Menu

Book a Week in 2011 - Week Fourteen

Happy Sunday! Today is the start of week 14 in our quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Welcome to everyone who is just joining in, welcome back to our regulars and to all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 books blog to link to your reviews. The link is in my signature.

52 books blog - M is for Milton. April is national poetry month. This week highlighting Milton and Paradise Lost. Found some interesting, educational websites with background on Milton and the poem. Well worth investigating.

April is also Autism Awareness Month and lots of activities happening around the blogosphere. I found something really interesting - Sensory friendly film events. Awesome idea.

What are you reading this week?

Edited by Mytwoblessings

April is also Autism Awareness Month and lots of activities happening around the blogosphere. I found something really interesting - Sensory friendly film events. Awesome idea.

That's pretty cool. Did you post about this just out on the regular board (so those who don't read the book posts will see it)?

ETA: I started a new thread for it (http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260647).

Edited by Stacia

I finished:

#20 - Sundays in America: A Yearlong Road Trip in Search of Christian Faith, by Suzanne Strempek Shea. As I said last week, this book lacked something for me. While she was honest and the reading was quick, it was somehow bland.

#21 - Out of My Heart, by Agnes Sligh Turnbull. In my quest to read through the huge stack of books that have been piled up for some time, I eagerly chose this one. I was disappointed. I have read most of Turnbull's fiction and plan to re-read them this year (and probably into next year) before parting with them. Out of My Heart was her first non-fiction work and, while not autobiographical, it did lend a peek into her heart and a tad into her life. I found two chapters to be somewhat heartwarming, the rest to be either (generically speaking) didactically preachy, or relatively confusing in thought processes based on perception of the author through her fiction and through certain other commentary contained in this work. I was most disappointed, sorry I read this book, and hopeful that it will not negatively color my intended enjoyment in re-reading her other books.

I am currently re-reading a novel I first read back in the latter '70's.

#22 - Spencer's Mountain, by Earl Hamner, Jr. I plan to follow this with The Homecoming, which I have never read and which will then mean I have read the three books our library has by this author.

I feel like a bad kid because I haven't finished anything since the 14th of March! Eek! I'm toiling through The Tale of Two Cities with a dictionary (nope, I didn't know what a blunderbuss was before this ;) ). I really want to start something different, but I'm the one that suggested to my book club that we try some Dickens and now I feel obligated to finish. The meeting is on the 13th.:eek: Somebody tell me that it gets easier...or that I can do it...or something.

I'm behind! :willy_nilly:

List so far:

* The Butterfly Mosque

* Three Cups of Tea

* Whose Body?

* Room

* The Imperfectionists

* Water Witches

* Operation Mincemeat

* Wedding Season

* Like Water for Chocolate

* The Lightning Thief

* 2001: A Space Odyssey

* The Magicians

I really enjoyed Three Cups of Tea, although I know I read it several years later than everyone else on the planet. :tongue_smilie:

The Butterfly Mosque--about an American atheist who goes to Egypt to work, converts to Islam, and marries an Egyptian Muslim--was fascinating and a nice balance to Nomad, which I read last fall.

I haven't finished anything since the middle of March. I am having difficulty in focusing on just one book. I am in the middle of "The Red Herring Without Mustard" by Alan Bradley. I am hopeful that I will finish this one. ;)

Here are the books that I have read in March:

Fellowship of the Ring by Tolkien

School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermiester

The Red Thread by Ann Hood

Still Missing by Chevy Stevens

More Than A Carpenter by Josh McDowell

I feel like a bad kid because I haven't finished anything since the 14th of March! Eek! I'm toiling through The Tale of Two Cities with a dictionary (nope, I didn't know what a blunderbuss was before this ;) ). I really want to start something different, but I'm the one that suggested to my book club that we try some Dickens and now I feel obligated to finish. The meeting is on the 13th.:eek: Somebody tell me that it gets easier...or that I can do it...or something.

I liked the book overall, although there were some slower bits. How far along are you?

I finally finished Black by Ted Dekker this week. It took me 3 weeks to read ... I just didn't really care what happened to the characters, but once I invested several hundred pages I didn't want to give up on it, either. I also finished reading Carry On, Mr. Bowditch aloud to the kids. We loved it! It is such an inspiring biography.

I started Mrs. Mike and The Core. We will start Justin Morgan had a Horse tomorrow for a read-aloud.

I've only read 10 books for the year, so I have some making up to do!

Um. The best I can truthfully manage is to tell you that you won't be the only one in history not to like it. :D

I read a book on Aura Soma. It was like reading a New Age fairy tale!

:)

Rosie

Finished Duty and Desire by Pamela Aidan, the second book in her Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman series. I am waiting for book 3 to show up in the mail--it shipped last Monday. Hopefully tomorrow. I also just finished Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls and have the smeared eye makeup from the tears to prove it. I'll assign it to dd for schoolwork now. At the moment nothing in progress.

2011 Reading List

20. Where the Red Fern Grows-Wilson Rawls

19. Duty and Desire-Pamela Aidan

18. An Assembly Such As This-Pamela Aidan

17. Left Neglected-Lisa Genova

16. Classics in the Classroom-Michael Clay Thompson

15. True You-Janet Jackson

14. The SamuraiĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Garden-Gail Tsukiyama

13. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet-Jamie Ford

12. GodĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Middle Finger-Richard Grant

11. Kristin Lavransdatter-I: The Wreath-Sigrid Undset

10. The Housekeeper and the Professor-Yoko Ogawa

9. A Lucky Child-Thomas Buergenthal

8. Three Cups of Tea-Greg Mortenson

7. Run-Ann Patchett

6. The Red Queen-Philippa Gregory

5. Agnes Grey-Anne Bronte

4. The Daughter of Time-Josephine Tey

3. Mythology-Edith Hamilton

2. Phantom Toll Booth-Norton Juster

1. Her Fearful Symmetry-Audrey Niffenegger

Well, 10 y/o dd and I are doing this together, as you may know, and it's going very well. We've so far managed to finish a book a week- although we're a little behind right now. We still have 41 pages to go in the book we're currently reading, which I hope to finish today, and then we'll start a new one tomorrow. We're also each reading independently, so, yeah, lots of reading so far this year!

Here's what we've read so far:

Week 1

Together: The Phantom Tollbooth (and also started "Ben And Me" for school reading)

Me: Finished "Rose" by Martin Cruz Smith, and read "Flowers For Algernon" by Daniel Keyes

DD independently: Two Nancy Drew Files books and the first book in the "Wright On Time" series

Week 2

Together: Skellig

Me: The Virgin's Lover by Philippa Gregory

DD independently: The second book in the "Wright On Time" series

Week 3

Together: Ida B and Her Plans to Maximize Fun, Avoid Disaster, and (Possibly) Save the World

Me: The Year Of The Flood by Margaret Atwood

DD independently: The third book in the "Wright On Time" series, and a Nancy Drew Files book

Week 4

Together: The Gawgon and The Boy

Me: Mary, Bloody Mary by Carolyn Meyer

DD independently: Streams To The River, River To The Sea, A Novel of Sacagawea; and a Nancy Drew Files book

Week 5

Together: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (and also started Children Of The Wild West for school reading)

Me: Beware, Princess Elizabeth by Carolyn Meyer (and some of Deconstructing Penguins by the Goldstones)

DD independently: Finished last week's book about Sacagawea and read another Nancy Drew Files book

Week 6

Together: The Girl With The Silver Eyes

Me: Doomed Queen Anne by Carolyn Meyer (and some more of Deconstructing Penguins by the Goldstones)

DD independently: Thunder Rolling In The Mountains; and a Nancy Drew Files book

Week 7

Together: Tuck Everlasting

Me: Zipporah, Wife of Moses by Marek Halter

DD independently: read some of "Mystery Stories For Girls"

Week 8

Together: Sounder

Me: Finished last week's book (Zipporah, Wife Of Moses by Marek Halter)

DD independently: Emily Windsnap and the Castle in the Mist; and Iggie's House

Week 9

Together: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Me: At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks

DD independently: N/A

Week 10

Together: Treasure Island

Me: Patience, Princess Catherine by Carolyn Meyer

DD independently: read more of "Mystery Stories For Girls"

Week 11

Together: All-Of-A-Kind Family

Me: Finished last week's book, "Patience, Princess Catherine" by Carolyn Meyer

DD independently: Valley Of The Moon, The Diary Of Maria Rosalia De Milagros, Sonoma Valley, Alta California, 1846" (A Dear America book) for her library book club.

Week 12

Together: The Midwife's Apprentice

Me: Reading bits of "Nights In Rodanthe" by Nicholas Sparks here and there

DD independently: Started "Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief" and read "Chocolate by Hershey, A Story About Milton S. Hershey for her library book club

Week 13

Together: Surviving The Applewhites (trying to finish up this one now!) (and started "By The Shores Of Silver Lake for school reading)

Me: Still reading bits of "Nights In Rodanthe" by Nicholas Sparks here and there

DD independently: Still reading "Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief," and "Caddie Woodlawn" (for supplemental school reading)

Week 14

Together: The People In Pineapple Place (hope to start this one tomorrow)

Me: Still reading bits of "Nights In Rodanthe" by Nicholas Sparks here and there

DD independently: Still reading Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief and Caddie Woodlawn.

We're also listening to "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" on audiobook in the car here and there as we have time for it.

Edited by NanceXToo

I liked the book overall, although there were some slower bits. How far along are you?

Not far...I'm like in Chapter 4. I need to be reading like 40 pages a day between now and the book club meeting if I'm going to make it. :ohmy: And the print size in the book is really super small...sigh.

22yod talked me into The Hunger Games. I can't believe I capitulated. This book reminded me of Haagen-Dazs Coffee Ice Cream. You have a feeling it's not good for you, but you want it anyway; you know it will keep you up all night, but you can't put it down; and, you say you won't get more next time you're in town, but as soon as you get a chance you get more. So, I downloaded Catching Fire onto my Kindle this morning on the way to church, and Dickens will have to wait.

It gets easier! You can do it! I love Dickens! Re-read that first paragraph/sentence again.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way- in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

Wonderful! (Seriously, he's one of my favorites. I just love how he can take two pages to describe a person's countenance. Sigh!)

I've been enjoying some quick, delightful reading with "The Little House books". I read Little House in the Big Woods, Little House on the Prairie, and Farmer Boy. I've just put a bookmark in On the Banks of Plum Creek. Wow! I can't believe I'd been missing out on these books all these years!!! Sigh. If only I had had the AO booklist growing up! :D

So, what is a blunderbuss?

Finished Duty and Desire by Pamela Aidan, the second book in her Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman series. I am waiting for book 3 to show up in the mail--it shipped last Monday.

You making me want to read these series.

I read Radical Homemakers. I was disappointed. Guess you can read my blog post to see why. :)

Hum, this is on my list. Thanks for the review. As for Darwin, I haven't read anything anywhere about his negative attitude toward women.

Finished the Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks last night. Very good, somewhat scary at the same time, especially the afterword.

:iagree: I loved that book!

This week I finished Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. It was tough to read in spots but definitely worth it. My review is here.

I also read Stumptown Kid by Carol Gorman & Ron Findley. This started out as me previewing it for my son, but I was quickly drawn into the story so I read the whole thing. I'm debating on whether or not to include it in my count. If I count it then I will have completed 13 books so far.

This week I'm reading The Gendarme by Mark Mustian. The inside jacket tells me that it "depicts how love can transcend nationalities, politics, and religion..." I thought this might be just what I needed after the tough stuff in Unbroken but so far this too is a war story. WWI this time around and I'm still waiting to find the love :001_huh:

April 3rd-9th check in post

Last week I read Linda Greenlaw's new book, Seaworthy. The captain's long anticipated return to sword-fishing was pretty much a nightmare but she has grown and matured and it shows. I am a fan of the good captain and it was nice to see a book about her returning to the love of her life. The seasoned captain's return was an unmitigated nightmare. Well, except that I guess it was mitigated a bit by the 4 men who were her crew this time out. She left the dock with the greatest 4 guys she ever fished with and they did her proud on this awful trip. Linda writes well and you get caught up in her adventures, but she was "in her head" a lot in this book. It was more reflective than her others. With a vessel they rightfully dubbed, "The ****hawk", the trip was one mess after another including somehow, inexplicably drifting into Canadian waters. It was a quick read and I do like to keep up, though not a re-read kind of book.

I also read Mackenzie Phillip's biography, High on Arrival.

Holy crap what a disaster. Like watching a train wreck. She spared nothing and seemed to have miraculously come out the other side a whole person. Her fortitude is nothing short of staggering.

In honor of Joss Whedon month on Facebook, I also read a novelization of the Firefly movie, Serenity, by Keith R.A. DeCandido. It felt right but read just a little wrong.

Edited by Lizzie in Ma

FINALLY finished Major Pettigrew's Last Stand.....

This week I am reading Moccasin Trail to my kids....and for me...

Radical Homemaking, The Weight of Glory by CS Lewis and the logic stage portion of the WTM as I write my 20th century curriculum for next year.

Faithe

It gets easier! You can do it! I love Dickens! Re-read that first paragraph/sentence again.

Wonderful! (Seriously, he's one of my favorites. I just love how he can take two pages to describe a person's countenance. Sigh!)

Once I started reading Chapter 4 last night the pace really picked up! I actually started liking it. He flash forwarded 5 years at the point I left off. Why Charles? Why did you have to flash forward just as I was getting into it!?!? :banghead:

So, what is a blunderbuss?

A type of gun. My favorite word from last night was incommodiousness. My dh and I took guesses of what it meant before I looked it up. He said "Not a crap house?" (I think he was thinking of commode being in the word ;)) I was closer when I guess that it meant not accommodating. The meaning actually was inconvenient.

Not far...I'm like in Chapter 4. I need to be reading like 40 pages a day between now and the book club meeting if I'm going to make it. :ohmy: And the print size in the book is really super small...sigh.

Once I started reading Chapter 4 last night the pace really picked up! I actually started liking it. He flash forwarded 5 years at the point I left off. Why Charles? Why did you have to flash forward just as I was getting into it!?!? :banghead:

The flash forward is essential to the plot, which you'll see as you move along. Or I should say that the earlier part it essential to understanding the rest of the novel. You could get some cheap low level reading glasses if the small print is too much for you. I have to use those for small print now (this is an edit, so I can't put in the emoticon I want to express how I feel about having to use reading glasses for small print.)

I read Black as He's Painted by Ngaio Marsh, and Clouds of Witness by Dorothy Sayers. Also in the midst of reading The Jesus Prayer by Frederica Mathewes-Green and Children in the Church Today by Sr. Magdalen. Next up: Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens.

Great idea for the 52 books in a year!!

Right now I'm reading Breakthrough by Suzanne Somers (8 steps to wellness)

Rachel

I'd be interested in what you think of this book when you finish it.:)

Last year I read her book called Knockout: Interviews With Doctors Who are Curing Cancer and How to Prevent Getting it in the First Place.

It's been 20 years since I read a John Irving novel and I had forgotten just how memorable and outlandish his characters are.

I read and enjoyed A Prayer for Owen Meany this week (well, actually it took me a couple weeks ;))

Irving is a great storyteller who has a wonderful gift of quirky humor that's evident in all the themes he touches on throughout the book---faith, doubt, politics, friendship, death.

I love the way Irving uses foreshadowing in this book. You think you know where he's going, but then he throws a curve ball.

Good book with unforgettable characters.

Edited by Imprimis

Me too! Love Dickens, love A Tale of Two Cities.

Stay with it fairytalemama----you'll be happy you did. Plus, the ending is awesome!

Just started reading The Girl Who Chased the Moon, Sarah Allen.

14. One Week in December, Holly Chamberlin

13. The Thorn, Beverly Lewis

12. Salting Roses, Lorelle Marinello

11. The Well Trained Mind, 2004 Edition

10. Night, Elie Wiesel

9. Last Light Over Carolina, Mary Alice Munroe

8. Homeschooling, A Family's Journey, Gregory and Martine Millman

7. Time is a River, Mary Alice Munroe

6. Commencement, Courtney Sullivan

5. The Redemption of Sarah Cain, Beverly Lewis

4. Thursdays at Eight, Debbie Macomber

3. The Three Weismann's of Westport, Cathleen Schine

2. Rebecca, Daphne du Maurier

1. The Search, Nora Roberts

I finished The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.

Now I'm reading The Handmaid's Tale after seeing it mentioned several times. The writing is driving me nuts!:lol: Can someone please explain it to me? Why does she neglect to use quotation marks to note dialog the majority of the time but then use them once in a while? Why does she just throw in random commas and semi-colons that do not belong?

I'm going crazy!;)

I finished The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.

Now I'm reading The Handmaid's Tale after seeing it mentioned several times. The writing is driving me nuts!:lol: Can someone please explain it to me? Why does she neglect to use quotation marks to note dialog the majority of the time but then use them once in a while? Why does she just throw in random commas and semi-colons that do not belong?

I'm going crazy!;)

What did you think of The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest? I just read that last week.

As for The Handmaid's Tale, there are some novels that don't use quotation marks, which I find annoying, too. Margaret Atwood is one of my least favourite Canadian authors, but this book is the one I came closest to liking. As I recall (I read this about 20 years ago, I think) it is written out of order at times and is supposed to mimic someone researching the topic; you'll see that more at the end, which I cannot give away. Atwood has set this in the future and it's supposed to be after a religious group takes over the US and the leadership is corrupt. Something happened (can't remember what, and if it hasn't been revealed yet, it wouldn't do to give it away) to render most of the male leaders sterile. It is an odd novel in many ways, and I read it back in the days when I still finished almost every novel I started and I read books in order.

Yikes! I'm behind a lot! If I would finish some things I've started ... One Thousand Gifts, 10 Ways to Destroy the Imagination of Your Child, Your Home a Place of Grace, The Abolition of Man ... all of which I'm enjoying.

I really enjoyed In the Company of Others by Jan Karon. It took a while to straighten out the characters and get into the plot, but I really enjoyed it by the end.

My 2011 Reviews:

1. Her Daughter's Dream - Francine Rivers

2. Island of the World - Michael O'Brien (AMAZING!)

3. Mennonite in a Little Black Dress - Rhoda Janzen

4. Cinderella Ate My Daughter - Peggy Orenstein

5. Devil's Cub - Georgette Heyer

6. Keeping a Nature Journal - Clare Walker Leslie and Charles E Roth.

7. Politically Incorrect Guide to Western Civilization (Audio Book)- Anthony Esolen

8. Excellent Women - Barbara Pym

9. The Abyssinian - Jean-Christophe Rufin

10. In the Company of Others - Jan Karon

I've been reading a lot but not posting. Here's the last 7 I read...

14. Rid of my Disgrace: Hope and Healing for Victims of Sexual Assault - Holcomb, Justin & Lindsey

15. The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived The Great American Dust Bowl - Egan, Timothy.

16. The Mother Tongue: English & How it Got That Way - Bryson, Bill

17. Family Reformation: The Legacy of Sola Scriptura in Calvin's Geneva - Brown, Scott

18. Imprisoned in Iran: Love's Victory Over Fear (International Adventure Series by YWAM) - Bauman, Dan

19. The Hidden Life of Prayer: The life-blood of the Christian - McIntyre, David

20. The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains - Carr, Nicholas

The review for The Shallows isn't up yet but the rest have been reviewed (I didn't review #15).

http://daisyhomeschoolblog.blogspot.com/p/52-in-52-book-reviews.html

Interesting list! I've read The Monther Tongue (Bryson) and quite enjoyed it! :)

Happy weekend reading. --MM

I've been reading a lot but not posting. Here's the last 7 I read...

14. Rid of my Disgrace: Hope and Healing for Victims of Sexual Assault - Holcomb, Justin & Lindsey

15. The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived The Great American Dust Bowl - Egan, Timothy.

16. The Mother Tongue: English & How it Got That Way - Bryson, Bill

17. Family Reformation: The Legacy of Sola Scriptura in Calvin's Geneva - Brown, Scott

18. Imprisoned in Iran: Love's Victory Over Fear (International Adventure Series by YWAM) - Bauman, Dan

19. The Hidden Life of Prayer: The life-blood of the Christian - McIntyre, David

20. The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains - Carr, Nicholas

The review for The Shallows isn't up yet but the rest have been reviewed (I didn't review #15).

http://daisyhomeschoolblog.blogspot.com/p/52-in-52-book-reviews.html

What did you think of The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest? I just read that last week.

I was underwhelmed by the ending. I know the series was supposed to continue so I wasn't really expecting a real conclusion. On the whole, I liked the three books. They were fun and page turning.

As for The Handmaid's Tale, there are some novels that don't use quotation marks, which I find annoying, too. Margaret Atwood is one of my least favourite Canadian authors, but this book is the one I came closest to liking. As I recall (I read this about 20 years ago, I think) it is written out of order at times and is supposed to mimic someone researching the topic; you'll see that more at the end, which I cannot give away. Atwood has set this in the future and it's supposed to be after a religious group takes over the US and the leadership is corrupt. Something happened (can't remember what, and if it hasn't been revealed yet, it wouldn't do to give it away) to render most of the male leaders sterile. It is an odd novel in many ways, and I read it back in the days when I still finished almost every novel I started and I read books in order.

The weird thing is that she uses quotation marks here and there but the majority of the dialog has none. The inconsistency leaves me :confused:. What's the point? The punctuation throughout the book is just crazy-commas where commas have no place being, etc. Does she just not know how to punctuate or is there some purpose to the insanity?;)

I'm over half way through and have no idea why I'm still reading it.:tongue_smilie: I guess I kind of want to find out what happens to the main character but then I find myself thinking, "Why am I wasting my reading time on this book? I hate it!" I think I'm just pushing through because it's short and I know it wont take too long to finish.

I hope I pick a good one next.:)

I was underwhelmed by the ending. I know the series was supposed to continue so I wasn't really expecting a real conclusion. On the whole, I liked the three books. They were fun and page turning.

I wondered if they were to continue, because I felt unfinished, too. I read this book the "wrong" way because about 1/4-1/3 of the way through, I stayed up late and read all of the Salander passages up to the trial and then read all the rest of the book. After that, I went back and read all the other passages and enjoyed it better that way. This is something I never used to do, and didn't with the others. I also now nearly always read the ending to see if I want to finish, which is something I would have been horrified to do most of my life.

The weird thing is that she uses quotation marks here and there but the majority of the dialog has none. The inconsistency leaves me :confused:. What's the point? The punctuation throughout the book is just crazy-commas where commas have no place being, etc. Does she just not know how to punctuate or is there some purpose to the insanity?;)

I'm over half way through and have no idea why I'm still reading it.:tongue_smilie: I guess I kind of want to find out what happens to the main character but then I find myself thinking, "Why am I wasting my reading time on this book? I hate it!" I think I'm just pushing through because it's short and I know it wont take too long to finish.

I hope I pick a good one next.:)

The odd punctuation is not something she uses in every book; I know because I had to read The Edible Woman in university as well as a book of her poems (Two Headed Poems I think it was called) and I read one other book of hers someone gave me as a book. Plus I think I read one other one of hers. As I mentioned, I don't like her writing, but I found the story of The Handmaid's Tale drew me in and I read the entire book. I've not read any more of hers and avoid her writing like the plague normally.

I wondered if they were to continue, because I felt unfinished, too.

He planned on writing 10 in this series, before his untimely death. He was halfway or more through his 4th book when he died. So sad that he died so young.

I finished "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" yesterday. Our Jane Austen Lit Study read this to see how modern society threw their pop culture twist into Jane Austen. The reactions to this book were all over the place! One of the moms couldn't finish it because the illustrations were giving her nightmares, one of the other moms was offended and angry that "her Elizabeth and Darcy" would act or say such things, one of the girls (my dd) couldn't finish it because it was making her want to throw up, and we had one of the brothers join us this month because he thought it was absolutely hilarious and just HAD to read it with us :lol: I took it for the humor that it was supposed to bring, though I couldn't read it while eating ;) We rotate houses to have our meetings and usually have tea in fine china. Well, one mom said zombies didn't deserve fine China :D She also made monkey bread (brains) and one other mom brought read icing to put on the monkey bread! (My dd did not partake).

They are all glad that it is over and we move on to the real "Pride and Prejudice" over the next few weeks.

Books read in 2011

15. "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" by Seth Grahame-Smith

"The Candlestone" by Bryan Davis

"Emma" by Jane Austen

"Turtle in Paradise" by Jennifer L. Holm

"It's a Jungle Out There!" by Ron Snell

"Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian" by Rick Riordan

"Remarkable Creatures" by Tracy Chevalier

"Stardust" by Neil Gaiman

"The Diamond Throne" by David Eddings

"Adam and His Kin" by Ruth Beechick

"Persuasion" by Jane Austen

"The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner" by Stephenie Meyer

"The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" by C.S. Lewis (carried over from 2010)

"Mansfield Park" by Jane Austen

"Enchantment" by Orson Scott Card

I can't remember where I left off, as I think I haven't posted in a couple of weeks....I finally finished Endgame, a biography of Bobby Fischer and then went through The Illumination--a novel about, umm, how everyone starts lighting up when they get hurt--pretty quickly. Reviews of those two in my blog; neither one is going to make my favorites list this year, is the short version. I'm very nearly finished reading The View from Saturday along with DS. I'm listening to Anne Lamott's Grace...Eventually (a reread) and about to start an audiobook of Moonwalking with Einstein.

and yesterday I started Jesus Wars: How Four Patriarchs, Three Queens, and Two Emperors Decided What Christians Would Believe for the Next 1,500 years. I'm only a few pages in, but I'm completely hooked already. The early church was nuts!