Menu

Car seats: Which is safer?

I had just switched my 16 month old to forward facing in his car seat when I heard that the recommendation is now to leave them rear facing until age 2. The car seat he is in now is probably 6 or 7 years old, and the straps don't really adjust well anymore. I was going to just switch him to the integrated seat in our van, but am wondering if I should buy a new seat (something like a MyRide 65) and turn him back around.

Here is my question: Even though rear facing is generally safest, is there something to be said about the safety of an integrated car seat because there are no issues with it being installed improperly? I've been thinking it over for a few days, but thought I would come here and ask since I seem to remember that there are a few car seat techs floating around the boards. :bigear:

If you have the money...http://www.elitecarseats.com/Sunshine-Kids-Radian-65SL.pro#pp-tabs I think I'd get this... I have a Britax, but it's HUGE and fits because we have a roomy van. Back facing has been normal for other countries... for a long time. It's simply safer in a wreck.. I've heard till 2 is recommended here, but I think that even 3 is common other places.

I had just switched my 16 month old to forward facing in his car seat when I heard that the recommendation is now to leave them rear facing until age 2. The car seat he is in now is probably 6 or 7 years old, and the straps don't really adjust well anymore. I was going to just switch him to the integrated seat in our van, but am wondering if I should buy a new seat (something like a MyRide 65) and turn him back around.

Here is my question: Even though rear facing is generally safest, is there something to be said about the safety of an integrated car seat because there are no issues with it being installed improperly? I've been thinking it over for a few days, but thought I would come here and ask since I seem to remember that there are a few car seat techs floating around the boards. :bigear:

I think you're supposed to replace car seats every 5 years, so I would look into getting a new one. The one we got for DD is this one, and it will hold her in a harness (it's only front facing) until she's either 65 or 80 lbs, I can't remember which, and then converts to a belt-positioning booster. At 2 years & 23 lbs, it seems like she'll be 12 before she hits 80 lbs, though...

Extended rear facing is not a new thing.....the experts have just finally been clued in to the fact that it actually IS safer. I have always left my kids rear facing till nearing two.

I've always heard that a car seat is safer than an integrated seat. Just be absolutely sure that you have yours installed correctly.

The reason rear facing is safer is because a toddler's neck muscles are still developing. If in a car accident and their head snaps forward, it could do major damage to a still developing little neck.

The reason rear facing is safer is because a toddler's neck muscles are still developing. If in a car accident and their head snaps forward, it could do major damage to a still developing little neck.

:iagree: It can cause internal decapitation.

We like the Britax. My 13 month old is in a rear facing Boulevard and will stay RF until he is 3. My 4 1/2 year old recently moved to the Frontier 85. As someone else mentioned, they are big seats.

Extended rear facing is not a new thing.....the experts have just finally been clued in to the fact that it actually IS safer. I have always left my kids rear facing till nearing two.

I've always heard that a car seat is safer than an integrated seat. Just be absolutely sure that you have yours installed correctly.

I kind of knew that it was better to leave them rear facing - that's why I wasn't in a hurry to turn him around when he turned 1. But I guess I didn't realize how much of a difference it could make. After reading these few responses, I'm ready to run out and drop a couple hundred dollars on a new car seat....but my husband may have other ideas:001_unsure:

If your car seat is that old it expired long ago and is no longer considered safe. Send it to the dump. There should be a date on it somewhere with a 'don't use after' time. Most are considered done after 4 years. And why would you be using a seat for your baby when you yourself say that the straps don't adjust well? That is very dangerous for your child.

We have a britax and are very happy with it. In truth, they all have to meet the same safety standards. I bought a britax because it gave us the most time in the seat. They also have a 6 year expiration date so we can use them longer. However, they are expensive. I happened to have the $ at the time so I got them. I would have been just as happy with any well fitting carseat from Target.

Don't send your current carseat to the salvation army or give it away. it is long expired and the straps aren't working. Throw it out. Cut the straps and cut the padding so no one will be tempted to take it home and put their kid in danger.

Your current car seat sounds expired and unsafe.

Extended rear-facing until at least age 2 and preferably 3-4 years old is the best option for your child. It protects them in ways that forward facing simply cannot (and even results in less risk of leg injuries). http://www.joelsjourney.org is only one place that gives detailed info on this.

A $$$ Britax is not at all necessary to acheive this. I don't understand Britax snobbery in this day and age (and I have owned their seats!). There are many affordable and well-made seats that are 1/2 the price of a Britax and allow for longer extended rear-facing, have side impact protection, etc... Get yourself a Graco MyRide or Evenflo Triumph or First Years TruFit, or if $$ is very tight a Cosco Scenara - all of those will let your child rearface at least another year or two.

The integrated carseat can be a good option provided it fits the child well - can you adjust the straps in tightness and height? Is there additional side-impact protection? I'd be comfortable using one for an older child (5 years old) but not a younger toddler IMO.

I would suggest you go to http://www.car-seat.org/ there is a forum there that is frequented by certified car-seat techs. At the top is says you can ask a question without even registering. They are really great about helping you find a seat that fits your budget and/or explaining why spending a little more now could save you money in the long run.

Good Luck.:)

There are a LOT of great choices out there that don't cost as much as they used to. The MyRide is a good choice. My 22 month old is in a First Years True Fit, and I love it. My 4 year old could still rearface in it if he were 35 lbs or less (he's 40 lbs, so he passed the seat down to his baby brother). The Radians rearface to 45 lbs, which is even better, though they don't install well in some vehicles. My 4 year old is in the Radian now, but it's the older version that wasn't grandfathered in, so he can't rearface in it. I think he'd probably be more comfortable rearfacing, as he's always trying to cross his legs in the car seat. It's not very comfortable to have your legs dangling like that!

My kids are tall, and my 4 year old is ALL torso. So that gives you an idea of how long some of these new seats can last.

Definitely throw out your expired seat!!! Most seats these days expire after 6 years, though some are 8 years. Look at the bottom of the seat for the expiration date info. If it's expired, you don't know whether the plastic will hold up in a crash. If the plastic gives way, the harness could rip right through the plastic and not protect your child at all (see the 10 year old Britax video that demonstrates this).

Head over to http://car-seat.org forums for great advice on which carseat to buy. You can post age/height/weight of the child, what vehicle you're wanting to put the child in, and what your budget is, and they'll give recommendations. They're really helpful over there, and they won't just try to get you to buy a $300+ seat when there's a $150 seat that will work just as well or better. I've always been very happy with the advice on that forum. :)

First of all, your carseat is expired and should be destroyed. Second, there are definite advantages to keeping your child rear facing. I kept my own small daughter rear facing until she was almost 4. In an accident, your child will not have the force that can snap their necks. In your place, I would buy a larger convertible carseat.

And why would you be using a seat for your baby when you yourself say that the straps don't adjust well? That is very dangerous for your child.

That is why I am looking at other options. And when I say that the straps don't adjust well, I mean that it is a really big pain to move them in and out - so this time of year when one day you need a winter coat, and the next day it's short sleeves, it is difficult to tighten/loosen the straps.

As far as the expiration date, the seat doesn't have one on it - I checked before we put the seat in the car. I thought I had heard they were good for 8 years, but I suppose that stuff is always changing.

Thanks for all the good advice!

That is why I am looking at other options. And when I say that the straps don't adjust well, I mean that it is a really big pain to move them in and out - so this time of year when one day you need a winter coat, and the next day it's short sleeves, it is difficult to tighten/loosen the straps.

Ah, but you're not supposed to use winter coats under the straps!

Ah, but you're not supposed to use winter coats under the straps!

Now that you mention it, I have heard that before. And when my kids are tiny I have always avoided the little snow suits and used a blanket or car seat cover instead....but I don't think I've ever seen a soul who didn't stick their toddler in the car seat with his coat on. I never even really thought about it. What do you do, take their coat off every time you put them in the car???

Our pediatrician years ago (mean like 9 years ago) said that we would all be safer if we could just ALL ride rear facing. He was very big then on keeping babies rear facing as long as possible.

I'm very interested in this thread because it is almost time to go from the infant seat to a bigger one.

Your current car seat sounds expired and unsafe.

Yes, full stop. I came to a screeching halt when I hit that part of your post - absolutely go out and get a new one.

It's completely unsafe to buckle in a car seat with a bulky winter coat on too. There are videos all over YouTube on this.

Haven't read all the responses, but here is my 2 cents:

Ditch that old car seat - it is expired and could fail in an accident. Most car seats expire at 5 years after the date of manufacture on the sticker on the car seat (and or base). Britax has a 6 year expiration date.

If you have space and $$, I suggest a Britax Marathon or another Britax model. They are SUPER easy to install. Another good one for extended rear-facing (which is the safest, especially at your child's age), is the Radian.

FWIW I don't think that the integrated seat is any safer. Probably less so since the harnessing is looser/easier to adjust and thus the kid playing with them (I know, I have them in my van and do not use them).

Good heavens, your car seat must be expired! You need to get rid of it. Don't just throw it away though. Cut the straps (so they can't be reused) and remove them. On the plastic (front and back of the seat), use a marker and write "Expired. Do Not Use." I was told to do this by our local FD (when we lived in the States and Indy's car seat expired).

Indy has always been a tall child, but was rear facing until he was a little over 3 in the Britax Marathon. This was a FABULOUS seat. He was in it ff until he was 5 (and it expired). After that we moved to the Britax Regent. We called it his Captain Kirk chair because it was so huge. I could almost fit in it! He was in it until he turned 7 (forward facing of course), and it is a 5pt harness. He's now in booster (he's 8), but here in Germany, kids are required to be in a booster until age 12 or until they reach 4.11".

The new baby will be rf at least until he's 3. Longer if I can manage it.

Get your baby a new seat and turn it back around. Oh, and yes, we removed coats before buckling. Blankets are much more comfortable anyway.

I think you're supposed to replace car seats every 5 years, so I would look into getting a new one. The one we got for DD is this one, and it will hold her in a harness (it's only front facing) until she's either 65 or 80 lbs, I can't remember which, and then converts to a belt-positioning booster. At 2 years & 23 lbs, it seems like she'll be 12 before she hits 80 lbs, though...

Actually, it can only be used with the harness until 40 lbs if you got the one that you linked to.

What do you do, take their coat off every time you put them in the car???

Yes. Every single time. It is a huge pain, as we live where the wind chills can be below zero for days on end in the winter. Anyway, I always make sure that DS has a thin fleece or a sweatshirt on over another shirt for car rides, because the coat has to come off every time. He then uses his coat as a blanket in the car.

t here in Germany, kids are required to be in a booster until age 12 or until they reach 4.11".

Glad we don't live there - my TEENAGE daughter just hit 4'11" this year and she'd be mortified to be in a booster. :tongue_smilie: (She's petite) .. is there an age on the law? I have a 40-some year old aunt who is 4'10"!

Now that you mention it, I have heard that before. And when my kids are tiny I have always avoided the little snow suits and used a blanket or car seat cover instead....but I don't think I've ever seen a soul who didn't stick their toddler in the car seat with his coat on. I never even really thought about it. What do you do, take their coat off every time you put them in the car???

Yes, I do. My big kids, too. And even me. That's what the heater is for. ;)

(I do use a bucket carseat for the baby, with a cover over it, because I *do* hate the idea of dealing with all of that maneuvering with an infant. Next winter, he can be just like the rest of us!)

No coats? In the dead of winter?? I can't imagineĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ I think that might be simpler in a warm or even moderate climates, but not where the cold is extreme.

I live on top of a mountain in the Poconos. It's not "no coats". It's "Take your coat off before you buckle."

No coats? In the dead of winter?? I can't imagineĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ I think that might be simpler in a warm or even moderate climates, but not where the cold is extreme.

I live on top of a mountain in the Poconos. It's not "no coats". It's "Take your coat off before you buckle."

(I don't know what a "Poconos" is?)

What do you do when you come out of the grocery store in -40 and it's gonna take a good half hour to get the inside of the vehicle to a warm enough point that kids can take their winter gear off? Rinse & repeat for every stop you make.

Well, yes, we do remove coats before buckling up. The restraint can fail if a child is wearing a bulky coat. Why take the chance?

I have lived in Germany with a toddler in the dead of winter. I know it gets cold outside. Sometimes we did wait in the vehicle with coats on for several minutes for it to heat up before removing toddler's coat and buckling him in his seat, but I have never driven with a child in a bulky coat in a carseat. Never.

Wearing a thick coat in a carseat is akin to having loose straps. In a crash, the coat will compress. Supposedly the child could come out of the seat while the coat will still be in it.

However, you need to think about the car seat installation, and why it needs to be installed tight so it will not move, and why the harness on the child is supposed to be snug in the first place... the reason is so that the car, with its crash zones, bears the force of the impact, not the child. If the car stops, but the straps are loose, your child will still be going forward.

Julie is in the myride 65, rear-facing at 23mos. She will remain rf until she hits the 40lb rf limit for the seat. Caleb is ff in a 5pt harness. He can remain in the 5pt in this seat until 65 lbs but it is a ff only seat.

The longer they can remain rf, the safer they are in your car.

What do you do when you come out of the grocery store in -40 and it's gonna take a good half hour to get the inside of the vehicle to a warm enough point that kids can take their winter gear off? Rinse & repeat for every stop you make.

Dress them in layers. The heavy coat comes off, they are buckled in, then you can lay the heavy coat on them for warmth. I know it is a pain, but truly, it could keep your child from being killed.

However, you need to think about the car seat installation

Don't remind me. :laugh:

If you look in my sig, you'll see that we have a 12 & a 14 year old.. and one coming in June. The last time I had a real car seat, you put it in the backseat by putting the centre seatbelt through the two holes and buckling it. That's it. A friend gave me this great big one for this coming baby and it's got separate pieces so that part STAYS in the truck and part is for carrying, and there's giant metal hook things hanging off it that goĂ¢â‚¬Â¦. somewhereĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.. :tongue_smilie:

We'll sort it out, but goodness. It's a whole new world, apparently.

We finally turned by DD3 around, because he is now 40pds and 42in tall. :lol: He rides in a Britax because it fit very well in my Suburban when it had to be behind my DH who is 6'8" rear facing. My other DS is 6 and still in a harness in his Graco seat that he graduated to when his brother was to big for his carrier carseat.

Do your research, expensive isn't necessarily better. Be sure to take the carseat out and install it in your car before purchasing. I took 3 demo seats out with a store rep and tried them out in my car before I purchased, this should be pretty common by now. :)

The Pocono Mountains, in Pennsylvania.

Can't say I've ever gone out in -40*, but my minivan has never taken more than 5 or 10 minutes to warm up (after the initial warm up of the day) in -10 to -15*. But, even if it took half an hour, why would I risk their lives to save myself 20 minutes?

The Pocono Mountains, in Pennsylvania.

Can't say I've ever gone out in -40*, but my minivan has never taken more than 5 or 10 minutes to warm up (after the initial warm up of the day) in -10 to -15*. But, even if it took half an hour, why would I risk their lives to save myself 20 minutes?

It gets -40*F here in the winter and we sit in the car until it's warmer, and the coats off and on the lap as blankets.

Cold is cold is cold. Doesn't change that a coat can make a car seat not work properly.

Unless the manufacturer specifically states otherwise, six years is the limit on carseats, due to the way plastic breaks down from repeated exposure to heat and cold. I believe Radians are seven or eight years, though, but all of my Graco seats are six years.

We have a Graco MyRide for our 30-pound 2 1/2 year old, and we are really pleased with it. He is still comfortably rear-facing (and would probably remain so until 3, but his spot in the vehicle is the only one that can fit a rear-facing seat, and I will need it for the newborn), but my other son was able to use it forward-facing until he was 5. Look around, and you can catch a good sale on them; it is a tall and wide seat, but I really think it's worth the money and space.

A friend gave me this great big one for this coming baby and it's got separate pieces so that part STAYS in the truck and part is for carrying, and there's giant metal hook things hanging off it that goĂ¢â‚¬Â¦. somewhereĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.. :tongue_smilie:

We'll sort it out, but goodness. It's a whole new world, apparently.

You'll get it. It should have an instruction manual with it; if it doesn't, look online for it, or call the manufacturer.

It sounds like you've got a seat with a base -- those are so nice for infants, or if you switch vehicles frequently. I like to keep the seat part in the house, so that it is not too hot (the buckles could burn a newborn's skin) or too cold (get a shower-cap style cover for the winter -- NOT the kind that goes under the baby, because that can make the straps fit improperly and can compress and cause loose straps in a crash -- one that goes over the seat is fine, though, and means they can't kick off a blanket). Just be careful if the baby is sleeping in it, so that the head doesn't fall onto the chest and cause breathing problems (grunting or snorting is one symptom of a problem). (It may also have some sort of indicator on the side of the seat that helps you tell if it's at the right angle or not.)

The metal hooks are probably for LATCH. If your vehicle is newer (2002 or newer, I think), it should have at least one spot with two metal loops, between the seat and seat back, same as the seatbelts. You hook the hooks through those loops and tighten. You can use either the LATCH hooks OR the car's seatbelts to install, but not both; there is no safety value in one over the other, just that LATCH can make it easier to get a tight installation.

Ask if you have more questions, or talk to the lovely people at car-seat.org.

It gets -40*F here in the winter and we sit in the car until it's warmer, and the coats off and on the lap as blankets.

Cold is cold is cold. Doesn't change that a coat can make a car seat not work properly.

Yes! I live in northern WI and it gets frigid here, but I dress my kids in layers and we warm the car up before we go anywhere. They have never complained about being cold.

I took photos and blogged about carseats and coats. You would be shocked at how much slack in the harness there is when your child wears a coat!

http://homeschoolblogger.com/cpstblog/628327/

FWIW, we do not take coats off in the car in the winter. BUT here is how we still ensure it is safe:

1. Do not buy a bulky coat for your child.

2. Put child in the carseat with coat on. Tighten harness and adjust as much as you can.

3. Test the straps - remove coat, put child back in the seat with the straps at the SAME TIGHTNESS they were at with the coat. Are the straps too loose? Can you pinch a *horizontal* line of strap between your fingers (not vertically - you can always pinch a vertical crease)?

If your straps are too slack, then you need to keep the coat outside the seat harness (you can do this without removing it but pulling it around the straps - easy to do). If it *is* tight enough, then feel free to do it around the coat.

Folded up or otherwise made comfortable bent in the seat :). Pictures of children ages 1-4 rearfacing

Yep! At 3, Indy was 41" tall and was all legs. He was quite comfortable with his legs crossed. Kids are a lot more flexible than we are. When we did turn him, he didn't like the fact that there was nothing to prop his legs on. :D

Glad we don't live there - my TEENAGE daughter just hit 4'11" this year and she'd be mortified to be in a booster. :tongue_smilie: (She's petite) .. is there an age on the law? I have a 40-some year old aunt who is 4'10"!

Yes, as I said it's 4'11" OR age 12, whichever comes first. Once your daughter hit age 12, she could leave off the booster. It has to do with skeletal growth and strength.