Menu

Teen drinking---Okay now???

I am very disturbed by what I see going on around here as far as endorsement of teen drinking. It seems that parents supply the hard liquor and beer for the teens around here to drink---as evidenced by clear pictures of the kids hard drinking and parents in the pictures on FB (my daughter showed me some). I wonder if this is still a Small Town thing, as even the MDs are okay with binge drinking with their kids. To me, sharing a few beers or glasses of wine with your 'of age' child is one thing-----but to watch and supply the cases and cases of beer and hard liquor for shots is just wrong to me! My kids don't want to drink----they are disgusted with the massive alcohol consumption that goes on here and even worse----the DRIVING after drinking!

I know kids drink everywhere----but we are planning on moving back to CA here soon and I am just wondering if this endorsement of mass drinking is normal everywhere? Or I am just hopelessly out of touch.....

I am very disturbed by what I see going on around here as far as endorsement of teen drinking. It seems that parents supply the hard liquor and beer for the teens around here to drink---as evidenced by clear pictures of the kids hard drinking and parents in the pictures on FB (my daughter showed me some). I wonder if this is still a Small Town thing, as even the MDs are okay with binge drinking with their kids. To me, sharing a few beers or glasses of wine with your 'of age' child is one thing-----but to watch and supply the cases and cases of beer and hard liquor for shots is just wrong to me! My kids don't want to drink----they are disgusted with the massive alcohol consumption that goes on here and even worse----the DRIVING after drinking!

I know kids drink everywhere----but we are planning on moving back to CA here soon and I am just wondering if this endorsement of mass drinking is normal everywhere? Or I am just hopelessly out of touch.....

I am hoping that what you are seeing is out of context.

No, most parents don't support or facilitate under-age drinking.

I've seen it happen on the parents' fb page as well. I don't think it's common but I do get uncomfortable seeing it displayed so, um, proudly.

My underage niece claims she drinks a beer with her dad every now and then, but he's never said anything about it. She was visiting one weekend when she told me this, and it justsohappened to be when I was enjoying a Mike's lemonade. She pitifully told me she'd never had the chance to taste one. I gave her a taste--a few drops in a medicine dropper. She wasn't amused, but I got my point across...she shouldn't expect to be treated as an adult in my home.

My underage niece claims she drinks a beer with her dad every now and then, but he's never said anything about it. She was visiting one weekend when she told me this, and it justsohappened to be when I was enjoying a Mike's lemonade. She pitifully told me she'd never had the chance to taste one. I gave her a taste--a few drops in a medicine dropper. She wasn't amused, but I got my point across...she shouldn't expect to be treated as an adult in my home.

LOL---great! :tongue_smilie:

I think that a lot of parents have adopted a "If you're going to drink, I want you to do it where I can see you" policy. Honestly, our culture puts so much emphasis on drinking and how those under twenty-one are not allowed to partake that it makes kids want to drink even more, so I understand parents' thinking behind wanting to know that their teens are drinking in a safe environment. The chances are pretty high that the teens (mainly speaking about those in public schools) are going to do it anyway.

I have two teenagers and I don't know anyone who would supply teens with alcohol. Hopefully those were isolated incidents.

God Bless,

Elise in NC

Nope---the isolated incident is that we don't let our kids drink! Seriously----this is the norm here and our kids are the 'homeschool social outcasts' because we don't let them drink or go to these parties. Usually at graduation, the parents supply plenty of kegs of beer and hard liquor for the partying.

I think that a lot of parents have adopted a "If you're going to drink, I want you to do it where I can see you" policy. Honestly, our culture puts so much emphasis on drinking and how those under twenty-one are not allowed to partake that it makes kids want to drink even more, so I understand parents' thinking behind wanting to know that their teens are drinking in a safe environment. The chances are pretty high that the teens (mainly speaking about those in public schools) are going to do it anyway.

Very true! But it's funny, because of the immense amount of sloppy binge drinking here, my kids are totally disgusted by it!

I was taken aback recently, when my ds was invited to a friend's (not hsed) 18th bday party. He told my ds that there would be alcohol & pot (alcohol supplied by dad). Ds turned down the invitation and told me about it. Wow, I had no idea a parent in this day and age would do that, and this is not an uninvolved parent.

What do we mean by underage here? Under 21? I think we will probably allow our kids to have A glass or wine or A glass of champagne now and again before 21 (our eldest is 15 1/2 and it hasn't happened yet). When there are guests in the home? No. Hard liquor? No. Supplying to other people's kids? No. As an aside, there is drinking in our home, but not binge drinking. DH and I have talked a lot about binge drinking to our kids already.

I was taken aback recently, when my ds was invited to a friend's (not hsed) 18th bday party. He told my ds that there would be alcohol & pot (alcohol supplied by dad). Ds turned down the invitation and told me about it. Wow, I had no idea a parent in this day and age would do that, and this is not an uninvolved parent.

Ugh! Pot seems to be 'the thing' in CA now. My former friend was giving it to her 2 sons----14 and 18 :glare: My brother was horrified to find out that his son was hanging out with a boy whose mother supplied them pot (her husband is in jail for drugs :001_huh:). I am so incredibly thankful we homeschool no matter what ;)

What do we mean by underage here? Under 21? I think we will probably allow our kids to have A glass or wine or A glass of champagne now and again before 21 (our eldest is 15 1/2 and it hasn't happened yet). When there are guests in the home? No. Hard liquor? No. Supplying to other people's kids? No. As an aside, there is drinking in our home, but not binge drinking. DH and I have talked a lot about binge drinking to our kids already.

Yes, under 21---probably from about 15+. Letting our kids have some champagne with 'us' on a special occasion (which they NEVER finish) or a sip of wine, no problem. But yes---not only supplying mass quantities of liquor and beer----but drinking with the kids and then, oh, let's say, motor boating on a lake or driving somewhere! Yes---and drinking SO heavily there is puking and passing out going on.

Ugh! Pot seems to be 'the thing' in CA now. My former friend was giving it to her 2 sons----14 and 18 :glare: My brother was horrified to find out that his son was hanging out with a boy whose mother supplied them pot (her husband is in jail for drugs :001_huh:). I am so incredibly thankful we homeschool no matter what ;)

I think pot and hashish is easier to get around here than alcohol. I personally don't think pot should be illegal for adults, but I really wish kids would not dabble in that kind of stuff, especially since they can get arrested and affect their future.

We have given our kids a taste of wine or beer in a little spoon. They don't seem to like it. :D

Nope---the isolated incident is that we don't let our kids drink! Seriously----this is the norm here and our kids are the 'homeschool social outcasts' because we don't let them drink or go to these parties. Usually at graduation, the parents supply plenty of kegs of beer and hard liquor for the partying.

:lol: I was thinking, "Yep, that is how it was in my city was 20 years ago." Then I looked at your location. :lol: Must be a Rocky Mountain thing . . .

Yes, under 21---probably from about 15+. Letting our kids have some champagne with 'us' on a special occasion (which they NEVER finish) or a sip of wine, no problem. But yes---not only supplying mass quantities of liquor and beer----but drinking with the kids and then, oh, let's say, motor boating on a lake or driving somewhere! Yes---and drinking SO heavily there is puking and passing out going on.

GAAAAH! Don't even get me started on drunk boating!!!!

We recently moved back to Wisconsin. Unfortunately, what you described is common here. It horrified me, even as a teenager, that parents would do this. But most turn a blind eye to the situation (esp. other parents). When teenagers die (as they do every year) while driving drunk, most people just shake their heads and say, "Too bad." :banghead: Sometimes I look around, and say to dh, "What were we THINKING [moving to WI]!!!" Sigh. Of course, there is some problem everywhere, as dh reminds me. In WI, it's alchohol. In Iowa, it was meth. Scary stuff.:001_huh:

But -- NO-- It's NOT okay.

Ok, I am just going to come out and say that I have lived in Europe, Japan and several states where parents are allowed to give their own children alcohol. It is possible that that is perfectly legal where these people live (giving their own children alcohol not other people's children). I am perfectly fine with this. As a matter of a fact, I have a problem with the law telling me how to parent my children. I feel like this is a parenting decision and I am perfectly capable of deciding if it is appropriate to give my own children alcohol and there are some occassion when I would do so. I am older than some here. I come from an age of hot toddies. I have had my dr. recommend the same. I am ok with a small amount of wine at a formal dinner or celebration. I don't mind if my children take a sip (or even a couple of gulps) of my beer. I have let them taste various concoctions (What kid doesn't want to try a stawberry daquari? Come on they look delicious). I really don't feel like this is the government's or other parent's business though. I don't approve of or allow binge drinking nor would I ever serve alcohol to another parent's child as I believe that it their parent's business.

I called the police on a neighbor many years ago because his teenage kids (still in high school) and their friends were having a kegger. Some of the kids, were obviously drunk and had climbed out a gable window were walking up on his not flat roof. The police had to very carefully talk these kids down before someone fell off. The neighbor was livid at me for having called the police because "they would drink no matter what he said" and he was "providing a safe place for them to drink".

I know a few families that think it's okay to provide liquor to underage kids. They are not the norm, but of course that's where the parties are every weekend. They think they're giving them a safe place to drink, but the kids drive drunk and make bad decisions (have sex). Not. Safe.

This was fairly common amongst the kids who lived in an upper-middle-class, gated-community near where I grew up. The first bong (and I think last) I ever saw was at a house party that I attended in this neighborhood. The parents were upstairs. It was pretty obvious what was going on as the smoke rolled up from the basement stairs into the living area where the parents were sitting....

Parents in this neighborhood would also buy kegs for graduation and birthday parties.

I lived in the hood. Parents were too poor to throw such parties!!

So, I have a tainted eye of the good little girls and boys behind the gates.

My daughters kept joking about stealing a sip of my wine. I usually drink sweet moscatto or reisling. One evening, DH and I were having shiraz with our dinner. I told the girls they could each have a sip of mine. They haven't joked about taking a sip of my wine since.;) Shiraz isn't my fav, but I do like red wine with pasta.

It is a huge issue here in Australia- not just drinking, but binge drinking- getting very, very drunk. And yes, parents often supply the alcohol to underage teenagers. When all the other parents are doing it, I guess they feel it is normal and they dont want their kid ostracised. I remember when a girlfriend of mine told me years ago that she was supplying beer for her underage teenage son's birthday party because all the other parents did it- at the time I was mortified- but now I see that it IS normal here.

It has been a big journey for dh and I because dh is an ex alcoholic and we suspect the kids would have the tendency, even a genetic predisposition. I grew up drinking a little at home with my parents and rarely drink, but enjoy it on occasion. Dh cannot drink in moderation so he does not drink at all. We have not allowed the kids to drink- and the deal with going to parties is that they dont. But many of their peers do, so it has been hard for them. Until recently, we would pick up Gen from parties around 10pm, before everyone got drunk. Now we leave her till 11 or so because she just doesnt drink.

What has ended up happening is that she drank at one party and collapsed from some sort of reaction, possibly allergic, to the alcohol. She didnt tell us- we found out through Facebook and friends! But it has worked out well- her friends know she can't drink- which lets her off the peer pressure hook.

Jared however told me a while ago that he got himself really, really drunk a year or so ago- I am not sure how or where but I suspect it was at a Scout event. But he cannot stand the smell of alcohol any more and has no interest in drinking.

I have wild kids who love to party. The alcohol issue has been of real concern to dh and I but it seems to be sorting itself out. We are known as strict parents- but the kids are realising that many of their friends also have parents who are strict about alcohol, and they have found other friends who don't drink.

It was so much easier in so many ways when they were little!

Ok, I am just going to come out and say that I have lived in Europe, Japan and several states where parents are allowed to give their own children alcohol. It is possible that that is perfectly legal where these people live (giving their own children alcohol not other people's children). I am perfectly fine with this. As a matter of a fact, I have a problem with the law telling me how to parent my children. I feel like this is a parenting decision and I am perfectly capable of deciding if it is appropriate to give my own children alcohol and there are some occassion when I would do so. I am older than some here. I come from an age of hot toddies. I have had my dr. recommend the same. I am ok with a small amount of wine at a formal dinner or celebration. I don't mind if my children take a sip (or even a couple of gulps) of my beer. I have let them taste various concoctions (What kid doesn't want to try a stawberry daquari? Come on they look delicious). I really don't feel like this is the government's or other parent's business though. I don't approve of or allow binge drinking nor would I ever serve alcohol to another parent's child as I believe that it their parent's business.

Look at this link.

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/LegalDrinkingAge.html

It looks like giving my own children alcohol in my own home is not illegal. I never knew this.

In Ohio, you can legally give your own underage child alcohol. I have been on both ends of this. When I was underage my father let me have wine and beer at home with dinner providing I wouldn't be driving anywhere soon after. As a parent, I have allowed my older children to have a sip of wine or champagne when asked. Because of their ages, they were only permitted a sip to taste the item, not a full glass. If the children were older, I would have no objection to them having a small glass of wine with dinner.

I think it's important for parents to teach their children about responsible drinking and set a good example with their own alcohol consumption. My children see their Dad and I have a glass or two of wine with dinner or on a special occasion, or perhaps a few beers. They know we don't get drunk. They also know that we don't drive if we've been drinking. They understand that consuming alcohol should not be done to excess and the reasons why.

I do know parents that have hosted parties for mixed age groups and looked the other way when the teenagers were into the "party" drinks. But mostly the teens were with their parents and they were sneaking more than most adults would admit to.

NEVER would parents provide drinks for teens!

I called the police on a neighbor many years ago because his teenage kids (still in high school) and their friends were having a kegger. Some of the kids, were obviously drunk and had climbed out a gable window were walking up on his not flat roof. The police had to very carefully talk these kids down before someone fell off. The neighbor was livid at me for having called the police because "they would drink no matter what he said" and he was "providing a safe place for them to drink".

Yes---the same thing happened here to a woman who called on a WILD drinking, throwing up drunk party next to her house. The neighbor's husband was the middle school principal at that---were really mad at her for the same reasons. :glare:

It is a huge issue here in Australia- not just drinking, but binge drinking- getting very, very drunk. And yes, parents often supply the alcohol to underage teenagers. When all the other parents are doing it, I guess they feel it is normal and they dont want their kid ostracised. I remember when a girlfriend of mine told me years ago that she was supplying beer for her underage teenage son's birthday party because all the other parents did it- at the time I was mortified- but now I see that it IS normal here.

It has been a big journey for dh and I because dh is an ex alcoholic and we suspect the kids would have the tendency, even a genetic predisposition. I grew up drinking a little at home with my parents and rarely drink, but enjoy it on occasion. Dh cannot drink in moderation so he does not drink at all. We have not allowed the kids to drink- and the deal with going to parties is that they dont. But many of their peers do, so it has been hard for them. Until recently, we would pick up Gen from parties around 10pm, before everyone got drunk. Now we leave her till 11 or so because she just doesnt drink.

What has ended up happening is that she drank at one party and collapsed from some sort of reaction, possibly allergic, to the alcohol. She didnt tell us- we found out through Facebook and friends! But it has worked out well- her friends know she can't drink- which lets her off the peer pressure hook.

Jared however told me a while ago that he got himself really, really drunk a year or so ago- I am not sure how or where but I suspect it was at a Scout event. But he cannot stand the smell of alcohol any more and has no interest in drinking.

I have wild kids who love to party. The alcohol issue has been of real concern to dh and I but it seems to be sorting itself out. We are known as strict parents- but the kids are realising that many of their friends also have parents who are strict about alcohol, and they have found other friends who don't drink.

It was so much easier in so many ways when they were little!

Oh no---had no idea Australia had a big problem too!

And yes...it WAS so, so much easier when they were little ;)

I happens around here. Even some of my family members subscribe to the "kids will drink, so I will provide a safe place" idea. However, no matter how careful the adults may be, drunk kids = trouble. In our town, due to several high-profile fatal accidents involving teen drinking, police haul parents to jail if they provide alcohol to minors. The parents said they were holding the keys, but one of the parents was so drunk, he didn't notice that a kid took his keys and some kids for the last ride of their lives. In a couple towns over, after a night of drinking, some kids snuck out of the house and broke into an abandoned warehouse. It was not structurally safe and a kid fell to his death. The adult who was supposedly in charge of these kids thought that if she held the keys, they were safe. The parents were held legally liable and some have successfully been sued.

All I can say is that, if my kids drink in my house, that will be because dh and I decided that it is OK in the context of our family (we probably won't until they are college age because there is plenty of substance abuse in our family trees). However, I would be livid if another parent supplied this to my child!

I don't know anyone personally who would do this, but I know it happens, as there have been some really high-profile cases in the news over the past few years where the parents have done this, and kids have either driven off and gotten killed/killed someone else on the way home, or one girl wandered off from the party, fell face down in a swamp, passed out and drowned.

It is ILLEGAL and the parents can be arrested for doing this.

I have no problem with parents giving their own teenage children tastes of wine or beer - like a glass or less - in their own homes. That is an entirely different issue than providing kegs and shots for binge-drinking parties with other people's children in attendance. It boggles my mind.

This is how we raise our kids, too. I well remember my grandpa giving me hot toddies when I had a bad cold (I was quite young - 8 or so). As a matter of fact, when I'm chilled to the bone and can't get warm, they are still my first choice! :001_smile: When I was growing up, we had a Christmas tradition of homemade daiquiris (why, when we were living in Ohio amidst cold and snow we didn't have something warming, I have no idea!).

I have two 13yos, and my daughter likes to try a drink of my wine now and then, although she is not a fan of beer. My son doesn't like any of it. We have a Christmas morning tradition of mimosas, though they normally don't make it through their small glass. We have traveled internationally a lot, lived briefly in Asia, and have many friends scattered around the globe, most off of whom allow their kids to drink small amounts in their own homes (supervised).

With all that said, I would never serve alcohol to a minor who is not my own child, unless the other parent(s) were present and said it was okay (like mimosas on Christmas, for example).

Look at this link.

It looks like giving my own children alcohol in my own home is not illegal. I never knew this.

Yes, I have lived in several states where consumtion is not prohibited, and several in which there is a parental exception. It says that TN has exceptions but if so I do not know what they are. I have been informed by LEP that it is illegal, period but it is entirely possible that they did not know what they were talking about. I will have to research the laws here more.

Look at this link.

Interesting---we are in one of the Red---Prohibited states too. I guess the real problem that happens around here is that these kids really do end up alcoholics. It's a HUGE problem in this town----population 3000 with about 7 bars and no bookstores :001_huh: There are all sorts of fatal accidents every year here---but it seems to be AFTER these kids have graduated and either come home and drink and drive or are very much alcoholics by their 20s. It's such a small town though that I have never heard of a parent getting in trouble for supplying the alcohol---I suppose if a kid drove and got hurt or killed, there might be a big stink, but I have never seen it happen amazingly enough. I guess accordingly, the divorce rate in this little town is about 75-80% too.

We recently moved back to Wisconsin. Unfortunately, what you described is common here. It horrified me, even as a teenager, that parents would do this. But most turn a blind eye to the situation (esp. other parents). When teenagers die (as they do every year) while driving drunk, most people just shake their heads and say, "Too bad." :banghead: Sometimes I look around, and say to dh, "What were we THINKING [moving to WI]!!!" Sigh. Of course, there is some problem everywhere, as dh reminds me. In WI, it's alchohol. In Iowa, it was meth. Scary stuff.:001_huh:

But -- NO-- It's NOT okay.

WI is one of the states where it is legal for an adult to give their own children alcohol or at least it was when I lived there.

Yes, I have lived in several states where consumtion is not prohibited, and several in which there is a parental exception. It says that TN has exceptions but if so I do not know what they are. I have been informed by LEP that it is illegal, period but it is entirely possible that they did not know what they were talking about. I will have to research the laws here more.

I went to various sites and plenty of law enforcement sites said that Washington state it was illegal to give your own kids alcohol, but that isn't true. It's not like I'm going to crack open a bottle of wine and hand out the glasses, but it would be nice if people didn't try to hide the real law (through ignorance or not).

I went to various sites and plenty of law enforcement sites said that Washington state it was illegal to give your own kids alcohol, but that isn't true. It's not like I'm going to crack open a bottle of wine and hand out the glasses, but it would be nice if people didn't try to hide the real law (through ignorance or not).

The law in Washington says that you can give your kids alcohol on private, non alcohol selling premises, with parental consent. There is however, a specific law that prohibits hosting underage drinking parties unless everyone there is a family member.

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
clarity

I have not read all the responses, i'll get back to those, but my brother used to supply booze to my neice at home and she'd get totally drunk. I remember New Years Eve, when she was 18 and plastered.

My BIL bought kegs for his kids highschool graduation parties and they were all drunk.

I was thorougly discusted by it all!

The law in Washington says that you can give your kids alcohol on private, non alcohol selling premises, with parental consent. There is however, a specific law that prohibits hosting underage drinking parties unless everyone there is a family member.

Yes, that is true. I don't believe I said anything about giving other people's kids alcohol only your own.

As of 2005, TN didn't have an exemption per this table: http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/alcohol/alcbevcontweb/pages/t5.htm

Yes, that is true. I don't believe I said anything about giving other people's kids alcohol only your own.

You didn't, but the OP did.

Ok, apparently the only exemption in TN is religious use. Do you suppose celebrations in honor of Bacchanal/Dionysis count? :tongue_smilie:

I am fine with offering my children small amounts of alcohol in my home. Not to get drunk. I'm talking a small glass or watered down glass of a good wine or champagne. I was allowed the same growing up, especially around Passover. I am a big believer in making it normal and not shameful and to teach moderation with my children, because we have a family history of alcoholism and I have/had friends from other countries where this is normal and they have very healthy outlooks on alcohol consumption. I would NEVER give it to my children's friends, though. Or allow drunkenness.

My SIL posts pics of her and her kids taking tequila shots on facebook! So yeah, it goes on here too. I show my dh the pics and he's totally discusted by it all