Menu

As a secular HSer, would I want to see Andrew Pudewa speak?

I'm sorry if that's a weird question! I just haven't quite been able to figure this out by searching. He's doing several sessions at my local conference, and he's basically the only speaker I'd be interested in seeing there. Can anyone tell me whether his content is very Christian-oriented or whether a secular HSer might be comfortable in his sessions?

Thank you for any insight you can offer!

I recently saw him at the Greenville convention. He did make a couple off hand remarks about his faith but nothing I would call "preachy".

Take a gander at the IEW website, I believe they have some free recordings of seminars that you can listen to in order to get an idea of what he is like.

I can say I love listening to him speak. He is awesome!

My husband went to two or three or his sessions at Greenville. He says Pudewa was entertaining and the sessions were okay. He gets the Christian vibe, but there was nothing he found offensive (he walked out of a Kern session).

I think it depends on the topic. Dh and I saw his talk on poetry memorization and it was awesome! He is such a good speaker, very entertaining and informative (though, if I recall correctly, much of what he said was anecdotal). He did mention religion a couple of times, but it probably amounted to 60 seconds total of his entire talk.

We also went to one on fairy tales and it was very religious, but still interesting. It wasn't information that pertained to my home and family, but it wasn't an hour I spent squirming and glancing at the exit.

I don't recall anything preachy. He's very engaging and funny. My boys love to listen to him talk. I like him as a speaker. He's easy to follow.

IEW is easy for my boys to follow - as a writer who just always wrote and never learned how step by step - it's hard for me to grasp.

I'm sorry if that's a weird question! I just haven't quite been able to figure this out by searching. He's doing several sessions at my local conference, and he's basically the only speaker I'd be interested in seeing there. Can anyone tell me whether his content is very Christian-oriented or whether a secular HSer might be comfortable in his sessions?

Thank you for any insight you can offer!

I saw him when he and SWB came to WA state, and I don't remember anything from either of them, and my radar is fairly "up".

Let me see if I can find my notes from that lecture. He was cuter and fluffier than SWB. Seems slightly more you-ladies-could-use-some-encouragement.

Here are my notes:

<begin paste>

4 errors in teaching writing (grades 1-4)

Most common #1: Over-correction

A) Correction- eliminate this from your vocabulary. For a child "less than perfect writing" is NORMAL (his emphasis). In writing you can do things that are "legal" grammatically and still sound horrible. Writing is like music: practice leads to PROGRESSIVE improvement. Replace "correcting" with "editing".

Don't mark the paper and then sit down with kid and go over it blow by blow. They will tune out. Fix the errors and then kid recopies. He suggests PEN for first draft so the kid has to cross out rather than erase. This makes it messy, but 1) child will never claim it is good enough to not require a second draft and 2) boost of how much better it looks in re-write. He encourages re-write in PENCIL, so the child can erase little technical errors and make it pretty.

Keep a list of your kid's errors...this is your LESSON PLAN to "teach at the point of need" . "If you teach the facts they will intuit the laws-if you teach the laws they cannot intuit the facts." He stressed that formal grammar was for older kids.

In conclusion: child writes, this is "edited", child recopies and (eventually) learns the rules.

B) "over"

Make as few "edits" as you can to make it "legal".

From this, make a list of what you need to teach

Start young with this rule "there is no such thing as a one and only copy of anything--get the child used to expecting a 2nd draft". NO erasing on first copy (pen!). Try to avoid a 3rd copy.

Error #2: Unlcear assignments

Clarity of assignment=willingness=sucessful peice

Define length because length dictates structure.

"Always give assignments in # of paragraphs and give them how many facts per paragraph"....otherwise child agonizes over how much detail and may freeze or go on and on and hate it all.

Error #3: Withholding help. He gives analogy of "sink or swim". Who teaches a child to swim that way? Hold hand, give advise on next word or sentence over and over until child can move ahead on own, just as we carefully teach floating and strokes before putting child in alone over head.Beware of the philosophy of "you can't copy". Everything we write is from our experiences and there is nothing truly original. If the kid is stuck, help them with suggestions. "Retell an existing story" "You don't have to think of it all" "It is okay to tell kids what to write to get them going".

Information, confident in ability to do the job, desire---three components that lead to independence (he generalizes this to more than writing and points to independence as our goal in raising children).

Error #4: Over-expectation

Don't compare to others

Expect them to do THEIR best and help them. Be willing to give them enough help to make them feel they can accomplish the task.

Edited by kalanamak

Most common #1: Over-correction

A) Correction- eliminate this from your vocabulary. For a child "less than perfect writing" is NORMAL (his emphasis). In writing you can do things that are "legal" grammatically and still sound horrible. Writing is like music: practice leads to PROGRESSIVE improvement. Replace "correcting" with "editing".

Don't mark the paper and then sit down with kid and go over it blow by blow. They will tune out. Fix the errors and then kid recopies. He suggests PEN for first draft so the kid has to cross out rather than erase. This makes it messy, but 1) child will never claim it is good enough to not require a second draft and 2) boost of how much better it looks in re-write. He encourages re-write in PENCIL, so the child can erase little technical errors and make it pretty.

Keep a list of your kid's errors...this is your LESSON PLAN to "teach at the point of need" . "If you teach the facts they will intuit the laws-if you teach the laws they cannot intuit the facts." He stressed that formal grammar was for older kids.

In conclusion: child writes, this is "edited", child recopies and (eventually) learns the rules.

B) "over"

Make as few "edits" as you can to make it "legal".

From this, make a list of what you need to teach

Start young with this rule "there is no such thing as a one and only copy of anything--get the child used to expecting a 2nd draft". NO erasing on first copy (pen!). Try to avoid a 3rd copy.

Error #2: Unlcear assignments

Clarity of assignment=willingness=sucessful peice

Define length because length dictates structure.

"Always give assignments in # of paragraphs and give them how many facts per paragraph"....otherwise child agonizes over how much detail and may freeze or go on and on and hate it all.

Error #3: Withholding help. He gives analogy of "sink or swim". Who teaches a child to swim that way? Hold hand, give advise on next word or sentence over and over until child can move ahead on own, just as we carefully teach floating and strokes before putting child in alone over head.Beware of the philosophy of "you can't copy". Everything we write is from our experiences and there is nothing truly original. If the kid is stuck, help them with suggestions. "Retell an existing story" "You don't have to think of it all" "It is okay to tell kids what to write to get them going".

Information, confident in ability to do the job, desire---three components that lead to independence (he generalizes this to more than writing and points to independence as our goal in raising children).

Error #4: Over-expectation

Don't compare to others

Expect them to do THEIR best and help them. Be willing to give them enough help to make them feel they can accomplish the task.

I like this. Thanks for posting. The bolded part really hit home for me.

I have heard him mention politics more often than religion. It is pretty easy to dismiss those things, imo.

Yep. I think it would be more about whether you are conservative than whether you are Christian. He is a Catholic convert, and he keeps it pretty middle-of-the-road in his talks and appeals to most. He does have one where he talks about the need for educated Christian leaders for the future, but it's always a call to Christian parents, not a slam on anyone else.

But that is only in his talks that are obviously about parenting, politics, etc. The talks about writing will not really have any of that content.

Me either, and I've used a ton of his stuff. And I'm Catholic.

asta

He doesn't talk about it much. We were tipped off a few years ago, because my closest friend (who is Catholic) and I were listening to him speak about worldview, and he mentioned a few references that we recognized (I was raised Catholic.) So she went to his booth and started asking him for recommendations as a Catholic. He told her the story of his religious background and gave her some great ideas. :001_smile:

But that is only in his talks that are obviously about parenting, politics, etc. The talks about writing will not really have any of that content.

I disagree. I've seen him talk politics in writing talks. But, he may have toned it down for GHC vs. other conventions in the past. Again, it's not something he dwells on, and it's never been too harsh, imo.

I think it depends on the topic.

:iagree:

Maybe there is some 'reverse discrimination' at some conventions, where he isn't allowed to share his faith, but one speech I attended AWESOME and it was CHRISTIAN. <gasp>

At any rate, he is an excellent speaker and I doubt anyone would walk out of any of his talks. ;)

I've heard him speak 3x. The first time I don't think a single religious reference was made, the 2nd time there was a comment made about gays and marriage and what was the world coming to type comment (he's obviously against it LOL), and the 3rd time there were just a few references to values and God regarding his family.

Nothing preachy as others have stated.

I'm a secular hser and definitely know how to take what I can use and leave the rest behind. I'm not offended when I hear a speaker make a religious based comment because I know they aren't going to convert me and it's their perspective. I can only think of 2 speakers I couldn't listen to and had to leave in my many yrs of hs conferences.

Maybe there is some 'reverse discrimination' at some conventions, where he isn't allowed to share his faith, but one speech I attended AWESOME and it was CHRISTIAN. <gasp>

:confused: Every speaker I have ever seen at any homeschooling convention has been a Christian. I don't understand this comment at all.

Thanks again for the comments, everyone; I'm still :bigear: I really don't mind if he refers to his faith or his politics or whatever, but I wondered whether the entire content of his sessions would be Christ-centered. Based on the descriptions of his lectures, I figured that I'd find them comfortable, but I'd rather know for sure before I spend $40 on registration! Thankfully, since he's pretty much the only speaker I'm interested in seeing there (for several reasons, not just this one), I'll have plenty of time to spend in the used curriculum sale room :thumbup:

Edited by melissel
Clarifying my thoughts