Menu

What age do you start leaving kids home alone?

All of my children didn't even show an inclination to want to be left home alone until they were at least 10 years old.

DH and I started having a date night when oldest dd was 15 and the other two were 9 and 11. Otherwise, my children always wanted to go with me everywhere!

My girls are 12 and 3. I just started leaving them home when I return movies or run to the store to get milk. It is about 20 minutes at a time and during the day. I will leave the 12 yr old home alone for a couple of hours while I take the 3 yr old to story time at the library.

My ds took a "home alone" class at the local rec center at age 8. Then we started the short errands.

Same age for dd, except no class. I think I went through book on the topic with her.

They did not stay home alone together until the oldest with 12. I didn't leave my youngest with either of them until each was 12. This step involved babysitting instruction.

Make sure they know how to handle a variety of situations. My neighbor didn't let her kids answer the phone, until I pointed out to her, what if she were calling because she had gotten stuck somewhere and needed to give them directions. I advise learning to recognize numbers on caller id and listening to the answering machine to screen unknown numbers (you could be calling from someone else's phone). Once when ds was 10, I got stuck out because of a tornado warning. Ds had heard it on the radio, he took a book and a pillow to the basement and set himself up under his dad's workbench against an inside wall. He turned the tv up very loud so he could hear news updates. I knew while I was stuck where I was, he was fine.

You also need to judge your own dc's common sense and responsibility. If a child cannot be trusted to walk to the next door neighbor's without taking an unauthorized detour then maybe the child isn't ready to be responsible for himself.

Yea, I'm at this point too. My dd is 11 1/2 and will turn 12 in May. I "may" test the waters so to speak to see how she does. I'm planning on leaving for 15-20 minutes to go to the store or something like that to see how she does.

My dh was expecting FedEx pkgs from overseas. Sure enough I took a late shower and was just starting to get dressed when the doorbell rang! DING! I told my dd to tell the person to wait a couple of minutes. Instead of dressing I threw my dh's robe on...I don't have a robe. To my surprise my dd was "unlocking" our exterior door to tell this person. UGH!! :confused:

It happened to be a woman, but I don't care if the person is black, white, purple, polka dotted, male or female she is NOT to open the door to anyone. I taught her this. More than likely nothing would happen, but you never know. Now, if she did this while I left she at home, well, who knows the consequences.

She apparantly couldn't reason that she needed to talk loudly and that she could talk through the glass door.

What is a Mom to do? Honestly, you teach, teach and teach more, but this happens.

Still, I'll have to "wean" her into this phase. I would at some point let her stay home alone while I went out to exercise which could take about 1 hour.

I would be ok with leaving my 10 y/o ds home alone for a short period of time (30 min), but I'm not sure I'd leave his younger siblings with him. Probably not since I'm unsure. Honestly, I'm starting to seriously doubt leaving the boys alone with my 16 y/o step-son anymore either. That has to do with the 16 y/o behavior though and nothing else. That's a whole 'nuther story!

Mine are 12 and 9, and I don't think they are ready for that yet. DS12 is still too immature, and DS9 is scared if I take a nap. Plus, we live at least 15 - 20 minutes to anything (we are in the woods), so a quick trip would be at least 30 - 40 minutes just for drive time :(

My oldest dd was 13 when I started leaving her home alone for up to an hour at a time. I did not start leaving the littles home with her until she was 15.

My dd8 will probably be allowed to stay home alone for short amounts of time when she's 10.

My ds8 will probably be allowed to stay home alone when he moved out and has his own place. :D

Tara

We start leaving the kids home alone when they're 10 for short periods.

I left all four of them home alone while dh and I went to a party a mile from our house when the oldest was 14. We've done that a couple times since.

I now regularly leave the older three boys home alone for as long as needed. I love the freedom!!!

I'm wondering what the average age for letting kids stay home for short amounts of time while running errands. 30-1 hr Max.

:lurk5:

Depends on the kid. My dd is 16 months older than ds, but he had it "together" a lot younger than she did. I probably wouldn't have left her alone until she was 12 (and she wasn't comfortable being alone), but I started leaving them home together when ds was 10 (dd was then 11 1/2). I figured he could handle things and take care of her if anything happened.

FWIW, my brother and his family live just two doors down. I always made sure they were home before I went anywhere.

Our 5yodd is very aware, and on top of things. She may be ready earlier, but I probably won't leave her until she is 10. She will probably be the only child by then, because the other two will be college age.

I agree that it depends more on maturity level than age. My 10 year old is extremely responsible. My almost 9 year old....not so much!

My sister had an emergency so I had to run and pick my neice up from pre-school during my daughters nap time. I felt fine leaving my 10 year old home with the other two for the 15 minutes I took me to run the errand. I knew if DD woke up from her nap, he would go get her, change her diaper and get her some juice. He is very intuitive when it comes to caring for the younger two.

I'd also make sure they knew how to use the phone, and what to do in emergencies (tornado siren, smoke alarm, etc)

My middle son probably will not be left home alone until he is 18!

I've just started leaving my 11-year-old ds home alone when I need to run my daughter to a local playdate or lesson. I'm usually gone about 30 minutes and I feel comfortable with that. He's doing well enough with his phone skills that I'm sure I'll be okay with leaving him alone for an hour soon.

The only problem here is that my son has severe food allergies, so I always make sure that he knows not to eat anything while I'm gone. I definitely think it's time for a refresher on the epipen (haven't had to use it since he was a baby) and the symptoms he might experience if an epipen should be used.

I wonder if there is a checklist out there somewhere that lists skills kids should have if you are going to leave them at home? You know, things like to immediately vacate the house if there is a fire (without gathering your legos) or who to go to in case of an emergency.

Lisa

I wonder if there is a checklist out there somewhere that lists skills kids should have if you are going to leave them at home? You know, things like to immediately vacate the house if there is a fire (without gathering your legos) or who to go to in case of an emergency

What about some of these?

http://life.familyeducation.com/parenting/safety/34470.html

I agree it depends a lot on your kids and whether they are likely to get into mischief or do something silly. My 2 are close in age and dh and I used to put on a video for them and go for walks when they were around 4 and 5, and soon after that go for short errands. By the time they were 7 and 8 we would ocasionally go to a movie or shopping. But they are very sensible kids and loved to be trusted. We didnt even hav emobile phones back then, but they did know to go to the neighbours if there was any emergency, and they had phone numbers to ring too.

Dh has a dd who is 5 years older than our dd, and we woudl never leave her alone with our kids- she would be a liability to them. She is ADD and lacks- even now- the normal sort of common sense and boundaries that most people develop.