Menu

Daughter's unexplained bruising - sensitive issue

Dd11 has a rare genetic syndrome. She is profoundly MR with autistic traits, can have some difficult behaviors, but is our sweet little gem. She walks and is extremely active, but is non-verbal, incontinent, and requires constant supervision to keep her safe.

She bruises very easily. She has little dings on her legs from bumping them into chairs, etc.

She goes to a special classroom during the day. On the weekends we have a young home health aide who helps. She's been with us for a couple of years, so we trust her to take her out in the community to run errands, etc. She had her out most of the day today. Tonight, when I got her ready for bed, I saw marks on the back of both shoulders. They were red with a purplish tinge, a sequence of three or four small bruises on the back of each shoulder. I realized that if you stand in front of her and put your hands on her shoulders, your fingers line up perfectly where the marks are. Someone would have to grab and squeeze pretty hard to leave bruises like that.

It's so hard because dd can't say what happened, and I don't want to jump to conclusions. She has a half dozen aids in her classroom, a bus aid, and a home health aide. So many people to take care of her, so many people to potentially hurt her.

I feel like I'm losing perspective, so I'm just posting this and going to bed. Dh wanted to take pictures just in case. I'm posting one here to see if anyone has any thoughts on whether it seems like a bruise that could have happened a day or two ago in school, or one that could have happened today. The thing is, I can't be sure I really got a good look at her back last night or this morning. I think I saw her back this morning getting her dressed, but I can't be absolutely certain.

The aide is coming over again tomorrow. It just so happens her supervisor is coming for a monthly check-in. I don't know what to do. I know the worst thing in the world is being suspected of hurting a child, the stigma lasts forever. But she has bruises. Someone hurt her. Maybe not terribly and maybe not with malice, but enough to leave bruises.

I'm tired and have a headache. I'm not sure what to think right now, and I really could use your thoughts.

Lisa

post-1162-13535084370271_thumb.jpg

post-1162-13535084370879_thumb.jpg

post-1162-13535084370271_thumb.jpg

post-1162-13535084370879_thumb.jpg

Does she wear a back pack?

I am no expert, and only assess full grown adults, but I'm use to more fingerprinty things. These are too "bar-like" for what I usually see (I examine people who have been in documented "take-downs"). Also, they don't look like they happened today. The brownishness in the pics I saw are more the 24-72 range.

:grouphug: I would be distressed until I figured this one out.

Does she wear a back pack?

I am no expert, and only assess full grown adults, but I'm use to more fingerprinty things. These are too "bar-like" for what I usually see (I examine people who have been in documented "take-downs"). Also, they don't look like they happened today. The brownishness in the pics I saw are more the 24-72 range.

:grouphug: I would be distressed until I figured this one out.

No, no backpack.

It's hard to see in the pictures, but they do appear to be more separate, circular bruises than the one long one it looks like in the picture. Also, there's a faint mark on the front of the shoulder where the thumb would have been.

Thanks for your thoughts,

lisa

:grouphug: I'd be equally distressed, Lisa. It's every parent's worst nightmare, especially with our special ones who can't explain what happened. I'll be praying for you and your sweet girl. I pray she will not remember what happened to her. I pray happy thoughts for her. :grouphug:

Oh, your poor baby! :( I'm so sorry.

I don't know what to say other than agree that it looks like finger marks. I would speak to the supervisor, and if she doesn't handle it quickly, I would report it to the appropriate authorities.

This table might be helpful:

[ATTACH]4251[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the table:)

I can only imagine how scary it is to worry about someone hurting your precious dd. :grouphug: I think if it were me, I would notify every possible agency whose employees could have left the marks. Not to accuse, but just to make sure that everyone knows you are aware, and will be watching. If someone did put their hands on your dd in an inappropriate way, knowing that you are keeping an eye out may be enough to stop them from doing it again.

Could someone have grabbed her in order to keep her out of the street, or out of the way of a ball on the playground? Do they look like that, or more like someone was shaking her?

I'm so sorry--I can't imagine how stressful this must be.

While that scenario is certainly understandable (There have been many times we've had to grab her quickly to pull her out of the way of danger), the position and symetry of the bruises don't really jive with that. It would be more likely to be a grab mark on her arm, but not both shoulders while standing in front.

Believe me, we are very used to seeing bruises on her and tend to be very relaxed because we know how easily she hurts herself, bumping into things, etc. Anything that can be explained away, we look over it and move on. But this is different. She didn't do this to herself:sad:

Could this possibly have happened by a student at the school? I cannot see the seperations very well, but do they look the size of an adults fingers or a child about her age?

They definitely look adult size to me. There are only four other kids in her classroom, and they either are immobile and in wheelchairs or lack the motor control to do something like this.

Her sisters all dote on her and absolutely love her, so that isn't a consideration either.

thanks,

lisa

I think I would ask the school and the aide (with out accusing at first) about any situations that may have happened. Obviously somebody knows something. Something like that wouldnt just appear the way it has. Maybe something completely innocent happened and they didnt think to tell you? (let hope for this to be the case :sad:) Also watch how they act incase there was some frustration or something. See if their body language changes. Ask the home heath aide and the school. (who ever interacts with her) I would ask the home health aides supervisor what she thinks (again, not accusingly) about how this could have happened.

I used to be a home health aide, and everybody that I know and worked with LOVED the people they (myself included) took care of. We kinda form this special attachment. I could not imagine somebody you had for years doing something like that, but you never know. Unfortunately you can never rule anything out either until you know. :001_huh:

I do not bruise the same day as an injury...I'm guessing most people don't?? I often discover a bruise on me and have trouble remembering if I walked into a table or what. So I would not think the bruises happened today.

If it happened to my dd (and I have a non-verbal disabled child in a life skills class with lots of aides who bruises easily), I would talk to the head teacher to find out what may have caused bruising on her back. I would not say that I thought a person did this to her--I would be trying to get more information on what may have happened during her day. My dd had bruises on the outside of her knees (she's a wheelchair kid). I don't think anyone was hitting her legs--I just asked them to be alert to how she was sitting at desks and tables. Just bringing up the topic should have the teacher being more alert, talking to her aides, etc. If there was an innocent incident I would think they would bring that back to you. If anything not so innocent happened, the discussion could help make sure it doesn't happen again.

I'm so sorry about your sweet dd. :grouphug: I agree with the other poster who said to just ask every agency and person who cares for her if something happened last week and just mention the marks you discovered. I'm so sorry. My son is also profoundly Autistic and non-verbal. I know how you must be feeling right now. Hopefully there is a good explanation and it will be resolved quickly. :grouphug: to you and your precious girl. :grouphug:

Any possibility that dd did it to herself? DD4, used to wrap her arms around her front, grab her own arms and squeeze soooo hard that she would bruise herself. She did it if she got angry, and it would look like someone grabbed her arms from the front.

If I hadn't seen her do it myself, I would have insisted someone had done it to her.

I can easily reach and make fingerprints in positions similar to what your picture looks. Even if all the fingers don't line up on one hand, it could be that she did it more than once.

Another thought...does she need diaper/pull up changes? Could they be from someone moving her about, assisting her to a sitting position?

I realized that if you stand in front of her and put your hands on her shoulders, your fingers line up perfectly where the marks are.

Did you try to line your hands up with the bruises? It seems to me that hands would make marks going in the other direction, slanting down on the sides instead of up. To make marks like this, I would have to twist my wrists in, which would be difficult with a neck/face in front of my wrists. The bruising does not seem like a natural way to grab someone, whatever the intent.

What if you mentioned the bruises to the HHA, enlisting her help in noticing anything unusual about your dd, other unusual bruises or behavior that might indicate something was going on. You said you are (understandably) reluctant to accuse. IF she's hurting your dd, it would put her on notice; if it is someone else in your dd's larger circle of caretakers/outside people, the HHA might be tuned in well enough to your dd after these years to notice if something stands out.

I am so sorry. This would be scary and unnerving.

Did you try to line your hands up with the bruises? It seems to me that hands would make marks going in the other direction, slanting down on the sides instead of up. To make marks like this, I would have to twist my wrists in, which would be difficult with a neck/face in front of my wrists. The bruising does not seem like a natural way to grab someone, whatever the intent.

:iagree: The angle just isn't right. Didn't you write that the bruising on the front was up on her shoulder? Unless the bruising on her front is just above her armpit, it seems unlikely to me that someone grabbed her, as their fingers wouldn't be in that position.

You wrote that she bruises very easily. If the front bruise is up at collarbone level or above, could she have done it to herself while trying to "fix" some back/shoulder discomfort by squeezing the sore muscles? The angle does seem right for how her hands would fit her own shoulders.

I hope you solve the mystery soon. :grouphug:

Definitely ask at the school if something happened. At least you will be putting them on notice that you are monitoring your daughter carefully, and maybe they will be more careful to see that nothing of the sort happens to her at the school. I would also mention it to the weekend aide. Not in an accusatory tone, but just to let her know that dd is hurt in that area. And that will also reinforce with her that you are aware of and concerned about what happens to your daughter.

:grouphug:

Just a thought, have you had her seen by a doctor recently for the bruises?

I only ask, because my littlest one use to bruise ALOT. He was soooo active and clumsy and just a 3year old, that I didnt put much thought into it. I then started noticing bruises in odd locations that just shouldnt be possible. He would have them on his shoulder blades, on his scalp (he was so blonde it was almost white, so I could see all bruises easily), and on his wrist (in the shape of my fingers) from holding his hand, and behind his ears (from my medical training those are signs of head injury). The backs of his legs just below his bum was a solid sheet of purple (we later found out it was from when he would sit on the potty). It looked like someone hit him with a 2x4! I wanted to take him in to the ER and my husband made us wait till we were able to get into his pedi doc cause she would know us and we wouldnt be accused of abuse, cause he really looked like it. I questioned who was doing what to him. I was scard. Long story short, they did blood work on him and he had something called ITP. Its basically a temporary bleeding issue caused by a virus triggering his body to attack his own platelets. Just holding his hand caused his to bruise. Unfortantly for him at that time he was critically low, but even a mild case of ITP will cause easy bruising in odd locations from normal contact that wouldnt affect most people.

Its just an idea. Its scary to think someone would purposly hurt a child, and would love to see it be something more innocent. Good luck, and hugs!

(I appologize for any spelling errors, my spell check isnt working for some reason)

They certainly do not look like anything your daughter could have done to herself nor do they appear to be from lifting. This is just very, very unsettling. I am sorry that you have to consider the possibility that a person might have injured your young lady. If it were a mark from being moved form one place to another and put forcefully in a chair repeatedly that could cause a mark such as this. I would definitely go through a day in the life and analyze who was alone with her and certainly mention it to those to whom you have entrusted with her daily care. I am sorry and deeply, deeply saddened that you have to ask these questions. I just cannot imagine.

Thank you ladies so much for your thoughts and suggestions.

We talked with our HHA today, very gently and non-accusing, and I feel comfortable that she did not do anything to cause them. I am more inclined to believe they happened during her school day. I'm e-mailing the teacher tonight to let her know about them so she can document it, and we will talk tomorrow.

I used to be a home health aide, and everybody that I know and worked with LOVED the people they (myself included) took care of. We kinda form this special attachment. I could not imagine somebody you had for years doing something like that, but you never know. Unfortunately you can never rule anything out either until you know. :001_huh:

We have an aide during the week who comes after school most days for a couple hours to help. She's been working with dd for several years and has the most special relationship with her. I would trust her with dd anywhere, anytime. We are very blessed to have her.

Does she have anger problems? Could they have been trying to kinda get her to settle... and not really to hurt her?

No, no anger issues at all. She is always very happy, but she is VERY active, has bundles of energy, and knows no boundaries. She is always trying to open the classroom door and run out. Also, her new thing is she jumps up and down in place over and over again, especially when excited. I could possibly picture someone grabbing her shoulders and pushing down to make her stop?

If it happened to my dd (and I have a non-verbal disabled child in a life skills class with lots of aides who bruises easily), I would talk to the head teacher to find out what may have caused bruising on her back.

Ali, :grouphug:, so you understand. That's good advice, and I will be talking to her teacher tomorrow.

Any possibility that dd did it to herself? DD4, used to wrap her arms around her front, grab her own arms and squeeze soooo hard that she would bruise herself. She did it if she got angry, and it would look like someone grabbed her arms from the front.

Another thought...does she need diaper/pull up changes? Could they be from someone moving her about, assisting her to a sitting position?

That's a good thought; however, dd would not be able to wrap her arms around and cause that for a number of reasons. Mainly, she does not have the coordination really. As far as the diaper changing - she does need to be changed throughout the day, but they change her standing up in the bathroom, not lying down.

It's difficult to see in the picture, but I actually could quite easily line up my fingers with the bruises. Standing in front of her with my hands over her shoulders, palms not in the middle of her shoulder but at the distal end, I could be in a position to push her down; say from a standing to sitting position, or to make her stop jumping. Hard to translate in pictures, sorry:)

Any chance someone might have reason (or didn't even really have reason but may have) *lifted* her? I think the thumb/fingers kind of thing would line up very similarly if you were to come from *under* the armpits and lift .... ?

This is actually a very good thought; she certainly plops to the ground when she wants and I could see someone trying to help her up. But I tried to position my hands under her armpits and just couldn't get my fingers anywhere near the bruises.

Just a thought, have you had her seen by a doctor recently for the bruises? [clipped here for length] . . .Long story short, they did blood work on him and he had something called ITP. Its basically a temporary bleeding issue caused by a virus triggering his body to attack his own platelets. Just holding his hand caused his to bruise. Unfortantly for him at that time he was critically low, but even a mild case of ITP will cause easy bruising in odd locations from normal contact that wouldnt affect most people.

Thanks for the suggestion. Dd has frequent bloodwork because of seizure medication she is on. Maybe for her next lab I can ask about this. Although she bruises on the easy side, I don't think it is nearly as bad as what you've described.

They certainly do not look like anything your daughter could have done to herself nor do they appear to be from lifting. This is just very, very unsettling. I am sorry that you have to consider the possibility that a person might have injured your young lady. If it were a mark from being moved form one place to another and put forcefully in a chair repeatedly that could cause a mark such as this. I would definitely go through a day in the life and analyze who was alone with her and certainly mention it to those to whom you have entrusted with her daily care. I am sorry and deeply, deeply saddened that you have to ask these questions. I just cannot imagine.

Yes, Elizabeth, my thoughts exactly.

I know I'll never know exactly what happened. I guess what's so upsetting is that every so often I realize just how vulnerable she is. I know children with developmental disabilities are at an increased risk of abuse. I don't want to live in fear and paranoia, but I need to be very vigilant about keeping her safe and protected also. It's a balance, I guess.

Having this happen, whether anything gets resolved or not, has opened up some old fears of mine. She is growing up and is a very beautiful girl. She does not talk. She does not understand most of what is said and going on around her. She is in the body of a young lady, but the cognitive development of a 10 month old. The scary truth is that there is a very good chance that she will be abused in her life by someone who is supposed to care for her. Even though we always plan for her to live at home with us, what happens when we're gone?

Sorry, just worn out tonight and thinking too much. One day at a time. In the meantime, her classroom will know that I go over her body head to toe morning and night and will document ANYTHING that seems out of sorts.

Thank you ladies so much,

lisa

:grouphug: As the mom of a special needs guy that sounds very similar to your girl, I can totally relate to that vulnerable feeling. Raising these kids is such a big job, and we can't do it alone. Still, it's hard to let them out of site.

Thank you ladies so much for your thoughts and suggestions.

We talked with our HHA today, very gently and non-accusing, and I feel comfortable that she did not do anything to cause them. I am more inclined to believe they happened during her school day. I'm e-mailing the teacher tonight to let her know about them so she can document it, and we will talk tomorrow.

We have an aide during the week who comes after school most days for a couple hours to help. She's been working with dd for several years and has the most special relationship with her. I would trust her with dd anywhere, anytime. We are very blessed to have her.

No, no anger issues at all. She is always very happy, but she is VERY active, has bundles of energy, and knows no boundaries. She is always trying to open the classroom door and run out. Also, her new thing is she jumps up and down in place over and over again, especially when excited. I could possibly picture someone grabbing her shoulders and pushing down to make her stop?

Ali, :grouphug:, so you understand. That's good advice, and I will be talking to her teacher tomorrow.

That's a good thought; however, dd would not be able to wrap her arms around and cause that for a number of reasons. Mainly, she does not have the coordination really. As far as the diaper changing - she does need to be changed throughout the day, but they change her standing up in the bathroom, not lying down.

It's difficult to see in the picture, but I actually could quite easily line up my fingers with the bruises. Standing in front of her with my hands over her shoulders, palms not in the middle of her shoulder but at the distal end, I could be in a position to push her down; say from a standing to sitting position, or to make her stop jumping. Hard to translate in pictures, sorry:)

This is actually a very good thought; she certainly plops to the ground when she wants and I could see someone trying to help her up. But I tried to position my hands under her armpits and just couldn't get my fingers anywhere near the bruises.

Thanks for the suggestion. Dd has frequent bloodwork because of seizure medication she is on. Maybe for her next lab I can ask about this. Although she bruises on the easy side, I don't think it is nearly as bad as what you've described.

Yes, Elizabeth, my thoughts exactly.

I know I'll never know exactly what happened. I guess what's so upsetting is that every so often I realize just how vulnerable she is. I know children with developmental disabilities are at an increased risk of abuse. I don't want to live in fear and paranoia, but I need to be very vigilant about keeping her safe and protected also. It's a balance, I guess.

Having this happen, whether anything gets resolved or not, has opened up some old fears of mine. She is growing up and is a very beautiful girl. She does not talk. She does not understand most of what is said and going on around her. She is in the body of a young lady, but the cognitive development of a 10 month old. The scary truth is that there is a very good chance that she will be abused in her life by someone who is supposed to care for her. Even though we always plan for her to live at home with us, what happens when we're gone?

Sorry, just worn out tonight and thinking too much. One day at a time. In the meantime, her classroom will know that I go over her body head to toe morning and night and will document ANYTHING that seems out of sorts.

Thank you ladies so much,

lisa

Oh how upsetting! :grouphug:

I haven't read the whole thread, so my apologies if this has already been mentioned, but does she take fish oil?

I realized my kids' fish oil dose was too high when I bruised my older daughter by grabbing her arm at the shoulder. I was so horrified. I knew I hadn't grabbed her violently, but I found clear finger mark bruises. I knew it must have been me that caused them, as she hadn't been around anyone other than her little sister that day. (We do daily tick checks, so the bruises had to have formed in the preceding 24 hours.) Then I remembered that I had noticed I was bruising more easily than usual too. We all backed off on our fish oil, and the bruising stopped.

Edited by jplain

If by chance she is on Depakote for seizures, one of the side effects is bruising more easily. This is the case with my dd.

As you said, one day at a time! Hope all goes well with the school.

Yes, she is on Depakote. I talked to the doctor this morning about doing some bloodwork also.

Lisa