read the books upon which this is based:

#22 - Spencer's Mountain, by Earl Hamner, Jr.

#23 - The Homecoming, by Earl Hamner, Jr.

Currently reading:

#24 - Mount Joy, by Daisy Newman. About a college student who takes a pilgrimage to Spain to try to find some direction for her life. Just started, but so far it's holding my attention.

I am finally back to reading again this week.

Red Herring Without Mustard by Alan Bradley. I loved, loved, loved this book! I thought this was even better than the first two in the series.

Left Neglected by Lisa Genova. This was a very good book as well. This is from the author of 'Still Alice.' I really enjoy her writing and humour.

I am now reading 'Olive Kittredge' by Elizabeth Strout. It is very depressing but so far I am enjoying it. I am also slowly reading and enjoying "One Thousand Gifts' by Anne Voscamp. This book, for me, is a life0changing book. I love it when I read one of those! :001_smile:

I have about a dozen books lying around that most everyone else read 10-20 years ago. I picked up a few at the library book sale and some are from my mom's house. Anyway, while waiting for the third Fitzwilliam Darcy novel to arrive in the mail, I read Chocolat by Joanne Harris. I guess I liked it, but not as much as I was expecting to. I remembered part way through it that our book club had read her Holy Fools book a few years ago. I started to be a little bothered by the repeated them that everything associated with the church is bad and anything associated with pagans/witches/gypsies is good. Just bothered me that it's a dominant theme in both books. But I put the movie on hold at the library and am hoping it is not as obvious there. Can't we just celebrate chocolate?!

These Three Remain, the third in the Fitzwilliam Darcy trilogy arrived and I am now in the middle of that. And Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother is now ready for me at the library so I'll try to get that one done too.

2011 Reading List

21. Chocolat-Joanne Harris

20. Where the Red Fern Grows-Wilson Rawls

19. Duty and Desire-Pamela Aidan

18. An Assembly Such As This-Pamela Aidan

17. Left Neglected-Lisa Genova

16. Classics in the Classroom-Michael Clay Thompson

15. True You-Janet Jackson

14. The SamuraiĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Garden-Gail Tsukiyama

13. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet-Jamie Ford

12. GodĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Middle Finger-Richard Grant

11. Kristin Lavransdatter-I: The Wreath-Sigrid Undset

10. The Housekeeper and the Professor-Yoko Ogawa

9. A Lucky Child-Thomas Buergenthal

8. Three Cups of Tea-Greg Mortenson

7. Run-Ann Patchett

6. The Red Queen-Philippa Gregory

5. Agnes Grey-Anne Bronte

4. The Daughter of Time-Josephine Tey

3. Mythology-Edith Hamilton

2. Phantom Toll Booth-Norton Juster

1. Her Fearful Symmetry-Audrey Niffenegger

I'm still reading the Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I'm currently on The Long Winter. These are excellent books! It just goes to prove the old adage, "Better late than never!" Thank goodness I have the opportunity to read these fantastic books that I missed in my younger years.

Also, for some strange reason, a Tamar Myer's book jumped into my stack at the library: Assault and Pepper. ;) I've read several of her books in the past. I almost never read these types of books, but something in the way she writes just plain tickles my funny bone. It's my comic relief when I'm starting to take life too seriously. :D I just can't read them one after another, because she tends to repeat herself. This tendency is funny and cozy if it's been a while since I've read the last book, but not if I just closed the cover of one. (I have the same feeling with the first few Harry Potter books; they repeat themselves so much at the beginning that it's tiresome to read straight through...)

Edited by Medieval Mom

I've read:

History Of The Ancient World

Evangelical Is Not Enough

Square Foot Gardening (and yes, I really did read the whole thing)

A lot of cookbooks (I know, they don't count)

The Backyard Homestead

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

The Spirited Child

I'm reading:

Fun: The Omnivore's Dilemma (audiobook - slow going as I can't have it on with DD in the car)

Reading Project: Herodotus' Histories

Religion: Reasons To Believe (almost done)

In Queue:

Museum of Innocence (trying to not have too many going at once)

I've put Eleanor of Acquitane away for now. I want to read it when I reach that point in history in my self study. Reading it now would be "out of order".

I read Jenny Wurts' 'Servant of the Empire' because it was the only fiction I could find in the house that wasn't in picture story book format. One day I will have my own house and will install enough book shelves that my happy fiction books won't need to live in the shed.

I must have been in desperate need because I finished the book in one day.

Rosie

Finished:

1. The Secret Life of Houdini: the Making of a Superman by William Kalush

2. 13 Treasures by Michelle Harrison

3. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

4. The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart

5. Blink: the Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell

6. The Great Railway Bazaar by Paul Theroux

7. Phantastes by George MacDonald

8. Napoleon's Buttons: How 17 Molecules Changed the World (LeCouteur)

9. Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin

10. Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech

Working on:

11. Mountains Beyond Mountains (Kidder)

12 Tipping Point (Gladwell)

13. Operatives, Spies, and Sabateurs (O'Donnell)

14. The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat (Sacks)

15. The New Seed Starters Handbook (Bubel)

100 pages left on 11 and 12 so they should be done this week. Maybe I can get caught up in a few months when my big paper is done.

I read two books: Kingdom Coming, about the Christian dominionist movement, and 2012 and the End of the World, about where apocalyptic 2012 ideas came from. (I am sure you will all be happy to know that probably nothing will happen in 2012, at least not more probably than in any other year.)

Right now I'm reading The Dirty Life, about starting an organic farm, and Sapphique, a YA dystopian novel.

Heh--I just posted in the old thread yesterday...I probably should have just waited for this one.

I'm reading Jesus Wars: How Four Patriarchs, Three Queens, and Two Emperors Decided What Christians Would Believe for the Next 1,500 years now.

[/url]

ooh, that looks good!!

Read City of Fallen Angels, the newest in the Mortal Instruments series.

Rogue Angel Book 1, Destiny. Just started this series and so far I am a fan. Indiana Jones, Laura Croft, Daniel Jackson and Amelia Peabody rolled into one exciting character. A little history, a little paranormal, a little action adventure and you have a winning combination. Can't wait to read the next in the series. I gave it 3 stars because it takes me a little while sometimes to fall in love with a series but I did enjoy it very much.

Reading and adoring, When Character was King by Peggy Noonan. I will actually be writing a good review of this one on my blog because it is a very special book.

Still reading Oxford History of the US, Grand Expectations, James Patterson and because I was too lazy to go downstairs and get my book, I started The Wave, by Susan Casey, which is a grand read about rogue waves.

also listening to audiobooks of Anne Lamott's Grace...Eventually (a re-read) and Moonwalking

with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything

These look great! On my wish list. Thanks.

I'm almost finished with Under the Tuscan Sun: at home in Italy by Frances Mayes.

Lovely, immersive non-fiction about a couple who buy and renovate a wonderful old property in rural Italy.

You can feel Mayes love for the Italian countryside and all it has to offer.

Gardeners, cooks, home renovators, and those who long to leave the familiar and visit/live a life in a new setting will enjoy this book.

I can't tell you how much I want to visit (or move to) Tuscany now...

Just started it, but so far it's fascinating.

Thanks. I may get this one myself.

I read The Handmaid's Tale and hated it!:lol: I pushed through hoping I'd like the ending and hated the ending, too.:lol:

The ending was the worst part, IMO. I used to push through and read books I hated, but don't do that anymore. eg I hated The Grapes of Wrath, and hated the ending even more.

Do you like poetry that's out of the box or standard? Have you ever attempted to write poetry? This week I wrote a poem and a haiku and posted it on the blog for all to see. Check it out. Then it's your turn. Your task this week besides reading poetry is to write a poem and post it. If I can do it, so can you. :001_smile:

What are you reading this week?

[/url]

My latest poem was Demonic Math (inspired by the latest WTM board kerfluffle). I have other poems listed on my blog under "poetry" (creative, aren't I ;)?). LOVE poetry.Make my kids memorize it, write it, read it.

I read Nora Ephron's I Can't Remember Anything this weekend. The woman is a wit. Her book is a bit bittersweet = the theme, growing old.

I might actually tackle, Old Man and the Sea this week. I feel like I really should read a classic at some point and it doesn't look too long. How's that for wimpy?

Off to check out your poem, Robin! :)

I read Jenny Wurts' 'Servant of the Empire' because it was the only fiction I could find in the house that wasn't in picture story book format. One day I will have my own house and will install enough book shelves that my happy fiction books won't need to live in the shed.

I must have been in desperate need because I finished the book in one day.

Rosie

I have read this series. It's co-written by Raymond Feist, right? Great fantasy trilogy, if I remember correctly. It's been a long time since I've visited those books. Thanks for the reminder!

What did you hate about it? I was thinking about reading it next...

Speaking of next...will it ever come?!!? Yes, I'm almost embarrassed to admit this in this group of voracious readers, but I am still trudging and toiling through A Tale of Two Cities. I must admit---it has gotten significantly better and easier to understand now that I'm beyond Chapter 4 in Part 1. I don't have to read with a dictionary constantly by my side anymore, but it's still slow going. I have to finish by Wednesday though for my book club meeting. Only 300 pages to go. Sigh... I report back with my triumph when I'm done. :D

I'm right there with you. A good friend wanted me to read this book. She loves Dickens. I'm about as far as you. I feel that he spent chapters putting as many vocab words on a page as would possible fit, then he spent a chapter getting me interested in two characters, now he's back to putting as many vocab words on a page as will fit!! :001_rolleyes: I'm trudging through it. If he would have just stuck with the characters he finally introduced us to, he would have had me, but no...

Just keep reading, just keep reading...

What did you hate about it? I was thinking about reading it next...

Just about everything.;)

The writing itself drove me nuts. The author obviously thinks that grammar rules do not apply to her at all! Her punctuation is ridiculous.

The premise was an interesting concept but I didn't think she carried it out well at all. I really didn't care about any of the characters. There wasn't any sense of resolution at the end at all. If I wasn't reading it on my Kindle, I might have thrown it across the room when I was done.;)

I kept reading it because I was mildly interested it in how it would end. When I got to the end I could've kicked myself for pushing through when I could have spent my time reading something else.:lol:

I know there are plenty of people out there who love it. The Amazon reviews prove that. I also know there are plenty of books that I love and others hate.;)

I'm right there with you. A good friend wanted me to read this book. She loves Dickens. I'm about as far as you. I feel that he spent chapters putting as many vocab words on a page as would possible fit, then he spent a chapter getting me interested in two characters, now he's back to putting as many vocab words on a page as will fit!! :001_rolleyes: I'm trudging through it. If he would have just stuck with the characters he finally introduced us to, he would have had me, but no...

Just keep reading, just keep reading...

Dickens was paid by the word. ;)

It has been slow reading for me as I've been addicted to the forums and other sites researching curricula for next school year.

I did finish Raising Geeks and I just didn't get anything out of the book. The author and I have the same parenting values. So much so that there was nothing for me to learn from her book. I feel like it was a waste of time not because I don't agree but because I already do everything she recommends. Well, except for the last chapter.

I'm still listening to Anna Karenina on audio. I like it, but I'm getting annoyed with Anna. Curious as to how it ends.

I've started St. Teresa of Avila in my ongoing WEM quest. I can't imagine living in 1500s as a woman. You have two options get married or become a nun.

I've started St. Teresa of Avila in my ongoing WEM quest. I can't imagine living in 1500s as a woman. You have two options get married or become a nun.

I'm not sure being a nun wasn't the better option. I'm inspired. I'll try for another few chapters today if I can :)

Rosie

Working On:

The Red Garden, Alice Hoffman

The Missing, Beverly Lewis

Don Quixote, new translation by Edith Grossman

Lord of the Flies, William Golding

16. The Secret, Beverly Lewis

15. The Girl Who Chased the Moon, Sarah Allen

14. One Week in December, Holly Chamberlin

13. The Thorn, Beverly Lewis

12. Salting Roses, Lorelle Marinello

11. The Well Trained Mind, 2004 Edition

10. Night, Elie Wiesel

9. Last Light Over Carolina, Mary Alice Munroe

8. Homeschooling, A Family's Journey, Gregory and Martine Millman

7. Time is a River, Mary Alice Munroe

6. Commencement, Courtney Sullivan

5. The Redemption of Sarah Cain, Beverly Lewis

4. Thursdays at Eight, Debbie Macomber

3. The Three Weismann's of Westport, Cathleen Schine

2. Rebecca, Daphne du Maurier

1. The Search, Nora Roberts

I'm not sure being a nun wasn't the better option. I'm inspired. I'll try for another few chapters today if I can :)

Rosie

I so would have chosen to be a nun. I wouldn't want to be married to someone whom I may not like and significantly older than me, if my father didn't allow my input. Plus, I shudder at the thought of having baby after baby and most of them dieing. I'd much rather be a nun.

I started Scientist in the Crib last night. So far I love it. The authors keep you chuckling. I am going to pass this to my sister, who has a three month old, when I'm done.

I finished listening to The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake (of which I am still trying to decipher the point and finished reading The Betrayal of the Blood Lily. I also listened to Water for Elephants which I thoroughly enjoyed.

This week I'm reading Secret Son by Laila Lalami.

Edited by thescrappyhomeschooler

I struggled with A Tale of Two Cities too. I'm glad I can say I've finally read it, but I won't be re-reading it any time soon.

We're all so different. I liked A Tale of Twon Cities, but struggled all the way through Don Quixote and could not make it through A Pilgrim's Progress.

I'm guessing that becoming a prostitute might have been a third option.

Regards,

Kareni

I'm guessing that becoming a prostitute might have been a third option.

Regards,

Kareni

Depends on where you lived. In Iceland you could divorce your husband as easily as he could divorce you, and if you owned land, it was still yours. Not sure if you had the right to stay single, or if you did at what age, but you could divorce any dh your father forced you to marry. In The Saga of the Icelanders Snorri Sturluson's dd divorced two of the men her father arranged for her to marry. Snorri (you don't refer to Icelanders by their last names, because they don't usually have them--Sturluson isn't a true surname) was a politician, writer & historian (real person).

Edited by Karin

I finished "The Girl Who Chased the Moon" by Sarah Addison Allen yesterday. I hadn't planned to pick a book based on its cover but when I saw this cover at Target, I fell in love and ordered it from the library.

I really liked the book! Though I could have done without the one s*x scene. That annoys me...especially when it is only one and could have been written without it. ;)

Anyway, sweet book with a homey feel! Check the attachments to see the cover. I couldn't figure out how to post it in the post itself.

I hadn't planned to pick a book based on its cover but when I saw this cover at Target, I fell in love and ordered it from the library.

I couldn't figure out how to post it in the post itself.

Very pretty cover!

BTW, if you want to put a pic directly in your post, look at the toolbar & click on the little picture that is a small yellow box w/ mountains & a moon (or sun :lol:). That will bring up another box where you can enter the url/web address for the picture you want to post. HTH! :001_smile:

I finished The Broom of the System by David Foster Wallace last night.

It was bizarre. I enjoyed it. Parts of it were very, very funny; other parts just were confusing or odd. The storytelling is a bit uneven in parts. (And I really disliked the first chapter.) I think that if you were a college student in the late 1980s, you are the best demographic to enjoy some of the humor, puns, satire, etc... in this book.

It's a very unconventional, somewhat plotless, stream of consciousness filled, philosophy & psychology heavy book with an unexpected (or maybe not?) ending. I'd give it a qualified recommendation as this is definitely not mainstream fiction (and therefore would not generally appeal to the masses). If you're comfortable stepping outside of mainstream fiction, I'd suggest giving this book a try.

The author's magnum opus is Infinite Jest, which I haven't read yet. (I need to wait until I have time to tackle a 1,000+ page book.) I'll definitely be adding it to my list to read as I think he is a very talented author.

I read One Crazy Summer http://www.amazon.com/Crazy-Summer-Historical-Fiction-Awards/dp/0060760885 which fits the rules, and am reading two adult books, Olivier and Parrot in America and Living Above Mediocrity. Olivier and Parrot in America is well written and has really drawn me in, but I'm not thrilled about the ending, so hope that the ending means something. But that man can really write, can't he? This is one of the best written novels I've read this year.

Olivier and Parrot in America is well written and has really drawn me in, but I'm not thrilled about the ending, so hope that the ending means something. But that man can really write, can't he? This is one of the best written novels I've read this year.

I agree; I think Peter Carey is a fabulous writer & I so enjoyed reading Parrot & Olivier in America. In that particular book, I loved the way he could turn a phrase, the subtle humor, & the historical details. I plan to read more of his books. I found a lot of the info in the book fascinating too. Did homes really exist like the one where Parrot first met the engraver -- w/ secret passageways like that? I actually tried to google that after I read the book, but couldn't find anything that really answered my question. Do you happen to know?

As for my own book reading, I stopped reading Cleopatra & returned it to the library. I hadn't made much progress on it & I knew I couldn't renew it (it's still on many waiting lists). I read about the first 50 pages & it was ok; it wasn't drawing me in like I thought it might. Plus, the author states at the beginning that there is very little real or accurate info out there as far as Cleopatra; yet, she started providing many little details of Cleopatra's early life. I have to wonder how much is accurate (or at least as accurate as it can be) & how much is fiction. It's supposed to be a biography, but I wasn't sure I could trust the veracity of the info, kwim? :tongue_smilie: I may read it at some future time, or maybe not.

I agree; I think Peter Carey is a fabulous writer & I so enjoyed reading Parrot & Olivier in America. In that particular book, I loved the way he could turn a phrase, the subtle humor, & the historical details. I plan to read more of his books. I found a lot of the info in the book fascinating too. Did homes really exist like the one where Parrot first met the engraver -- w/ secret passageways like that? I actually tried to google that after I read the book, but couldn't find anything that really answered my question. Do you happen to know?

No, I don't know about those passageways, but I wouldn't be suprised if there were homes like that.

I finished Her Mother's Hope by Francine Rivers a couple of days ago. I usually love her but I was underwhelmed. It kept me interested but I found myself so frustrated by the stubborn, pig-headed women! I mean, I know you're lives were hard but get over yourselves and do what's right.:glare::lol:

So far this year I've read...

Her Mother's Hope

Her Daughter's Dream (I accidentally read these out of order

Room:A Novel

The Book Thief

The Cellist of Sarajevo

One Thousand Gifts

The Handmaid's Tale

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl Who Played with Fire

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

The Passion of Mary Margaret