Menu

A Schism in the HS Community?

Ok, so...if this happened, & "educators" & "Christians" parted ways...would that be so bad?

If the legalization of hs'ing a couple of decades ago (jeepers, is it 3 now?) gave rise to the growth of the hs industry, couldn't a split between these two warring camps give rise to the growth of secular hs materials?

Dh thinks it's preposterous, that anybody can hs. But...I'm thinking about it, & I don't think there's any hs material that teaches evolution. I know there's little in the way of secular history.

It would be a real bummer (to me) if the "education" side became ANTI-Christian, but barring that, I'd love to be a part of a community in which I was pretty confident that the mom next to me wasn't squirming because somebody else's statement of faith was excluding or belittling hers.

I'd love for Scripture to be sacred again, too, or literature at least, instead of a weapon. But that's really a different thread.

So what do you think--would a schism be so bad? Maybe it could have a different term. Propagation. The bi-caging of two crazed monkeys, because the one-cage deal is making them Really Hard to Feed. :D

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there's any hs material that teaches evolution. I know there's little in the way of secular history.

We are secular homeschoolers and have no trouble finding material on evolution and history. It may not be pre-packaged and ready to spoon feed, but it exists.

I deal with the debate by staying away from it. I don't have time for conventions anyway. :)

I have a hard time considering myself part of a "homeschool community" - our family's motivations for homeschooling are different from those of the families we have met. So, I don't fee personally invested in the fights.

Edited by regentrude

Ok, so...if this happened, & "educators" & "Christians" parted ways...would that be so bad?

If the legalization of hs'ing a couple of decades ago (jeepers, is it 3 now?) gave rise to the growth of the hs industry, couldn't a split between these two warring camps give rise to the growth of secular hs materials?

Dh thinks it's preposterous, that anybody can hs. But...I'm thinking about it, & I don't think there's any hs material that teaches evolution. I know there's little in the way of secular history.

It would be a real bummer (to me) if the "education" side became ANTI-Christian, but barring that, I'd love to be a part of a community in which I was pretty confident that the mom next to me wasn't squirming because somebody else's statement of faith was excluding or belittling hers.

I'd love for Scripture to be sacred again, too, or literature at least, instead of a weapon. But that's really a different thread.

So what do you think--would a schism be so bad? Maybe it could have a different term. Propagation. The bi-caging of two crazed monkeys, because the one-cage deal is making them Really Hard to Feed. :D

I have no answer to your question, but :lol::lol::lol: to the bolded.

I like to think it will not be that big of a deal.

However, the mindset of many homeschoolers who consider themselves part of the "roots" of homeschooling when it was illegal -- think that it has to be fundamental Christianity. I disagree with that point of view. But can understand the mindset. ;)

That demographic really needs to be aware of the "umbrella" under which current homeschooling is like. It is diverse. Not one thought or belief anymore. And I think the open view of all of us accepting each other's views on how to teach our children is great. Much akin to when I was a public schoolteacher and you had to be open to the new standards or methodologies in education. Change your paradigms.

I have a feeling that the group which Mr. Ham appeals to will not be receptive to this viewpoint. It doesn't bother me how they choose to educate their children -- but to judge other homeschoolers really is troublesome. I don't get that type of rude behavior. Legalism, basically. Which I do find quite sad.

ETA: I find a lot of great resources on the 'net that is secular. I try not to be locked into a curriculum boxed set, kwim? I'm electic and use lots of materials to teach with little textbooks if I can get away with it. Most likely due to my days as a schoolteacher and HATING the teacher's manual to teach a lesson.

Edited by tex-mex

However, the mindset of many homeschoolers who consider themselves part of the "roots" of homeschooling when it was illegal -- think that it has to be fundamental Christianity. I disagree with that point of view. But can understand the mindset. ;)

That demographic really needs to be aware of the "umbrella" under which current homeschooling is like. It is diverse. Not one thought or belief anymore. And I think the open view of all of us accepting each other's views on how to teach our children is great. Much akin to when I was a public schoolteacher and you had to be open to the new standards or methodologies in education. Change your paradigms.

I have a feeling that the group which Mr. Ham appeals to will not be receptive to this viewpoint. It doesn't bother me how they choose to educate their children -- but to judge other homeschoolers really is troublesome. I don't get that type of rude behavior. Legalism, basically. Which I do find quite sad.

ETA: I find a lot of great resources on the 'net that is secular. I try not to be locked into a curriculum boxed set, kwim? I'm electic and use lots of materials to teach with little textbooks if I can get away with it. Most likely due to my days as a schoolteacher and HATING the teacher's manual to teach a lesson.

:iagree: This sums up my feelings as well.

Well said. I can't be a good Christian while I am compelled to compromise on quality of education for my kids. I can't.

If a schism occurs, and yes, I think it is coming... I think it will fall down to fundamentalists and all the others. How well the others behave toward each other is up to us, I guess. I'm pretty sure I won't be invited to the other party.

But I think the increasing self-isolation of the most strident voices is a good thing. Then the rest of us thoughtful people (hopefully, a large segment of even the homeschooling population) can shut the door, metaphorically, on their silly rigid squabbling and get back to educating our kids our own way.

I think it will be more keenly felt in Christian circles, Aubrey. (Yeah for you and me!:glare:)

People will assume that b/c I am a Christian and I HS that....

Or they will assume that b/c they see certain books on my shelf that I....

The whole "not-Christian-enough" thing doesn't apply if you aren't a professing Christian in the first place.

I'm thinking my game-plan for irl is to avoid the topic. (Conservative Christian...dh in the ministry...I'm going to need LOTS of bean-dip.) "Quick kids! Hide our history books!!! The deacon and his wife are coming for dinner!!!!":tongue_smilie::auto:

If a schism occurs, and yes, I think it is coming... I think it will fall down to fundamentalists and all the others. How well the others behave toward each other is up to us, I guess. I'm pretty sure I won't be invited to the other party.

What she said.

But, yes, I actually look forward to it. I want science curricula like Biologos may put out (that way I can have my cake and eat it too). I want strictly secular curricula (for when I can't have my cake and eat it too), especially for subjects I may find myself weaker in.

There's always room in the market for something done well. Always. The universe doesn't know the meaning of "not enough room for everyone".

But I think the increasing self-isolation of the most strident voices is a good thing. Then the rest of us thoughtful people (hopefully, a large segment of even the homeschooling population) can shut the door, metaphorically, on their silly rigid squabbling and get back to educating our kids our own way.

Exactly! As homeschooling continues to grow, and it will, the Hams of the world will become a minority instead of the other way around.

I agree that change can be a good thing. I agree that certain elements isolating themselves could be a good thing. It makes it tricky for those of us who are Christian homeschoolers in leadership positions in the community-at-large who are *not* that type of Christian. :(

What about us young earth fundamentalists who don't want a split...who wish that everyone could just agree to disagree and move on it with it already...whose children are actually friends with some secular homeschoolers and we're okay with that... On which side do we end up?

I hate all this. I really, really hate it. An us against them mentality? Please, God, no.

This is an interesting topic to me. I was homeschooled for totally non-religious reasons and the only homeschool group near us was a Christian one. All of my homeschooled friends were Christians and it was tough on me and my mom because we did not share their beliefs and definitely felt judged from time to time.

Fast forward a decade and my much younger sister has been involved with homeschool groups that are Christian, secular, and mixed. So many more groups have sprung up around my hometown and that is really exciting to me. As long as Christians (I now include myself in that family) can stop judging those outside the church (which, I do believe, the Bible recommends we do), I do not necessarily foresee a divide. However, I know we're pretty bad at the not-judging thing and I've sensed a desire for exclusivity on both sides. I hope that the homeschooling community can stick together because I think that it is necessary in order for us to protect our right to educate our own children in the manner we see fit and to help others get started.

I think it will be more keenly felt in Christian circles, Aubrey. (Yeah for you and me!:glare:)

People will assume that b/c I am a Christian and I HS that.... I kinda like surprising people.

Or they will assume that b/c they see certain books on my shelf that I....

Nobody bothers to look at my bookshelves. Oh wait. Maybe that's because they're too overwhelming. Even the moving guy didn't believe me when I quoted the #. ;)

The whole "not-Christian-enough" thing doesn't apply if you aren't a professing Christian in the first place. I know what you mean, but still...I think you're underestimating the discomfort of people who aren't Christians in some homeschool circles.

I'm thinking my game-plan for irl is to avoid the topic. (Conservative Christian...dh in the ministry...I'm going to need LOTS of bean-dip.) "Quick kids! Hide our history books!!! The deacon and his wife are coming for dinner!!!!":tongue_smilie::auto:

I"m not hiding anything. People need to know they can be Christians & think, too.

What about us young earth fundamentalists who don't want a split...who wish that everyone could just agree to disagree and move on it with it already...whose children are actually friends with some secular homeschoolers and we're okay with that... On which side do we end up?

I hate all this. I really, really hate it. An us against them mentality? Please, God, no.

All I can say is :grouphug:s. I don't feel safe around homeschoolers that can say things like, "I wish there wasn't a literal Peter Enns." I know you wouldn't say that, but a poster on Ham's site did...and he left it up:glare:

It's not the YE I have a problem with, it's the dogmatic view against those who are not. I love Jesus, but I cannot fathom putting myself or kids in those types of enviroments. This opened up a wound that had been festering under the surface of the homeschool community. I'm sure it will calm down some, but things shifted for me that I can't quite explain :confused:.

I"m not hiding anything. People need to know they can be Christians & think, too.

:iagree:

:D If they saw my bookshelf, they would find a worn copy of Origion of the Species next to Philip Johnson books. I like looking at the whole picture. I am not afraid to read the other side as it were. [sorry, tired and lacking a better way to say that.]

FRT, they would also find my Mitford series as well. :tongue_smilie:

All I can say is :grouphug:s. I don't feel safe around homeschoolers that can say things like, "I wish there wasn't a literal Peter Enns." I know you wouldn't say that, but a poster on Ham's site did...and he left it up:glare:

It's not the YE I have a problem with, it's the dogmatic view against those who are not. I love Jesus, but I cannot fathom putting myself or kids in those types of enviroments. This opened up a wound that had been festering under the surface of the homeschool community. I'm sure it will calm down some, but things shifted for me that I can't quite explain :confused:.

Things have shifted for me as well. I've tried to stay away from it all (not visiting the facebook page, or Ham's site), but just what I've read here has been so distressing. That poster you mention? That is horrendous!!

It hasn't rocked my faith or anything, because my faith is not based on how people act, but it saddens me to my core that fellow Christians are acting in such an unChristian way.

I am concerned that division within the homeschool community will not favorably serve our cause at large (you know, a house divided cannot stand and all of that). I pray that I am wrong because, while I think a lot of homeschoolers appreciate the increasing diversity amongst our community, I am inclined to believe that the general population still tends to see us as one [politically and religiously conservative] homogenous group. To be honest, I don't think Ham is doing us any favors in terms of public opinion...well, if anyone outside of the homeschooling community even notices, that is. I guess I really have no idea of the number of his devotees; maybe they are relatively few but just tend to be a noisy bunch? :tongue_smilie:

True True! You are so right! That is simply difficult to communicate sometimes. (At which point, I'd rather not waste my time and energy throwing pearls to swine...sigh.)

I didn't mean to underestimate the discomfort of secular HSers ...I just mean that they can at least avoid that wretched conversation where someone is trying to fish out of you whether or not you are *that* kind of Christian.:001_smile:

I just read SWB's post in that other thread about 2 kinds of HSers...I am a Christian, but I HS for educational reasons (along with my opinions on basic child development, but...not strictly religious reasons iykwim).

A certain group "owned" state homeschool groups. But they weren't the only founders of homeschooling (don't forget the hippies and all. ;)) They didn't own everything, but conventions were there territory. Now someone else has cut in on the action. I don't think a war over conventions signals a huge change in the situation, just one sign of a slow process.

As for me, I tried a secular homeschool group, but people were mean to me because I was a Christian and because we used textbooks for some things. I didn't really fit in some Christian circles, either, because my dds are going to college, and I think that God wants us to learn about His world (and that we should not fear education, because God has control of all things.)

We have had this discussion here so many times. I think so many on this board don't fit either big group. I think the number who don't fit is growing. I think that causes growing pains.

This isn't true for everyone, everywhere. John Holt wasn't relgious, and I consider him the founder of hsing (what he called unschooling is not what it has become --radical unschooling is a different animal) as I know it. All these Christian names...I don't know them.

I think it's more that people are finally so tired of the rhetoric, and are wanting educational matierials without an agenda...they are finally speaking out. Non-religious hsers could never have done this/had such an impact.

It had to come from within.

I don't know any fundamental hsers IRL, and I have been hsing for over 9 years. I met my first large group of hsers 22 years ago at LLL meetings.

A certain group "owned" state homeschool groups. But they weren't the only founders of homeschooling (don't forget the hippies and all. ;)) They didn't own everything, but conventions were there territory. Now someone else has cut in on the action. I don't think a war over conventions signals a huge change in the situation, just one sign of a slow process.

As for me, I tried a secular homeschool group, but people were mean to me because I was a Christian and because we used textbooks for some things. I didn't really fit in some Christian circles, either, because my dds are going to college, and I think that God wants us to learn about His world (and that we should not fear education, because God has control of all things.)

We have had this discussion here so many times. I think so many on this board don't fit either big group. I think the number who don't fit is growing. I think that causes growing pains.

Edited by LibraryLover

I'm new to this but I'll ask anyway. Why does it have to be one or the other? I don't see homeschool as a secular or Christian thing I see it as a parenting thing. My children are my responsibility and I have problems with the public system but I have just as many problems with the private/Church school system and none of the problems will be fixed just for me or my children so I am going to step up and deucate them myself. Religion is not part of my decision my children's best interests are the motives and I am sure that that is the same motive of every parent here. Also remember most things are like the political spectrum and not actually a line they are a ring and the far right and the far left while completely opposite in motivation are almost identical in practice.

I agree, LL, the early hsers I know are atheist hippies. You are right that it is coming now because it is coming from within, from the mainstream hsers.

A speaker at the IL conference, Dorothy Werner, who worked with John Holt, said that homeschooling grew out of the school reform movement of the 1960s.

I agree, LL, the early hsers I know are atheist hippies. You are right that it is coming now because it is coming from within, from the mainstream hsers.

I do know a lot of 'hippies' who are interested in religion/have religion, but are not fundamentalists, fwiw. :)

The first hsers I met were/are Jewish. They ended up sending their children to a religious school for high school. They most certainly were not using fundamentalist Christian materials. :001_smile: John Holt was everywhere.

Well, people forget about the fact that fundamentalist Christians weren't the only homeschoolers who fought the good fight to make homeschooling legal. The hippy, John Holt-ish homeschoolers, the Waldorfy people, unschoolers, etc ... they wouldn't have been interested in materials like pre-packaged curriculum. They would have rejected anything so school-like. Often, these homeschoolers often look for materials that don't look like school - good books and innovative materials. Most homeschoolers I meet who are not in it for religious reasons are pretty independent - they would bristle at the thought of one-size fits all curriculum. They cobble together books, videos, hand-on activities, field trips, and other experiential learning and wear that uniqueness as a badge of honor.

The only people I meet IRL who are interested in school-at-home are the ones who want the kind of curriculum already out there. JME.

Guest Dulcimeramy

Agreeing about John Holt. "Teach Your Own" is the reason I started homeschooling.

I happen to be a very conservative Christian, but I do not join fundy hs groups and I do not share lifestyle ideals with that camp.

I'm homeschooling so that my children will know true freedom outside of school and so that they will have access to a world-class education.

I absolutely teach them religion and I share and live my values, but as far as I can tell the actual soul-saving will come from Jesus and not from a homeschool convention.

Anyway, I'm firmly in the 'education' camp, not the 'reclaim the nation' camp.

I do understand what you are saying, but that is not telling the whole story of what needs exisit. You would be surprised by what people want/ are looking for.

Plenty of 'hippie' people use/used materials. Nancy Wallace, a good friend of John Holt, raised two classical musicians. The folks - the Colfax family--who sent all of their hsers to Harvard... serious hsers on the unschooling spectrum... they used all sorts of materials. They are not Christian fundamentalists, not radical unschoolers. If they cobbled together, it was because they had to.

Waldorf is not, in any way, 'radical unschooling'.

It's true that some radicals are more vocal (and every group needs leaders; I have no qualms with that, or them). But most people are not radical unschoolers, even when they are 'unschooling'. There is a spectrum that has not been tapped, and pretty much ignored.

We have had to search high and low. I will tell you that many of these folks will use WTM materials. There are many of us refugees here.

Well, people forget about the fact that fundamentalist Christians weren't the only homeschoolers who fought the good fight to make homeschooling legal. The hippy, John Holt-ish homeschoolers, the Waldorfy people, unschoolers, etc ... they wouldn't have been interested in materials like pre-packaged curriculum. They would have rejected anything so school-like. Often, these homeschoolers often look for materials that don't look like school - good books and innovative materials. Most homeschoolers I meet who are not in it for religious reasons are pretty independent - they would bristle at the thought of one-size fits all curriculum. They cobble together books, videos, hand-on activities, field trips, and other experiential learning and wear that uniqueness as a badge of honor.

The only people I meet IRL who are interested in school-at-home are the ones who want the kind of curriculum already out there. JME.

Edited by LibraryLover

:iagree: I have been extremely upset about the whole thing.

Ah, a good scare about compulsory curriculum and all the homeschoolers will be screaming together, again.:001_smile: It is just a sign of how comfy people feel now.

Not necessarily. There are a lot of fundy Christian homeschoolers who claim ownership of the homeschooling movement and work to exclude secular homeschoolers. This was happening with the recent dust-up in IL. One group purported to speak for all homeschoolers in IL and tried to shut out any representation from secular homeschoolers at the hearing. Fortunately, Dorothy Werner was allowed to speak and I heard she did a fabulous job. They also met with the senator who started this whole thing - again - they did not invite any secular homeschoolers to join them. Unfortunately, there isn't much unity here.

Waldorf is not, in any way, 'radical unschooling'.

:iagree:We started out as a Waldorf family and gradually turned Classical (which really fits well with child development IMHO). Interestingly enough, Waldorf people can be just as bad as the Ken Ham types. Try showing up at a Waldorf playgroup with your kid in a Dora t-shirt or something. Ooooo baby you will get it. :leaving: But that's just me getting off topic. lol!

:iagree: I have been extremely upset about the whole thing.

I would think these folks would have the least conflict. If God wants a particular type of hs programming, one continues on as it's always been, right? You're not looking for anything more than what already exists? No? I don't want that to sound wrong...I am sorry if it does. I am really trying to understand...:grouphug:

You're not searching for programs?

Completely 100% foreseeable as the community of home education has expanded way beyond the borders of fundamentalist Christianity as its driving force. You should see what Ham is putting forth on facebook about the evangelical community as well. It is truly a divisive, vicious and unparalleled attack on any mode of reading the Bible other than as both science and history literally. There is no doubt in my mind that this was unavoidable as those who brook no ideas or interpretations other than their own are doomed to run into a brick wall. The ability to entertain a thought without agreeing to it is the hallmark of an educated gentleman or gentlelady. Apparently this concept is lost on his ilk.

:iagree:We started out as a Waldorf family and gradually turned Classical (which really fits well with child development IMHO). Interestingly enough, Waldorf people can be just as bad as the Ken Ham types. Try showing up at a Waldorf playgroup with your kid in a Dora t-shirt or something. Ooooo baby you will get it. :leaving: But that's just me getting off topic. lol!

:iagree: Everybody judges, I guess. I remember one mom saying that she wasn't mainstream enough for the mainstream group, and not alternative enough for the alternative group.

:iagree:We had to stop thinking straight Waldorf when my 4 year old was reading the handouts at the Walorf playgroup meeting. "I think you've put academics before imagination. This should be a message that you need to focus on other areas of his life."

Really? I didn't teach him, he learned the same way he learned to breathe. He just did it. We were inadequate parents from the get-go.

Edited by LibraryLover

:iagree: I have a hard time fitting in with either group. What about those of us who homeschool for religious *and* educational reasons? These past few weeks have been rather eye-opening, and completely confusing, all at once. :(

Completely 100% foreseeable as the community of home education has expanded way beyond the borders of fundamentalist Christianity as its driving force. You should see what Ham is putting forth on facebook about the evangelical community as well. It is truly a divisive, vicious and unparalleled attack on any mode of reading the Bible other than as both science and history literally. There is no doubt in my mind that this was unavoidable as those who brook no ideas or interpretations other than their own are doomed to run into a brick wall. The ability to entertain a thought without agreeing to it is the hallmark of an educated gentleman or gentlelady. Apparently this concept is lost on his ilk.

While religious fundamentalists may be the majority of homeschoolers (I don't know), they didn't start the homeschooling movement.

Religion comes after reason, I think, as in Christians who say they believe in "theistic evolution". They believe in the truth of science, and try to reconcile it with their religious beliefs.

Not necessarily. There are a lot of fundy Christian homeschoolers who claim ownership of the homeschooling movement and work to exclude secular homeschoolers.

:iagree: Ironically, the same group does not realize how hsing really started as a movement. But that is a whole different thread. I personally encountered homeschooling as a schoolteacher in the 80's & 90's by fundamental Christian groups. Recently, I was shocked to hear one of my support group members complain how many "new" hsers there are that are not like the "old days" of homeschooling. Referring to ATI curriculum and fundamentalism, basically. Yoikes. :001_huh:

Recently, I was shocked to hear one of my support group members complain how many "new" hsers there are that are not like the "old days" of homeschooling.

That makes me so incredibly sad! :( I think it's great that so many people are trying homeschooling. The more the merrier I say. I cannot imagine the impact in my family if PS was the only option that I had for my children. Shudder. My boundary schools are awful.

Edited by Ibbygirl

That makes me so incredibly sad! :( I think it's great that so many people are trying homeschooling. The more the merrier I say.

I agree. I was so taken aback, I eventually had to leave the group. The woman who said it had homeschooled since the mid-90's. I respect where she is coming from, but she could not respect others who were different. That part was very narrow minded and I do not think she understood how it offended others. That part made me feel sorry for her.